• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Or even better, give an option to disable gore.

Problem is when the game is made with gore as a selling point the gore will be the big thing about the game's fatalities and if you remove that with a no gore option you just end up with stuff that lacks impact as the focus was the gory finisher

See DoA6 and its shitty break blows. They are all pretty damn meh with the only remotely standout thing about them being the dumb close up. Remove that with the no violence option and you are left with a shitty "super move" with absolutely nothing noteworthy about it

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Break Blows in DoA6 are largely dull and one-note compared to the Power Blows from 5:LR, yeah.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for the gore but I would be extremely surprised if there wasn't a way to turn it off.

I will admit it will be super shocking to see Nakoruru get her arms lopped off or something... but I think if they go for very stylish over-the-top wounding and slicing it will probably be more palatable (as opposed to the more gritty "realistic" MK style).

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I think with its calligraphy art style and cartoon graphics I don't think it will be THAT gory. Still you could probably still see someone be cut in half but I think it will be finishers and maybe stylized so your not actually seeing it full on but with a shadow or behind a curtain but lit up kind of way. Or maybe like with that gif someone posted but with heavy shadows over the wounds but blood still visible.
That being said i hope there is an option to turn off blood and make it ink or something instead.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I often times found the "gore" and pain of SamSho to be much more... meaningful than MKs? Sure MK used digitized actors. But SamSho had a more relatable, interesting cast that had better voicework and personality. Being "Cartoony" shouldn't really make it easier to watch a lovable character murdered.

If anything, I want to see more contextual violence in this game. I think it gets stupider and stupider in games when you can have a father like Johnny Cage brutally murder his own daughter in MK. You remove layers from the characters personality, when you force them to play by the games rules, and not things related to themselves.

Nakoruru's bloody stab in the reveal trailer is on the right track. Her sorrowful eyes being shown, as she does what must be done to progress, makes sense. Why not go a step further, and have her wound her sister, to send her back home, rather than murder her? If you're playing a nicer character, keep the kills more artful and tact. If you're playing a bandit like Earthquake, make him clumsy and disconnected from the actions. But someone like Jubei, or a pure monster like Kusaragedo? Yeah, things could get very harsh and messy, for anyone in the cast.

Instead of just thinking of having a blood and gore on-and-off option, I'd love to see some of that integrated into the cast. Like Black-Leg Sanji's "I'll never kick a lady!" rule in One Piece, why not have characters that refuse to critically harm others, as part of their lore? Regardless of what one feels of Kenshin's creator now, the "Reverse Blade" style giving all the drama and style of bloody sword fights, while, ultimately, somehow not killing people, is a perfect thing for a game like this.

Heck, Ukyo has been acting as if he's on the verge of death for the ENTIRE SERIES. I'd kinda laugh if sometimes, he'd just... die anyway, after a hard match, even if the opponent didn't kill him. Living by the blade is a harsh lifestyle...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I often times found the "gore" and pain of SamSho to be much more... meaningful than MKs? Sure MK used digitized actors. But SamSho had a more relatable, interesting cast that had better voicework and personality. Being "Cartoony" shouldn't really make it easier to watch a lovable character murdered.

If anything, I want to see more contextual violence in this game. I think it gets stupider and stupider in games when you can have a father like Johnny Cage brutally murder his own daughter in MK. You remove layers from the characters personality, when you force them to play by the games rules, and not things related to themselves.

Nakoruru's bloody stab in the reveal trailer is on the right track. Her sorrowful eyes being shown, as she does what must be done to progress, makes sense. Why not go a step further, and have her wound her sister, to send her back home, rather than murder her? If you're playing a nicer character, keep the kills more artful and tact. If you're playing a bandit like Earthquake, make him clumsy and disconnected from the actions. But someone like Jubei, or a pure monster like Kusaragedo? Yeah, things could get very harsh and messy, for anyone in the cast.

Instead of just thinking of having a blood and gore on-and-off option, I'd love to see some of that integrated into the cast. Like Zorro's "I'll never kick a lady!" rule in One Piece, why not have characters that refuse to critically harm others, as part of their lore? Regardless of what one feels of Kenshin's creator now, the "Reverse Blade" style giving all the drama and style of bloody sword fights, while, ultimately, somehow not killing people, is a perfect thing for a game like this.

Heck, Ukyo has been acting as if he's on the verge of death for the ENTIRE SERIES. I'd kinda laugh if sometimes, he'd just... die anyway, after a hard match, even if the opponent didn't kill him. Living by the blade is a harsh lifestyle...
To be fair, SamSho has the excuse of the characters giving in to bloodlust and murdering whoever is in front of them because RAGE - and some of them are exactly in the middle of trying to deal with that (Zankuro, arguably Genjuro). Or just because the plot demanded it (Nakoruru breaking her pacifist vow, Amakusa and Mizuki posessing whoever, Yugo brainwashing people...).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Instead of just thinking of having a blood and gore on-and-off option, I'd love to see some of that integrated into the cast. Like Zorro's "I'll never kick a lady!" rule in One Piece, why not have characters that refuse to critically harm others, as part of their lore? Regardless of what one feels of Kenshin's creator now, the "Reverse Blade" style giving all the drama and style of bloody sword fights, while, ultimately, somehow not killing people, is a perfect thing for a game like this.

That's Sanji, but I understand what you're getting at all the same. Having there be more to how they go about things depending on both who they are as characters and whom they're up against would be interesting, but I suspect it'll be another case of one-size-fits-all ultraviolence.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
To be fair, SamSho has the excuse of the characters giving in to bloodlust and murdering whoever is in front of them because RAGE - and some of them are exactly in the middle of trying to deal with that (Zankuro, arguably Genjuro). Or just because the plot demanded it (Nakoruru breaking her pacifist vow, Amakusa and Mizuki posessing whoever, Yugo brainwashing people...).
Yeah, it's definitely been a bit of a thing (Amakusa and the big DIE thing replacing the power bar was always a bit creepy to me, ha), but as Korigama said below, that definitely just feels like an excuse to make everyone the same level of violent.

DBFighterz definitely has the right idea with it's varied style of stage destruction, multiple character intros and outros, and special Character VS Character Supers and dramatic finishes. I'll always be a person that feels the best "story" elements of Fighting Games, are the ones you can tell within the gameplay.

That's Sanji, but I understand what you're getting at all the same. Having there be more to how they go about things depending on both who they are as characters and whom they're up against would be interesting, but I suspect it'll be another case of one-size-fits-all ultraviolence.
I don't know why I still make that mistake, lol. Corrected!

I really hope things are better realized, but plans for whichever are surely already in motion.

KoF XIV was pretty solid about some of it's character-specific stuff (Loads and loads of voiced unique winquotes, a few different animations, a small amount of pre-battle specific animations, and the cinematics in the story mode, etc), so SNK hasn't shied away from spending the extra bits to get the vocal talent to record new work for extremely specific situations.

Hibiki's decent into darkness in Last Blade 2 will always be one of my favorite ways of seeing "fatal slashes" actually mean something to the story. Fighters miss so many little tricks that could make the characters seem more alive. Bandaging up wounds between rematches, having Rivals keep count of how many wins and loses they rack up when placed in 1 on 1 situations, acting surprised players survived certain things, etc,

They managed to get a few nice interactions into Heroines (Characters act in different personalities with different costume / voice sets), so I'm confident they'll have SOMETHING fresh here.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Problem is when the game is made with gore as a selling point the gore will be the big thing about the game's fatalities and if you remove that with a no gore option you just end up with stuff that lacks impact as the focus was the gory finisher

You are probably right. So we come back to the original option. Leave the gore. As i said before, you can't make everyone happy these days.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017

Instead of just thinking of having a blood and gore on-and-off option, I'd love to see some of that integrated into the cast. Like Black-Leg Sanji's "I'll never kick a lady!" rule in One Piece, why not have characters that refuse to critically harm others, as part of their lore? Regardless of what one feels of Kenshin's creator now, the "Reverse Blade" style giving all the drama and style of bloody sword fights, while, ultimately, somehow not killing people, is a perfect thing for a game like this.

I totaly agree with you.
Even if I love to see gore in Samurai Showdown, it would be more enjoyable if each character's unique personalities also appears of how they defeat each opponents in their own way.