• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna defend Epic's moneyhatting for major titles, because I can't, but I totally understand the likes of Three Fields going with Epic for Dangerous Driving.

Chances are with how low budget those games are Epic have given them enough upfront to keep the studio going for at least one more project.

Hopefully DD can be their breakthrough success and a sequel can show up on all PC platforms day and date.
I really think they made a good deal (Three Fields, that is) there because that game doesn't really look too hot.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Before this thread goes to shit, I'd like to point out that I have 1500 games in my library and I tend to select what I activate so they're all interesting at-least-decent games that deserve to exist. Before I wiped out my wishlist because I was spending way too much money I had 1000 games on there as well, those were good games too. And there are a lot of genres I don't like.

So, even if you advocate for a curated store that only allows good games, you'll still have many good games hidden by many better games hidden by many even better games... hidden by the best games.

(Also, I know of all those asset flip titles only from Jim Sterling's videos.)

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I can get on board with a "screw steam" sentiment after the whole rape day stuff, but it is not the Epic Store that will fix things. They are worse in every other single aspect, so screw them as well.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is it that he doesn't understand? I'm sick of hearing that EPIC isn't good competition from people with no sort of justification

"With no sort of justification" lol, the nerves here.
Okay, here's a few ones:
-Worse features than Steam... in 2009.
-Locking out exclusives from EVERY other stores, which means not only Steam, which led to price fixing.
-Higher prices all over the board.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great, I stopped caring about Steam long time ago. Wish I could move my entire library to Epic store instead

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
giphy.gif

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Can't watch the video at work so I'll have to check it out later.

I will say that Steam is the superior choice still, even with all of the issues. My main complaint is the lack of curation and I believe that's something Jim has harped on before. It's fine if you want to open the flood gates but I believe the vast majority of stuff should be relegated to its own sub section on the store and not be featured. Cherry pick the good stuff and let the hidden gems rise to the top via word of mouth. Similar to how indies were handled on the 360. I know there are a lot of people who oppose this idea but as far as my dollar is concerned, I don't want to see any of those games.

I'll deal with it though if my alternative is Epic. After my experience with the Division 2 beta I'm not interested. At least for now.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
As it stands, Steam is by far the more pro-consumer of the two stores, so to see Jim to gloss over Epic's blatantly anti-consumer practices seems to go against his reputation as a consumer watchdog.

Eh, the boy's gotta get his influencer cut. Epic's been pretty smart about this. By promising big influencer cuts they risk barely any criticism for their actions, be it in Youtube or news sites.

Edit: I wrote this after being a bit hotheaded from watching this video from someone who keeps saying how he is against everything anti-consumer.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I will say that Steam is the superior choice still, even with all of the issues. My main complaint is the lack of curation and I believe that's something Jim has harped on before. It's fine if you want to open the flood gates but I believe the vast majority of stuff should be relegated to its own sub section on the store and not be featured. Cherry pick the good stuff and let the hidden gems rise to the top via word of mouth. Similar to how indies were handled on the 360. I know there are a lot of people who oppose this idea but as far as my dollar is concerned, I don't want to see any of those games.

I'll deal with it though if my alternative is Epic. After my experience with the Division 2 beta I'm not interested. At least for now.
But that is how it works?
Some people here seem to think the Store homepage is full of crap when you really need to get out of the way to find it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before this thread goes to shit, I'd like to point out that I have 1500 games in my library and I tend to select what I activate so they're all interesting at-least-decent games that deserve to exist. Before I wiped out my wishlist because I was spending way too much money I had 1000 games on there as well, those were good games too. And there are a lot of genres I don't like.

So, even if you advocate for a curated store that only allows good games, you'll still have many good games hidden by many better games hidden by many even better games... hidden by the best games.

(Also, I know of all those asset flip titles only from Jim Sterling's videos.)

The argument that by removing games like rape simulators it will affect games that actually deserve to be seen has always struck me as disingenuous.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the boy's gotta get his influencer cut. Epic's been pretty smart about this. By promising big influencer cuts they risk barely any criticism for their actions, be it in Youtube or news sites.

Well, there's also that. I feel like a certain Jim Sterling is smelling the good potential additionnal revenue stream here.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is already how the store works.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
At work so I can't watch, but based on that synopsis, I'm wondering if he hit on some of the more blatantly problematic elements of Steam worthy of examining.
  • Their virtual marketplace taking a major cut on player-to-player transactions.
  • Their Steam sale metagames incentivizing you to spend large amounts of money.
  • Their trading card system being soft gambling with real money.
  • Them historically supporting real gambling through virtual goods.
  • Them literally inventing and popularizing loot boxes and other modern monetization techniques in AAA games.
  • The libertarian laissez-faire techbro mentality that leads to all this in the first place.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
What exactly is it that he doesn't understand? I'm sick of hearing that EPIC isn't good competition from people with no sort of justification

Paying 3rd party devs and publishers to keep their games away from competing storefronts isn't good for competition. People have been saying this all the time.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wow. This thread is delivering.

Paying 3rd party devs and publishers to keep their games away from competing storefronts isn't good for competition. People have been saying this all the time.

I would rather not go to a place where games like AIDS Simulator and racist games are rationalized behind the veil of libertarianism. One can talk about that in a vacuum without championing the Epic Store. Valve's problems and their lack of transparency and overall complete indifference is terrifying to me. They are the Facebook of the PC Storefronts.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Jim Sterling has been making videos and profit of showing off shitty games he finds on Steam while screaming "curation" every chance he gets to make even more money.

Steam needs to be quick to take out stuff like school shooting and rape games. No doubt about it. We don't need a 20 minute video to know that and Jim's tired rhetoric really is bottom of the barrel stuff. Just preaching to the choir while making money of the thing he criticises.

Defending a store with like 30 games (some of them money hatted) like the way to do it is ridiculous.

How about GOG where awesome games have been rejected and then found success on Steam? It's easy to look at the trash on Steam (that most people don't see and some only see it because Jim advertises it) but lack of curation has been a great way to all types of games to find an home and success. Steam has also improved tons of tools to find games (even before Epic Store existed so, you know, competition had nothing to do with it).

They still have a long way to go (especially in stuff like what happened recently) but man, Jim Sterling has been repeating this forever and that dude has the most basic, bottom of the barrel arguments possible. It's idiocracy applied to video games. It's second only to his rants regarding DLC and micro transactions.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
"With no sort of justification" lol, the nerves here.
Okay, here's a few ones:
-Worse features than Steam... in 2009.
-Locking out exclusives from EVERY other stores, which means not only Steam, which led to price fixing.
-Higher prices all over the board.
Let him go read the plenty of other threads where all justification was done. They tend to come and bash steam without ever reading our arguments and tell competition is good. Notice how those three words is all they say. If you ask me, they need to justify their way of thinking.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Steam direct and Steam's total lack of curation and moderation is a sore spot for me. There's just so much trash that it's a pain finding anything that I didn't already know about.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i don't really care for the epic store promo, but there's not much i can disagree with here

"Valve is a drunk Sheriff of a lawless town" is so hilariously accurate

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
At work so I can't watch, but based on that synopsis, I'm wondering if he hit on some of the more blatantly problematic elements of Steam worthy of examining.
  • Their virtual marketplace taking a major cut on player-to-player transactions.
  • Their trading card system being soft gambling with real money.
  • Them historically supporting real gambling through virtual goods.
  • Them literally inventing and popularizing loot boxes and other modern monetization techniques in AAA games.
  • The libertarian laissez-faire techbro mentality that leads to all this in the first place.
First three yeah. Though they have started cutting down on it after the whole CS:GO shit storm.
The fourth is totally wrong. Lootboxes start from F2P mmos and become much more popular once the mobile market showed that a vast majority of the population was all in on IAPs. Blaming it on Valve is kinda backwards (as well as them not being the first AAA as MMOs exist!)

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
"Back when Valve did indeed make games. Artifact doesn't count!"

Jim, I'm gonna need some explanation on this one, as it's extremely arbitrary. Artifact did flop massively, but I don't really see how that makes it "not a game"?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let him go read the plenty of other threads where all justification was done. They tend to come and bash steam without ever reading our arguments and tell competition is good. Notice how those three words is all they say. If you ask me, they need to justify their way of thinking.

Imagine bashing Steam for allowing Rape Day. What a fucking crazy thing to do!

Jim, I'm gonna need some explanation on this one, as it's extremely arbitrary. Artifact did flop massively, but I don't really see how that makes it "not a game"?

I think it's a joke.

The card game and real item monetisation is much more problematic than "curation".

People have different priorities. Some people don't worry about games on Steam because they can't afford a PC. I don't think it's a competition in what is worse really. All these things have solutions.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
There's groups of people that need Steam because of the features it provides... :/

If you use Linux you need Steam for Proton to game much more freely.

If you're handicapped (or like controllers) you need Steam Input for the sheer customization and support regardless of what modern controller you use. Being able to share controller layouts thru Steam lets handicapped people support each other easily. It's infinitely easier than the alternatives.

It's so easy to look at Steam as just a storefront, but it's very much a platform with its features and ignoring those consumer friendly features and only looking at the storefront kinda sucks.

Stuff like offering devs DDOS protected servers and working on a machine learning anti cheat are also nice beyond Steam Workshop/Steam Guides too.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Saying Artifact doesn't count has been a thing basically since it was first announced.

It was stupid as hell then, it's stupid as hell now. It basically boils down to "card games aren't real games. Where's my HL3/L4D3/P3".

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Or how Dota 2, the to me best continuously developed game ever, doesn't count either. Nor CS:GO, for that matter.

Do only new—and apparently successful—games count? I bet that's so, if you need to make a dumb statement.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steams need for actual curation and a way to balance "anything goes" with "we can't have Rape Day on our store"?

Or Epic games store being the place to be moving forward, as Jim apparently wants?
The former.
I don't think the Epic Store should be the place. I don't think any one store should be the place.
I also don't think that Steam's issues negate Epic Store's deficiencies, such as they are, either.

Aug 30, 2018
I think most people would agree with steam needed better curation. I'll be interested to see how well epic does it down the line though.

I don't want steam to curate the titles available. (Other than obviously hateful material.) I'll never understand why people have a hard time finding games they enjoy on the platform. The trash is really easy to ignore / bypass imo.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the same thing, but I honestly wasn't sure as a lot of people actually unironically believe Artifact doesn't count.

There are always going to be disingenuous people. People want Valve to make Half Life games.

There's groups of people that need Steam because of the features it provides... :/

If you use Linux you need Steam for Proton to game much more freely.

If you're handicapped (or like controllers) you need Steam Input for the sheer customization and support regardless of what modern controller you use. Being able to share controller layouts thru Steam lets handicapped people support each other easily. It's infinitely easier than the alternatives.

It's so easy to look at Steam as just a storefront, but it's very much a platform with its features and ignoring those consumer friendly features and only looking at the storefront kinda sucks.

Stuff like offering devs DDOS protected servers and working on a machine learning anti cheat are also nice beyond Steam Workshop/Steam Guides too.

These are all good things. But I'm not sure how relevant they are to Steam's curating issues.

I don't want steam to curate the titles available. (Other than obviously hateful material.) I'll never understand why people have a hard time finding games they enjoy on the platform. The trash is really easy to ignore / bypass imo.

To be clear, you're advocating for curation here. There are quite a few people who don't want any curation whatsoever.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
First three yeah. Though they have started cutting down on it after the whole CS:GO shit storm.
The fourth is totally wrong. Lootboxes start from F2P mmos and become much more popular once the mobile market showed that a vast majority of the population was all in on IAPs. Blaming it on Valve is kinda backwards (as well as them not being the first AAA as MMOs exist!)
No, the popularization of loot boxes in Western AAA can be directly traced to Valve. Loot boxes were popular in the East and on mobile before, but Valve's implementations are what proved efficacy in Western AAA. EA had some hand in it too through FIFA Ultimate Team, but that's a slightly separate lineage closer to traditional card packs.

Lootbox design lineage:
TF2/CSGO --> Overwatch --> everyone else.

Same with the Battle pass.
Dota 2 --> Fortnite --> everyone else.

The lock and key variant of the loot box is a distinctly Valve innovation. It uses the endowment effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect) to entice users to buy keys. This is slimey even for me, and I'm in most threads defending monetization.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Oh please, the guy doesn't need any bribes in order to push out uninformed and anti-consumer takes. Nothing new under the sun here.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The lack of self regulation in every industry is utterly disgusting. Its absence in the tech sector is a constant. Between failing algorithms for moderation, quality control, and rampant monetization, something HAS to be done, and the only thing that will affect change will end up being something mandated. Whether it's the ESRB, which has been a completely absent in the digital sphere, or direct federal regulation.