• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Fighters generally have much lower standards since most franchises are very niche. Their success is not based on how many players downloaded Dead or Alive, their success was based on how many of those free players BOUGHT downloadable content.

This means that if 3 million of those players didn't purchase anything, then they almost mean nothing.
Because DoA is a f2p game on ps4 and xbone, but SoT is either a 60 dollar purchase or available in a 10 dollar subscription, só to even play the game you have to pay something (and also pay for gold on top of that).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
yes i know with their strategy for game as service and Game Pass only matter for them is engagement numbers...

See, this is where I think people get this wrong (and I still can't tell if you're being serious or mocking people asking for numbers or what!)

I'm sure Microsoft care a lot about other metrics. Sales numbers, Game Pass sub numbers, mtx revenue etc. It's all important to Microsoft of course. But in terms of numbers that they share with gaming fans on message boards, yes, engagement numbers are of course gonna be the ones to tout because they're almost always going to be very impressive with a service with low barrier to entry like Game Pass. The 'engagement' with Sea of Thieves (5 million) is an impressive number. It was an impressive number when GTS shared that figure too.

Don't mistake what numbers matter to Microsoft with what numbers matter for Microsoft to share with users of Resetera. Of course they're going to share the most impressive figure. You would too. Gamers who use this free message board have absolutely no reason to get sales figures or concurrent player numbers just as Fallout Boy fans are not entitled to sales figures of their last single and movie fans aren't entitled to the exact worldwide blu-ray sales of a movie. You might get those figures if the studio decides to share them. I don't stamp my feet and demand record sales from Sony Music when they share that x artist has 100 million streams on YouTube. You're a consumer. You're not entitled to them. Why do gamers demand such figures over and over. You buy and use the product. That's where your interaction ends.

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017
Because DoA is a f2p game on ps4 and xbone, but SoT is either a 60 dollar purchase or available in a 10 dollar subscription, só to even play the game you have to pay something (and also pay for gold on top of that).

Or even a free trail.

If most players dropped it shortly after playing it, then that would make Game pass a success more so than Sea of Thieves.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Fighters generally have much lower standards since most franchises are very niche. Their success is not based on how many players downloaded Dead or Alive, their success was based on how many of those free players BOUGHT downloadable content.

I think their point was more that the pace of SoT users compares favorably even to a broadly available F2P game, even without being a F2P game. They didn't seem confused about how F2P models work more generally, and statements out of the publisher about DoA centered on player counts, which makes it a good enough reference point. Players are the lifeblood of service games, and SoT has the benefit of any players being buyers or subscribers, on top of the Gold subscription.

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017
I think their point was more that the pace of SoT users compares favorably even to a broadly available F2P game, even without being a F2P game. They didn't seem confused about how F2P models work more generally, and statements out of the publisher about DoA centered on player counts, which makes it a good enough reference point. Players are the lifeblood of service games, and SoT has the benefit of any players being buyers or subscribers, on top of the Gold subscription.

Like I said, then the success would be tied more so to Game Pass.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear it. Have only been playing the last few weeks but the game is great fun with a group.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, then the success would be tied more so to Game Pass.

I keep trying to wrap my head around how you've got to this point but I can't figure it out. Lot's of players of Sea of Thieves (whether people that bought the game or subbed to Game Pass and played it) is a success for Sea of Thieves. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nice! My favourite game this generation, and it keeps getting better. Got probably around 1000hrs logged in.

Great job Rare & Microsoft!

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers who use this free message board have absolutely no reason to get sales figures or concurrent player numbers just as Fallout Boy fans are not entitled to sales figures of their last single and movie fans aren't entitled to the exact worldwide blu-ray sales of a movie. You might get those figures if the studio decides to share them. I don't stamp my feet and demand record sales from Sony Music when they share that x artist has 100 million streams on YouTube. You're a consumer. You're not entitled to them. Why do gamers demand such figures over and over. You buy and use the product. That's where your interaction ends.

That is nonsense. If you spend money in a MP focused game, you absolutely have a reason to get the concurrent numbers of players.

Last edited:

MrSaxon

Jan 29, 2018
London
Glad to hear the game's doing well. Myself and seven friends play almost every week (not at the same time, mind, as the game only allows four on a Galleon, so the crew members change often) and we're EXTREMELY excited over the new Cursed Sails content.

After it's somewhat terrible beginnings, this has turned into one of the best multiplayer experiences of the year, and they've done a good job at keeping me engaged between the large updates with the bi-weekly challenges.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
You might want them, sure. But you're not entitled to them.

I totally get what they're saying though, in the sense of giving players info enough to know if a game is a graveyard or not. Now, that said, I think the combination individual announcements like the thread here and the "most played" rankings they give out for Live are more than adequate for that. To your point, there's obviously a difference between a practical amount of information and nitty-gritty specifics that's more the purview of hobbyist analysis.

(I'd still love to see avg daily users, just out of sheer curiosity.)

John Wick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
When was the last time MS gave details on sales data?..we don't even know FH3 current numbers but we know that game was very successful for MS&PG Games yet somehow same users keep asking for these data in every thread about the success of SoT and SoD2, at this point its almost like they got some agenda. Lol

Anyway, congrats Rare.. glad to see them continuously putting out these updates.they've also been hiring a lot lately, I'm guessing for SoT and their rumored new IP.

It's funny how MS used to parade about the sales of Halo last gen but now because their sales have dropped across the board they use other metrics to hide the data and maybe show the results in a positive light.
There is no agenda because the whole point of sales data is to compare sales.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't people just accept we likely won't get any sales data from MS anymore?

Because it's something people got for so long, they refuse to see the future is changing. Getting the number of players is what is going to be going forward as subscriptions become more popular. However there will be a lot of people kicking and screaming as it moves that way. I get some people don't want to go the subscription route, I get it, but I like it personally. Maybe because I've played MMO's since I Ultima Online beta 4 and have paid for an MMO every month since then in one form or fashion, I just accepted it a long time ago lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how MS used to parade about the sales of Halo last gen but now because their sales have dropped across the board they use other metrics to hide the data and maybe show the results in a positive light.
There is no agenda because the whole point of sales data is to compare sales.

But when a large amount of your players didn't actually buy the game (they got access to it via a sub), what's the point of comparing sales? Aren't they irrelevant?

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Out of the five million players since launch, how many do you think are still active now then? Forty to sixty or something, maybe less than that?

If only 50,000 people (for example) are still playing that is only 1% of the original 5 million that downloaded, not great retention and would likely not be a worthwhile for continued investment from Microsoft.

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017
You can't be serious. You think the specific game doesn't have a connection to the number of players it engages in a situation like this?

I keep trying to wrap my head around how you've got to this point but I can't figure it out. Lot's of players of Sea of Thieves (whether people that bought the game or subbed to Game Pass and played it) is a success for Sea of Thieves. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

It's simple.

If 400k people wanted to try the games out on Game Pass within the past month and Sea of Thieves was one of those games, but they dropped after playing it for a few hours then number is not that great. It's good that they tried it, but it's not great.

So tell me, how can 400k people playing it for only just a few hours be considered a huge success.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever add cosmetic micro-transactions? I haven't logged back in, was waiting for more content (now that it's here I'll jump back in soon). I'd assume that's coming soon to keep the game being more profitable. This is the perfect game to make money on cosmetics if they follow the Fortnite model imo.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
No one here said they were entitled to them.
I do. I want the concurrent players if I'm about to spend my money on an online only game outside of launch weeks.

I don't see how that is unreasonable, even if I understand why the companies want to hide it and mislead the public with numbers not relevant to that information.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What a stupid reply. Well done
No one here said they were entitled to them. But what's the point of stating 5 million players with no context or breakdown of figures?

Because it's a PR. You're a gaming fan on a message board. What's the point of them sharing sales figures and concurrent users data with you? Why do you need them and, more importantly, why should MS give them to you?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever add cosmetic micro-transactions? I haven't logged back in, was waiting for more content (now that it's here I'll jump back in soon). I'd assume that's coming soon to keep the game being more profitable. This is the perfect game to make money on cosmetics if they follow the Fortnite model imo.
Comes later and it comes in way of getting pets etc.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I do. I want the concurrent players if I'm about to spend my money on an online only game outside of launch weeks.

I don't see how that is unreasonable, even if I understand why the companies want to hide it and mislead the public with numbers not relevant to that information.

Something being relevant and being entitled to something are two different things. :P

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Again, I can understand why you might want that information but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it might be relevant to you but you're not entitled to it.

How many games advertise their concurrent players in PR? I know PUBG did when they announced 450 million players. You don't normally hear it though. You normally have to go to third party sources like Steam Spy or sometimes it'll show it inside the game itself on mode selection or whatever (like in Titanfall or Rocket League). It's not a requirement though. It's useful info sure.

It's not misleading or 'hiding' info to say they've had 5 million people play Sea of Thieves. It's literally true. There are about 20 people max in each Sea of Thieves server. You'll be fine if you jump in to play it, don't worry.

mpurrr

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
So tell me, how can 400k people playing it for only just a few hours be considered a huge success.

You mean like every game released? Look through trophies on PS4 and see how many people actually even make it to the first trophy on any game. It seems 20% of buyers don't play the game for more than an even a hour if we use that theoretic.

All these games are still considered successes in their own right, right?

Are we comparing a games success by knowing X amount of players have played for X amount of time now? The gold in gymnastics goes to.......................

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I can understand why you might want that information but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ How many games advertise their concurrent players in PR? I know PUBG did when they announced 450 million players. You don't normally hear it though. You normally have to go to third party sources like Steam Spy or sometimes it'll show it inside the game itself on mode selection or whatever (like in Titanfall or Rocket League). It's not a requirement though. It's useful info sure.

It's not misleading or 'hiding' info to say they've had 5 million people play Sea of Thieves. It's literally true. There are about 20 people max in each Sea of Thieves server. You'll be fine if you jump in to play it, don't worry.
Yeah, I understand that, it's just that I don't agree when you said players have NO REASON to want concurrent numbers. In a MP focused game, they do.

You can easily find concurrent numbers of all steam games on the official page by the way

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the success. I'm not particularly stoked about multiplayer games like SoT, but nevertheless happy Rare found success after Kinect.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only 50,000 people (for example) are still playing that is only 1% of the original 5 million that downloaded, not great retention and would likely not be a worthwhile for continued investment from Microsoft.

And if it's 0.5% then that's even worse!

Xbox really should just close Rare considering how bad these numbers we've just made up are, lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I understand that, it's just that I don't agree when you said players have NO REASON to want concurrent numbers. In a MP focused game, they do.

I think we've misunderstood each other then. I say message board users have 'no reason to get sales figures or concurrent user numbers'. Not that they have no reason to want them. Devs/publishers don't have to share them with you just because you've bought a product. Crossed wires I guess.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Congrats on the success. I'm not particularly stoked about multiplayer games like SoT, but nevertheless happy Rare found success after Kinect.

To be honest, I can't imagine Rare working on two GaaS-games at the same time. So I expect a singleplayer (or largely singleplayer) experience from them next.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
See, this is where I think people get this wrong (and I still can't tell if you're being serious or mocking people asking for numbers or what!)

I'm sure Microsoft care a lot about other metrics. Sales numbers, Game Pass sub numbers, mtx revenue etc. It's all important to Microsoft of course. But in terms of numbers that they share with gaming fans on message boards, yes, engagement numbers are of course gonna be the ones to tout because they're almost always going to be very impressive with a service with low barrier to entry like Game Pass. The 'engagement' with Sea of Thieves (5 million) is an impressive number. It was an impressive number when GTS shared that figure too.

Don't mistake what numbers matter to Microsoft with what numbers matter for Microsoft to share with users of Resetera. Of course they're going to share the most impressive figure. You would too. Gamers who use this free message board have absolutely no reason to get sales figures or concurrent player numbers just as Fallout Boy fans are not entitled to sales figures of their last single and movie fans aren't entitled to the exact worldwide blu-ray sales of a movie. You might get those figures if the studio decides to share them. I don't stamp my feet and demand record sales from Sony Music when they share that x artist has 100 million streams on YouTube. You're a consumer. You're not entitled to them. Why do gamers demand such figures over and over. You buy and use the product. That's where your interaction ends.
As i said before numbers isn't matter to me and even How many Copy sold (i'm not Investor so no money for so why i care then)

and yes when GTS share numbers It was impressive numbers coz it sony games.....But when MS share it become a problem for some people here.....

Numbers , Sold copy , revenues and earnings......Doesn't matter to me i'm gamer at the end not Investor

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Or even a free trail.

If most players dropped it shortly after playing it, then that would make Game pass a success more so than Sea of Thieves.
It goes hand in hand.

SoT is currently the highest played game on gamepass, so it has their own merits.

On the other hand we have plenty of data that suggests that Gamepass/play anywhere increase visibility and accessibility of the game, which in turn reflects on more sales/revenue.

We could go on but the main takeway is that Ms strategy is working. And will work even more when they fix the issues with their store, gets the whole xbone library on Pc/mobile (preferably a native option for PC, but streaming would be a great addition already), and more games to support the new features...

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017
You mean like every game released? Look through trophies on PS4 and see how many people actually even make it to the first trophy on any game. It seems 20% of buyers don't play the game for more than an even a hour if we use that theoretic.

All these games are still considered successes in their own right, right?

Are we comparing a games success by knowing X amount of players have played for X amount of time now? The gold in gymnastics goes to.......................

This is just terrible.

We know how successful a game like God of War is because sales figures are reported. It gives a clear indicator how well a game is doing.

5 million figures having played the game doesn't tell us how successful a game is doing. We don't look at PS4 trophies and then apply it to a specific PS4 games, we go by looking at a game individually.

Oct 27, 2017
This is just terrible.

We know how successful a game like God of War is because sales figures are reported. It gives a clear indicator how well a game is doing.

5 million figures having played the game doesn't tell us how successful a game is doing. We don't look at PS4 trophies and then apply it to a specific PS4 games, we go by looking at a game individually.
Why does it matter to you how successful it is. MS(Phil Spencer and Rare) have said the game was a major success. What more do you need.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This is just terrible.

We know 5 million people either bought the game or played it via Gamepass (roughly). That's just as much a metric for success as the sales of God of War.

We don't know the retention rate of God of War (Doesn't matter that much since it's SP.) And we don't know the retention rate of SoT.

mpurrr

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
This is just terrible.

So.. you're saying we only know a games success by one figure and that figure is sales figures? Even if 50% of people only played God of War for an hour?

So we'll never know if GTSport is a success or not then I guess. We know its only had 5 million players and not sales. Dam shame.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I would love Rare to use SoT assets and make a single player campaign as a paid expansion. I think it would help a lot to invite more people to the game.

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017
Why does it matter to you how successful it is. MS(Phil Spencer and Rare) have said the game was a major success. What more do you need.

If anyone calls this number anything short of a success, then they're going to be criticized. I didn't come in this thread just to post " I'm not impressed " I came in here because I've seen people attack others for not being impressed with the number. There are things we don't know and it's understandable that people want more information before they call it a huge success.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's simple.

If 400k people wanted to try the games out on Game Pass within the past month and Sea of Thieves was one of those games, but they dropped after playing it for a few hours then number is not that great. It's good that they tried it, but it's not great.

If this were a "flash in the pan" situation where the game just released, it could make some sense. It's not though. We're about four months out, and the info we have shows ongoing influxes of new players month-to-month. And again, it's not a F2P game; These players reflect either a purchase, or a paid subscription.

You're constructing this premise that players must be immediately dropping the game (without explaining your basis), and presuming users must be heavily using free promo accounts (in a time frame where that would be unlikely), and creating this weird standard that a sale doesn't count if some number of players don't keep playing (which would apply to every game). If you understand why a standalone-only purchase is different from one that can also be part of a subscription, you should understand why your points have been received as so oddball.

If anyone calls this number anything short of a success, then they're going to be criticized. I didn't come in this thread just to post " I'm not impressed " I came in here because I've seen people attack others for not being impressed with the number.

The more labored your rationale explaining how seemingly good news must actually be bad, the more likely it'll be criticized by others. That's how things are, and how they should be.

Last edited: