• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I personally enjoyed MoM and it had some fantastic scenes, the tunnel chase and Wanda hilariously destroying the Illuminati in around 30 seconds springing to mind . I thought it was really well shot and had those Raimi touches but without being completely separate from the MCU style, which I imagine would be very hard to do.

There were some bits that didn't land as well but tbh I don't lay those at Raimi's feet as he was pretty much parachuted in to take over a film that was already well into prep.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him helm another Marvel film as he managed to do what they asked and, from what I understand, the entire production went well even under what would have been a lot of pressure with time constraints and the pandemic. Everything I've read implies that both Raimi and Marvel were happy with the relationship they had on the production.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Homecoming is a fine movie but SM1 and 2 are still head and shoulders above it.

Even 3 which is a pretty bad movie all in all still oozes a distinct character and style that I feel (most) MCU movies lack.

Something I hear thrown around by folk is that some people would rather watch a fun 2/10 movie they can laugh at and have a good time with than a more average, by-the-numbers flick, and I think I agree in my case. Like Thor: The Dark World is totally a better movie than Batman & Robin, but I'd take the fun and camp of the latter any day.

All my opinion of course, your mileage may vary.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any strong feelings about Raimi in general. Spider-Man 2 was phenomenal but I'm not exactly begging for him. However, I find the MCU Spider-Man films rather lacking. Homecoming was probably the best one, but in general the films feel more sterile compared to the original trilogy. I don't know; I enjoyed the MCU movies when I watched them, but there's something missing in regards to the relationships Peter has with the people around him.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Peter was the least interesting character out of the Spidey MCU films. His supporting cast wasn't that much better. The best movie relied on cameos of more interesting people. Hopefully they really improve that aspect since he's supposed to be more on his own this time.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The Harry storyline is weirdly rushed to its conclusion after two movies of setup and it's very clear that there's much less interest within the script in the symbiote stuff than the Sandman stuff (all of which is genuinely great).

I strongly disagree with that. In my opinion, the decision to retcon Uncle Ben's death as Flint's doing in order to create a personal connection to Peter was absolutely awful.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If this is the rumored street level movie with DD and Kingpin directed by Raimi that would be absolutely amazing!
Multiverse stuff they can keep - not interested at all in that atm.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
It's probably fake given the source, but man. Holland's Spidey needs that energy on screen. Do I think his movies are decent? yes. Do I think they have consistently great cinematography/direction? NO. And when you compare it with other live action takes on the character, it's kind of baffling it's not the case.

Film is a visual medium. I want a good story (that's mandatory) but I also want good cinematography (that SHOULD be mandatory as well), especially on a character so widely associated with it in his live action history (and even animation, if you consider the amazing and gorgeous Spider-Verse movies).

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The issue was more the script than anything else. The actual directing was great.

The big problem with these last few Marvel films is they keep attempting to escalate off of Endgame and backdoor new characters instead of giving them their own films or using the shows to get them in. Giving Kamala and Hawkeye their own shows was exactly how you do it: you gotta let us get attached to these characters before you make them the next big thing.

The big example of this was Quantumania. The issue with that movie was that it had none of what made Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp great. The supporting cast was gone, the heist movie framework vanished, they recast the cute little girl and replaced her with, essentially, a totally new character. Quantumania felt more like it should have been an Avengers movie than an Ant-Man film. Scott didn't really have much of an emotional struggle in the film and neither did Hope. They're the title characters and they felt almost like side-characters. Plus, where's the dude who did the recaps? How did they not get him to do one after Endgame?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The issue was more the script than anything else. The actual directing was great.

The big problem with these last few Marvel films is they keep attempting to escalate off of Endgame and backdoor new characters instead of giving them their own films or using the shows to get them in. Giving Kamala and Hawkeye their own shows was exactly how you do it: you gotta let us get attached to these characters before you make them the next big thing.

The big example of this was Quantumania. The issue with that movie was that it had none of what made Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp great. The supporting cast was gone, the heist movie framework vanished, they recast the cute little girl and replaced her with, essentially, a totally new character. Quantumania felt more like it should have been an Avengers movie than an Ant-Man film. Scott didn't really have much of an emotional struggle in the film and neither did Hope. They're the title characters and they felt almost like side-characters.

You can summarize all this by just saying this

Bob Chapek Era.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You can summarize all this by just saying this

Bob Chapek Era.
I'm just saying, if I'm going to an Ant-Man movie then I have certain expectations and none of them were met. Doctor Strange kinda had a lot of the same issues, the only difference was it felt like they tried to at least patch them up at the last minute.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying, if I'm going to an Ant-Man movie then I have certain expectations and none of them were met. Doctor Strange kinda had a lot of the same issues, the only difference was it felt like they tried to at least patch them up at the last minute.

Phase 4 was rough overall. Its lunacy how the Marvel hype train is just not the same anymore. However, I have faith with power once again restored, Marvel will see quality starting with DP3.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Phase 4 was rough overall. Its lunacy how the Marvel hype train is just not the same anymore. However, I have faith with power once again restored, Marvel will see quality starting with DP3.
They just kept trying to squeeze in multiverse shenanigans into all of them. It kinda worked for Spider-Man as a result of a combination of nostalgia and that it was basically just a Sinister Six movie in all but name. That said, I really do think that could have been better if it really had just been a Sinister Six movie without the multiverse shenanigans. I kinda wanted them to bring back Vulture because he's really been the most interesting bad guy they've had in a minute, the changes they made to him were inspired and would have made for an interesting narrative.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They just kept trying to squeeze in multiverse shenanigans into all of them. It kinda worked for Spider-Man as a result of a combination of nostalgia and that it was basically just a Sinister Six movie in all but name. That said, I really do think that could have been better if it really had just been a Sinister Six movie without the multiverse shenanigans. I kinda wanted them to bring back Vulture because he's really been the most interesting bad guy they've had in a minute, the changes they made to him were inspired and would have made for an interesting narrative.

There was no reason why Keaton shouldn't have been in NWH.

There's also no reason why he needed to be in Morbius even though they kept splicing that reel till the 9th hour.

In hindsight, NWH is such a Nostalgia slap in the face for us fans, but you can see many miss opportunities when you re-watch it.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
And Raimi's Spider-Man films are, despite the miniature sun stuff, still the most grounded of the Spider-Man movies.
The sustainable fusion project being a miniature sun is a relatively minor science gaffe compared to
  • the mini sun producing incredibly powerful magnetism
  • but not enough heat to instantly burn Manhattan to a crisp or even the makeshift lab it's in
  • also, it's magnetic enough to drag cars blocks away, but the steel framed buildings aren't affected?
  • also this little sun can be shut off if dropped in the Hudson
  • but dropping this miniature sun into the river doesn't even boil any water much less cause a devastating steam explosion
I still like SM2 but the science stuff just drives me nuts every time.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Lol, it would be so absurd, but I'd love it so much XD XD

Even back in the day, me and my friends were pretty convinced that Campbell's character was going to be revealed to be Quentin Beck at some point. His arc across all 3 movies just felt too much like pieces being laid down leading up to that reveal/turn lol

And I think Raimi or someone eventually confirmed quite a while later that that may have been the plan? Perhaps him not being the main antagonist of the movie, but he'd pop up as Mysterio at some point as a running gag with Campbell's cameos. I could be wrong though lol

You're not wrong, the storyboards that have been released for SM4 actually show him as Mysterio

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
He is batting .500 for good superhero movies, and the last of those was 20 years ago.

There are worse options, sure, but I don't understand why Marvel would pick this guy.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You're not wrong, the storyboards that have been released for SM4 actually show him as Mysterio

Ah, yeah, I thought so! I remember seeing these storyboards a long time ago!

I think that would have been so much fun to see all those Campbell cameos have a an actual payoff beyond just a simple cameo, even if this would still be a cameo.

I just love the idea of some minor character that has appeared since the first film having their own behind the scenes story that we don't see, but can infer, like Campbell's "secret Mysterio" set up lol

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man 3 is a bad movie, even Raimi disowns it. And unlike the SW prequels you can't even attempt the "at least he had a VISION" rehab thing that every bad 00s movie is now getting because the thing was heavily compromised by the studio!

And ironically I think that movie is let down more by what Raimi wanted to do with it than Avi Arad — the Sandman and Harry plots are both really ill-conceived and never work well enough to justify the decision to retcon Uncle Ben's murder or having James Franco play amnesiac for an hour. The funny thing is, while the symbiote/Venom stuff is undercooked and plainly not to Raimi's interest, it actually feels more germane to the story the movie wants to tell.

All that said — I really dug his work on MoM (which feels like more of a Raimi movie than any of his Spideys) and would be down for seeing him do another Marvel thing.

I think he would've been a minor character though, not one of the main villains (which iirc was Vulture, Black Cat, and maybe Lizard)

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
If I can't get Spider-Man 4, then I gladly take MCU Spider-Man 4 by him. It's guaranteed it will be better visually than Watts style.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Spider-Man 3 is a bad movie, even Raimi disowns it. And unlike the SW prequels you can't even attempt the "at least he had a VISION" rehab thing that every bad 00s movie is now getting because the thing was heavily compromised by the studio!

And ironically I think that movie is let down more by what Raimi wanted to do with it than Avi Arad — the Sandman and Harry plots are both really ill-conceived and never work well enough to justify the decision to retcon Uncle Ben's murder or having James Franco play amnesiac for an hour. The funny thing is, while the symbiote/Venom stuff is undercooked and plainly not to Raimi's interest, it actually feels more germane to the story the movie wants to tell.

All that said — I really dug his work on MoM (which feels like more of a Raimi movie than any of his Spideys) and would be down for seeing him do another Marvel thing.

I think he would've been a minor character though, not one of the main villains (which iirc was Vulture, Black Cat, and maybe Lizard)

Yeah, as far as I remember that was meant to be the opening sequence, and it'd been a gag.

On your first point though... Yeah, I agree. Having said that, like you said, Raimi has pretty much publicly acknowledged that the movie sucks, and I reckon that if he didn't have to deal with the black suit+Venom he could've made the Sandman plot gel a bit better, it at least could've made for a way better movie.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Multiverse of Madness is my second favorite MCU movie, but I want Raimi to make a third Strange, so I'd rather he not get on Spidey duty for the next decade. He can do Secret Wars though. (Also if he wants to do another Spider-Man, they should just let him and Tobey make a fourth one and make all the money. The MCU can handle the competition)

Plus, Holland's take on Spider-Man should get to define its own visual identity, not just crib from the Tobey trilogy's. I really like the D&D guys for this, that movie was excellent and the action is exactly what this type of movie needs. Plus this is kinda their Spidey, they understand his character and humor.

Favreau... sure. He's been in sell-out mode for ages so I wouldn't expect anything different than Jon Watts (which I didn't hate btw)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Multiverse of Madness is my second favorite MCU movie, but I want Raimi to make a third Strange, so I'd rather he not get on Spidey duty for the next decade. He can do Secret Wars though. (Also if he wants to do another Spider-Man, they should just let him and Tobey make a fourth one and make all the money. The MCU can handle the competition)

Plus, Holland's take on Spider-Man should get to define its own visual identity, not just crib from the Tobey trilogy's. I really like the D&D guys for this, that movie was excellent and the action is exactly what this type of movie needs. Plus this is kinda their Spidey, they understand his character and humor.

Favreau... sure. He's been in sell-out mode for ages so I wouldn't expect anything different than Jon Watts (which I didn't hate btw)

Tobey doesn't want to do another one. He barely wanted to be in NWH.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I just desperately want more Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield as Spiderman. I think Tom Holland is cool but he's easily the weakest of the three imo. If it takes Sam Raimi to bring them back, then I'm for it.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
I've never seen his trilogy fully but his efforts can't be any worse than No Way Home. Far From Home was already pretty mediocre but I really felt it went downhill with No Way Home. His Dr. Strange was also probably the only film that I've truly enjoyed from the MCU since Endgame.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Who is this person in the tweet? And after how poorly multiverse of madness was received, I strongly doubt this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The comparison with Garfield in that movie was jarring.

It's rare that you see a more blatantly "I'm just here for a paycheck" performance that actually made it into the final edit. Usually that kind of halfass gets cut out in editing, reshoots and ADR.

Garfield clearly took his cameo really seriously, Maguire just did not give a shit.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's rare that you see a more blatantly "I'm just here for a paycheck" performance that actually made it into the final edit. Usually that kind of halfass gets cut out in editing, reshoots and ADR.

Garfield clearly took his cameo really seriously, Maguire just did not give a shit.
Madam Web and Dark Phoenix are even more egregious lol. Everyone in those movies give "we really don't want to be here"-vibes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Madam Web and Dark Phoenix are even more egregious lol. Everyone in those movies give "we really don't want to be here"-vibes.

Those movies are more like..."everyone hates their job".

It sticks out to me a lot more when ONE ACTOR in a cast is clearly phoning it in while everyone around them is really trying. It's kind of visible in reverse in Morbius, where Matt Smith is visibly desperate to squeeze anything he can out of a thankless part, while the rest of the cast (including the star) is on autopilot.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tobey does seem kinda bored in No Way Home, but I don't really think he had a lot to work with compared to Andrew. The difference in their Peters stands out when put together like that. I thought he did fine talking about Uncle Ben at least. Definitely played the part of the eldest brother which they were going for.

Kinda random but I still think it was super silly to have Goblin stab Tobey at the end. There was, like, no point to that at all. It was like a cheap effort to get gasps from the audience. Not even Tom cared when it happened.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Tobey knows he's there as a victory lap since basically everybody loves him as Spidey/Peter, Garfield had more to prove

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Tobey knows he's there as a victory lap since basically everybody loves him as Spidey/Peter, Garfield had more to prove
It probably had more to do with Garfield being a much better actor and finally not having garbage material to work with compared to the TASM movies.

Tobey hardly acts anymore, dude doesn't care lol. They both got paid the same amount to do that film.