• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

It seems to be fairly new news, but RyujiNX (from gdkchan written in C#) is now booting it's first commercial games up to the menus. This is fairly big news, there has been pretty big progress recently on the emulator. It won't happen any time soon, but at some point we might be able to see what Mario Odyssey might look like at 4K with increased internal resolution since it ends up happening on every emulator, including most recently Citra.

Cave Story

Puyo Puyo Tetris

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive! Will still probably take awhile for full emulation, but so far so good!

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Had no idea it was moving that fast.
Typically you would need a personal dump of your bios or something like that to be able to run most emulators for more recent systems. I don't know what the deal with this one is or anything since I don't intend to check it out until it's more complete. But if you do need files like that then there's no way to legally emulate the system without owning the system, so it's not much of a gray area in that case.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
This is some good work!

I'm not really interested in getting into the fight but those who are saying that emulators are legal.. are kind of right and kind of wrong.
Writing an emulator of the hardware itself is fine - but copying the ROM/BIOS from the console isn't..

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to see more progress on this.

Maybe someday Xenoblade 2 will be able to run at a decent framerate/resolution.

Nov 4, 2017
This is some good work!

I'm not really interested in getting into the fight but those who are saying that emulators are legal.. are kind of right and kind of wrong.
Writing an emulator of the hardware itself is fine - but copying the ROM/BIOS from the console isn't..

If I want to play Breath of the Wild at 4K @ 60fps on PC then the law says I am well within my rights to do so if I buy BotW for WiiU or Switch and rip it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does this matter in terms of justification for allowing emulation discussion on ResetEra? It can be done in a way that's legal. People, in fact, do it that way. What's the problem?
I never said they can't be discussed. For some people it's a hobby, for some it's a way to experience their games with better resolution and performance. Just saying most people don't use it that way. Always has been like that. Therefore it's a grey area.