• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it would be almost impossible to justify Kiryu and Majima meeting and then completely forgetting each other before Yakuza 1 happens.

It'd be better to just tell an entirely new story with new characters vs. trying to contrive excuses for THESE TWO characters to have another huge adventure and come into contact and then forget each other before the events of the first game. Kiryu's card has been punched clean, you could theoretically tell a solo Majima story, but it would be tough.
If they do go that route then they shouldn't meet up and instead have their own stories that don't really tie into the other's as 0 did. With Kiryu they can do some Yumi friendship stuff since she wasn't in 0. Say she gets caught up with someone bad, who knows. With Majima, they can do a good amount with him. His change in 0 was dope at the end but he had a lot to do in between that and 1.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't know what's up with RGG Studio and Akiyama. It feels like they don't like him very much? Yet bizarrely, he's the only core-Yakuza-cast member to have a meaningful appearance in Kiryu's last game - even MAJIMA didn't show up outside of dream sequences.

Like I know there was some drama surrounding Hana's actress, though I can't remember what it was. But why would that extend to Akiyama being slowly given less and less screen time?

The studio used her for Dead Souls and Ishin after the 'scandal' (she was supposedly fired from her label for sleeping with bandmates) and she's done a bunch of VA work since so I hope they don't still have beef. Even so it's not like they haven't just swapped out troubled actors in the past of the series.

Seems like the voice actor for Akiyama is maybe just super busy? It's a shame for whatever reason, one of my favorite characters and the one I want a spin off on the most.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Not including the Super Monkey Ball series (or their work on the localized versions of the following game), the longest the Ryu Ga Gotoku team has gone between releases is 15 months.
Yakuza 1 - Dec. 2005
Yakuza 2 - Dec. 2006
Yakuza Kenzan! - Mar. 2008
Yakuza 3 - Feb. 2009
Yakuza 4 - Mar. 2010
Yakuza: Dead Souls - June. 2011
Binary Domain - Feb 2012
Yakuza 5 - Dec. 2012
Yakuza 1&2 HD Aug. 2013
Yakuza Ishin! - Feb. 2014
Yakuza 0 - Mar. 2015
Yakuza Kiwami - Jan. 2016
Yakuza 6 - Dec. 2016
Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Dec. 2017
Fist of the Northstar: Lost Paradise - Mar. 2018
Yakuza 3 Remaster - Aug. 2018
Judgment - Dec. 2018
Yakuza 4 Remaster - Jan 2019
Yakuza 5 Remaster - June 2019
Yakuza 7 - Jan. 2020

Hopefully the next entry is revealed on the 8th and comes out 1st half 2021 in Japan, but Covid might have slowed them down which will be entirely understandable.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
but Covid might have slowed them down which will be entirely understandable.
There's no might about it. They straight up said they stopped working for a period of time while they adjusted to the whole work from home situation - it was an interview mainly talking about RGG Online but there's no way it didn't impact other game dev as well.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im interested to check out the stream to see what does (or more likely - doesn't) get shown. Probably worth stating again for the new page that the chances of any non Japanese centric news (that's localisations and PC ports) is slim to none. Should something get shown, it'll more than likely be a brand new game or at least a newly revealed remake (and I really hope its not a remake)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: they remake 0 or Kiwami to be a RPG similar to Like a Dragon. Or i dunno Judge Like a Dragon's Eyes

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0-2
Yakuza 3/4/5/6 and Judgment PC announcement
Ishin Remaster global release

DO IT Nagoshi

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Their next game will be a sequel to Segagaga. The last boss will be getting a project approved by Nagoshi.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Surely they'll finally announce the PC collection on a japanese only anniversary stream.

nAIwTW4.gif

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Judgment 2 for mid-2021, with Yakuza 8 (RPG-style) to follow in 2022. Plz.

But seriously, RGG Studios output efficiency is insane. Their re-use of modular assets is outstanding.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
A fixed version of Judgment that removes the Keihin Gang and the terrible HP Loss mechanic

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 7 is fucking amazing but I'd like Judgment 2 sooner than Y8. As much as I love the JRPG gameplay there's still a place for the classic brawler mechanics.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I could see some switch ports happen, I'd totally buy 7 on switch and Jrpg's do sell tons there

I could see a port or two but I don't see the entire franchise pivoting to Switch when they've put as much effort into spreading it to PC and Xbox in the past year as they have.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Im interested to check out the stream to see what does (or more likely - doesn't) get shown. Probably worth stating again for the new page that the chances of any non Japanese centric news (that's localisations and PC ports) is slim to none. Should something get shown, it'll more than likely be a brand new game or at least a newly revealed remake (and I really hope its not a remake)
Indeed, but if it's anything like recent years they will nod to the West and announce that a localisation will happen when announcing a new project.

Excited for this.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice to see the series gaps plugged for the Xbox and PC users, which honestly doesn't seem that unreasonable. As a series fan on the Sony side, it's great seeing new fans come to the franchise, and I want them to have that full-experience too.

I suspect some of that is down to a case of pacing those releases for a new audience, because the schedule since Zero made the breakthrough has been pretty wild.

Also, more 'Ryu Ga Gotaku Studio' stickers in the game boxes please; it's a nice touch!

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I want the whole series on PC now, it's frustrating to have Y7 before all the others.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if it's a new game, the most likely thing would be Judgement 2 right? It's too early for Yakuza 8 I presume.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 3-6 & Judgment on PC, come on! And maybe give them more... time/resources to optimize? That'd be nice.

Also, a patch for Kiwami 2 to make Kiryu's eyes less bug-like by actually making his irises visible. Please and thanks! It's been bothering me a lot :(

May 10, 2019
Willing an full-throated New Japan Pro Wrestling game in an RGG engine into existence, come on Nagoshi, make it happen, you know you wanna

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Not including the Super Monkey Ball series (or their work on the localized versions of the following game), the longest the Ryu Ga Gotoku team has gone between releases is 15 months.

Binary Domain - Feb 2012

Hopefully the next entry is revealed on the 8th and comes out 1st half 2021 in Japan, but Covid might have slowed them down which will be entirely understandable.
yo they made Binary Domain! Wow explains a lot.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what they will do with Yakuza 8. For 7 they've only really had Japanese feedback until a few weeks ago and it's the lowest selling entry there.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd be hyped for a new historical setting RGG game.
We got one at the launch of the PS3 and one near the launch of the PS4. No one would complain about that trend continuing.

Although, it does feel like we've had a scattershot of so many new protagonists after Yakuza 6, Yagami, Kenshiro and Ichiban. I wouldn't mind a game that just follows up and further develops on one of these new characters.

Last edited:

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Judgment 2, but I'd like a surprise (Kenzan remaster or new Samurai spin off).

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
still expecting absolutely nothing out of this

IIRC Judgment isn't considered a Yakuza title by the devs? I don't think I'd expect Judgment 2 news but I would love to be wrong

We got one at the launch of the PS3 and one near the launch of the PS4. No one would complain about that trend continuing.
I mean those are the only ones that don't make it West, so I don't know if I would be psyched about it lol

of course times are different and it probably would see release here

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Remaster of Ishin would be tight but I'm going to hold out on the fringe hope that Lost Paradise 2 could happen. There's still so much material they could work with that they barely glanced with the first one

Garmonbozia

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any chance of Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise ever getting a PC port, or are there any rights quagmire that makes it stay only on PS4?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Judgment 2 for the PS5 come on! I'm not ashamed to say that I like Yagami more than Kiryu...

Oct 27, 2017
Remaster of Ishin would be tight but I'm going to hold out on the fringe hope that Lost Paradise 2 could happen. There's still so much material they could work with that they barely glanced with the first one
Yeah I agree.

It would be even cooler if you can visit Kamurocho and see how it would look in FOTNS universe. Heck, add Majima and Saejima as characters and make them use crazy supernatrual moves. That would be an amazing cross over.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I would love "Yakuza: Before Zero"

1950s inspired by the Yakuza Papers - Battles Without Honor and Humanity.

1110.png

Have Shintaro Kazama as the main character. It would be incredible.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
i actually would like that Lost Paradise was great and still has so much potential left but i really hope they do listen to feedback as its the favorite spin off but the driving part was not really fun tbh

Garmonbozia

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if they'd bother, it's probably low priority since 3-6 and Judgment aren't even on Steam still.
I just want to atatata punks while listening to the original FOTNS OST that I modded it in :(
I would love "Yakuza: Before Zero"

1950s inspired by the Yakuza Papers - Battles Without Honor and Humanity.

1110.png

Have Shintaro Kazama as the main character. It would be incredible.
That could be pretty interesting but the grittiness and cynicism of "Battles" is pretty at odds with the sometimes melodrama, sometimes goofiness of the Yakuza series.