• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
this is okay but I hope this doesn't mean Disney is folding to what Sony wants and just making another live action Spider-Verse movie.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
"Sam Raimi..."

yes!

"...in Contention to Direct MCU's ..."

yesss....!!

"'Spider-Man 4'"

omg it got so much better

::clicks thread::

"With Tom Holland"

oh.......................ok

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Gross. His over the top, hamfisted filming style mixed with his blatant disrespect for his audience would remove any enthusiasm I might have had for spiderman 4. Hope this isn't true.
???

If there's literally anything you can't fault Raimi for is him not respecting his audience. Pretty much all of his films are specifically made to be as crowd-pleasing as possible lol

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
They're one in the same. I know some people got nostalgia goggles on for those Raimi movies though.
Nostalgia googles?
But the Raimi movies look SO fire. They also have so many breathtaking and heartwarming scenes. And they don't seem to get the fundamentals of Spider-Man wrong either. Is it really unfair to think they're the best live action take on the character?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nostalgia googles?
But the Raimi movies look fire SO fire. They also have so many breathtaking and heartwarming scenes. And they don't seem to get the fundamentals of Spider-Man wrong either. Is it really unfair to think they're the best live action take on the character?

Well, we were talking about the character of Spider-Man -- the quality of his adaptation -- and the first thing you mentioned in defense of that was that the movies look good. I think that's telling.

There are things that they get right. And no one is going to say that the MCU films look better than the Raimi films. But Tobey's Spider-Man is the worst of the three.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Thats generally my response to anyone who thinks Tobey's Spider-Man is a better adaptation than Holland's.

Thankfully, that seems to be one of those Era Bubble things.
A bit silly to say that everyone who likes Tobey's/Raimi's Spider-Man better than Tom Holland Spider-Man thinks that because of "nostalgia glasses". It's like if I would say that people preferring Tom Holland is merely because of recency bias.

People have different opinions and some people simply prefer the old movies and the way they presented their characters over the newer ones. There's no objective truth here.

Also, for what it's worth, preferring the Raimi movies and characters definitely isn't an "ERA bubble". Most people I know (in real life or on platforms like Letterboxd) prefer the old movies over the new ones and Maguire over Holland.

EDIT:
Adaptation is also a finnicky thing, there's no one correct adaptation, especially when it comes to superhero media (with the exception I guess of adaptations of specific one-shot stories, see: Snyder's terrible Watchmen adaptation). There are many different ways to adapt someone like Spider-Man. You might prefer the way the MCU did it, but that doesn't make the way Raimi did it wrong or lesser.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Thats generally my response to anyone who thinks Tobey's Spider-Man is a better adaptation than Holland's.

Thankfully, that seems to be one of those Era Bubble things.
I usually agree with you with a lot of things, but this is one those topics that I think exists outside of the Era bubble. between all of the actors for Spider-Man, there is a lot of divisive and even polarizing opinions for who's the best, and who sucks. before NwH, Andrew Garfield wasn't in the conversation much. It all just came down to Tobey or Tom.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I usually agree with you with a lot of things, but this is one those topics that I think exists outside of the Era bubble. between all of the actors for Spider-Man, there is a lot of divisive and even polarizing opinions for who's the best, and who sucks. before NwH, Andrew Garfield wasn't in the conversation much. It all just came down to Tobey or Tom.

Man, that's not ever been my experience, though Tobey certainly comes up more than Andrew. (At least pre-NWH. After that, I feel like everyone wanted to see more of him.)

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that's not ever been my experience, though Tobey certainly comes up more than Andrew. (At least pre-NWH. After that, I feel like everyone wanted to see more of him.)
yeah I was there day one (or weekend one) for ASM2, but I feel like that series was very quickly forgotten but he very easily became a fan favorite all over again after his appearance in NwH.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love Raimi's Spider-Man but I lowkey kinda want Amazing 3 after NWH. Let my guy Garfield get his own great movie finally, he's my favourite Spidey thus far.

I mean fuck, use him in your shitty spin-off movies or something, Sony. I just want more of him.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Love Raimi's Spider-Man but I lowkey kinda want Amazing 3 after NWH. Let my guy Garfield get his own great movie finally, he's my favourite Spidey thus far.

I mean fuck, use him in your shitty spin-off movies or something, Sony. I just want more of him.
there was a lot of requests from fans to have the Venom series take place in the ASM universe. by doing that, Garfield could've appeared in the upcoming Venom 3.