DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware they're good designs, I'm just saying I'm not seeing this supposed drop in quality is all. I get why people don't like the design but its really a pull to say SNK's lost it.

SNK then:

sYK6TNbl.jpg

SNK now:
2Qlqki3.png

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say every brown woman in fighting games had blue eyes. Zarina has brown eyes. But Elena has white hair and blue eyes for no reason. Menat has blue eyes. Maya in Killer Instinct has blond dreads and blue eyes. Twintelle got white hair, blue eyes haha It's dumb common and we all know why.

Fair enough.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't the character designs of their latest KOF titles be judged alongside of their legacy products instead of the ...gag game

Because then their argument would fall apart real quick.

Comparing using that KOF98 poster (where characters are dressed like they never have in games) to Heroines to make their point, really says it all.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
What a godawful, terribad design. Getting real tired of the ambiguous brown girl trope.

SNK is losing their touch.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
And if I can be real? This design is kind of wack compared to other black/brown SNK characters. J, Heavy D, Lucky, and even newcomers like Najd are all better than this.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Close enough to the Hendrix song that I'm going to assume it's a reference.

I think she looks great! It'd be nice if she had pants though. Makes me optimistic about the other two newcomers.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Brown skin? CHECK, Muscular? CHECK, POC in japanese game without white hair? Double CHECK, Pirate theme? YEAH BOY, Large blade? Hell Yeah

Heels ....FUCK

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I dig it. Needs some shorts instead. Hell even booty shorts woulve been good too. But a sash that don't even cover the bottom? C'mon
Love the way she looks though. Depending on her play style she may be my main.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Got ff9 Lani vibes from her kinda.
1174123-lani.jpg

she could've benefited from some spats too. Love the sword.

Last edited:

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I wish her arm muscles were more defined, but that's really uncommon in character designs. Lotsa noodle arms out there for some reason. 🤔

It's a start!

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Even better if she's more of a power focused character. Not a lot of women end up like that in fighting games.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Cham Cham was always a little Pale girl, compared to big, muscular, Standing-on-point-of-his-toes Tam Tam. The first thing I thought of when I saw Darli was that she looks like a good counterbalance to Tam Tam, visually. Then I thought that she looks a lot like the type of character the Soul Calibur team said was CUT on out SC6 at the last moment.

I really like the muscular build, and the Jack-Sparrow-esque messy dressed pirate angle is fairly fresh for her. So she's a Shipwright? Even better. All the little tools along her outfit, and the "found object" nature of her accessories make me thing she's something of a smart, creative individual.

The first thing that came to mind for me (other than Monster Hunter) when seeing her, was actually Jeanine from Rune Soldier Louie:

1128883158.jpg

Which isn't a character many bring to mind now-a-days. (Fun fact, the other character in that picture was voiced by May Lee Jinju's VA). While you could say the lack of clothing is "sexy", the first thing I'd think of is "Athletic Body Builder". I don't mind the heels from a design point (I think the raised "ready to pounce" look they give legs and the musculature is great, same with TamTam), but I think, if she's as big and strong as projected, letting her height be all natural would say more for how imposing she is.

It's kind of hard to say how 100% successful she is before seeing her in game, hearing her voice, etc. But this is definitely a visual mix of details I wanted to see them take on, and the results are a bit fresher than I'd expect. She's not a plain pirate, or a plain bruiser with a heart of gold, or any of that, yet. She looks much more ambitious than J or Angelica did (where they seemed to want to stay fairly safe and restrictive), and she's not as "modern anime tropey" as Mina, so I think this is a solid start.

Old SNK had an army of designs that people loved.. and also ones that people found boring and lacking in fresh ideas. I don't mind the fact that modern SNK seems to be picking from the outer edges of modern archetypes now-a-days. They are generally showing a better variety worthy of "growth", rather than just constant, desperate callbacks to past styles. They're retro-informed, but not retro-fueled.