• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It reminds me of conservatives attacking climate activists if they used a jet at some point.

That is a horrible analogy. Why not just agree that his field workers need to make 15$ an hour and be done with it? Instead of getting defensive because people are attacking or coming down on Bernie.

It's a small issue, the workers called out the campaign, it gets a little traction and the salary folks get a buck or two more and it's all good

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Again, if that's the story then the focus on one politician instead of the systemic injustice is odd framing

It's not just one politician, it's the one politician who leads this campaign. Bernie's not involved elsewhere on Kamala Harris campaign while this was going on, he's the one who calls the shots. I dislike the argument that issues with Bernie's campaign must only be reported as systemic, as though he and his campaign are above having their own internal problems dissected in the media.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you really think that Warren's being charged by all the policy people her team's consulting with off of her extensive rolodex?

It's not anti-labor law stuff to say that there's not an issue with someone volunteering to phone bank or give elderly people rides to the polls on election day to assist a cause they believe in! Do those people just need to donate $100 to the campaign that the campaign then pays them in order to make you happy with the accounting?

And yes, the internship issue with class lockout is a real one. But that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be able to volunteer if they want.
How much to do you think Warren's campaign manager makes?

And why don't you think there's an issue with people who help the elderly not getting paid?
I mean, I can sort of see accepting it if there is really no other option, but come on, those campaigns can pay them, they have a ton of money.
I really don't get why you'd think any of that is a desirable situation.

p.s.
How is "people should be able to volunteer if they want" is any different than "people should be able to work for free if they want"?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you for a $15+ minimum wage?
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the real issue is excessive overtime, but I guess if you're gonna work that much you should get paid accordingly.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
That is a horrible analogy. Why not just agree that his field workers need to make 15$ an hour and be done with it? Instead of getting defensive because people are attacking or coming down on Bernie.

It's a small issue, the workers called out the campaign, it gets a little traction and the salary folks get a buck or two more and it's all good
They do deserve to get paid that. I was directing my post at the people who aren't simply saying that his field organizers are right, but instead are trying to make it out as if Sanders' whole argument is fictitious.

I worded it poorly. I should've edited my post.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Workers..... Mainstream workers politician can't pay his workers a decent wage.
I am assuming you aren't?
It comes off like you aren't because you're going after the candidate that's most actively promoted and provided a $15 minimum wage.

His salaried workers haven't been fairly compensated, but between first advocating unionization and establishing a $15 minimum wage for his hourly workers, he's actively advanced the cause more than any other candidate.

He needs to address the issue of his salaried field organizers full stop, but let's not pretend like he hasn't walked this necessary walk more than anybody else.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Again, if that's the story then the focus on one politician instead of the systemic injustice is odd framing
None of the campaigns other than Bernie's campaign have contracts with their unions yet as far as I know. Warren, Castro and Swalwell are the ones that I know are unionizing. Biden, Harris, Buttigieg, Booker and O'Rourke campaign staffs haven't begun to unionize yet.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People are saying Bernie will make this right but wasn't it also an issue in his 2016 campaign?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was about sexual harassment, and Bernie was a no-show for that, as well. It took the staff personally writing a letter directly for him to notice it, and was long after '16.

The man can barely keep his fucking campaign in order. How is he supposed to be an effective president? I'd still vote for him over Trump, but then, I'd vote for a potted plant over that man...

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the unions need to up the pressure and make this known. Complain loudly enough and it'll force their hand.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Bernie Sanders is the only person allowed to cross the amazon strike picket lines because he's fighting for worker's rights and he's ALSO allowed to only pay his workers less than $13/h despite arguing for $15/h because he's fighting for worker's rights"

admittedly this thread has far more people calling this out than I expected, which pleases me

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
This is why you support candidates not because you believe them to always do the right thing, but because you believe them to be beholden to our interests and forced to do the right thing on our pushback, and not the pushback of big money corporate interests.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I always take this kind of news with a g win of salt. They're unionized aren't they? So disputes by nature will happen when workers are unsatisfied. But being as it's a campaign, it'll be sensationalized that the campaign is 'roiled' in conflict. Especially easy to get picked up by publications owned by certain individuals who might have feelings towards said campaign.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
This week, the union, in conjunction with the Sanders campaign staffers it represents, has been preparing to send Shakir a new proposal. According to a draft of the proposal obtained by The Post, they are asking for $46,800 for field organizers and $62,400 for regional field directors.
So... negotiations are ongoing, and the union hasn't sent their newest proposal after rejecting their employer's previous proposal?

ok? "roiled by conflicts" seems a little bit editorialized