• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

unknownspectator

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think you are very alone with that opinion. 2 was just a weak sequel, using the same assets and the same town. 3 actually improved the game and 4 turned it into a superhero game. 2 is by far the one with the least amount of effort put into it.

you are so wrong on all accounts. 2 was the best sequel in the series. 3 featured an uninspired town with a story littered with sex jokes. I mean come on, they used a cut activity from 2 called guardian angels as a main story mission twice and you call SR2 lazy? pfft. and 4 was so different it might as well have been a different game.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I think you are very alone with that opinion. 2 was just a weak sequel, using the same assets and the same town. 3 actually improved the game and 4 turned it into a superhero game. 2 is by far the one with the least amount of effort put into it.
Haha what?
3 is a step backwards.
The controls and playability are a bit better, but the story/city/characters/writing/content are several times worse.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Just landed on the docks of Stilwater and already came across 6 pimps fighting with 2 security guards. Damn I missed this game.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just popped in my disk and the opening boat chase, runs poorly even on the Xbox One X. But, I am having so much fun regardless of the goofy charm and steady pace. What happened to this great series? I am getting tearily eyed with this one, a revival is needed to cure people of the horrible Agents of Mayhem. Koch Media need to greenlight a new game soon!
Yeah, I just started playing and everything ran smooth up until the opening boat chase. Boy, does the framerate tank. Afterwards everything seemed to run smooth again. I hope the Back Compat team can patch the emulator so that boat chase can run better.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Doubt I'll ever play it again. Outside of Gat Out of Hell, it's my least favourite from that series. I made the mistake of buying it, renting lots of games and letting it sit, then playing Saints Row: The Third (which was amazing), then going back to play 2. Even years after it released, it was still a buggy, somehow boring and dated experience.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
you are so wrong on all accounts. 2 was the best sequel in the series. 3 featured an uninspired town with a story littered with sex jokes. I mean come on, they used a cut activity from 2 called guardian angels as a main story mission twice and you call SR2 lazy? pfft. and 4 was so different it might as well have been a different game.

co-signed

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
2 had the best story, with a rock solid… wouldn't call it a "twist" but a reinterpretation of previous events at the end that totally reframes the rest of the story in a really interesting way. 3 was a mechanical upgrade on every level, and 4 was... well, 4 was completely insane, in a way that I think actually earns it some points, and actually not a bad superhero game. Plus it has Keith David, and a dedicated "let's bang" button for your crew. 1 is just a basic GTA clone, but the rest all have *something * going for them.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
If Saint's Row 2 was a movie, it'd be The Big Hit, stupid fun that doesn't take itself too seriously but it's not excessively over the top.

Oct 27, 2017
2 had the best story, with a rock solid… wouldn't call it a "twist" but a reinterpretation of previous events at the end that totally reframes the rest of the story in a really interesting way. 3 was a mechanical upgrade on every level, and 4 was... well, 4 was completely insane, in a way that I think actually earns it some points, and actually not a bad superhero game. Plus it has Keith David, and a dedicated "let's bang" button for your crew. 1 is just a basic GTA clone, but the rest all have *something * going for them.

Yep. The gameplay got better with 3, no doubt, but it lacked a lot of what made 2 so great. I'd rank the series 2,4,3,1. 1 being the only real weak one in the series.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Can't believe people don't like SR2 as much as 3 or 4. I've always seen it as a unofficial sequel to GTA:SA which makes it the best by default.

Also the 80's station is great in this game.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Its like you purposely avoided any opinions on this series until now. I agree 2 is better. More content and it was of better quality with better writing.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. The gameplay got better with 3, no doubt, but it lacked a lot of what made 2 so great. I'd rank the series 2,4,3,1. 1 being the only real weak one in the series.

2 has so much content compared to 3 and 4, it's ridiculous. I love those two games, but 2 is just on another level.

A remake of 2 with the upgraded control/gameplay would be great though. Maybe add a couple more fighting styles too.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I still find it so weird that the team that made this was basically the same as the one that made the Descent games.