• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I dont understand the defense for for the story in this franchise. Its fucked, badly delivered and one of the later ones introduced time travel (the storytellers answer to undo past mistakes). Its still a good videogame and oozes charm. We have good games with stupid ass convoluted stories all the time. Remember nanomachines?
Or anything related to Blazblue - seriously - that is the one franchise that tops KH in confusing as hell video game plots.

Blazblue's plot makes KH look comprehensible in comparison

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It came before the novel! And it wasn't great - not much of a budget, for a start - which, iirc, is why Gaiman decided to novelise it.

Oh wow. Thats kind of amazing! I had no idea Gaiman's novel was based on a tv series.

Also, I'm looking through Neverwhere quotes and theres so many that apply to KH!

For example: "Beware of Doors.". and "I'm going to go home. Everything is going to be normal again. Boring again. Wonderful again."

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think people just want that. If you want the full experience of the story you want to understand all parts of it -- what characters are doing, what their motives are, what are the implications of action, for who, what, and how. I think Kingdom Hearts 1 has a great story, but you're not going to get much out of it if you look at it as just "Stop the bad guy trying to fuse with Allegory for God." And it's hard to determine if there's more layers to the story worth exploring if you can't even parse through those layers.

Then fucking play it.

if you want the full experience, DO THE FULL FUCKING THING.

People don't want the full experience.

They want cliff notes cause they want to play the new cool thing.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, I even played KH without knowing read or write english proper. So, think a little about people who don't know English as a main language.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I wouldn't call Kingdom Heart's story difficult to understand but I also think DDD dropped a fucking nuke on the entire series and the end result is a shitshow where DDD doesn't explain what's going on well at all. I love the KH series but lets face it, Dream Drop Distance attempted to connect BBS, KH1, and KH2 together and it failed miserably. Part of that is because the game is literally 95% filler and it tried to squeeze so much damn information in the last hour it made the players' head explode. The end result of DDD was a game that did a piss poor job at setting up KH3 and I say that as someone who once I understood what the basic setup for KH3 was I actually liked it.

Frankly if you just ignore DDD, BBS,KH1, CoM KH2 and Days tell a fairly good and easily understood story. I mean the hardest concept to grasp in these games is that

Ansem is Xehanort's heartless, and Xemnas is his nobody.

Frankly my biggest complaint with DDD is that it's effectively made the events of KH2 pointless, and even fucking Square knows this. If you go watch the KH3 recap videos they barely spend any time on KH2. 358/2 days and fucking Chain of Memories are more relevant to the plot now than KH2.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
The overall story is generally pretty linear, but it likes to lore dump a lot all at once, all the time. Most of this lore doesn't matter all too much, but there's a lot of characters and it can become overwhelming.

Otherwise, yeah, not very confusing.

Oct 25, 2017
If I had a more targeted criticism of the story in Kingdom Hearts, beyond just my general "the games have a lot of things going on in general so it can make the plot difficult to absorb," it would be that too much exposition is delivered through antagonists. It feels like DDD is almost all that sometimes. Even if I can feel like I can trust them, they inject too much of their ego and motives into the explanation to firmly grasp everything, and there's less room for Sora/the protagonist to ask questions. I felt like every scene of DDD in that Org XIII council room was just me going "wait, can you reword that?" Pretty sure Xehanort and Venitas were also like this in BBS.

Then fucking play it.

if you want the full experience, DO THE FULL FUCKING THING.

People don't want the full experience.

They want cliff notes cause they want to play the new cool thing.
But like I've said, I think playing the games are bad at communicating their own plots. So if they want the plot, they can watch a YT video. But that's not very entertaining, because people want the most out of the stories, so you play the game. So it's a catch-22.

Oct 26, 2017
"KH is extremely confusing and that's why it has a bad story" is just short-hand for how much people dislike the series' story but put in a form of criticism that seems more objective. There are many more issues with the story than the confusion.

-Sora is an extremely unlikable character in KH2.

-KH thinks it's very deep but has nothing whatsoever to say. KH has the same major flaw of Star Wars in never defining what "Light" and "Darkness" actually are, but KH basically is navel gazing most of the time. There is no insight or even coherence in the series' rambling about Light and Darkness and the series seems to have no idea what it would even define as Light or Darkness or what that would mean but it keeps talking about those things incessantly.

-The Disney story sequences are robbed of joy in KH2 and are just horrible because Sora is often just along for the ride with his story and the Disney characters story having nothing to do with each other. Square puts together a very low production value (with poor dialog and really bad directing) version of a Disney movie and then shoves together a story about Sora chasing the Heartless. Sora leaves most of the Disney worlds having gained no knowledge or insight about life and is the same going out as he is coming in. Meanwhile, Sora has no impact on the Disney story, making the plot boring because we know what's going to happen and making you feel like the random hanger on in the Disney story that you are.

-There are way way way way too many cutscenes.

-All the clones do legitimately get confusing to keep track of at times (I was baffled when Replica/Data Riku showed up, wondering why Riku got young again in the trailer) but they're also just lame and boring. A villain that is just Sora or Xehanort but a clone is incredibly uninteresting at this point.

-The forward momentum in the plot often doesn't occur within Disney stories, making plot progression feel extremely slow and making the Disney worlds feel like filler when they should be most of the point.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
But like I've said, I think playing the games are bad at communicating their own plots. So if they want the plot, they can watch a YT video. But that's not very entertaining, because people want the most out of the stories, so you play the game. So it's a catch-22.

Yeah, and your argument hinged on folks being too caught up in shit like spacial awareness and platforming. i don't take that even kinda seriously.

Nothing in those games outside of DDD is hard to follow, cause the shit is simple.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's poorly told, full of anime tropes, and unnecessarily complicated, but it isn't hard to follow if you pay attention.
I'm baffled that people could get confused by it, unless they've missed games out.

ackl

Oct 25, 2017
I only find the character relations confusing and so does Sora (lol). The lore can get somewhat confusing too but they don't really matter. Otherwise, you can get a good idea on what's going on with the plot when you actually play the game.

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
OP no one wants to do homework to understand a plot that doesn't make any sense even when you understand it.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Like there's actual problems with the story, but the reasons people latch onto are just so shallow and, not really issues.

KH isn't convoluted or confusing. Kingdom Hearts is Bloated. It adds a lot that doesn't actually change anything.

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played KH 3D yet, but my main desire for KH3 is that the Disney stories actually are impacted by Sora.

Like, have the same basic outline of what will happen and hit the scenes people want to see in a video game, but like... have some differences so people can be surprised by what is happening and have the plot progress during the worlds.

KH2 retold the stories line by line almost except with each world having 1/100 of the budget of these films and with Sora standing in the background randomly.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
It honestly doesn't even matter in the end if you understand everything. The games are mainly from Sora's POV so stuff like BBS isn't a big deal is you missed a plot point becasue someone has to explain it to Sora in KH3.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played KH 3D yet, but my main desire for KH3 is that the Disney stories actually are impacted by Sora.

Like, have the same basic outline of what will happen and hit the scenes people want to see in a video game, but like... have some differences so people can be surprised by what is happening and have the plot progress during the worlds.

KH2 retold the stories line by line almost except with each world having 1/100 of the budget of these films and with Sora standing in the background randomly.

In KH3 4 of the Disney Worlds are original stories and not movie retellings so it should be a lot more interesting. For the ones that are more like adaptations it seems like it'll be slightly different since the villains have more of an active role.

Oct 25, 2017
Like there's actual problems with the story, but the reasons people latch onto are just so shallow and, not really issues.

KH isn't convoluted or confusing. Kingdom Hearts is Bloated. It adds a lot that doesn't actually change anything.
To be clearer, the arguments I've made in this thread aren't like my main problems with the story. It's just the best way I've come up with to reconcile how so many people can talk about the games' stories like they're super easy to get while others think they're more complicated than physics. Not everyone is equipped to absorb the two halves of the games at once.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
I find Kingdom Hearts the Naruto of videogames: sometimes it messes previous things up, sometimes it fucks with your brain, but deep down it's a tale of friendship that anyone who has had a real friend can genuinely enjoy. It is also anime-like, so the comparison is good in that sense too.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I understand it, mostly, cause I've played through the collections but it is ridiculous. I can't think of any other video game series that has as many games that are important to understanding plot points. What's even worse they are all RPGs, not short games, with the exception being the gacha crap that has a story that moves slower than a snail's pace which the film apparently doesn't cover all of.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
It's just bad. Baffling when Disney modern animated movies are amazing simple to a child and also has depth to adults. Kingdom Hearts have neither.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it was that difficult to follow until DDD.

Once you get past the "Ansem is actually this dude named Xehanort" confusion, I think the series does a good job of answering the questions of the plot until they randomly threw it all out the window for time travel.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I agree the most with two points said so far. Kingdom Hearts is very very bloated, there's so many games now, and they're long meaty games that add tons more characters and new types of enemies with each one.

The other is that the incessant jargon of KH is vague, they don't actually concretely define what light/darkness/hearts, etc actually is and the character use those worse in all kinds of different contexts so you get insane sounding sentences delivered by mostly villain characters who like to monologue in saturday cartoon Shakespeare villain style.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
Xehanort: I need to gather the seven Princesses of Light to unlock the Door to Kingdom Hearts!

Also Xehanort: I need to gather a heart of Light and Darkness to forge the Keyblade to unlock the door to Kingdom Hearts!

Also Also Xehanort: I need to make myself a Heartless so I can travel in time and collect 13 versions of me, then gather the seven other Princesses of Light, so I can forge the Keyblade again and unlock the door to Kingdom Hearts!

Thank fuck KH3 is the end of his "saga" or KH5 would probably involve him becoming a sentient, real world AI that manipulates Elon Musk into unearthing ancient Martian ruins so he can use their technology to clone the entire cast of Duck Tales, turn them into evil zombies, then use them to instigate World War 3 all so he can harvest its victims to form a magical keychain that's the first piece of the real keyblade that will totally actually unlock Kingdom Hearts this time, promise.
How do you know that 3 is the end of the saga?

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's been advertised as such for years.

Which may be true, but it in no way means that there wont be 50 spinoffs dealing with who knows what that raise more questions.

IIRC Nomura said it's the ending of the Xeharnot saga.

I'd love if the game ends with the Master of Masters coming back and just saying Xeharnot was nothing compared to him and the story continues lol.

I honestly would not be surpised at all if Xehanort turned out to be some mid level flunkie. Lol.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Haha no my friend, you must be a digital sora or something, I have no idea what's going on even in the second game alone.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Its one of the worse series I think of in terms of making thngs needlessly obtuse. Why do Vanitas/Sora look identical? I'm not asking the in universe reason, I understand that. I'm asking in what way does that in benefit the story? It doesn't and just serves to making things harder to follow.

There's so much completely abritatry fluff like this that drags the story down.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's the guy who's not Ansem!"

And Kingdom Hearts was ruined forever.
tumblr_mhtxrgfTMB1qbc2ylo3_500.gif

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
insert stupid meme here
Great job taking part of a sentence out of context to try and what say that I'm wrong? Can't include the whole rest of that sentence which you conveniently left out? Great job ignoring the entire rest of my post too. Can't even argue against anything I'm saying just post a meme and let that do your work for you huh?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I keep saying this: the KH story is not confusing, it's just dumb.

People confuse a story being poorly thought with it not making sense, but KH's story makes perfect sense within the context of KH, it's just dumb, very very dumb.

Mind you it's part of the charm and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom hearts is a series that if you go in order of release, everything makes perfect sense by playing.

Until DDD.

Only for the people who have not been following. A majority of the fanbase right now in KH circles love the original content and all the weird wacky story twists and turns. Its not a weakpoint to those invested

I've played every game and I don't really get the full story. Do I need to spend hours on the internet in forums talking to people to get it? No, it should be obvious from the medium itself.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
At the start of KH1 it is significant because at that point in time he is the only known keyblade wielder as most of the wielders of the keyblade perished in the Keyblade Wars. Birth by sleep is a prequel so even though there are a lot of keyblades in that game its before KH1 and by the end of that game all of the wielders of the keyblade in that game aren't around anymore in various ways.

So the only one that can help Org XIII hearvest hearts for him from the heartless is Sora.
Okay I guess that all makes sense. I just remember in kh1 Leon referring to it as THE keyblade, thus implying there's only one and or his is special. But I guess the answer could simply be that nomura retconned that whole idea

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I've played every game and I don't really get the full story. Do I need to spend hours on the internet in forums talking to people to get it? No, it should be obvious from the medium itself.

I mean, it is, that's what i just said lol. You dont have to be explained anything unless you were not paying attention.

You can claim to not like the story, you can claim that the plot decisions in it are stupid or ridiculous...those criticisms are fair and subjective. However, saying that the story is "hard to understand" strikes me as very strange. Its not hard to get what's going on as the explanations are clearly doled out very liberally.

Last edited: