• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be cool to see the same cast star in a movie with a stark stylistic shift from the first three movies. Raimi's one of the only director's who has managed to somehow have his signature touch shine through in an MCU film.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
Fuck no and the dogshit opinions that want this lol this whole place is fkn bizarro verse.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I haven't been a fan of MCU Spider-Man but if Sam Raimi is directing, it goes back to street level and there's no more Stark tech bullshit than I'd be all over that shit.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I'm in! I am not a fan of Raimi's visual style but he is a capable director so I can look past it.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many people that don't like Strange 2 and blaming it on Raimi when for sure it's way more a script than it ever was direction.

Mar 21, 2018
Spiderman 3 was really bad but Dr Strange 2 was really good so a qualified yay? Maybe? As long as he's left to do what he wants with minimal studio fuckery.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Aside from the source of this having zero credibility, Raimi is not a director I'd want doing a Holland Spider-Man movie.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
If he wants to direct a spiderman give him back Toby and make his Spiderman 4, and then make another one with another director with tom holland. Both are easily going to make a billion.

Oct 25, 2017
John Francis daley and Jonathan Goldstein would be something I'd be up for. The dungeons and dragons film was awesome.

Op should have the others in the title too

Last edited:

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Bring back the zoom!

tumblr_n82ih3bPTy1rrkahjo10_500.gif

u4BWTD.gif

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't enjoy Doctor Strange 2 as much as I hoped, but I do enjoy Raimi's direction and style, so I'd be fine with him returning to Spider-Man and directing the fourth movie.

With that said, I also think that it'd be nice to give another filmmaker a shot at directing a Spidey flick. Raimi directed 3 already. 2 great ones, and one that had some genuinely good stuff in it, but was severely hurt by studio interference.

As much fun as I think it'd be to see Raimi handle Holland's Peter with his unique style, I really do want to see a young, up and coming director take the reigns.

I'm apparently one of the few that enjoyed the 3 MCU Spidey films. They weren't retreads of what we had seen before in the 5 other Spidey films, and they were fun, light-hearted films that were entertaining, had great casts, and, thanks to how No Way Home concluded, felt like the "Home" trilogy of films was a long form origin story setting the stage for the type of Peter we usually saw from jump in comics and the Raimi films; down on his luck Peter Parker struggling to find his balance between what he wants, and what his powers and the subsequent responsibility of those powers demand of him.

As long as the fourth movie is a more street level, non-world ending threat to Peter, and maybe introducing some lesser known villains they can turn into credible threats (see: The Spot, from Across the Spider-Verse for example), I don't care if it's Raimi, or the other directors that were in the running.

I also don't think Raimi would attempt to do what he did with the Tobey movies with the Holland movies, but I still want a new director to get a shot at the big leagues heading up this new Spidey film.

This means Bruce Campbell gets work, so I am for it.

If Raimi does end up directing, they should do an opening bit in the movie where someone claiming to be Mysterio is causing some shit, and Tom shows up, kicks his butt, demasks him, and it's Bruce Campbell. Bonus points for a tongue in cheek joke about how he's been trying to build a career since being a wrestling announcer, theater staff member, and restaurant host since the early 2000's, and it never panned out for him, but he was inspired by Quentin Beck's actions a few years back and wanted to carry it forward. lol

Just bring it full circle, and have it only take up a few minutes of screen time at the opening before moving into the real plot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is a terrible source and almost certainly fake.

Wild how much the "put Raimi on Spidey" take still appears throughout Era after the divisive to negative reaction that MoM received.

First good MCU Spidey film incoming?

There's already three, including the two best live action Spider-Man films. Here's hoping they go four for four though.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Have him team up with Charlie Cox's Daredevil and take on Kingpin.

Yup. I'd even say push for a Punisher cameo, just to get that iconic scene in the Civil War comics of Punisher rescuing Spiderman. He doesn't need to be in it for long but it really want that ironic moment put to screen.

Having Daredevil Born Again leading into the events of Spider-Man 4 would be amazing. Want to see Fisk create Scorpion as a way of dealing with Spider-Man as part of his anti vigilante team.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
If Raimi does end up directing, they should do an opening bit in the movie where someone claiming to be Mysterio is causing some shit, and Tom shows up, kicks his butt, demasks him, and it's Bruce Campbell. Bonus points for a tongue in cheek joke about how he's been trying to build a career since being a wrestling announcer, theater staff member, and restaurant host since the early 2000's, and it never panned out for him, but he was inspired by Quentin Beck's actions a few years back and wanted to carry it forward. lol

Just bring it full circle, and have it only take up a few minutes of screen time at the opening before moving into the real plot.

This is genius and I fully support it, lol.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Doc strange 2 was the best post endgame flick to date so sure. Give it to him.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Getting Raimi involved would be a way to get me interested. That said, if this rumour isn't false, he'd better be involved on the script level as well.

This is a terrible source and almost certainly fake.

Wild how much the "put Raimi on Spidey" take still appears throughout Era after the divisive to negative reaction that MoM received.
The problems with Multiverse of Madness are with the script, which Raimi had nothing to do with, not with the directing. It's one of the few MCU films that actually has a signature style.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is genius and I fully support it, lol.

Lol, it would be so absurd, but I'd love it so much XD XD

Even back in the day, me and my friends were pretty convinced that Campbell's character was going to be revealed to be Quentin Beck at some point. His arc across all 3 movies just felt too much like pieces being laid down leading up to that reveal/turn lol

And I think Raimi or someone eventually confirmed quite a while later that that may have been the plan? Perhaps him not being the main antagonist of the movie, but he'd pop up as Mysterio at some point as a running gag with Campbell's cameos. I could be wrong though lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Getting Raimi involved would be a way to get me interested. That said, if this rumour isn't false, he'd better be involved on the script level as well.

The problems with Multiverse of Madness are with the script, which Raimi had nothing to do with, not with the directing. It's one of the few MCU films that actually has a signature style.

Nah, I'm kind of bored of the excuses people make for Raimi when he releases something divisive (MoM -- which I do like) or bad (Spidey 3).

Raimi is known for being a director who is incredibly hands on with the creative process and storytelling of his films. We don't get to pretend that's not the case only when the result is lacking.

Raimi absolutely shares the blame for the issues with MoM, one of its biggest being the treatment of Wanda, which is quite in line with how female characters were treated in his Spider-Man films.

But even ignoring all of that, if the rumor about Spider-Man 4 being a more grounded film (potentially with Daredevil) is true, that is not suited for Raimi. MoM and it's overly fantastical and strange concept was definitely up Raimi's alley.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I'm kind of bored of the excuses people make for Raimi when he releases something divisive (MoM -- which I do like) or bad (Spidey 3).

Raimi is known for being a director who is incredibly hands on with the creative process and storytelling of his films. We don't get to pretend that's not the case only when the result is lacking.

Raimi absolutely shares the blame for the issues with MoM, one of its biggest being the treatment of Wanda, which is quite in line with how female characters were treated in his Spider-Man films.

But even ignoring all of that, if the rumor about Spider-Man 4 being a more grounded film (potentially with Daredevil) is true, that is not suited for Raimi. MoM and it's overly fantastical and strange concept was definitely up Raimi's alley.
Raimi was literally called into MoM at the last minute though, when the script was already written. There were rumours about Wanda being the villain from before Raimi was ever involved. He had nothing to do with the MoM script, he was a director for hire.

With Spider-Man 3 it's widely known that the studio heavily interfered to the point of completely changing the intended story. Raimi wanted a story focusing on Sandman and the conclusion of the Harry plotline, Sony forced him to include Venom and Black Suit Spidey. These are not excuses, we know what happened. And even if you don't know, it's painfully obvious from watching the movie that something was up behind the scenes. The Harry storyline is weirdly rushed to its conclusion after two movies of setup and it's very clear that there's much less interest within the script in the symbiote stuff than the Sandman stuff (all of which is genuinely great).

I also don't think Spider-Man 3 was that bad, IMO it's better than all three MCU movies and definitely much better than the ASM movies, but that's my weird personal opinion.

As for whether or not the treatment of Wanda in MoM is "typically Raimi", I think this is a really selective read of Raimi's filmography. Does he sometimes have issues with writing female characters? Yes, but at the same time there's stuff like The Quick and the Death and Drag Me to Hell, which both have amazing female characters as their main focus.

Also, kinda wild to say that Raimi isn't suited for a grounded Spider-Man story, when he created the best live action Spider-Man films both of which were grounded. And hell, he also created the second best grounded non-comic book superhero story after Unbreakable with Darkman.

Last edited:

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I loved MoM, so why not. I certainly hope it's better than the previous three entries.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Also, kinda wild to say that Raimi isn't suited for a grounded Spider-Man story, when he created the best live action Spider-Man films both of which were grounded.

Those have been surpassed by now (especially the first one) but I certainly wouldn't consider either of them grounded. Spider-Man vs. Doctor Octopus and his miniature sun machine?

When I think of street level Spider-Man, I think of him going up against Kingpin. And no, I don't think Raimi is suited for that.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
b91dac98c48c97a4ed7737dfd49eff18.gif

I would have him in a heartbeat if he could bring that Spider-Man 2 energy into Tom's fight scenes.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Those have been surpassed by now (especially the first one) but I certainly wouldn't consider either of them grounded. Spider-Man vs. Doctor Octopus and his miniature sun machine?

When I think of street level Spider-Man, I think of him going up against Kingpin. And no, I don't think Raimi is suited for that.
I very much disagree that Raimi's first two Spider-Man films have been surpassed in the live action space. The ASM movies are laughably terrible and the MCU Spidey films are IMO just so dull and lifeless. They completely lack the spark and passion of the Raimi films.

Now, Into the Spider-Verse of course did surpass the first Spider-Man and I go back and forth on whether it's better than Spider-Man 2, but in live action they are IMO still the movies to beat.

And Raimi's Spider-Man films are, despite the miniature sun stuff, still the most grounded of the Spider-Man movies.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
kinda hoping he bamboozles Disney by replacing the script, last minute, with the one he had planned for Spiderman 4 under maguire, and by the time Feige notices, it's too late to do any reshoots.