• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

Constitutional relations secretary Michael Russell is to update MSPs at Holyrood, possibly as early as this week, as the SNP Government prepares to push forward with legislation for another vote on leaving the UK.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon is to seek a section 30 order, which would give Holyrood the legal authority to stage a second referendum. (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)
It lays down a marker to prospective candidates for the Tory leadership that Scotland will be at the top of their inbox.

READ MORE: Kenny MacAskill: What will SNP EU election win do for Scottish independence?

It's fair to say the thought of Prime Minister Johnson doesn't jive all that well with Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I was really happy with Scotland voting to stay in the Union at the previous referendum but at this point I think they should get out while they can and the EU are sympathetic to their situation.

Nov 8, 2017
I was really happy with Scotland voting to stay in the Union at the previous referendum but at this point I think they should get out while they can and the EU are sympathetic to their situation.

Yeah I was previously not in favour of independence because I want more unity in Europe, not less, but as soon as Brexit happened, fuck it, I would rather Scotland be part of the EU than the UK. It's just a shame that certain other countries *cough Spain cough* would be unlikely to allow that to happen.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was previously not in favour of independence because I want more unity in Europe, not less, but as soon as Brexit happened, fuck it, I would rather Scotland be part of the EU than the UK. It's just a shame that certain other countries *cough Spain cough* would be unlikely to allow that to happen.

Ditto.
I voted no before, I'd vote yes now.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Time has shown that staying in the union was the wrong decision last time. Hopefully we make the right decision next time.

KhadD

Oct 29, 2017
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Spain would have no objection to Scotland rejoining the European Union as an independent nation, as long as the secession process from the United Kingdom was legally binding, Spanish foreign minister Josep Borrell said on Tuesday.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

Strange that Spain wouldn't allow something that would screw the UK considering the historic relations between the two isn't great.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There better be English support this time. If you fuckers still keep rattling on about World War 2 and Rule Britannia we're going to invade.

Support the destruction of the Union, then you can come to live up in the North like Jon Snow. You'll be welcome as an honorary Scot. We don't hate foreigners as much as the Brexiteers.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
There better be English support this time. If you fuckers still keep rattling on about World War 2 and Rule Britannia we're going to invade.

Support the destruction of the Union, then you can come to live up in the North like Jon Snow. You'll be welcome as an honorary Scot.
It's kinda funny to see our independence movement be the opposite of so many other similar movements in the world.
We want to leave our current union so we can let in more immigrants and get closer to other countries.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I wonder what the immigration policies would be in a newly-independent Scotland; I can imagine there would be many Remainers, disabled folk, minorities, LGBT, etc who would want to be in a county that is both in Europe and free of the Evil Tories/Useless Labour dichotomy. I'd move up there if I had the chance.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Really wouldn't blame Scotland for leaving at this point, but it would be a shame to dismantle the UK. What a shitshow.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most significant factors in them remaining as part of the UK in the last vote, was that they would remain part of the EU and we would all be stronger for it. So in light of Scotland leaning heavily remain and being forced to leave — I can't fault anyone in Scotland who change their mind and wants to now vote for independence.

Also the prospect of Johnson being rewarded for all of this mess and getting the top job is abysmal and disgusting... all of this stopped making sense a long time ago so nothing would be surprising at this point.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny to see our independence movement be the opposite of so many other similar movements in the world.
We want to leave our current union so we can let in more immigrants and get closer to other countries.

The greatest irony when people hear "Scottish National Party" and immediately freak the fuck out.

Civic nationalism or benign nationalism can be a thing, even if large parts of the world are more concerned about identity/identitarian nationalism.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most significant factors in them remaining as part of the UK in the last vote, was that they would remain part of the EU and we would all be stronger for it. So in light of Scotland leaning heavily remain and being forced to leave — I can't fault anyone in Scotland who change their mind and wants to now vote for independence.
Yep. The arguments of "You'll be kicked out the EU" and "You'll need a new currency" aren't as strong when we're being dragged out the EU anyway and the pound is collapsing.

The greatest irony when people hear "Scottish National Party" and immediately freak the fuck out.

Civic nationalism or benign nationalism can be a thing, even if large parts of the world are more concerned about identity/identitarian nationalism.
Tbf, SNP very much were that kind of national party at some point. I'm sure if the party were formed today it wouldn't have went with the SNP name for that very reason.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I wonder what the immigration policies would be in a newly-independent Scotland; I can imagine there would be many Remainers, disabled folk, minorities, LGBT, etc who would want to be in a county that is both in Europe and free of the Tory/Labour dichotomy. I'd move up there if I had the chance...
We need more working age people and want to be in the EU. So as is for e.u and probably slightly more open door the rest of the world.

We need more working age people whatever happens regarding the UK tbh

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm English and my best friend moved up to Edinburgh about 10 years ago and loves it, I enjoy visiting him there and could imagine living there. Though I guess Edinburgh is a little different to the rest of the country.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
As my wife is scottish and wants scotland to stay in the EU but couldn't give a fuck about the UK anymore i hope they succeed this time.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm English and my best friend moved up to Edinburgh about 10 years ago and loves it, I enjoy visiting him there and could imagine living there. Though I guess Edinburgh is a little different to the rest of the country.

Edinburgh is almost a mini-London. If you want culture, you go out in Glasgow.

But that being said, I can handle the Edinburgh snobbery more than I can handle the gammons.

Plum

May 31, 2018
We need more working age people and want to be in the EU. So as is for e.u and probably slightly more open door the rest of the world.

We need more working age people whatever happens regarding the UK.

Hopefully I should have some good working experience under my belt when/if Scotland becomes independent. My main worry is that my skillset might not be in demand, but who knows.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I was born in Scotland but I've lived in the north of England most of my life. When the first referendum occurred I didn't particularly agree with it. But this time, I can totally see the arguments for becoming an independent country and sympathize entirely. What a mess.

Already the stain of leaving the EU will mar the legacies of the politicians and generations associated with it. But imagine also being potentially associated with the historical breaking up of the United Kingdom. It goes from a disaster to an absolute travesty. All those anti-EU Tories are going to bend over backwards to not let this happen, so even if the referendum came up as independent, I wonder what would even happen?

Also if you guys leave, can I come back? <3

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only advertisement needed for #indyref2

Would be amazing if a fellow Scot and one from Edinburgh no less be the clown shoes that sealed the Union breaking up.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how the Tories run the home office, you'd probably get deported.

N6U4Iot.gif

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
If Scotland later wanna be counted among us Nordic countries, I wholeheartedly then support the motion.

Already got the cross thing going on the flag, just need to tilt it another 45 degrees and we're golden.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
z0RUBiJ.png

qQVBk6l.png

Defending Boris Johnson to get back at Michael Gove.

How soon can we get off this train? The train that Farage is now steering.

Can't wait for tonight's EuroElection results...

Oct 27, 2017
London
I hope you guys make the right decision next time. I'd move up North and become a Scottish citizen in a heartbeat if Scotland left the UK. PM Boris will be like "lol no, fuck off, no independence vote for you" though.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Can Northern Ireland also jump ship?

I really want a new Gaelic confederation within the EU made up of Scotland, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the UK they probably won't make great reading. No matter what the various parties add to to it will be reported as a landslide backing of Brexit.

Because it's going to be. The Brexit Party will win the highest share of the votes and Labour will be decimated by the Lib Dems.

The only thing I hold out for is a reasonable result in Scotland, but I'm even worried here. There are remain Unionist voters in Scotland more worried about indyref2 than Brexit. Can expect them to abandon Labour or SNP (yes, people up here vote SNP when they think the threat of indyref is gone) and quietly vote TBP in the booth.

These EuroElections are basically the Brexit vote round 2. And we can expect some of our remain allies to have stayed at home and have been playing Fortnite, watching Game of Thrones or making beans and toast instead of voting. The gammons will have been out in full level 99 Limit Break force.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
z0RUBiJ.png

qQVBk6l.png

Defending Boris Johnson to get back at Michael Gove.

How soon can we get off this train? The train that Farage is now steering.

Can't wait for tonight's EuroElection results...

Yeah, that's a good point. Escaping the UK doesn't just mean escaping Brexit, it means escaping the potential fascism and similar politics that will occur when/if Farage gains more political power (whether literal or not)

Wales shouldn't be on the left side of that last panel. They overwhelmingly voted for Brexit and their (rather pitiful) Independence movement is based primarily in the same kind of xenophobia and shittiness that caused Brexit itself. If it weren't for the language and a vague sense of 'the English aren't us!' they'd essentially be the Robin to England's Batman.

Cardiff's good, though.