Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If only Lucio had the same nose and lips.
Lucio obviously looks like a black person in his facial construction.

images

This is, of course, underscoring the fact that there is no typical "Brazilian" look in the first place, so I'm not sure what image of a "Brazilian" you're comparing him to in order to determine that he doesn't measure up.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I won't devolve this thread into a list war but literally every other multiplayer hero shooter does inclusion better

I'll be glad to share you my thoughts through messaging if you doubt my claim tho

Lol this is a thread talking about Overwatch's diversity. You're not deralling if you want to talk about other games that do it better. I don't see where the every other game does it better though. I can think of Apex but that's about it. People just like to talk out of their ass about Overwatch for some reason.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Lol this is a thread talking about Overwatch's diversity. You're not deralling if you want to talk about other games that do it better. I don't see where the every other game does it better though. I can think of Apex but that's about it. People just like to talk out of their ass about Overwatch for some reason.

People got mad at me the last time I made a list of games that do it better and I rather not catch a perma for that

When I get perma'd, it will be for something marvelous

With that said:
Apex
Siege
Fortnite
Paladins
Gears of War

All multiplayer shooters that have been long handling the topic of inclusion better than Overwatch.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

Siege?

They have operators from Morocco, Italy, Denmark, China, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Poland, France, Canada, US, UK, Brazil, Russia, Spain and Germany.
Perù, Mexico, India and Kenya are coming this year.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
People got mad at me the last time I made a list of games that do it better and I rather not catch a perma for that

With that said:
Apex
Siege
Fortnite
Paladins
Gears of War

All multiplayer shooters that have been long handling the topic of inclusion better than Overwatch.

Siege and Apex ok but Fornite? Overwatch actually gives their characters background stories. They're not just a skin. It's also why it takes more time for a hero to be unveiled. Every new hero in Overwatch gets a background trailer and that is more than can be said for every game you mentioned.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Overwatch's representation can definitely be better. However, it is leagues ahead a lot of other games out there in terms of diversity. Though, Overwatch has stiff competition with Paladins having more black female characters.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Heart of the Swarm? I thought they stopped all new content development?

Edit: Heroes of the Storm.

Heroes of the Storm didn't stop ALL development. The official esports events were killed and large amounts of staff were moved to other projects, but they've still been releasing patches, events, and even new heroes, albeit slowly.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I also think if people are going to discuss inclusion their suggestions should account for the quality of that inclusion and not merely the acknowledgment of non-white people's existence. It's the Blade vs. Black Panther scenario. There is a difference between a film that happens to star a black person and a film ostensibly about and inseparable from black culture, and it's why people screaming "But Blade!!!" at black people excited about Black Panther missed the point.

So my question is what does, for example, Fortnite do in regards to its actual characterization and use of various cultures as lore that Overwatch does not? Because even as a black woman who lacks direct representation in Overwatch (although still satisfied with Lucio), I'm wondering why I should laud a game that- you know- simultaneously steals black urban dance culture to repackage it for white audiences while erasing the originators of those dancers, even if I can play as a black woman. Overwatch doesn't really do that, and the background lore of Lucio alone is amazing enough to make up for some of its missteps.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

With that said:
Apex
Siege
Fortnite
Paladins
Gears of War

Fortnite doesn't have characters.

Don't know Paladins cast. Apex is on point. I hear good things about Siege. Gears is...maybe on par with OW at best.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Siege and Apex ok but Fornite? Overwatch actually gives their characters background stories. They're not just a skin. It's also why it takes more time for a hero to be unveiled. Every new hero in Overwatch gets a background trailer and that is more than can be said for every game you mentioned.

Every Fortnite skin actually has characterization in Save the World

If all it takes for a characterization in a video game to be fleshed out is

a trailer

Then you should be satisfied to know that Siege and Gears does way more , so you should probably just play those instead lmfao

Fortnite doesn't have characters.

Don't know Paladins cast. Apex is on point. I hear good things about Siege. Gears is...maybe on par with OW at best.

Gears has twice the amount of black people in Overwatch though

It's also like the only game right now that has a huge amount of Hispanic characters too

Fortnite has plenty of characters, I wish you people would stop saying this

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
The different practices doesn't really apply here since Genji voice actor also had Japanese for his mother tongue though, though obviously they tried much harder ever since Ana.

Don't put words in my mouth. I don't think they were "deliberately cockblocking" anyone, just that they didn't care enough and it was not a priority. It's not a big deal, just a bit of a shame.

Your experience is more than what I have, but I don't think it's contradicting the possibility that it just was too far down the priority list.

Then I apologize for my rudeness.

You are right about one thing. We don't know everything about the casting calls at the time, and are only going through speculation/bits from interviews to fill in the gaps. Maybe it wasn't a priority to cast all the characters that can voice their respective character in English and their native tongue (Widow and Mei's voice actresses in the English release are also cast in their respective characters for the French and Chines dubs, for instance).

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

a trailer

Then you should be satisfied to know that Siege and Gears does way more , so you should probably just play those instead lmfao

It's also like the only game right now that has a huge amount of Hispanic characters too

Siege is the only game that you can argue does more in terms of nationalities.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Does Fortnite even have backgrounds and stories for their characters?

I should probably Google it since I don't play it so I have no idea.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I mean looking at the roster it looks like it has a lot of representation. Just because it doesn't have a black female (when it has plenty of minorities, male and female) Just makes it sound like you should design your roster of like

One cisgendered male of each race
One transgendered male of each race
One cisgendered female of each race
one transgendered female of each race

Like let's celebrate wins guys.

"Transgendered" is not a good term.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Oh- apologies for that. What is the correct term then? I thought that since cisgendered was adopted then naturally transgendered would still be the one to use?
Should leave the "ed" of both, I think. It basically sounds like something that happened to someone, rather than an aspect of that person.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

a trailer

Cole, Jace, Del, and?

Gears also has an advantage in being a narrative-based game, Kait's family basically doubles the Latino cast.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Cole, Jace, Del, Griffin, Lahni, Keegan.

Before the reveal of Kait and her family, we had for hispanics just Dom, Myrrah, and Valera
Haha, I guess Gears gets the win here because there's a new title with a new mode introducing 3 new entirely unheard of characters, 2 of which are black. Still, this is a game with 13 years of history - so while its diversity is praiseworthy, it's also unfair to compare to a game with 3 years.

I don't recall who Valera is, even after googling her. And I'm gonna say you don't get to count Myrrah, cause she's not really human anymore and her ethnicity is not apparent at all.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This doesn't really make sense to me. Like isn't real diversity to have many different kind of characters? I guess rating minorities against each other this way feels weird to begin with

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get people who are like "This [insert game] is so diverse it's a shame that people keep complaining about it not being diverse enough" like if the game is already diverse why wouldn;t you want more or at least want even better diversity? Just seems really disingenuous.

I've seen quite a few of my friends criticize the OW for not having a black woman in the roster and funny enough people telling them that Sombra and Symmetra count because dark skin must equal black.....right....

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there's still no black women characters in the game, that's a fact and a weird one at that.

I don't know if it's statistically all that weird, albeit that largely rests on the contention that it is acceptable for Overwatch's cast to be distorted towards areas of the world where gaming is most popular*. Sub-saharan Africa itself is not a major gaming market (sadly and for obvious reasons), and sub-saharan populations outside of Africa are not especially large. No denying that it would be cool for them to include a black woman/black women in future (I always thought it was a shame that Efi wasn't included in the game more prominently along with Orisa), but I don't feel the absence of a black woman is suspect given the limited size of the human cast.

*Obviously, if you disagree with that contention, then there are much wider issues.

Mazinger

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
As a Dutchman I'm just happy to see a Dutch character in a videogame for once. Even if he's a white guy.
Just saying...

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Yeah, I just read an article that clarified it for me.

Thank you for taking the time to learn!

Speaking as someone who both has multiple diagnosed neurological disorders (GAD, MDD, CPTSD, GDD, ADHD and ASD1) and works on Overwatch (mentioned for full disclosure of my connection to the game and that my words only represent my views), I love Sigma and don't see him as problematic. Others in this thread have done a good job detailing why. I think he's a very interesting addition to the game.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I understand people's trepidation on the handling of mental health issues for sure. I feel like very few pieces of popular media have handled mental illness in a complex and non stigmatizing way.

I find it interesting though that people are upset about him being a white character (to be fair I don't know how widespread this sentiment is.) it had been a while since I had looked at the full most up to date roster and it seems nearly half and half. With a couple characters being racially ambiguous, anthropomorphized animals, or robots.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is sometimes perplexing that the metric for some is that you aren't truly diverse unless there's an african-american man AND woman.

Likewise, it is a tad head scratching "just another white man" as a monolith for characters being introduced, even if they don't speak the same language/religions/geographic distance. I'd sure like to come to a group containing turkish, russian, irish, swedish, polish, german, british, irish men and saying "meh, all I see is white guys". Like visually i GET IT, but that would only be valid in the vacuum of nationality and representation not being one aspect of a medium or specific game, such as OW where characters representing different countries/cultures is a point of diversity.

And also one topic i find difficult to employ is the "this character doesn't look like he's from X country". When brought up, usually in reference to only the darkest skinned members of a multicultural country truly qualify as representative of that country.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Likewise, it is a tad head scratching "just another white man" as a monolith for characters being introduced, even if they don't speak the same language/religions/geographic distance. I'd sure like to come to a group containing turkish, russian, irish, swedish, polish, german, british, irish men and saying "meh, all I see is white guys". Like visually i GET IT, but that would only be valid in the vacuum of nationality and representation not being one aspect of a medium or specific game, such as OW where characters representing different countries/cultures is a point of diversity.
There is an inherent contradiction between the concept of white identity and the concept of national identity. National identity refers to legal status of belonging to a country regardless of the ethnic make-up and/or phenotype expression of the individuals residing in that nation. Meanwhile, the concept of "whiteness" was created specifically to assimilate disparate, often-times warring nationalities under one banner to morally justify the brutality of European colonialism. While nationalities can at least be defined by the laws, rights, and cultural practices of any given state, whiteness is harder to define beyond skin color (and even then not all light-skinned peoples were always considered "white") as it's a moving goalpost, an ad hoc philosophical rationalization for monstrous practices during European expansion and the continued apathy towards moving past that.

I agree with you that nationality is one facet of diversity, and I hope for more underrepresented nationalities from Blizzard going forward: African, Southeast Asian, and South American nationalities are sorely missing from gaming as a whole. At the same time, I don't agree that having Turkish, Russian, Irish, Swedish, Polish, German, and British representation necessitates that a single hypothetical character from all of these nations necessarily be white; subsequently I don't agree with trying to point to Sigma's being Dutch as a total rebuke of the charge that he doesn't add much to the table in regards to Overwatch's selling point of inclusion, particularly on a racial front. He is Dutch, but he is also white. If Sigma, Soldier, Junkrat, McCree, and Lucio were sitting together in a bar, I'd be willing to be money the psychotic astrophysicist is not going to be the first target in case the police need to be called.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
y'know, I'd love to see a white person from somewhere that's not from north america or europe, and this is where Sigma and Ashe sting for me... I'm white, and from Brazil,and folks like me virtually don't exist in foreign media and when we do they make it the latino stereotype, like SF's Laura...
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Lúcio, and i really like that he's black and not whatever stereotype folks have about "brazilian-looking people", he totally deserves the spot in the game, but you could include white folks from places people outside their countries are not aware they live in, and PoC from countries people don't associate those ethnicities with... and they don't do that. Let's not pretend there's no black Frenchs, White Peruvians, Japanese descent brazilians and the like, you could include at least one folk that's not a racial AND cultural stereotype for a change, breaking racial/cultural stereotypes is showing diversity too.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I've always thought Overwatch was on the forefront of character diversity.

I really want more characters of differing body types. Heavier male characters that aren't jokes of themselves would be nice. We see very little of that.

Resident Evil Revelations 1 had one. Which was cool.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's far more exhausting seeing posts like this acting like just because Overwatch earned a "you tried" sticker when it comes to diversity that it did enough, and thus shouldn't be criticized for how it handles minorities nor for what it excludes.
It's really dismissive to give the diversity champion that is OverWatch a "you tried" participation ribbon. I'd be pumped to be shown a game at its scale that's doing it better.

Oct 26, 2017
Dutchies are basically non-existant in gaming as far as representation goes, but I accept that doesn't count for much for the people who just look at skin color and move on.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really dismissive to give the diversity champion that is OverWatch a "you tried" participation ribbon. I'd be pumped to be shown a game at its scale that's doing it better.
Tekken. lol.

Dutchies are basically non-existant in gaming as far as representation goes, but I accept that doesn't count for much for the people who just look at skin color and move on.
The marginalized Dutchies.

Last edited: