• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dong Song is a research associate professor of biomedical engineering at USC, and he recently presented his findings on a "memory prosthesis" during a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience in Washington D.C. According to a New Scientist report, the device is the first to effectively improve the human memory.

Once implanted in the volunteers, Song's device could collect data on their brain activity during tests designed to stimulate either short-term memory or working memory. The researchers then determined the pattern associated with optimal memory performance and used the device's electrodes to stimulate the brain following that pattern during later tests.

Based on their research, such stimulation improved short-term memory by roughly 15 percent and working memory by about 25 percent. When the researchers stimulated the brain randomly, performance worsened.

As Song told New Scientist, "We are writing the neural code to enhance memory function. This has never been done before."

More at: https://futurism.com/first-time-scientists-boosted-human-memory-brain-implant/

Run MemTest if old

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
So(o)ng? Augments? Ohh boy... but this sounds interesting. Though I wonder what possible long term effects it could have if it is doing something like that.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Sucks for the people that get the first round of brain implants when they come out with the S2 in a year that has more storage and music playback.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing, but let's not lose sight of the real story here.

This person's name is DONG SONG.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
that is essentially overclocking the brain no? not really an implant that offloads data. Who knows what overclocking your brain will do long term?

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
This is the start of human DLC. Microtransactions might also happen, but I'm waiting for inevitable lootbox feature.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Deus Ex told me brain implants are bad. I'd do pretty much every other type of augmentation but I'm not sure about brain stuff

Nov 2, 2017
Alright, we're getting closer to this

johnny-main.jpg

2021 is going to be interesting.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Ha ha, get it? You're racist

A white guy with the name Dick Cox is still hilarious. It doesn't have to be racism.

Edit* I do, in fact know someone named Richard Cox. Also knew a Richard Long...people's parents have got to do this on purpose.

Making fun of asian peoples names is some standard casual racism, yeah. Its not quite as bad as using slurs, but its demeaning to the person. Especially when it has nothing to do with this article or this researchers work. Believe it or not, Dong is a common normal asian name. It gets really annoying for ignorant people to make jokes like that all the fucking time.

Someone can laugh at a name without going..."LOL...Asians".

I also enjoy Ha Ha Clinton-Dix name.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Making fun of asian peoples names is some standard casual racism, yeah. Its not quite as bad as using slurs, but its demeaning to the person. Especially when it has nothing to do with this article or this researchers work. Believe it or not, Dong is a common normal asian name. It gets really annoying for ignorant people to make jokes like that all the fucking time.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As someone posted above, nothing to do with Asian name or whatever, if the name is funny it is funny.

Like Dick.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to say to you outside of "just think of a dick singing you a song." It's funny, and has nothing to do with his ethnicity. JFC.

Anyway, this genuinely is super cool and I'm glad this sort of research is being done.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A white guy with the name Dick Cox is still hilarious. It doesn't have to be racism.

Edit* I do, in fact know someone named Richard Cox. Also knew a Richard Long...people's parents have got to do this on purpose.

Someone can laugh at a name without going..."LOL...Asians".
Yeah, well...Arcia calling Dartastic racist was a bit much, but the history of making fun of people's names is a bit different for Asians than for white people.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
But yeah like in that cosmetic enhancements thread, brain implants? it's like some syndicate wars shit. Hard pass. I'll take the flying cars. But stay out of my brain.

I could never trust some kind of tech inside my brain. No way man. Sign me up for maybe the 20th iteration of the tech, and provided me with many many instances where people aren't getting hacked. etc. no way.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
So.... How long until this goes horribly wrong, and we have a madman destroying southern California with unstoppable psychic powers and telekinesis?

And on a totally unrelated note, where would one sign up to be a test subject?