Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I keep my switch updated so I doubt I'll be at a firmware where I can dump my games, but it's still nice to see the development of something like this.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emulation can make big progress super fast depending on how supportive the community is behind it. Look at Cemu.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No, not if you own the game and dump it yourself.

Plus by the time a Switch emulator can run games consistently the Switch will probably be off the market.

So being able to play games without having to pay $300 for a system isn't a bit shady? Also we don't know how fast this will progress, we could easily see games running well in the next year or 2 if the resources are put into it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
People will just download the games and say they dumped them themselves, Nintendo is done.

I don't think so. It's a long time off until this emulator is good enough to run nearly as good as a Switch. Citra doesn't even really run well enough to replace a 3DS either. Switch has plenty of time before this emulator becomes anything worth a damn. Nintendoomed isn't a thing. Plus, even if the emulator DOES run commercial games well, the main selling point of the switch for most people is its portability is it not?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't require you to dump the BIOS, so no, it isn't a gray area at all.

No, not if you own the game and dump it yourself.

Plus by the time a Switch emulator can run games consistently the Switch will probably be off the market.

Nope. Can't legally dump the games without a Switch, there's a layer of cross-communication on the carts, making them impossible to dump decrypted.

If you dumped them encrypted, you'd need a key and keys are derived on a per console derivation.

If you have the key per console, you either own a Switch or you took copyrighted intellectual property that was illegally distributed on the internet. Similarly, you either own a Switch or you did not 'dump your games'.

There's no way to get a digital TitleID key for digital-only without owning a Switch, full stop.

Any one who says 'they dumped their Switch games' but doesn't own (or have immediate access to) a Switch is simply a liar at the current moment, the cartridge cross-communication link remains uncracked and, likely, never will be as it is over-engineered.

Well you could buy a Switch, dump the games you want and then return the Switch and be $300 up.

This is illegal as you'd have to run warranty breaking software first to do this.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So being able to play games without having to pay $300 for a system isn't a bit shady? Also we don't know how fast this will progress, we could easily see games running well in the next year or 2 if the resources are put into it.
Not really, it isn't shady at all unless you literally don't know what emulators are. Not a single line of Nintendo's code is being used.
Nope. Can't legally dump the games without a Switch, there's a layer of cross-communication on the carts, making them impossible to dump decrypted.

If you dumped them encrypted, you'd need a key and keys are derived on a per console derivation.

If you have the key per console, you either own a Switch or you took copyrighted intellectual property that was illegally distributed on the internet. Similarly, you either own a Switch or you did not 'dump your games'.

There's no way to get a digital TitleID key for digital-only without owning a Switch, full stop.

Any one who says 'they dumped their Switch games' but doesn't own (or have immediate access to) a Switch is simply a liar at the current moment, the cartridge cross-communication link remains uncracked and, likely, never will be as it is over-engineered.

This is illegal as you'd have to run warranty breaking software first to do this.
Still doesn't require ownership of the console. You might use someone else's Switch to dump the games, return the Switch, and you'll continue to be in the clear. Because, once again, the emulator requires no BIOS.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I never said they can't be discussed. For some people it's a hobby, for some it's a way to experience their games with better resolution and performance. Just saying most people don't use it that way. Always has been like that. Therefore it's a grey area.
The person you quoted was responding to someone questioning why Era allows these threads. You responded to their justification with what appeared to be some criticism. I responded to you because it's tiresome that every one of these threads has people complaining about or lamenting the whole thing.

Emulation is not a grey area because there are people that pirate.

Alaxend0l

Dec 6, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, I think development of switch emulators will be much faster than most people expect. The Tegra X1 powering the switch (Or, at least a slightly modified version of it,) is very well documented. I think the biggest hurdle the emulator will have is the new encryption system Nintendo's added in 5.0.0. Unless that encryption isn't in the games themselves.

Nov 4, 2017
People will just download the games and say they dumped them themselves, Nintendo is done.

1) We're only at the beginning stages. This emulator, much like Cemu and Citra, will take years to run games consistently and even at an acceptable level.
2) The Switch isn't a SNES. The only people going to be able to run it's emulators effectively will be those PC players with beefy systems and these are not the kinds of people to run out and buy consoles. This is a very small market which is totally outside the realms of your typical mass market casual consumer.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

How is it shady? You bought the games legally and dumped them yourself. That's 100% legal, at least in the US.

Plus if you bought the games new than Nintendo got paid regardless if you own a Switch or not.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

This.
Seems your question has been answered by the community. If there are future questions about the policy please contact the staff via PM. This isn't the thread where those concerns should be posted.
Everybody knows that emulators are legal, I think people here perfectly knows what the issue is, especially with a platform that just got released and is still very much alive.
I'm not sure if there ever was a thread where concerns were allowed to be posted to be honest.

edit: could those that dump their Switch games legally (seems that there's quite a bit in this thread) explain how they do it then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I keep my switch updated so I doubt I'll be at a firmware where I can dump my games, but it's still nice to see the development of something like this.
There's supposedly an exploit that can't really be patched out on all current hardware revision Switches so unless you buy a new model with the new chip you should be good come Summer when exploits & CFW are apparently set to be released.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Aw yiss, Nintendo's loss not making a Switch TV, hope this progresses as quickly as Cemu. Some of these games like Botw are just made to be seen in 4K.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
How is it shady? You bought the games legally and dumped them yourself. That's 100% legal, at least in the US.

Plus if you bought the games new than Nintendo got paid regardless if you own a Switch or not.

Nintendo didn't get paid the $300 you are supposed to pay them to be able to play their software. Anyway someone answered above saying it would technically be illegal because of the code you have to run to dump the games which would break the warranty if you tried to return it.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
If it's from Citra devs, then you will need Switch to decrypt ROMs just like with 3DS. Citra only allows decrypted ROMs but you need 3DS for that. There are always backdoor shady sites for games which sucks.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo didn't get paid the $300 you are supposed to pay them to be able to play their software. Anyway someone answered above saying it would technically be illegal because of the code you have to run to dump the games which would break the warranty if you tried to return it.

As far I know, this emulator uses it's own code.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Still doesn't require ownership of the console. You might use someone else's Switch to dump the games, return the Switch, and you'll continue to be in the clear. Because, once again, the emulator requires no BIOS.

Yes, I know. I raised this point but you could also just as easily argue "I dumped my friend's BIOS" for the old days.

It remains a gray-area, and suffice it to say I doubt most here actually know how to go through the process of dumping, key derivation, decrypting, and stripping a raw dump themselves for it to boot through DRM protections that may/will be baked in.

As far I know, this emulator uses it's own code.

Legal access to the dumps requires a Switch.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, what they said is that would be illegal to return something that had its warranty broken.

Nintendo not getting paid the "300$ you are supposed to pay them to" is completely and utterly irrelevant. A emulator, including this one, is original code and Nintendo doesn't own a single bit of it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The person you quoted was responding to someone questioning why Era allows these threads. You responded to their justification with what appeared to be some criticism. I responded to you because it's tiresome that every one of these threads has people complaining about or lamenting the whole thing.

Emulation is not a grey area because there are people that pirate.
It's just as tiring when people don't see the slightest problem with emulators and go "Emulators don't pirate games, people do" all the time.
I'm out now though. Have a nice day.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
The emulator does yes. But you need to run code to be able to dump games which would invalidate the warranty of the Switch if you returned it to get your $300 back.

Which would happen if you dump your own games...

That makes sense.

I was thinking about how Sony lost a few years ago a trial against some emulator... can't remember the name but they didn't try nothing after that.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The emulator does yes. But you need to run code to be able to dump games which would invalidate the warranty of the Switch if you returned it to get your $300 back.

Which would happen if you dump your own games...
Any exploitable switch will work for that purpose, including a Switch lent by a friend. Or if you don't have a friend with one, it will be easy enough to rent one for a day.

I never bought the Wii U and I did exactly that: bought Bayonetta 2/Mario Kart 8/Zelda and dumped them using my friend's Wii U.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
/s?

Citra for example, while taking a huuuge step recently by implementing a gpu option for shader emulation it still is not 100% compatible, do you really think that by the end of the year this new emulator will be? Besides that, did Citra destroy the 3DS sales?

As for the emulator itself, the Citra team is great and I can't wait to see what they pull of with the Switch emulation in the future.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense.

I was thinking about how Sony lost a few years ago a trial against some emulator... can't remember the name but they didn't try nothing after that.

Emulator is perfectly legal when built on its own, and these are open-source making them knowingly non-derivative.

Its access to the games themselves that is the issue. There is no way to do this without possession of a Switch and 'my friend's Switch' is about as solid of a defense as 'my friend's BIOS' or 'my friend's games'.

So when you see people celebrating these emulators but also in the same breath lambasting the Switch or openly saying they don't own one, you should :think: or :thonk: on their statement as it is a dubious one in this context, a very dubious one.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
That makes sense.

They lost against bleem back in 1999 for PlayStation 1, for the thing you were mentioning, some group managed to jailbreak PS4 back when it launched and Sony was mad so they sued the group.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i hope the sales of games dont suffer because of those that sink to piracy

its always REALLY hard for me to accept when its a machine thats recent, let alone still in production and will be going for a long time

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Oh the emulator is totally legal I get that as the devs are not using copyrighted code, I was just trying to find out where people stood when it came to using the emulator without owning a Switch.

Any exploitable switch will work for that purpose, including a Switch lent by a friend. Or if you don't have a friend with one, it will be easy enough to rent one for a day.

I never bought the Wii U and I did exactly that: bought Bayonetta 2/Mario Kart 8/Zelda and dumped them using my friend's Wii U.

Then, at least from an ethical point of view, that is wrong in my opinion. And yes, I believe that is a gray area in the eyes of the law. Would anything be done about it? Most likely not.

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
It's just as tiring when people don't see the slightest problem with emulators and go "Emulators don't pirate games, people do" all the time.
I'm out now though. Have a nice day.

Becaue there very factually isn't even a slight problem with emulators anymore than there is with nintendos own consoles.

Yes, people can, if they're willing, use it to pirate games.
Just like they can on the WiiU, 3DS and most likely Switch sometime in the next 12 months.

Yet i'm pretty sure the users of this board would get pissed pretty quickly if i were to derail every single one of their threads with piracy talk

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
If I want to play Breath of the Wild at 4K @ 60fps on PC then the law says I am well within my rights to do so if I buy BotW for WiiU or Switch and rip it.

Sorry, you clearly didn't read my post properly. It depends. If the emulator has baked the bios, the rom from the console or the API calls for the console into the emulator then no, you're not.
If the emulator actually has it's own emulated bios - trying to interpret the bios calls to do the same action - rather than just hardware emulating the bios, then you're good.
It isn't just as simple as 'I own the game'.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The console and games will sell plenty fine as they always did regardless of piracy in emulators. There's really no problem in the existence of it when most people buy and finance it. lol

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Emulator is perfectly legal when built on its own, and these are open-source making them knowingly non-derivative.

Its access to the games themselves that is the issue. There is no way to do this without possession of a Switch and 'my friend's Switch' is about as solid of a defense as 'my friend's BIOS' or 'my friend's games'.

So when you see people celebrating these emulators but also in the same breath lambasting the Switch or openly saying they don't own one, you should :think: or :thonk: on their statement as it is a dubious one in this context, a very dubious one.
Why is it a dubious 'defense' (what are we defending, anyway?) to say that you used your friend's Switch? Also, this conversation is a bit silly at this point because no one is going to be emulating any Switch games to actually play them any time soon. Whenever that time finally does roll around, there will likely be a more streamlined way to get CFW and backup/dumping capabilities on your Switch. At which point you could resell it for a pretty good price as a pre-exploited guaranteed-to-work-with-CFW Switch on ebay or some such. No need to buy & return to store.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Emulators are fine in the same way media players are legal, just because you could use them to watch illegally downloaded movies or play dumped roms/iso doesn't make the software illegal.

This is also far from dooming the switch, as others have said to run an emulator like this at an acceptable frame rate you need a legit top tier PC.

Brauni

Dec 4, 2017
On the one hand I want to play Nintendo games in 4k and have a good ol' laugh with a bit of wacky mods thrown in.

But on the other I don't want Nintendo to lose any potential earnings because I am a bit of an apebrain with to much emotional bonding to a company

Fight emotions, fight!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
With more cores becoming mainstream on PC and the switch running an Nvidia chipset I image it wont be too too long before we start seeing switch games at 4K.

Glorious times ahead.
But i wont be partaking in the Switch this generation.

Im still have to get a PS4 and upgrade my PC next year, money gonna be tight as fuck.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Boi, would be amazing if we get a swtich emulator while the console is still alive.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody uses his friend's console, and only the purest of heart rips his own game (like 0.1%). I don't know who people are trying to kid here.

Not that it's a bad thing, since it's all technically legal anyway and people will never have to know how you access it. I just find this charade we create kind of amusing.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
Yeesh these emulation threads are always such a shit show.

Either way there's not much to discuss. It's still years away from actually emulating Switch game.

Nov 4, 2017
Seriously, the amount of corporate sycophancy on this site is truly horrifying - I've yet to come across anything quite like it. It seem a huge portion of people on here would love nothing better than to live within a corporate dystopia. The hypocritical part is that these very same people will be up in arms about social injustices and left-wing politics 5 minutes later.