• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User UrbaNebula on the Obsidian forums found a recent trademark filing for 'The Outer Worlds' registered as all your standard video game, board game, TCG, computer software etc. The trademark can be seen here. There is a novel called 'The Outer Worlds: Book One of the Epherian Chronicles' on Amazon that shares the same name, but who knows if it's actually related.

Amazon said:
"An alien invasion sweeps across the galaxy. The hope of humanity rests with an exile from an ancient empire and his loyal crew. They must work together to save the human race from imminent extinction. High adventure on a galactic scale."

cover.jpg

Is this what Obsidian have been working on or is this a side project?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It sounds like a pretty generic name for a sci-fi book, and I'm sure Amazon is full of books that play fast & loose with trademark law. Almost certainly a coincidence.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Is "Epherian Chronicles" or something similar somehow listed in the trademark because I don't think it's a wild assumption that two different entities independently came up with the title "The Outer Worlds."

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a novel called 'The Outer Worlds: Book One of the Epherian Chronicles' on Amazon that shares the same name, but who knows if it's actually related.
There's only 5 reviews on the book, so I doubt it has anything to do with what Obsidian is working on. If they broke out their wallets for a license it isn't going to be for some book a dude wrote in his basement lol

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
"High adventure on a galactic scale."

Okay, you have my attention with that. Are we talking straight up space swashbuckling here?

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
There's only 5 reviews on the book, so I doubt it has anything to do with what Obsidian is working on. If they broke out their wallets for a license it isn't going to be for some book a dude wrote in his basement lol
Yeah, lol.

Doesn't sound like Alpha Protocol 2 either though... :(

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty generic sounding description. I'll wait to see the game before I judge though.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think iot's pretty clear this isn't based on a book that has managed to accrue a massive 8 reviews on amazon and is just a shared title and so you may want to delete the synopsis.

Sounds like we only really know it'll likely be sci-fi.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect but by Obsidian?

Interested, as long it isn't a CRPG.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I would be very ok with this. We need more good space rpgs. Aside from ME what do we have?

Would be great if we could actually play as aliens and stuff too, not just generic humans surrounded by aliens.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
This is the Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky project.

Those expecting some kind of AAA Mass Effect style shooter should probably move along. Boyarsky left a lucrative job at Blizzard to make this game, so you know it's going to be right up his alley. He did a big interview on Matt Chat recently and all he'd say was that it was a new IP and that it's a "hardcore RPG".

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just hope it plays well. I honestly don't think I've enjoyed playing any Obsidian games, regardless of how good some of their writing was.

Dungeon Siege 3 (?) probably played the best, but it was one of the blades games I've played.
Fallout NV was fine, I just played so much of Fallout 3 that I was sick if that gameplay by then (same thing happened with KOTOR 2 honestly).
Alpha Protocol... Ugh. Passable at best if you break the leveling (pump all points into stealth and pistol and the game plays itself).

Haven't played any of their newer RPG stuff but I have wanted to try those someday, but I do either prefer real-time action games or RPGs with controller support. If this new game has either of those things and is fun then I'll be on board!

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Aren't they already working on PoE2 ?
Tim Cain has a team on another big-ish game that's going to be published by Take2's new experimental label.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...es-new-publishing-label-private-division.aspx
The role-playing veterans at Obsidian are using their Private Division partnership to reunite original Fallout creators Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky for a new game set in a new universe.

"It was the opportunity to work with Tim on a new IP that we were creating from scratch again, because we did it on Fallout and Arcanum and those were great experiences and I just missed doing that, says Boyarsky, who most recently worked on Diablo III for Blizzard. "I missed working on single-player, in-depth RPGs with a lot of choice, consequence, and reactivity. I like making other types of games, but there is something special about the kind of games we started with Fallout that really appeals to us and speaks to us creatively."

The duo plans to reveal more about the project at a later date, but Cain says "If people have liked our previous RPGs they're going to like this one in terms of how we make reactive worlds and especially our style of humor."

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the information in the OP, perhaps the word 'unveiled' wasn't the most appropriate choice?

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I wouldn't mind an Obsidian take on Mass Effect. As long as it tries to recapture the essence (visual design, music, etc) of the first game.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Do we expect this to be a third-person adventure or isometric style?

I would guess traditional CRPG style isometric game, yes.

That seems to be Obsidian's bread and butter at the moment.

IIRC this is the Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky project and it's also running on the Unreal Engine, not the engine they use for POE.

Chances are that it will probably by third/first person rather then isometric.

Aren't they already working on PoE2 ?

Yes, POE 2 is almost done but this game is being worked on by another team led by Tim Cain/Leonard Boyarsky (who did Vampire: TMB).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hits all the space story checkboxes: galactic threat, ancient aliens, a chosen one, assembling a ragtag crew of unlikely heroes. Sounds like a game to me!

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Didn't they say that it's gonna be their biggest project ever?

I wish it's at least a hybrid/optional isometric RPG like Dragon Age Origins.

They only said that it's bigger than PoE2, not their biggest ever

We do know that it is based on unreal engine 4 tho

We can also assume based on a past job description that it is a multiplatform game