• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Not in any way, shape, or form, at all. Raimi's Spider-Man has one character trait, MCU's is an actual person.

I'm beginning to think the Raimi threads are some kind of coordinated stunt at this point.

if the raimi films suck so bad why did disney bring back jk simmons

1. They didn't suck
2. JK Simmons is the best thing in all three Raimi films and they were never going to do better than that casting
3. Marvel Studios brought him back, not Disney

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

No, my thread wasn't about the exact same thing. It was a completely different topic that unfortunately devolved into this crap. But you can keep ignoring what I've been saying all along and just lump my thread in with every blatant pro-Raimi thread that's been posted since FFH. That's cool too.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
OP is just stating the facts.

I like Tom Holland, but his Spider-Man is so... Meh? The movies are saved by the AMAZING villains.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well MCU Spider-Man doesn't really even have characterization, so the Sam Raimi movies win by default in this regard.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's tiny_bench_hop.gif vs mannequin_swing.gif

I also hate on doaflip.gif. Like dude your Spider-Man, you should go up 10ft in the air with your ankle. That was just in shape Tom doing a flip.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Idk maybe confine these to a general thread? A few other subjects could use that.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I have to disagree OP. I think that some elements of Peter's life are different than the Raimi films by necessity since MCU Spider-man is connected to a broader universe and the character has to be distinct from its previous iterations (Tobey and Andrew). Different doesn't mean worse. MCU Spider-man had a close relationship with Tony Stark, it would make zero sense to have Tony's protege have money issues.

If you're attached to that particular element of Peter's life I can see why you would believe that the Raimi films did it better and that's ok, I really like them too. However, opening yourself up to a different interpretation of the character that has some different life experiences but still retains the emotional core of "what kind of effect does being a superhero have to a regular kid/person" could only be a good thing.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
First off, the word you wanna use is "different," not "better." And secondly:
Spider-Man's characterization is more than just his relationship with Tony. The Raimi movies do a good job showing how much life sucks for Peter Parker, and the financial struggles of Aunt May and Peter Parker. I guess MCU is cooler in terms of how Spider-Man fits into the overall universe.
Raimi's version is only one version. Just because he made Pete be broke all the time doesn't mean it's the best. It was great at the time, and this isn't me saying the movies are bad or anything (3 not withstanding), but bad luck/shit life doesn't define him.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
If you have only read Ultimate Spider-Man, yeah, you're right.

Raimi's versions clearly took that particular story (particularly the first 5 issues) and recreated them very well.

But for Spider-Man as a whole? Wouldn't go thst far.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
1pt7pdubtakz.jpg

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The constant threads championing the Raimi films recently is really weird, and this is from someone who loves the first two films, warts and all.

I can't even imagine the threads we're gonna get when the MCU X-Men finally show up.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Okay. I turned 39 this year. I've been an Spider-Man fan since I was 10 years old. I survived the Clone Saga. I enjoyed the animated series as a kid. I loved the Raimi movies as they came out. I even defended Topher Grace as Venom as I saw him as an "Anti-Peter" instead of the comic version.

But times change, and so must we. You can absolutely like the Raimi versions better. Or you can see them as "the best they could do back then"

You can hate the MCU Spider-Man for glossing over Uncle Ben and focusing less on the Friendly Neighborhood part.

But we shouldn't be doing this every week.

The Raimi movies are heralded as the first super hero movies to be willing to take the silly with the serious since Batman and Superman before them.

And they are decent flicks no doubt. But they are not the end all be all of super hero flicks.

The MCU Spidey movies are part of a large story and can give them more weight and strength. But they aren't the end all be all of superhero flcks.

Let's just all be happy that they aren't Amazing Spider-Man 2 and join hands in that fact.

Jun 22, 2019
First, this isn't a Spider-Man 2 thread. Second, people shouldn't be allowed to discuss the movie anymore? I wonder if you'd be saying the same thing if people were making FFH threads constantly.

Just how many threads do you need? Do you not realize you can contribute to all the existing threads? Every possible thought needs to be its own thread or what?

By the way, I haven't seen FFH.
That little snide remark definitely doesn't reinforce the notion that you made your thread earlier today in good faith though.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The only people who come across as insecure are the ones thread whining. Geez, it's just a thread. Ignore it and move on if you don't want to discuss.

But, yes OP, I prefer Raimi for the same reason. Peter is just so much more relatable.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man's characterization is more than just his relationship with Tony. The Raimi movies do a good job showing how much life sucks for Peter Parker, and the financial struggles of Aunt May and Peter Parker. I guess MCU is cooler in terms of how Spider-Man fits into the overall universe.
Homecoming did what Raimi couldn't and broke a billion (and is the better spiderman)

Take the L Raimi fans.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I MUST complain about people liking these movies!

Relax and don't post in these threads then god damn lol

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Just how many threads do you need? Do you not realize you can contribute to all the existing threads? Every possible thought needs to be its own thread or what?

By the way, I haven't seen FFH.
That little snide remark definitely doesn't reinforce the notion that you made your thread earlier today in good faith though.

When I made my thread, I wasn't even aware or cared that there was some sort of war going on between MCU stans and Raimi stans. I don't go on the off-topic side of this forum much. I literally just happened to rewatch the Raimi films last week and wanted to share my thoughts on the second film in particular. If I had known or done a search and found out what has been happening, I probably wouldn't have bothered posting it, so that falls squarely on me, I guess.

I have nothing against the MCU films. I watched FFH and greatly enjoyed it. The reason I made that snide remark is because of how MCU fans have been acting in my thread and in this one. Considering I wanted to have a genuine discussion about Spider-Man 2 earlier today and my thread ended up being a shitshow and the fact that the intent of my thread was assumed to be no different than other pro-Raimi threads (even though I clearly explained the intent of my thread a million times both here and in my thread), I think I have a right to be a little upset. I take no sides in this silly debate. I'm just a little flabbergasted by how things turned out. But I do realize that not everybody bothers to read OPs.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
All these Raimi Spider-Man threads make an excellent case for adding a filter option to the ignore thread feature to automatically block them as they come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.