Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's so weird the OP still has the second image even though that has nothing to do with the Mini Switch, unless something changed since yesterday and I missed it.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
If you can still dock this, it's pretty good. You can always pair separate joycons if you're into that. I expect they stop bundling the dock though.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
If you can still dock this, it's pretty good. You can always pair separate joycons if you're into that. I expect they stop bundling the dock though.

Yeah, I would just use a Pro controller. But note sure if I should get this or the "pro". I might as well wait longer, Metroid is like three years away.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That name sounds so fake, mini switch 2 like come on

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The stronger switch better remove the bezels that will disappointing if it's exactly the same screen

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
No? This case implies they will be using a real d-pad, since it has a circular hole where it would go.

It would make sense if the Switch pro is called the Switch 2, and launches at the same time as has been rumored.

Still not a great name but at least it would make sense.

Calling it "Switch 2" connotes a bit more than a mid gen refresh to the general public, though. I think it's a bit confusing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it "Switch 2" connotes a bit more than a mid gen refresh to the general public, though. I think it's a bit confusing.

Yeah like I said it's not a great name for a product ~2.5 years in. I hope it's not real, unless Nintendo does a really good job with messaging (likening it to smartphone refreshes instead of new console gens).

If it is real there will be some seriously inflated expectations about what it can do.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Switch 2 already? Well, I guess if the upgrade is like jumping from a perfectly fine smart phone to the next and newest iteration of that smart phone brand, then I guess it works. This feels like a big change from what console buyers are used to.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch 2 already? Well, I guess if the upgrade is like jumping from a perfectly fine smart phone to the next and newest iteration of that smart phone brand, then I guess it works. This feels like a big change from what console buyers are used to.
Well 2.5 years isn't as bad as 1 year like phones do

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like I said it's not a great name for a product ~2.5 years in. I hope it's not real, unless Nintendo does a really good job with messaging (likening it to smartphone refreshes instead of new console gens).

If it is real there will be some seriously inflated expectations about what it can do.

Precisely.

You'd need to market that just right. Like, convey it's an iPhone 4-to-5 kind of thing and not a Playstation 3-to-4 kind of thing.

Yup, and I'm not sure I have any confidence in them doing that.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If they are going iterative. 2 isn't a huge problem . People are used to it with iPhones.

Heck iPads don't even have numbers even and are just known by year of release.

Don't overthink this folks.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It being a numbered iteration would give me hope that the hardware bump is a bit bigger than we've been speculating, but I guess we'll see.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I wouldn't mind it being called switch 2 it would really confuse the average person that expects Nintendo consoles to last 5-6 years though
If they can communicate that it's on a Smartphone-esque update line rather than a traditional console one (which could be done relatively simply by showing the exact same OS with full game and accessory compatibility) then I think they'd get away with it without confusing too many.
Basically everybody is familiar with smart device refresh cycles at this stage after all.
I may be being wildly optimistic here granted.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has never done a numbered successor so consumers might not already have strong expectations if it's really going to be called the Switch 2 Mini. If the branding is right, it can work

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If real Nintendo calling the revision with the new SoC as Switch 2 makes sense. So there will be a Switch 2 mini and Pro. The Switch remains the Switch

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Consumers are probably more used to smartphone naming conventions than PlayStation 3 -> 4 by now. Neither Nintendo nor Microsoft used incremental numbers for new generations. It's just Sony.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
how can anyone be fooled by these renders?

2019-02-09.png

Made you look

by the way I half expect these new revisions to not even be called "Switch"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If real Nintendo calling the revision with the new SoC as Switch 2 makes sense. So there will be a Switch 2 mini and Pro. The Switch remains the Switch

Yeah honestly based on all the reports and rumors so far this situation seems to make the most sense to me.

• We hear a cheaper Switch revision and an enhanced Switch revision are being prepared
  • We hear the cheaper Switch looks different but the enhanced Switch looks basically the same as the original
  • We hear the cheaper Switch, the enhanced Switch, and the OG Switch are all currently in production and have moved some of their production to SEA
  • We hear the cheaper Switch and the enhanced Switch will launch together in September
This makes a ton of sense if the enhanced Switch is the "Switch 2" and the cheaper Switch is the "Mini Switch 2", both revealed together. The Switch 2 will eventually replace the OG Switch but not right away, which is why they are still being produced. I'm guessing it will have a price drop to around $250 when the Switch 2 and Mini Switch 2 are announced in August, with the Switch 2 retailing for $300 and the Mini Switch 2 for $200.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

If they actually call it a Switch 2, then I hope the spec bump of the Pro is more than the very modest gains I've been expecting. That or they add a lot of hardware refinements/improvements.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Releasing something with a 2 suffix doesn't seem like a smart idea mid-gen, I mean why not follow the DS pattern like Lite, DSi etc.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Wouldn't people agree that Switch 2 could be another WiiU problem. People are idiots and I imagine name confusion will haunt them once again unless the marketing is crystal clear or it launches alongside a killer IP.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't people agree that Switch 2 could be another WiiU problem. People are idiots and I imagine name confusion will haunt them once again unless the marketing is crystal clear or it launches alongside a killer IP.
It would be the opposite situation though, where people thought "I don't need a new Wii, I already have one", where that was a completely different hardware configuration. This should be far less confusing even if it's called "Switch 2". People are very used to numbered releases with phones already as it is.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If the joycons aren't detachable and there's still no D-Pad smh

This case in the OP clearly suggests a real d-pad. The render in the bottom left of the box is a placeholder showing a product that currently already exists for the OG Switch.

The actual case in the box shows a circular hole where the d-pad would go, which would not make sense if it had the buttons that the current Switch has.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Coming from the company who made this move:

DS -> 3DS -> 2DS

On topic: whatever they do, if the controls are permanently attached to the unit, that's a huge improvement and I might buy.

Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
If it is a mini-switch 2 and switch 2, then shouldn't the specs be the same (if we are going the phone route)?

Also, why not call it mini-switch and switch+ (I think someone else mentioned this too)? Or Switch (2019 Rev.) and mini switch (2019 Rev.)?

Edit: As for the D-Pad, it would seem the mini will have a traditional D-Pad, but I wonder about the upgraded version. Will, that use a D-Pad also, or keep the button pad layout (keep both sides relatively the same for two people to play, like on the regular switch)?

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
It would be the opposite situation though, where people thought "I don't need a new Wii, I already have one", where that was a completely different hardware configuration. This should be far less confusing even if it's called "Switch 2". People are very used to numbered releases with phones already as it is.
I see your point.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as the Switch 2 naming convention, maybe the pro model provides a bigger boost than anticipated? I'm not sure how else to read into that name

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guys ---
leak.png

If this thing's "d-pad" were the same as the current joycons, it would use the same cutout on both sides since the directional buttons are the same size as the face buttons, the image they have on the bottom left doesn't even match the case. I'm thinking we're getting something along the lines of this render:
the-renders-make-the-switch-lite-seem-slimmer-and-more-compact-than-the-original-could-this-be-the.png

I'd also be disappointed if they didn't take this opportunity to put a d-pad, but with non detachable controls I'm hopeful.