• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
This reminds me of a line from that Greg Zeschuk interview...

"The best analogy I use, in a positive way, is EA gives you enough rope to hang yourself. It was really interesting because we really made all the choices we wanted to make ourselves; these are all things we wanted to try ... That was the biggest revelation, that rope that EA gives you; they don't second-guess you, they don't say you shouldn't do that. We had complete creative control over a lot of it; some fans didn't like some of it and some of it was experimental, quite frankly."

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I love Titanfall 2. Had it come out in March of the following year, I think it would have had the legs it truly deserved. Bummer.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Makes me wonder if EA put BF1 on that date (I can't remember who was first to announce a date) in order to "force" them to change the dates.
EDIT: BF1 was first to reveal their release date. Respawn got balls, I'll give them that. They probably thought BF1 wasn't going to be too popular due to WW1 and Infinite Warfare was going to be bad because everyone was sick of "boots off the ground" and that initial trailer was bombed with dislikes.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that Respawn wanted that late October/early November slot to go up against Call of Duty.

Battlefield 1, on the other hand, wasn't supposed to come out in the same month. I believe it was originally planned for earlier but had to be delayed, and by then it was too late for Titanall to move.

I mean regardless of the BF1 situation which was unfortunate. Why would you intentionally go out of your way to try and force competition slot with an established competitor. Even if it was your former baby. It just reeks of hubris and a tinge of unsettled grudges.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they chose poorly then....

tenor.gif
I came in here expecting this EXACT gif

Mar 23, 2018
They thought that "From the creators of Call of Duty" would give them more sales plus good quality, probably.

Respawn are the guys that made COD4 and MW2?! WTF that makes... a lot of sense because TF feels pretty similar but I didn't realize that! Cool to know.

Back to the subject, well... interesting timing, indeed. I just hope it's fun but I read there's no wall running, which is what makes TF so fun to me. That Attack on Titan feeling hahaha.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I mean regardless of the BF1 situation which was unfortunate. Why would you intentionally go out of your way to try and force competition slot with an established competitor in that slot. Even if it was your former baby. It just reeks of hubris and a tinge of unsettled grudges.

I'm willing to bet at least the leads felt like they had something to prove.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In industry circles this has been one of the worst kept secrets in last few years and I'm surprised it's only recently become more widely known.

Hell, I think I was telling people about this story back on Gaf, let alone multiple posts on Era.

So BF was the last date to be locked-in and EA decided to Titanfall would be the game to be sandwiched rather than COD.

From what I understand Battlefield was originally slated for early-to-mid September to give it some buffer between Titanfall and COD. Respawn's whole deal was wanting to go head-to-head with not only their old franchise but what they perceived to be the zombie corpse of their old studio. Honestly a bit of a crazy plan to begin with but they thought they had a lot of momentum coming off Titanfall 1, and they knew from test scores they had an excellent game in Titanfall 2. What Respawn didn't anticipate was DICE slipping their date and causing them to get absolutely sandwiched between Battlefield and COD.

That one moment of hubris essentially forced the sale of the company to EA.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Well hopefully they learned there leason

Titanfall 2 is incredible, but it realeased next to two massive franchises.

Also pretty dumb off ea not to move it for them, but i guess since they didnt own them they couldnt at that point

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
In industry circles this has been one of the worst kept secrets in last few years and I'm surprised it's only recently become more widely known.

Hell, I think I was telling people about this story back on Gaf, let alone multiple posts on Era.

From what I understand Battlefield was originally slated for early-to-mid September to give it some buffer between Titanfall and COD. Respawn's whole deal was wanting to go head-to-head with not only their old franchise but what they perceived to be the zombie corpse of their old studio. Honestly a bit of a crazy plan to begin with but they thought they had a lot of momentum coming off Titanfall 1, and they knew from test scores they had an excellent game in Titanfall 2. What Respawn didn't anticipate was DICE slipping their date and causing them to get absolutely sandwiched between Battlefield and COD.

Imagine the meeting West and Zampella had when they realized how much they fucked themselves.

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017

But since the BF1 release date was the most fluid, couldn't EA have put it the week after COD?
I guess they ran the numbers and determined that doing it the way they did would be the best option for EA in the long run.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But since the BF1 release date was the most fluid, couldn't EA have put it the week after COD?
I guess they ran the numbers and determined that doing it the way they did would be the best option for EA in the long run.

I mean, anything's possible. EA had a lot more incentive to try and protect BF's numbers (a flagship franchise game from a studio they owned) than Titanfall 2's (second iteration of a relatively new franchise from a studio they did not own), though.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but I still don't believe this whatsoever. It was all EA. Respawn is owned by EA so obviously, they will protect their publisher and life line but in no way, shape or form do I believe that anyone at Respawn would be stupid enough to release Titanfall 2 between Battlefield 1 and COD: IW. Just no freaking way.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but I still don't believe this whatsoever. It was all EA. Respawn is owned by EA so obviously, they will protect their publisher and life line but in no way, shape or form do I believe that anyone at Respawn would be stupid enough to release Titanfall 2 between Battlefield 1 and COD: IW. Just no freaking way.
EA didn't own Respawn at the time the release date decisions were made.

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

TF2 launched almost 1 year before Respawn sold the studio to EA, so yes, you better believe it.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
TF2 fans have always known this. It was common knowledge at release that Respawn helped choose the date, as insane as that choice was.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
EA did not own Respawn at the time that this happened. Also only EA can be stupid in this situation but not Respawn for some nebulous reason? How does that make sense? EA sucks but you don't need to lay blame at their feet for something that it seems they didn't do.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was on the Titanfall subreddit for a lot of 2017 cause I was hooked onto TF2. This isn't really a new revelation, is it? I thought it was widely known that Respawn chose the release date.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
I mean, the game sold fine compared to almost any other game and EA still kinda left it die afterwards. They don't escape blameless.

Also, probably shouldve vetoed that launch date decision lol. Seems they dont have a grasp on the value of their own properties.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was on the Titanfall subreddit for a lot of 2017 cause I was hooked onto TF2. This isn't really a new revelation, is it? I thought it was widely known that Respawn chose the release date.
Something something EA is the literal devil something something devs never screw themselves and publishers are to blame something.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA didn't own Respawn at the time but they did have one year to make a bid on them and I don't believe in coincidences so releasing TF2 between two other major high selling FPS lowered the stock of Respawn and made them look "weak". A year later, EA owns them? Yeah right. Simply don't believe that shit at all.

Look at all of the shit EA has done. Come on. EA published the game and even if by some miracle, that was true, why the hell would EA allow it to be released when it was? Made no business sense then. Makes no business sense now unless of course, you're EA and want to buy Respawn which they did a year later for less money than what they worth a year earlier.

Simply don't believe it and never ever will.

Oct 25, 2017
Respawn needed the game to launch when it did in order to secure and attract outside investors for other projects. Unfortunately, they over estimated the brand power of Titanfall and when the game launched, didn't hit the metrics they expected which cost them some publishing deals. Ultimately, this let EA buy them for a VERY low price.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the game sold fine compared to almost any other game and EA still kinda left it die afterwards. They don't escape blameless.

Also, probably shouldve vetoed that launch date decision lol. Seems they dont have a grasp on the value of their own properties.

I don't believe the game sold fine at all. Even at launch certain modes were difficult to find matches in.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
EA didn't own Respawn at the time but they did have one year to make a bid on them and I don't believe in coincidences so releasing TF2 between two other major high selling FPS lowered the stock of Respawn and made them look "weak". A year later, EA owns them? Yeah right. Simply don't believe that shit at all.

Look at all of the shit EA has done. Come on. EA published the game and even if by some miracle, that was true, why the hell would EA allow it to be released when it was? Made no business sense then. Makes no business sense now unless of course, you're EA and want to buy Respawn which they did a year later for less money than what they worth a year earlier.

So literally believing your own conspiracy theories then? Cool at least you admit it.

Beardanidas

Oct 28, 2017

I had no idea you had a copy of their publishing agreement, you have no fucking proof that EA had ANY say in it. Stop with the EA circlejerk, it gets old really fast. You would rather believe your bad opinion rather than one of the most respected video game journalists out there? Even higherups at Respawn have confirmed it was theirs and their choice alone. Not everything is the publishers fault...

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But we dont know the order those dates were chosen?
Maybe Respawn picked their date first and EA picked BF date later.
Then both are true, Respawn picked their release but also that EA killed it with putting BF close to it later.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
But we dont know the order those dates were chosen?
Maybe Respawn picked their date first and EA picked BF date later.
Then both are true, Respawn picked their release but also that EA killed it with putting BF close to it later.

This is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Otherwise the level of hubris by leadership is staggering.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not convinced moving the release would've helped a whole lot. i mean personally yeah i'd have moved it to early 2017 but holidays are your release valve, people spend the big bucks even if they're busy with CoD and Battlefield, and it's not like everybody will put those down a few months later

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

You don't believe it because you don't want to believe it and it doesn't fit your narrative. What reason would Schier or his source at Respawn have to lie about something that was taking heat off of them regarding TF2s performance? But whatever. Plug your ears and put your head in the sand.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell. I had no idea!
Geoff Keighley's Final Hours of Titanfall didn't paint a pretty picture of his departure. Years since I read it, but from what I remember he was constantly changing his mind about things, holding back progress, and generally detached from the project, so he was kind of forced into retirement. Again IIRC, most of what was shown at E3 2013 was all done after he left, even.

Last edited:

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
People forget but MW2 wasn't just a game releasing, it was an event and nothing has ever come close to the amount of hype leading up to release. I can only imagine they thought that they could pull a call of duty and kill it just like they killed MoH back in the day. Problem is that CoD became bigger due to Treyarch becoming better than Infinity Ward so even on a year where everyone was shitting on CoD it still blew out the competition. Doesn't help that Titanfall 1 completely soured everyone and that was absolutely EAs fault if we go by Geoff Keighley Documentary on the games development.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Respawn needed the game to launch when it did in order to secure and attract outside investors for other projects. Unfortunately, they over estimated the brand power of Titanfall and when the game launched, didn't hit the metrics they expected which cost them some publishing deals. Ultimately, this let EA buy them for a VERY low price.
I don't know if I would call $455m for Respawn a "VERY low price."

Bioware + Pandemic was $775m.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that Respawn wanted that late October/early November slot to go up against Call of Duty.

Battlefield 1, on the other hand, wasn't supposed to come out in the same month. I believe it was originally planned for earlier but had to be delayed, and by then it was too late for Titanall to move.
If someone could put this in OP that'd be useful.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

The gamers have spoken, Jason

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Era: EA is forcing Bioware to release Anthem when its not ready.
Real life: Bioware has been working on the game since 2012 and had a 5 year pre production due to their inability to work with Frostbite and unforseen events (Lead passing away)

Era: EA is sending TitanFall 2 to die
Real Life: Respawn believed they had the best title and ego took over

Its as if EA's relationships with their studios isn't just black and white.