• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would love a Medieval 2 Remake but I hate shadow drops. So I really hope it's announced but not immediately released.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
daniel.gif

One of my first Playstation memories was with Sir Dan.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Guess it's gonna flop again.

Seriously, this cannot be something Sony though would help diversify their PS5 portfolio.

Ape Escape is right there! Hell, give Konami some money and make Bishi Bashi as fun party game

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's also the alleged movie or tv show that is in production. Might be that Sony wants this as a tie-in for it since it would be cheaper and less risky than a new game, if this is true.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
MediEvil 2 was not as good as 1 to me, but I think a remake could fix a lot of things about it

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
MediEvil 2, you say?

The idea of Sony even having any interest of remaking something from later than 2013, let alone an older IP, is probably sufficient enough to just disregard anything from this leaker.

But please...please...with a cherry on top...please...Please Sony...please...I'll buy 2...please

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I have a ton of nostalgia for the second game (one of the few games my dad would play with me). So I'd be totally ok with this if it was true.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I believed this rumor when it was just "MediEvil 2 is getting a remake"

but shadowdropping it sounds unrealistic. who the hell is gonna get hype for that other than us diehard fans lol

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
That's awesome. The first remake was very faithful and very well-done. I've never played the sequel, so I'm excited if this is true

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this is happening, they definitely need to add some QoL improvements to MediEvil 2. There are things 2 improved upon with the first game but it also had some really odd terrible changes. Namely the fact that the fountains of health become permanently gone once you use them up. They need to scrap that feature and have them actually reset in levels like the first game, because MediEvil 2 is already significantly harder than 1 and then becomes frustrating by restricting your way to gain back health.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
Is the second episode any good ?
I could never get into this series, I feel like the tim burtonesque Art direction, music and overall plot of the character are really great but the gameplay was really wonky and subpar. It didn't help that they only mostly modernized the visuals last time
I wish they would try to modernize the gameplay and do a reboot of sorts instead of these remasters / remakes for games where gameplay hasn't really aged well

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I hope they actually modernized the game this time, cause MediEvil 1 aged horribly.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I dunno, I had a lot of fun with it.

I'm also 37 years old and have an affinity for that era of "we're figuring out 3D action game" shtick.

I think that's the key difference. I have NO nostalgia for the series, tried MediEvil and gave up. And I really gave it an earnest attempt, but my view was "yeah this was before 3D action games were actually good."

And if Sony is going to try this again, I see no point in doing the "keep it exactly like the original, but prettier" strategy when it clearly didn't work, as sales and review scores show.

wiIdcard

Oct 25, 2018
We know first remake sold 500k in the first three months. It probably sold at least another 500k since then with discounts. And the budget is likely tiny

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Whoa, that would be awesome if true.

Was kind of sad to hear nothing after the first remake, thinking maybe it didn't do so well.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also, at people saying how clunky and horrible MediEvil's gameplay is, you should try playing any of Sony Cambridge's (original MediEvil devs) other games. MediEvil is actually their best playing game after Killzone: Mercenary.

Primal especially has got to be the worst playing high budget first party game in the history of Sony. Playing 5 minutes of it makes you want to play Devil May Cry 2 lol

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Why all of a sudden are people so concerned about sales. Not the revival you want?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Why all of a sudden are people so concerned about sales. Not the revival you want?
Im just very skeptical about Sony wanting to make another MediEvil remake 5 years after the first one came out to mixed reviews. And a shadowdrop release too? Idk this sounds like BS.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Every time Medievil continues to survive against the odds, I'm always briefly like "heck yeah" and then remember that the remake for the 1 was faithful to a fault, for a game that was already pretty wonky at the time of the OG release.
So with 2, should I be cautiously optimistic? did the gameplay improve enough back in the day that a straight graphical remake might be worth the seven outta ten time?

Yuri P

Oct 28, 2017
GR2 + MediEvil shadowdrop in 1 show certainly makes it a lot harder to believe but I hope it's true

Is there any reason why MediEvil 1 has multiple remakes and 2 is still only on PS1?

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
GR2 + MediEvil shadowdrop in 1 show certainly makes it a lot harder to believe but I hope it's true

Is there any reason why MediEvil 1 has multiple remakes and 2 is still only on PS1?
Well the first PSP remake got made as a cheaper alternative after a PS2 MediEvil 3 was shot down. Then I can only assume budget concerns were why they did not remake both games on PS4.

Weirdly though, 2 was never even been released on the digital store. MediEvil 1 got put on the PlayStation Classics for the PS3 era, and both it and the PSP remake just got a new re-release on PS4 and 5. MediEvil 2 still continues to be excluded from the store, and I do not know why.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I hadn't considered this but that IS weird.

Like, MediEvil was never as successful as Ape Escape, was it? I think lots of people aren't even aware that there was ever a 2nd game.

Not complaining: I don't need to play Ape Escape again, just musing about how these mid/low tier revivals are decided.
MediEvil 2 won a BAFTA for best game of the year lol.
It was a big franchise over here for sure.

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
Be that I have never played Medievil 2 l,.I'm pretty excited if true. I enjoyed the original quite a bit

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who thinks SIE needs to do more AA, I'm all for this. But I hope they do more AA with their other IP / small Japanese developers like Media Vision, ACQUIRE, etc. again.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
I know people complain about how it plays, but I don't know how you want it to play either.
Medievil just plays how it plays. I can't think of a game I would call a "modern Medievil" (besides a slight influence ala Pumpkin jack, but that game also feels influenced by Maximo.)
I guess if someone has an example to share that would help.

I mean, I also have nostalgia for it, but it feels right to me, you're like a gangly skeleton who was never actually a soldier, flailing about trying your best to survive.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Medievil 2 deserves it. Such an improvement over the original, and deserves to be remade alongside its predecessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.