Splader

Feb 12, 2018
An article about some of her answers from the recent Bloomberg interview. These aren't related to mobile or the studio closures, so figured it would benefit from its own thread. If not, please close or merge, thanks!

xboxera.com

Sarah Bond Talks About The Future of Xbox

Sarah Bond, President of Xbox, talks about the future of Xbox such as hardware, game pass, cloud, and AI utilization

Some of the questions and answers, thread has some more and mentions that she talked about AI as well.

Dina: "Another big discussion point in the ABK acquisition was cloud gaming, and how big that market really was. When will we really see it gain traction. How is it doing?"

Sarah: "…We're seeing tremendous growth there. We have more demand than supply in that area, and you'll see us rollingout more capacity, introducing more options for people to jump in and play on the cloud."

Dina: "And is it growing faster than the overall market?"

Sarah: "It is, it is growing faster than the overall market, really bringing in new players and growth for us. So it's an area where we're investing more and are excited about.

Dina: "Xbox itself's heritage is in console. The energy around the console right now is a little challenged, many of the hardcore long-term consumers are worried, worried about the release on other platforms, worried that it may indicate that Xbox is defocusing on its own hardware. What do you say to them? How do you make them feel that Xbox is still for them?"

Sarah: "Yeah, at first the worry that I see is happening across the industry and I think that a lot of what we see is just industry all up. But specific to core gamers, my focus has really been on engineering and building that next-generation hardware experience that really, really, taps into their needs. I talked about this a little bit publically a few months ago, that our focus was on delivering the biggest leap ever. And that's about really thinking through every aspect of what that hardware and what that experience delivers with the core gamer in mind. And that is about power and performance, absolutely a part of it.

"But it's also about the ability to be able to play all of the games. I mean we have people who have been playing on Xbox for decades and have invested thousands and thousands of dollars and hours with us and being able to take all of those games with them into the hardware of the future. So one of the decisions made when I came in and became president of Xbox was to establish at team dedicated to that to game preservation and ensuring that future generations, future iterations, that you get to take those things with you forward.

I did find it interesting that she doubled down on all Xbox first party releasing on game pass, even activision.

"And the last piece is about game pass. We know our core users love game pass, game pass is a gaming subscription, you get a whole portfolio of games, but importantly you get every single one of the games we build day one in game pass. and the quality and the breadth of those games has only been going up over time. And you're going to see some more really big games going into Game Pass later this year."

Dina: "From Activision's portfolio or?"

Sarah: "Across the whole slate, across the whole slate, you're going to see some really amazing things. And keeping that as something that is really special for Xbox players is central to us."

Some interesting tidbits for sure, even though a lot of it is just word salad. I didn't think cloud was still growing much, maybe it's just PR speak?

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Sarah: "It's early days, I don't have anything specific to share, but we're very encouraged by the reception of our games. One thing that I think is important to note. As Xbox we've been putting games on other platforms for a long time. Minecraft is available pretty much universally, the teams at Bethesda, ABK, have games on other platforms. It's a decision we make on a game by game basis as we move forward and continue to execute on our strategy."

Encouraged.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
yeah i'm gonna believe all that until they change their minds in 5 minutes and undo literally everything they said.

there is zero reason to trust anything an Xbox exec is saying right now because even they don't know where their business is heading.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Minecraft is available pretty much universally, the teams at Bethesda, ABK, have games on other platforms.
theses were decisions made before you bought them

you just didnt walk them back cuz itd be bad press or bad money decisions

well, except for some exceptions with bethesda

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
The strategy continues to shift and change. MS wants different things from Xbox than Xbox wants from Xbox. What's said today won't be true tomorrow. Feels a power struggle is happening & has been happening since February's multiplatform strategy became official.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
"As Xbox we've been putting games on other platforms for a long time. Minecraft is available pretty much universally, the teams at Bethesda, ABK, have games on other platforms. It's a decision we make on a game by game basis as we move forward and continue to execute on our strategy"

Xbox has been doing this thing for a long time. Here's three examples of companies that were already doing it before we bought them.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
The strategy continues to shift and change. MS wants different things from Xbox than Xbox wants from Xbox. What's said today won't be true tomorrow. Feels a power struggle is happening & has been happening since February's multiplatform strategy became official.
I wonder if there could be some managerial upheaval where MS puts in more yes-men to run Xbox with little dissent from the higher ups in the near future.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
To me, The 'across the slate' statement doesn't necessarily mean everything under their umbrella is going into GP.

I still think there's a strong case that COD will make more money as a purchase than the subs it brings in.

It just needs to be worth $70

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

i think MS proper is about lop off some of the heads over at Xbox/Bethesda/Activision. a lot of this tumult is probably the precursor to that (trying to save their jobs, maybe)

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think her doubling down on Activision games hitting Game Pass means anything at the moment. They officially said that Activision games are coming to Game Pass so she's not going to diverge from giving that answer for now. She's not going to divulge if they are debating on whether to put COD on the service Day 1.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a possibility. Microsoft is wanting their investment back that they spent with Xbox for the acquisitions and Microsoft isnt playing around, thus all the changes, closures, etc to save money and return of investment for Microsoft.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Don't even know how you can even believe anything they say. Xbox's strategy changes 3-4 times a year .

Mar 17, 2024

That's a good observation I think. Certainly feels like it. Until the internal conflict is resolved people are gonna be confused by all the mixed messaging we've been hearing for a while now.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
i think MS proper is about lop off some of the heads over at Xbox/Bethesda/Activision. a lot of this tumult is probably the precursor to that (trying to save their jobs, maybe)
Just imagining execs at MS wondering why every game in their lineup is not a Minecraft or COD on every platform printing millions of dollars a day.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Just imagining execs at MS wondering why every game in their lineup is not a Minecraft or COD on every platform printing millions of dollars a day.

"what is an Xbox? Is that an actual box? Why is it called Series? What is a Series X and a Series S? Are these also Xbox's? Are they actual boxes? Do games run on them? Do the games run on other Xboxes? I heard of Xbox One, but where is Xbox Two?"

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting tidbits for sure, even though a lot of it is just word salad. I didn't think cloud was still growing much, maybe it's just PR speak?
Not gonna lie...I nearly stopped reading at the cloud growing, more demand than supply part.

Everything will be PR bs to me until proven otherwise.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I wonder if there could be some managerial upheaval where MS puts in more yes-men to run Xbox with little dissent from the higher ups in the near future.

Wouldn't surprise me.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Spencer depart within the next 12 months. He has his share of blame in what is happening, of course.

Sounds like what's happening. Microsoft is wanting their investment back that they spent with Xbox for the acquisitions and Microsoft isnt playing around, thus all the changes, closures, etc to save money for Microsoft.
As Brad put it, MS didn't care what Xbox was doing because the impact was minimal. A $70bn investment made those MS higher-ups pay attention & they want that debt paid with interest. They want immediate results -- hence the discussions of putting COD on GP vs not putting it on GP.

That's a good observation I think. Certainly feels like it. Until the internal conflict is resolved people are gonna be confused by all the mixed messaging we've been hearing for a while now.
The internal conflict will be resolved in the direction that Satya favors -- multiplat releases.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
It feels less like a power struggle to me and more like Spencer wildly overestimated how much of a leash he'd get from Nadella in terms of time and money spent on Game Pass after spending $70 billion on a company that was driving down the road to financial ruin on its own.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
Imran NateDrake thank you always for take your time here in the forum and answer our questions!! really appreciated

I have one question, what do you think about this multiplatform pivot? it is really clear now that they really changed with this activision acquisition (in my opinion was a troyan horse for xbox), now like the articles said, they have the eyes of sauron in xbox now that microsoft spent 70b and more into xbox, do you think now, bigger games are coming? i am not talking about live service games because thats pretty obvious, or the CODs, and Minecrafts etc.. i am talking about the starfields, the gears, the Halos, or Forzas, have you heard anything? whats your take on the matter? those games will go to PS5?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The Gamepass quote is weird. It's been seven months since the ABK deal closed. Other than Diablo, how many ABK games are on Gamepass?

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
The problem with "biggest leap ever" is
Sony will have something that will basically be on par or better than what Xbox is offering…..but with the superior software if history has taught us anything.

So instead of promising raw power tell us how you're going to foster support for the remaining devs

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
"As Xbox we've been putting games on other platforms for a long time. Minecraft is available pretty much universally, the teams at Bethesda, ABK, have games on other platforms. It's a decision we make on a game by game basis as we move forward and continue to execute on our strategy"

Xbox has been doing this thing for a long time. Here's three examples of companies that were already doing it before we bought them.

Xbox:

ed2.png

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Imran NateDrake thank you always for take your time here in the forum and answer our questions!! really appreciated

I have one question, what do you think about this multiplatform pivot? it is really clear now that they really changed with this activision acquisition (in my opinion was a troyan horse for xbox), now like the articles said, they have the eyes of sauron in xbox now that microsoft spent 70b and more into xbox, do you think now, bigger games are coming? i am not talking about live service games because thats pretty obvious, or the CODs, and Minecrafts etc.. i am talking about the starfields, the gears, the Halos, or Forzas, have you heard anything? whats your take on the matter? those games will go to PS5?
More games will be going multiplatform, yes. When is the only unknown. I've heard of several but I need more backing on the information before I have high enough confidence.

Jul 2, 2021
An article about some of her answers from the recent Bloomberg interview. These aren't related to mobile or the studio closures, so figured it would benefit from its own thread. If not, please close or merge, thanks!

xboxera.com

Sarah Bond Talks About The Future of Xbox

Sarah Bond, President of Xbox, talks about the future of Xbox such as hardware, game pass, cloud, and AI utilization

Some of the questions and answers, thread has some more and mentions that she talked about AI as well.

I did find it interesting that she doubled down on all Xbox first party releasing on game pass, even activision.

That's pretty much what MS trained her to say in interviews. Just like when Aaron Greenberg told us that Hi-Fi Rush is successful and exceeded expectations.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
To me, The 'across the slate' statement doesn't necessarily mean everything under their umbrella is going into GP.

Yeah, I didn't read it that way either. It comes off more like "everything is on the table, but will we serve everything to you? Maybe! Who knows? We don't even know yet. Stay tuned as we change our mind several times before the release of the next call of duty."

Cappy

Feb 5, 2018
The internal conflict will be resolved in the direction that Satya favors -- multiplat releases.
This is what it comes down to, I'd think. There's a lot of shifting happening, but it's all moving toward this. Their biggest financial earners are the ones that are on everything that will run them. You gotta think has Nadella seen that and is asking why that isn't happening with everything.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
More games will be going multiplatform, yes. When is the only unknown. I've heard of several but I need more backing on the information before I have high enough confidence.

Do you know when the multi-plat considerations and decisions happened?

It's kind of difficult to believe they slapped together Sea of Thieves recently. And it's not like Rare would have just had PS5 dev kits just sitting around. Did that start a year ago? Longer ago?

And what do you make of Phil's leaked email from the FTC trial where in 2020 he proposed buying Sega and stated everything would stay multi-plat? Was that a bid to appease to Satya's sensibilities way back then? Have they been walking in this everything-in-as-many-places-as-possible direction for the last four years? More?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

It's kind of difficult to believe they slapped together Sea of Thieves recently. And it's not like Rare would have just had PS5 dev kits just sitting around. Did that start a year ago? Earlier than that?

And what do you make of Phil's leaked email from the FTC trial where in 2020 he proposed buying Sega and stated everything would stay multi-plat? Was that a bid to appease to Satya's sensibilities way back then? Have they been walking in this everything in as many places as possible direction for the last four years? More?
Double Eleven or whomever ported Sea of Thieves and they had the dev kits, not Rare, probably.

My assumption is they got it approved in ~ August when the deal was all but closed and they were preparing for the future of what comes next. Gives them 8 months to port the game, which is totally feasible for a UE4 title. All of the ported four games were Unreal/Unity titles so they were easiest to port.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

It's kind of difficult to believe they slapped together Sea of Thieves recently. And it's not like Rare would have just had PS5 dev kits just sitting around. Did that start a year ago? Earlier than that?

And what do you make of Phil's leaked email from the FTC trial where in 2020 he proposed buying Sega and stated everything would stay multi-plat? Was that a bid to appease to Satya's sensibilities way back then? Have they been walking in this everything in as many places as possible direction for the last four years? More?
From what I was told, SoT considerations were made final last year. Whether SoT multiplat was part of an ever evolving strategy or something of a smaller scale initiative, I don't know.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Double Eleven or whomever ported Sea of Thieves and they had the dev kits, not Rare, probably.

My assumption is they got it approved in ~ August when the deal was all but closed and they were preparing for the future of what comes next. Gives them 8 months to port the game, which is totally feasible for a UE4 title. All of the ported four games were Unreal/Unity titles so they were easiest to port.

Didn't Rare recently talk about how they set up a secret, closed off part of one of their barns for it?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Didn't Rare recently talk about how they set up a secret, closed off part of one of their barns for it?
Yes, and maybe they got some dev kits at some point, but there was also other PS5 related specifics. Cloud infrastructure work, dev portals, sdks, PS5 exclusive cosmetics artwork, etc. All things you wouldn't want someone walking by to notice and inquire about without needing a devkit.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I've noticed some folks try to retroactively give credit to Xbox for stuff that was already in the works before them and yet I never thought I'd see them outright do that themselves.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I get that she is just answering questions, but all they do is talk. Just… can't they be like Nintendo and barely say anything and let their actions speak? They are partially in this mess because they say so much and a year or two down the track it bounces back at them.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

So, my take:

Nadella's really into subscription-based cloud software. It was his opening salvo to get the CEO job, it brought Microsoft a ton of recent success, and Spencer managed to convince him of the idea of Game Pass by pointing out how well it dovetails with what Nadella likes. That way, they could sell Game Pass as a service to Samsung and TCL and Nintendo and so forth.

(It's also worth noting that Nadella absolutely loves that Spencer bet on Mojang and considers him a visionary in the gaming space because of that.)

My suspicion is that Game Pass was always supposed to be an argument for cloud gaming. They start with downloadable, make a cloud service, and then the audience (in their minds) moves entirely over to playing Like a Dragon on a phone. But adoption wasn't quick and game pass numbers — which they always say are satisfactory but they love to pick and choose by what metrics — were pretty slow as well.

Which meant that Game Pass could not satisfy the goals they had for it.

1) Make enough off subscription costs to offset traditional sales
2) Be a bridge to a cloud service that is on everything
3) Drive hardware with separate Game Pass environments

When you don't satisfy those goals, that means the entire software development strategy has to fall without that cornerstone. You can't afford to make huge games that don't benefit from people buying them to recoup development costs and you cannot take away any of the constantly marketed core tenets of game pass (easy in-out subscriptions for consumers and day one first-party releases) either. Thus, the multiplatform strategy.

In theory, I think it's actually smart. They give up an edge on hardware (where they were doing poorly anyway) in exchange for games that they can sell anywhere to different audiences. But in order to make games that sell on other systems, they have to wait years they do not have and spend money they do not want to spend to get them there. Outside of Call of Duty, I don't see that happening from every arm of XGS.

This is all a very long way of saying they're stuck between a rock and a hard place and my bet is that they load the cannon with everything they've got rather than being precious about exclusivity. This is not inside information, but yes, I suspect the Gears and the Forzas and all that will eventually get ported because they are not getting any cheaper to make and Game Pass is strangling them more than they will admit. Hell, the Coalition was making another game before Gears that they were then ordered to pivot from because Microsoft could not afford to wait that long for a new Gears game (again, that's public, not inside information).

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Yeah - over the last few months I've become a believer in the general narrative that the sheer amount of money spent on ABK shone a red hot spotlight on Xbox as a business, and now a bunch of people at the mothership are mandating cuts and decisions be made without really understanding the effect it'll have on both the brand and their creative output - because Xbox is the only part of Microsoft that actually releases creative content.

I still think it's wild that there's actually people at Xbox/Microsoft going "oh god, our subscriptions are flat! Our hardware is down!" Yeah, no shit guys. You've struggled to get anything out consistently this entire generation to date, and several of the high-profile games that DID come out either disappointed or came in on fire and with pieces missing.

Their games were always going to be the backbone of any grand plan they tried to execute, and they've mostly failed at that up to now with a few scattered exceptions. And now in 2024, when it actually looks like that train is finally on the rails to some extent - Avowed, Hellblade, Indiana Jones, MSFS2024, whatever else (final quality and polish pending, of course)... three weeks before their first big release of the year they start blowing everything up. It's bad comedy.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
I get that she is just answering questions, but all they do is talk. Just… can't they be like Nintendo and barely say anything and let their actions speak? They are partially in this mess because they say so much and a year or two down the track it bounces back at them.
I swear nobody does more interviews than Xbox lol

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
Yeah the whole mess reeks of uncertainty. It's really weird strategy to say "case by case" at this point. I understand why they were saying it during the FTC/CMA drama, but now that the dust is settled and they're a mega-publisher, it has to be… hard to succeed as a mega-publisher and build a brand/fan following if you can't even commit to releasing games on the hardware they own. It's the language of a platform owner, not a publisher, and they're going to struggle to succeed in either until they use clear language.

I mean, let's say you are trying to grow Elder Scrolls or Fallout fans on PlayStation and Nintendo. Let's even say that you release remastered version of Oblivion or FO3 on PS5. Can you still not say if you're releasing FO5 and ES6 on PS5/6? Let's say Doom 3 jumps to PS5. When can they confirm other id titles?

Likewise what if I want to consider an Xbox next gen but I'm a PS5 owner today. When do I get to know what games are going to be exclusive? Even if you tell me Elder Scrolls is, what if you're telling me to wait to see with Fallout because that's still case-by-case? Am I supposed to guess?

It's so backward to play this "hmm we dunno, we love our PS5 community! But you'll just have to wait to see on a case by case basis how far that love goes! Have you bought anything in Minecraft lately?"

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It sounds a bit like Microsoft have largely given up on the Series X and are shoring things up for next gen, but at this point I feel like a next gen Xbox console is going to be an even harder sell to all but those who make Xbox part of their identities.