Nov 27, 2020
"So we left the jets sitting there on a base. Unfortunately all the starter keys were in cockpits. Somebody sneaked in and stole our jets. We have no idea who did this, no idea whatsoever".
It sounds like the two sticking points were what would replace them, and exposing the Polish airbase they launched from to a possible Russian attack. Transferring them to a US airbase in Germany seems to be a way around that.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Funny that even USSR didn't do that. Putin is crazy and unstable.

USSR were selling gas to Europe even during Cold War era.

The USSR decided to cause mass famine by exporting grain because they decided they needed foreign currency.

As far as I am aware, Russia cannot sell a lot of the gas that goes to Europe elsewhere because the infrastructure just isn't there. As much as Europe is geared towards Russia for energy needs the reverse is true for Russia.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Curious what the US plan to get them from Germany to Ukraine is if it's not to go through Poland? Are we just going to fly them out of Germany and assume Russia is less likely to hit a German airfield than a Polish one? Are they going to fly routes avoiding Polish airspace?
Russia isn't gonna bomb Rammstein

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
If true, this means the war is going to get a lot worse in Ukraine.
Honestly don't know what this means for Ukraine. We've never had a country at war have their economy this disrupted before. Unprecedented territory. Does Russia rush faster now to try and get leverage before it implodes? If Ukraine holds out for another month, can Russia even function without mass unrest?

syllogism

Oct 25, 2017
The decree wording sounds a lot like the 2014 one in response to previous sanctions. I imagine it will go further, but there is no reason to assume it will be completely scorched earth.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Restart whatever reactors are still in one piece. Restart the coal plants (unfortunate, but necessary).

Remove all superfluous shit from the price of electricity ("green" certificates, excise, tariffs etc.), reduce the VAT to minimum (I think 5% is the EU-approved minimum), direct people to use electric heating of any kind.

The nuclear plants are a tiny amount in all of this and the coal ones haven't just been sitting idle. A lot, maybe even most, have been stripped bare. Getting them running again would be very expensive and take a long time. Europe is looking at a very bad recession and people freezing to death in the winter in the meantime.

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The USSR decided to cause mass famine by exporting grain because they decided they needed foreign currency.

As far as I am aware, Russia cannot sell a lot of the gas that goes to Europe elsewhere because the infrastructure just isn't there. As much as Europe is geared towards Russia for energy needs the reverse is true for Russia.

Yes, Russias gas infrastructure is worthless with such a ban.
It is already complicated for them because all the tech for the infrastructure is banned for Russia.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Link is down. Any other source? That would be insane

Reuters is reporting the same

finance.yahoo.com

Russia restricts import and export of listed goods and raw materials - Interfax

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on Tuesday restricting the import and export of specified goods and raw materials "to ensure the security of the Russian Federation", Interfax news agency said. It did not specify which goods and materials would be restricted. (Writing by Kevin...

el_barto

Feb 14, 2022
Curious what the US plan to get them from Germany to Ukraine is if it's not to go through Poland? Are we just going to fly them out of Germany and assume Russia is less likely to hit a German airfield than a Polish one? Are they going to fly routes avoiding Polish airspace?
Ramstein is a US airbase located in Germany. But it is legally US soil.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
That was a quick reaction.

shiiiet.

Russian anti-air still gonna be a problem, but this is definitely a confidence booster.
Good news is Ukraine will know where all it is located due to NATO. Question is can special forces plus drone strikes begin chipping away at it. Due to not having secure rear lines, Russia can't leave these defenses too far from the front lines, even though their range would allow it.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

They are probably being sent to the US base in Germany because they will need to have their NATO communication equipment taken out and repainted before they could be handed over to Ukraine. Also by doing this Poland is not directly transferring their jets to Ukraine, instead it will be the US who would take ownership and then decide whether to give them to Ukraine.

They wouldn't be flying missions out of Germany or any NATO country.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting way of skirting sanctions:

Russia Will Probably Legalize Some Software Piracy to Mitigate Sanctions * TorrentFreak

In an effort to counter sanctions aimed at ending the war in Ukraine, Russia is mulling plans to effectively legalize software piracy.

not particularly novel since antigua came up with that idea to fight US gambling laws like 15 years ago. They even got WTO permission, though I don't remember if they followed through with it

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cant say I didnt see this coming, good thing ms, amazon, and google have cyber security teams that rival nation states.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Good news is Ukraine will know where all it is located due to NATO. Question is can special forces plus drone strikes begin chipping away at it. Due to not having secure rear lines, Russia can't leave these defenses too far from the front lines, even though their range would allow it.
There's one in Trostyanets. they are keeping civilians around it as a human shield.

Head of "Azov" just tweeted out a photo of another C-300PT smoldering.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm guessing (well, hoping) that as part of the transfer of the jets the US will also help Ukraine defend whatever airbase they'll be stored at by providing anti-air defense systems. Transfering dozens of jets isn't really worth much of Russia can just track them and immediately fire ballistic missiles at the base they're stored at.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Russia rush faster now to try and get leverage before it implodes?

While you are making good points, what this would ultimately mean is that there are no more mayor sanctions to be done. Nothing to punish Putin. It means he bought his freedom to do every non-nuclear atrocity he views as necessary in Ukraine. He is taking the initiative, making EU a passive bystander without further power.

Luckily, I am not able to find any proof for that story, currently.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Small world seeing Rammstein being used this way. Lived there for six years as a kid.

To the poster above, Rammstein has a very large portion of its operations "outside" the base itself. Where yes, lots of German nationals do work, and my father worked with many of them during his time there. But they were not permitted on the base itself.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing (well, hoping) that as part of the transfer of the jets the US will also help Ukraine defend whatever airbase they'll be stored at by providing anti-air defense systems. Transfering dozens of jets isn't really worth much of Russia can just track them and immediately fire ballistic missiles at the base they're stored at.
What has stopped Russia from destroying all of UA's current planes so far? I remember there was a message yesterday that the majority of their air force aircraft were still fine. I'm not sure why the new planes are a bigger target than what they already own. I assume they're not gonna transfer them all over at once in formation or so and land at a single UA airport.

MrJames

Oct 25, 2017

Polish Migs were significantly upgraded to NATO standards. This will allow them to interact with the AWACS aircraft that flies along the border. The Migs can fly with their radar off and use the AWACS radar signature to potentially target Russian aircraft. Hello no fly zone if they allow them to use their system.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would assume this includes:

Gas/Oil
Aluminum
Wheat
other precious metals

That's the big ones for Russia I think.

Time for me to buy an electric vehicle and get back on my keto bullshit.

Feeling for the sane Russian people who wanted nothing to do with this war, life there is going to be even harder than usual for conceivably a pretty long time.