• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note, one of the reasons why I can't stand Sigma is that it forces me to play with Rachel.

May 15, 2019
Insead of acting elitist isn't it great that Ninja Gaiden is returning? Most people won't care it's black or not. The Sigma games are great as well
Really tired of this "just be greatful" attitude with ports that's been popping up lately. Unless they're going to pay me to buy this collection I'm absolutely going to call them out when they try to sell a low quality product.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The new content is new content for Xbox and it's always nice to have a new achievement list.
Overall, i'd still imagine it's just PC/Xbox is Digital Only in Asia (Has happened more than once).

If it's not that, Phil went and burned whatever the last bridge KT had with Xbox lol.
I gotta be honest I really did not like the added content that was added to the Sigma games. Thought they just slowed the game down. I guess I see the appeal for some people who haven't tried Sigma versions yet. I just wouldnt recommend this to be someone's first experience on Xbox with these games.

God I hope Phil didnt burn that bridge. We need a NG4 already.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Sigma, huh? I expected that but I guess I was hoping they would listen to all of the constant feedback. I am so desperate for Ninja Gaiden on Steam (no, Yaiba does not count) that I almost bought the Samurai Jack game once I saw footage of it. I would probably get this immediately even if they are such massive downgrades.

I wonder if Microsoft owns chunks of base Ninja Gaiden II or something, similar to a Bayonetta 2 kind of deal.

Insead of acting elitist isn't it great that Ninja Gaiden is returning? Most people won't care it's black or not. The Sigma games are great as well
I always expected the series to return. I was never worried about that. I was worried that we would get drastically, drastically worse versions of two of my favorite games of all time. Sure they are still good, but they are nowhere near ideal and it's clear how the majority feels here.

This ironically sells me on an Xbox for BC harder than anything Microsoft has done themselves.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I fail to see what gore ha to do with the quality of a video game.

NG Black and NG Sigma is mostly gore level and some difficulty changes.

NG2 and NG 2 Sigma though.....it's almost like a different game. Not just gore changes, the entire level structure and progression is changed as well as less enemies per scenes. it ran at a higher resolution and has more characters and gameplay content than regular NG2 though.

www.eurogamer.net

Face-Off: Ninja Gaiden 2 vs. Sigma 2

How do you turn a game design and engine specifically designed for the architectural strengths of one console, and make…

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Would be interesting to see if this is as bad as the Trilogy they did on SNES

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maybe there's really something preventing them from porting the xbox versions of 1 and 2 to other platforms.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Its elitist to want to play the superior versions of the games? This isn't free, they are asking money for this. Disappointment is elitism.

The Sigma versions are good games not great.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
This is one of those games that I want to play mostly due to word-of-mouth. Looking at videos my impression is that the camera is absolute dogshit but I've seen a lot of people saying it has the best combat ever so I guess I'll see it for myself.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
maybe there's really something preventing them from porting the xbox versions of 1 and 2 to other platforms.
Must be, it's like for the last 15 years no one has touched the original versions of NG 1 and 2 with a ten foot pole (excluding the XB1 BC). What gives?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If this is true I will have a fucking heart attack.

The modern Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on Switch and PC is my dream. Only one of those left if true.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I always wanted to play this but never got a console, so hopefully it'll come to pc as well. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I already have the trilogy on my X. It's a shame if it's Sigma, but I might buy it on sale someday. Unless there's a really cool steelbook, then I won't know what to do with myself. Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my favorite games of all time, so it sucks that it isn't that version.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
So Sigma 2 is the one with most of the changes right? As far as I understand Sigma 1 doesn't have that many changes? Sigma 1 still has gore whereas 2 it got removed altogether

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Really tired of this "just be greatful" attitude with ports that's been popping up lately. Unless they're going to pay me to buy this collection I'm absolutely going to call them out when they try to sell a low quality product.

We don't even know what kind of collection this is going to be (if it's really happening).

Whenever someone brings up Ninja Gaiden Black there are always people asking what is different since most people only played the Sigma versions.

The 2 Sigma games are stil critical acclaimed games people loved. The improved version of 3 is also a decent game that fixed a lot of problems.

If they bring that back as a collection it not only would reach a new generation of gamers but also increases the chances of Ninja Gaiden 4. I think that's reason for a celebration

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The (conspiracy) theory is that Sigma versions are the ones that current head of Team Ninja, Yosuke Hayashi, directed so because of that that's the versions they like to push.

More likely, Black and vanilla 2 are still MS exclusives and can't be ported anywhere outside Xbox. Sigma can.
Also, Sigma 3 doesn't even exist, they must be talking about Razor's Edge.
Also, not interested in rebuying these games if it's the Sigma version. I already have Sigma 1 on PS3 and Sigma 2 is a sad joke.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This is one of those games that I want to play mostly due to word-of-mouth. Looking at videos my impression is that the camera is absolute dogshit but I've seen a lot of people saying it has the best combat ever so I guess I'll see it for myself.

Camera is dogshit, but the combat is well done in NGBlack and NG2.

NG3 is just trash.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Camera is dogshit, but the combat is well done in NGBlack and NG2.

NG3 is just trash.

If it's the RE edition, then I'm not that upset about it. RE was pretty good not gonna lie. Obviously pales in comparison to 1 and 2 but it fixed a lot of stuff and was a fun game, so wouldn't at all call it trash

Oct 27, 2017
I could swear the Vita version of Sigma still has the gore. If I am remembering correctly and this is based on that then it should be back.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
The (conspiracy) theory is that Sigma versions are the ones that current head of Team Ninja, Yosuke Hayashi, directed so because of that that's the versions they like to push.
I could see this being true. Didnt Team Ninja and Itagaki have a messy break up? I remember Itagaki also saying Sigma wasn't good.

Hayashi also directed Ninja Gaiden 3 which is a terrible game, that was turned into an okay game with Razor's Edge.

Vazduh

Oct 25, 2017
But what makes them worse?

The first Sigma had some sections removed (that platform puzzle comes to mind, but there were some other sections), more save points if I remember correctly, easier boss enemies. "Better visuals", but with a lot of 2007-era bloom so hasn't aged that well. Also, I don't remember those ogre enemies in the pyramid level, I think they were exclusive to the PS3 version. Those were also OP'd compared to the other enemies.

The exclusive Rachel levels were horrible, and unbalanced etc.

Overall quite a few changes, but not all of them were for the better!

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Based. Day 1. I never did play 3...I know it's supposed to suck but I'm curious.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Sigma 2 is the one with most of the changes right? As far as I understand Sigma 1 doesn't have that many changes? Sigma 1 still has gore whereas 2 it got removed altogether
Sigma 1 actually has tons of changes. It added a early overpowered weapon that kinda breaks the game, changed some of the bosses and enemies patterns, changed the visuals some times for the better others for the worse, added a completely needless side character section that just serves to worsen the experience, added tons of load times that weren't in the original version (maybe this release will fix that), and other stuff I'm forgetting right now.

More likely, Black and vanilla 2 are still MS exclusives and can't be ported anywhere outside Xbox.
I wonder if there was some actual exclusivity contract in place, I could totally see that happening through Itagaki but to my knowledge there's never been actual definite proof of that?

I could see this being true. Didnt Team Ninja and Itagaki have a messy break up? I remember Itagaki also saying Sigma wasn't good.

Hayashi also directed Ninja Gaiden 3 which is a terrible game, that was turned into an okay game with Razor's Edge.
I don't even think Hayashi is a bad director or anything like that, I'm might not been a fan of his work on Ninja Gaiden but he did co-directed Nioh which is a great game.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
ITAGAKI Stole the code and destroyed the Hard Disk with a Katana while wearing Sun Glasses.
Sounds accurate.

6LjsVEd.gif

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
But what makes them worse?
Smaller hub area, Rachel sections that break the pacing, puzzle room areas that changed up the flow were replaced with bad combat rooms where you fight just too many of the same single enemy type over and over again, more loading spots (some in the middle of combat), stuff like that.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
I don't even think Hayashi is a bad director or anything like that, I'm might not been a fan of his work on Ninja Gaiden but he did co-directed Nioh which is a great game.
He migh not be a bad director, but I dont think he understands Ninja Gaiden. The changes he made in the Sigma games just hindered them imo. I'm still baffled by launch NG3.

Hopefully someone else takes over for NG4.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Let's liven up the thread a bit. I feel like some of you don't understand just HOW FUCKING GOOD this series is, even the Sigmas and my personal favorite Razor's Edge. I will actually cry grown-ass man tears if these games get modern re-releases.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Sigma is totally fine, people are overreacting.
It's probably some contract thing, originals are for Xbox, Sigmas are for other platforms.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
One interesting thing about these being the Sigma versions is they might port over the Vita content. Almost none of those are interesting additions, but I will probably play through the first game especially a dozen times in this new collection so I am down for more costumes to mix it up. It is still unfortunate though. Sigma 1 is just as major of a downgrade as Sonic Adventure DX was, but Sigma 2 is just on a whole new level of weird terribleness.

Less people played Sigma 1 compared to the Xbox releases, so I guess for many it will be kind of a new experience. If there is an Xbox version I would love to see a Digital Foundry look on every version on the same hardware.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
From the rumors I read, seems like the Nioh producer/director will work on NG4.
Well Hayashi only directed the first Nioh along with Yasuda who then went on to direct and produce Nioh 2.

This gives me hope that Hayashi will be taking a backseat for NG4. I just hope they dont try and bring elements from Nioh to Ninja Gaiden. My Soul will leave my body if NG4 has loot.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He migh not be a bad director, but I dont think he understands Ninja Gaiden. The changes he made in the Sigma games just hindered them imo. I'm still baffled by launch NG3.

Hopefully someone else takes over for NG4.
Don't disagree with you there, and yeah I also hope a potential NG4 is helmed by someone else. Also, as much as I love how relentless NG2 can be, I kinda wish they would return to interesting mix of almost Zelda-like puzzle solving and character action that was the OG/Black, personally I found that made it stand out in a cool way.

Deleted member 68874

Banned
May 10, 2020
Don't disagree with you there, and yeah I also hope a potential NG4 is helmed by someone else. Also, as much as I love how relentless NG2 can be, I kinda wish they would return to interesting mix of almost Zelda-like puzzle solving and character action that was the OG/Black, personally I found that made it stand out in a cool way.
NG Black is the overall better game and one of the best games ever, but NG2 has the best combat in gaming.

I'd love to see a game with NG2 combat with NG Black level design. Would probably be my favourite game ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.