• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
ICE is the KKK with a government badge.

This was on the ballet. Fuck the racist pieces of shit that voted for Trump.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Mark Joseph Stern @mjs_DC

Background on this case: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/10/nielsen-preap-aclu-neil-gorsuch-briefs.html …

During oral arguments, it really seemed like Gorsuch, and maybe even Kavanaugh, would side against the Trump administration. They didn't. 5–4 vote. Really bad day for immigration rights.

Breyer wrote the dissent, and he's reading it from the bench, which demonstrates just how upset he is. Last term he warned us that SCOTUS' conservatives want to strip immigrants of their constitutional rights: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/justice-alito-just-signaled-the-supreme-courts-conservatives-might-not-consider-immigrants-to-be-people.html …

Breyer writes that he fears the court's decision "will work serious harm to the principles for which American law has long stood." Calls it a violation of "basic American legal values."

Yeah. He's mad. pic.twitter.com/xjZfc0zISr

10:20 AM - Mar 19, 2019

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Twitter hot take/thread title is accurate (seems to be related to a class of immigrants who have committed dangerous crimes/terrorists) but not a good decision obviously to deny anyone a bail hearing.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Hey everyone who didn't vote. Thanks a lot for enabling Trump to get elected and fucking things up for decades just because Hillary wasn't your perfect candidate.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's insane. Think of the abuse, you're basically disappearing people and have this held over their heads, think what they do with that threat.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I don't think the Twitter hot take is entirely accurate (seems to be related to a class of immigrants who have committed dangerous crimes/terrorists) but not a good decision obviously.

It is theoretically intended for those types of actual criminals yes but it's a slippery slop kind of deal. There probably won't be much change in the short term but it makes winning in 2020 that much more important as the President can then call off the dogs.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indefinite detention without a conviction is supposed to be unconstitutional. This is a terrible ruling, completely inhumane.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I'm slightly confused and I don't know if I'm seeing an answer anywhere. Is this saying that ANY illegal immigrant can be detained indefinitely? Or is this more complex procedural question?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
This on top of already having upheld the legality of internment camps for the country's own citizens decades ago is truly paving the way for creating a dreamland for authoritarianism.

Oct 27, 2017
Ironic about this is majority of the Hispanic population in the states won't care that it affect their race mostly cause of fuck you got mine attitude.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
One stolen seat and one mired in disgrace. That asshole Kennedy fucking hand picked a sexual assaulter.

The effects of this Presidency will haunt us for the rest of my life. Unless we pack the court.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
1-2 more SCOTUS seats will change after the 2020 election. For the sake of everyone, vote blue.

Keep your eyes on the big picture, or we will never escape this shit.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the Twitter hot take/thread title is accurate (seems to be related to a class of immigrants who have committed dangerous crimes/terrorists) but not a good decision obviously to deny anyone a bail hearing.

Twitter being incendiary? Shocking.

The law is pretty clear on its face, clearly in 1996 when Clinton signed this into law there wasn't quite as much scrutiny on mandatory detention without bond.

I'd prefer all detained immigrants have the option to a bond hearing but that's not what is in the law at the moment.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Broken system man, these dudes should not have such a long term. Makes no sense. We got a lady practically fighting against death to not cause the scale to go even further in the other direction.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's not stealing a seat when Kennedy is coordinating with the White House on his retirement and replacement.

Yeah, and the Senate didn't change hands anyway, Republicans actually gained seats. Maybe, a big maybe, they gained a seat or two because of Kavanaugh, but let's just say the Democrats were not winning the Senate in 2018. I think we all agree the Kavanaugh nomination was a horrible thing with a horrible result, it just wasn't stolen like the Garland seat.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they'll never have to release those kids on the border?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
THE MOTHERFUCKING BILL OF RIGHTS said:
The Sixth Amendment guarantees the rights of criminal defendants, including the right to a public trial without unnecessary delay, the right to a lawyer, the right to an impartial jury, and the right to know who your accusers are and the nature of the charges and evidence against you.

Cool.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

Mark Joseph Stern @mjs_DC

Background on this case: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/10/nielsen-preap-aclu-neil-gorsuch-briefs.html …

During oral arguments, it really seemed like Gorsuch, and maybe even Kavanaugh, would side against the Trump administration. They didn't. 5–4 vote. Really bad day for immigration rights.

Breyer wrote the dissent, and he's reading it from the bench, which demonstrates just how upset he is. Last term he warned us that SCOTUS' conservatives want to strip immigrants of their constitutional rights: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/justice-alito-just-signaled-the-supreme-courts-conservatives-might-not-consider-immigrants-to-be-people.html …

Breyer writes that he fears the court's decision "will work serious harm to the principles for which American law has long stood." Calls it a violation of "basic American legal values."

Yeah. He's mad. pic.twitter.com/xjZfc0zISr

10:20 AM - Mar 19, 2019

Breyer's absolutely right.

This is a lasting harm to the United States.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
ICE Detention camps have existed for years and years now. Are people not paying attention? Can't wait for people to see something bad and immediate think it's because this specific ruling destroyed freedom overnight when it was actually something that was already happening.

Sure but ICE in general is pretty new and this ruling just cements their power and legitimacy. People probably weren't paying attention enough or being critical enough during Obama's 8 years, but that doesn't make this any less bad of a development.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ICE Detention camps have existed for years and years now. Are people not paying attention? Can't wait for people to see something bad and immediate think it's because this specific ruling destroyed freedom overnight when it was actually something that was already happening.

Except this ruling legitimizes them and gives them legal backing. I don't really see the point of the "hey I followed this band a long time before you did" type rhetoric. So what if some people didn't know about them? They are legitimate now.

As it is, for whatever fucking reason the Constitution doesn't apply to even legal citizens within 100 miles of a border (any fucking border), which covers a significant portion of the population.

imagemap.gif

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I'm still confused on whether this case was a challenge to an already existing law that is now upheld or the opposite? Can anyone clarify that for me?

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I thought this has been true since the G.W. days. Was the caveat then that you had to "suspect" someone of being a terrorist before locking them away indefinitely with no formal charges or trial? Or is this extending that sort of privilege to another government agency?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its ridiculous that we are coming full circuel where States and Federal Nullification are going to be what saves liberty in American rather than risk destroying it.

Blue states need to start doing radical shit like arresting ICE agents.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
That violates human rights, not even just American rights and laws.

You can't hold someone indefinitely without a trial

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not an expert in US constitutional law, however, I cannot see how this ruling can exist under any valid legal system. If it somehow does fit in with US law and these 5 conservative judges are correct in their ruling, then the foundation of US law itself is invalid and I do not respect it. I suspect the truth is that these 5 judges are simply partisan shitheels with no conscience or shame and they have deliberatuly misruled this point of law for political purposes.