• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/30/17180058/sea-of-thieves-pirate-legend-stream-reddit

So There's been a lot of backlash about this. And for a mix of reasons.

Prod1gyX began streaming his attempt to unlock the Pirate Legend title shortly after Sea of Thieves launched on March 20. Developer Rare said prior to the game's release that becoming a Pirate Legend — which requires players to hit level 50 across all three of Sea of Thieves' factions, a process that involves lots of sailing, puzzle solving and even complicated riddles — was the ultimate goal for individual players. That's why the continuous stream amassed a growing number of viewers, who were eager to see what the touted status would actually unlock.

They are calling him a cheater, though he has streamed the entire thing and only did what the game allowed him to.

"The guy bullshitted his way to first, while regurgitating a statement every five seconds that he could have done it by himself; the 'community' only helped him arrive faster," one Redditor wrote in a top anti-Prod1gyX thread. "He is then met with a riddle, and responds by staring at a wall for 45 minutes while he essentially learns how to use his inventory for the first time. For a followup, he continues to stand around while he waits for someone to provide him with an easy answer on what to do next. The problem solving skills here are embarrassing, he's not even attempting to tackle the task at hand - legendary incompetence."

Basically what he's done is used his great number of followers/subbers that play the game to 'boost' his way to 50 in every faction. They do all the work of the questing/fetching, then when they are ready to turn it all in for the reward they kick one of the other players and let him join. They did this 16 hours a day for a week and a half and got him all the way there as the first Pirate Legend! It's all on twitch, you can watch them do this.

The thing is, and probably 90% of the backlash is because, he doesn't know how to play the game.

Last night, when he received the 'Legendary Pirate Quest' he read a one liner riddle and just sat there for about 40 minutes. Then he started going through the menus and his inventory and didn't even know how to move stuff around or sort stuff in his inventory.

He doesn't know how to play the game. Like AT ALL. It was pretty hilarious, and a little baffling to watch.

This is interesting for a number of reasons here. First, using this method, someone that doesn't have the slightest idea of how to sail or block or even change his gear is able to get the 'Legendary Pirate' status which is really entertaining by itself. But Secondly, Rare is supposedly going to make him honored in the game for this feat lol. Will be really interesting to see how this all plays out.

The most interesting thing for me is to see what the Legendary Pirate 'end game' is going to be, as implemented so far. It's been hinted at, talked about and teased in some videos. So very soon, hopefully, we're going to see what the end game content really is.

Is it going to be more fetch quests with harder skelly's? Is it going to be entirely new content we've all been waiting for? Or is it going to be Kraken like, all tentacles with no substance?

And relevant:

"You must be the worst Pirate I've ever heard of."

"Ah, but you HAVE heard of me..."

hULWh0p.gif

UPDATE:
Endgame has been revealed-

The Pirate Legend amounts to the following:
  • An outfit
  • A little ghost pirate zone
  • A faction that is just a mix of the 3 factions
  • A ghost pirate outfit for that faction rep

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People upset over the way he reached Pirate Legend really need to get over themselves.

The most interesting thing for me is to see what the Legendary Pirate 'end game' is going to be, as implemented so far. It's been hinted at, talked about and teased in some videos. So very soon, hopefully, we're going to see what the end game content really is.

Is it going to be more fetch quests with harder skelly's? Is it going to be entirely new content we've all been waiting for? Or is it going to be Kraken like, all tentacles with no substance?
Did you not watch his stream after he figured it all out? The legendary missions are just the 3 classes of missions placed into one large voyage.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Drive-by Post
People are taking this game way too seriously. It's a dead title at this point, there is so little to do. I feel like I've seen it all and I've only played a handful of times with the free 2 week gamepass.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshitting your way to the top through social engineering seems like the most pirate-y thing possible (and is absolutely in line with what Rare had in mind for the game, I think).

Hilarious but fitting.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
So has he said what the end game content is? Something tells me it will be underwhelming but I'm curious for sure

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
1) You're pirates, fuck the code.

2) The Pirate Legend status isn't really all it's cracked up to be.

okay

Oct 25, 2017
The quest was bugged. It's not his fault he dicked around for 45 minutes until he happened to die and the bug fixed itself before reappearing again and having him need to kill himself again.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
If the end game was different quest structure, people would have been mad.
If the end game was the same, people would have been mad.

We've shown our concern towards the mission structure and Rare has acknowledged that. We should move on.

As for the controversy about Prodigy, it's hypocritical that he called it "lame" to join other people's games for loot but it's really not a big deal imo. I'm not sure if i would call it cheating.

Edit:

I could've worded my post better. What i'm saying is that people are disappointed that the end-game is the same type of missions but if you unlocked missions with a completely different mission structure, the majority would've been "mad" at not being able to have variety in quests except if you unlock the status of "pirate legend". Rare have put themselves in a difficult spot by their current mission structure being very much the same and it wouldn't have been this much of a deal if the mission design was way more varied. I'm not defending Rare for having a stale or repetitive mission structure, but i'm just pointing out that no matter what the end-game was, they would've been called out.

As for the "customer-service response" thing, they've made two videos about the networking issues and have been publicly said that they'll do one for the content issue. I don't expect it this week, but we'll know for sure more about Rare's "solution" for this issue in the upcoming week(s).

Re-reading my post, yeah it sounded better in my head.

Last edited:

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
How is this cheating? The game doesn't penalize you for jointing a party late, so he's not doing anything wrong. It's cheap, but not cheating. It's weird that there's no penalty for late joiners, like in Monster Hunter, if you join after 10 minutes I think you don't get all the rewards

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he did anything wrong. And that user quote in the OP? Hard to take that person serious when they come off as bitter.

AnubisRising

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Im pretty sure he only boosted the last bit amd reddit is just blowing it out of proportion.

Also you play as pirates who cares about code

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
People get way too invested with this shit.

He sat there staring at a wall for 40 minutes, and you literally sat and watched someone watching a wall for 40 minutes. I think the saying "get a life" applies here.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
The end game is quite simple. You get acces to an new area that can only be opened by a pirate legend who owns a specific song, to play with his instruments at a certain spot.

You can bring non pirate legend players to the new area.

In the new area you can acces new legendary voyages that are basically al type of voyages combined and than quite a lot. You have visit dozens of islands before finishing the voyage.

You can acces new legendary outfits and by completing the legendary voyages you can also buy ghost clothes than can only be bought in the new legendary area and can only be earned by doing legendary voyages.

They are planning to expand on this with legendary ship customizations and a legendary crew.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its mostly Reddit getting worked up about it.

So yeah probably says enough.

And to be sure. He only started to get help from the community when he was arround level 35/40 and was first.
People wanted to see Pirate Legend and he was first to do it really. They just helped him to get there faster for the own will really.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like he con'ed his way to riches and glory like a true meta pirate~

Oct 27, 2017
If the end game was different quest structure, people would have been mad.
If the end game was the same, people would have been mad.

We've shown our concern towards the mission structure and Rare has acknowledged that. We should move on.

What a bullshit post.

People would be mad if there was something else than fetch quests? Why? Are people mad that there are end-game raids in MMO games?
Nobody is mad, people are just disappointed...

Rare didn't even acknowledge anything, all they did was the customer-service response about listening and valuing your feedback, making vague statements about improving the game somehow someday... Comcast will also listen to your feedback, does it help?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
He's is right. This is nuts. I wish I had a life where my biggest concern was a dude getting boosted in an online game. Folks need to do something with themselves.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If being immortalised in the game by getting everyone else to do the work isn't the stuff of pirate legend I don't know what is.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
At times I can't stand the dude, but he was probably the first streamer I ever watched way back on Justin.tv playing gears of war 2. And plenty of games since, and has always been pretty damn good at them. However his cocky attitude had always put me off. Every once in a while I'd pop back in on his streams to see what he's up to. Most recently watched him destroy people during Lawbreakers launch. Has always had a smaller viewer count.

Yesterday was completely different. He clearly stated he was super tired, his chat was going crazy with everyone trying to see the just what the Pirate Legend hideout would be. And then people spamming his auto Twitter respond, and constant tipping him so he spent portions of stream trying to disable the constant DING his viewers and probably him were hearing, disabling Twitter thing, and restarting stream to fix it.

There was definitely some baffling things being done, but when thousands of people were telling him to "equip shanty" "DIG OUTSIDE TAVERN" etc, he clearly was overwhelmed and exhausted and trying to throw anything at the wall to see what sticks. He played instruments and cycled thru shanty multiple times, but no new song. It wasn't until he later died and tried again that it started working. Either due to Rare's delayed rewards or a bug. To say he can't play the game is ridiculous. He's been streaming the game since launch. I'm sure you should be able to watch past broadcasts or future broadcasts and see him play just fine. Think people are being way to harsh on the guy.

And as for him boosting to 50...I can't remember a single game with a rank or level not having a booster be there first to get it done. I personally don't like it, but it seems perfect for this game. A pirate used his crew to gather loot for him. He beat the system and now everyone has made him a bigger legend by blowing it up.

Curious to see how long it takes a legitimate player.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
That's the most Pirate-y way of going about it, truly worthy of the title pirate legend!

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I didn't watch most of the stream, but people on reddit said he didn't even help turn in the loot. If true, that's somehow the worst thing for me in this debacle. Not even the decency to do that one thing, just sitting in his seat vaping and thanking his supporters for watching. Yeesh.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If being immortalised in the game by getting everyone else to do the work isn't the stuff of pirate legend I don't know what is.

Haha yeah.
But to be fair the biggest misconception atm is that he didnt do anything. He non stop played since launch really. Was highest rank before people starting helping him.
They only started helping him when he was arround 35/40 and people saw he was first and that way they could see sooner wat Pirate Legend was.
Also he didnt do it all the time even after level 35/40 he still played a ton only with his friends.

But overall we can chalk this one up to just Reddit being Reddit.

I didn't watch most of the stream, but people on reddit said he didn't even help turn in the loot. If true, that's somehow the worst thing for me in this debacle. Not even the decency to do that one thing, just sitting in his seat vaping and thanking his supporters for watching. Yeesh.

Yeah no. Just dont believe that. :)

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think people are mad more about Rare is supposedly gonna honor the guy for being the first pirate legend (even though he kinda did it illegitimately), than him having "abused the pirate code."

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Community built around game meant to faciliate social gameplay upset that the first Pirate Legend used the social aspect of the game to rocket to the top. Color me amused and confused. Who cares? I say this as someone who actually really likes this game.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed following along, and the way the community got behind him for the last stretch was excellent. As much as I was gritting my teeth in a few spots where he got mixed up, he had also been streaming for hours, and also ran into a random glitch at the worst possible moment, so it's 1000% understandable.

"No man is an island," and a group effort like this is totally in the spirit of a pirate crew. Honestly, this was a proof-of-concept for how the game works with a community. Like, after he got the title and had unlocked access to the hidden outpost, before he left to sleep he was dropping into random players' games and unlocking the door for them. They had NO IDEA what was happening, and it was hilarious.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would think it would come down to "HOW" the designers intended it.

Just because you can exploit a system doesn't mean that you should.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed following along, and the way the community got behind him for the last stretch was excellent. As much as I was gritting my teeth in a few spots where he got mixed up, he had also been streaming for hours, so it's 1000% understandable.

"No man is an island," and a group effort like this is totally in the spirit of a pirate crew.
Dont forget a chat blowing up if 12.000 viewers when he usually has arround 100 people.
Chat had no clue also what to do really. They even send him to S16 on the map wich everyone spammed haha.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
If you are mad over this...you may need to do some readjusting of priorities.

Also OP...you are 100% WRONG about him not knowing how to play the game...

Last edited: