Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Same as their investments into Capcom and Nexon. Terrible of course, but it isn't going to lead into them acquiring anything like they did with SNK (where they opened with a 30+% stake, already the largest shareholder even before they bought the rest).

Just saying that now before this thread inevitably derails. Or maybe it already is.
That's pretty much where I'm at. It still sucks, but at least it's just 5%.

khaled

Oct 27, 2017
A) people complain about the CCP (and influence of companies like Tencent) all the fucking time

B) Still waiting on the explanation for "good news"

Its Good news for Saudi people and arabs countries, Nintendo doesn't support the arabs countries maybe after this investment they will change

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Its Good news for Saudi people and arabs countries, Nintendo doesn't support the arabs countries maybe after this investment they will change
artworks-ZfAjLjJGDyVXNsn5-FzT6Mw-t500x500.jpg

I don't think you know how these stuff work.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is wild. SA's PIF became one shareholder out of many. Extrapolating that Nintendo is aligned with SA on policy, that this is going to result in some massive change in direction for Nintendo, or that SA is going to take over the company is sheer doomposting.

Not sure I agree with the "now your purchases are funding a murderer!" framing, either. Not really that direct a proposition. Your individual purchase is helping Nintendo be successful, sure; it is not raising the value of Nintendo stock, it is not making Nintendo profitable, it is not resulting in Nintendo increasing its dividend yield or whatever. People are talking like some percentage of every video game purchase will go to SA now, but not really how it works. This is more buying a ticket to Universal Studios than it is buying a wand at Wizarding World.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Hey now. It's only a measly 5% of Nintendos owners that are in favour of killing and dismembering journalists. That's not too bad, right?

khaled

Oct 27, 2017
Sir, step into any Tencent investment thread.

Edit: Ah nvm, you are a burner account that is aiming to derail the topic.

Actually I'm here to read games thread and news but because this effect me as a Saudi gamer this investment will benefit the Saudi people and Arabs as will

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I'm already late for the stupid "ew" posts. Live on a damn island and make your own games, produce your own oil, farm your own crops, etc, etc, etc. Not saying it's right or excuses clearly corrupt powerful people, but SOMEWHERE along the chain of crap you enjoy, you aren't gonna like the behaviour/opinion of someone. That's life, there is only so much you can boycott, and majority of you _won't_.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Actually I'm here to read games thread and news but because this effect me as a Saudi gamer this investment will benefit the Saudi people and Arabs as will

while this a possibility, this is not a certainty. Nintendo has been looking into expand into the Middle East prior to this.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't seem like many cared about SNK being all but owned (some even pushed it as a positive). Surprised people care about the 5% stake.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I wish MS had been allowed to buy them that one time now.

Why did you decide to post this nonsense twice, lol?

Either way, putting aside all the other reasons this sentiment is silly… the shortsightedness is incredible. This would only shield Nintendo from the nefariousness of an investor like SA for so long. Microsoft is not immune. (Look at all the other companies SA's PIF has invested in…)

Why are you pretending this is some sure thing? Pretty good chance Saudi gamers don't benefit from this at all.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
"We are at this moment in time undecided regarding the benefits and drawbacks of the dismemberment of the press."

this deal sucks, I don't like this anymore than you do. but the fact of the matter is that Nintendo can't control who buys the shares that they themselves put in the public market.

this is just a drawback of a publicly listed IPO

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
5%...sounds like a lot with the money SA could throw.

And this is SA...the worst actor buying your shares.

This is one area where there should be some limits. Anyone one state promoting killing journalist maybe should be banned from buying x,y,z shares or trading?

Let's hope it stays at 5%.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
this deal sucks, I don't like this anymore than you do. but the fact of the matter is that Nintendo can't control who buys the shares that they themselves put in the public market.

this is just a drawback of a publicly listed IPO

I know. Public stocks and all. It doesn't change the basic fact that a criminal state now owns a part of and has a vested interest in Nintendo.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Do you? It's a sovereign wealth fund. Lots of counties (most notably, those with lots of oil/gas like Norway) have them. They take all the money the country gets for their oil, invest it around the world, and then use the returns to fund government spending or social services. It's a separate thing from the prince's personal "charity", which is what bought SNK.

Jul 26, 2018
Such is the nature of a booming industry. We all were so happy we're living this gaming golden age, great hardware, a plethora of good games to play, tons of content to enjoy, cheaper games. But then we realized the gaming golden age also attracts all kind of business people from the less indecent to the highly indecent. Late stage capitalism meme here.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
There's a difference between a government fund and a general investment fund with a nominal HQ in whatever country. Don't be dense.
And the difference is…? One is better at hiding true ownership than the other?
I find focusing on news like that counterproductive and it always leads to silly arguments. We don't know who owns what as everything is obfuscated behind "funds". I don't even know what is there to discuss here. Boycott Nintendo? Stop Saudi from buying stock? Escape to the moon?

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Do you? It's a sovereign wealth fund. Lots of counties (most notably, those with lots of oil/gas like Norway) have them. They take all the money the country gets for their oil, invest it around the world, and then use the returns to fund government spending or social services. It's a separate thing from the prince's personal "charity", which is what bought SNK.
I'm very much aware how SWF function. None of what you said really makes my post wrong.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... what exactly happened when they bought SNK?
No, SNK was bought into by a private entity (EGDC) owned by the crown prince of SA, not a public investment fund. Also the share of stake is astronomically higher, EGDC owns 96% of SNK shares at this point versus this public investment fund purchasing 5% of Nintendo shares.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
artworks-ZfAjLjJGDyVXNsn5-FzT6Mw-t500x500.jpg

Maybe educate yourself a bit better before rushing to the chance of clowning others, otherwise it shows who is the real clown here.

As this post says:

I disagree, SNK and Toei investment gave birth to a longterm partnership with Saudi universities to offer programs for students to learn game development and animation.

There is already a precedent of this kind of things actually happening, so it's a real possibility to see direct benefits and support to the region and it's people.

Is it a certainty? no, of course not, this is Nintendo we are talking about after all, and no one should take it as a straight confirmation
but does it raise the chance of it actually happening ? yes.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

You're 100% right on this but it is also important to note that Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy and the country is ruled by the Al Saud. Ultimately, they are fully in control of Public Investment Fund. It makes it somewhat different than when a sovereign wealth fund is controlled by a democratically elected government.