• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
#2 on Top Paid in the US, but in many regions other than the US, it's #1 such as UK.

Thought this would be interesting data considering Game Pass is a thing now. Again, this is people paying for the game, not free Game Pass downloads.

DtutXTG.jpg

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/top-paid/games/xbox

EDIT:
We do. Gamepass downloads are not included in this list.

Last edited:

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Nice to see. Now for Rare to begin the live campaigns so we can see how long this game's legs really are.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Side note, but goat simulator??? Really??? Jeez

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i thought gamepass killed sea of thieves and sea of thieves killed gamepass though

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Quick note. Top paid gets updated a couple of times a week. So to get a full week of sales we need to wait until tuesday.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that Sea of Thieves isn't as great of a game as I hoped it would be. But hopefully now Microsoft is willing to give Rare some more resources to work on their next game, whatever it may be.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
It sucks that Sea of Thieves isn't as great of a game as I hoped it would be. But hopefully now Microsoft is willing to give Rare some more resources to work on their next game, whatever it may be.
Rare said their team is focusing on updating Sea of Thieves with big content updates every 3 months, first content drop is June (and might get spotlight at E3?)

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Haters really want this game to fail. It's great that this game became a huge success. Never doubt Rare!

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good :) lets hope they start throwing in some mystery's and quests in soon!

Populating the world a little more would be good :)

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
A heavily marketed new release—from a first-party studio, no less—is at the top of the sales charts during its first weekend on the market. Congrats to Rare on this unprecedented milestone. While I don't think GamePass is going to kill Xbox game sales like some people were expecting, it's a little too early to start celebrating.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude it's 2018, hardly any game at launch is what it is a year after launch.

It's just the beginning

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how much of that is spending 10 dollars for a month of game-pass?

It's definitely how I tried the game out and I won't be spending another 10 dollars to play it further.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
A heavily marketed new release—from a first-party studio, no less—is at the top of the sales charts during its first weekend on the market. Congrats to Rare on this unprecedented milestone. While I don't think GamePass is going to kill Xbox game sales like some people were expecting, it's a little too early to start celebrating.
Microsoft's first party efforts never get to #1 or #2 with the exception of Forza and Halo so it is worth celebrating to me.

Especially because everyone said sales would be DOA and wouldn't even make the NPD due to Game Pass.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Their "next game" is gonna be SoT for probably quite some years. :)

Pretty sure not all of Rare is on Sea of Thieves. So i'd expect we see something else from them.
There was that rumor of Perfect Dark and even if that ends up like Killer Instinct (another Dev team is the main handler). Rare probably
is helping out somewhat with that.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really think it would be bigger news if it wasn't. It's a major first party release. What else would be there?

deussupreme

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goat sim is a good time waster. I've been watching streams of Sea of Thieves, and regardless of the reviews, the game looks fun.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Rare said their team is focusing on updating Sea of Thieves with big content updates every 3 months, first content drop is June (and might get spotlight at E3?)

Their "next game" is gonna be SoT for probably quite some years. :)

Dude it's 2018, hardly any game at launch is what it is a year after launch.

It's just the beginning
Sure, and if support for SoT is their "next project" I hope Microsoft sees the game's early success despite mediocre reviews as a reason to give Rare the resources to turn the game into something incredible.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure that's how that list works? How do we know that doesn't include free downloads with Game Pass, considering the list itself literally says it's free with Game Pass, and clicking the actual link brings you to a page for the game where you can buy it for $60 or $0.

Subscription purchases don't count towards "Top Paid", only full game purchases.
Do we know that?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much of that is spending 10 dollars for a month of game-pass?

It's definitely how I tried the game out and I won't be spending another 10 dollars to play it further.

zero
games you get through gamepass are not sales
Are you sure that's how that list works? How do we know that doesn't include free downloads with Game Pass, considering the list itself literally says it's free with Game Pass, and clicking the actual link brings you to a page for the game where you can buy it for $60 or $0.

Do we know that?
yes
it's not a sale. it's a download.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Haters really want this game to fail. It's great that this game became a huge success. Never doubt Rare!

It's hardly a huge success yet. The game is devoid of any content and will likely sink like a rock in the coming weeks. I'm an Xbox only owner when it comes to consoles and hoped it would be a great game but Rare dropped the ball.

Oct 25, 2017
It's second place vs a paid version of a f2p game and 2015 joke game. Not sure this says a ton.
But it would be nice if this game did well enough to keep rare afloat, and keep shipping updates, so to speak.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this much of a surprise though? I mean, it's a heavily marketed first party title that just barely launched. Of course it would be up there.

It's going to be far more important that it stays up there in the coming weeks and months versus barely after launch.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ybarra said that ones on Twitter. Top paid are real sales not Gamepass downloads. Thats why there is also a free to play tab seperate.
Thats the reason we know "most played" is also total hours that week not players. :)

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft's first party efforts never get to #1 or #2 with the exception of Forza and Halo so it is worth celebrating to me.

Especially because everyone said sales would be DOA and wouldn't even make the NPD due to Game Pass.
Well, when you release those games in the Fall against the 3rd party AAA giants, that would do it.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like supporting innovation and creativity.

What is innovative about releasing an empty game with a few basic fetch quests, 1 enemy type and no progression system at all?

Seriously there's like nothing to the game at all to call it innovative lol. It's a make your own fun type of game, which is the opposite of innovation. They want you to be the innovative and creative one.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
They said they're going to have big content updates every 3 months starting in June and will update the game for years to come.

If you paid for the game, you will get all of those updates.
As someone who really wants this game to do well, I think they should figure out a way to fast track the first couple major content updates. While the game's doing great now, low review scores and a potentially poor WoM could hurt long term sales.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Drive-By / Inflammatory / Thread Derailing.
Person: The game is fun!

Era:

15275543_380958598910610_1727297514144530432_n.jpg

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
It's hardly a huge success yet. The game is devoid of any content and will likely sink like a rock in the coming weeks. I'm an Xbox only owner when it comes to consoles and hoped it would be a great game but Rare dropped the ball.

Twitch numbers are strong and steady. We'll have to wait for concrete sales numbers however all signs lead to the game being successful.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if I'm just missing it, but #1 over what length of time? For this month? This week? Today?

Because if it's just for this week, I fail to see how that's impressive at all considering it's a brand new big first party game that just released. If it beats Far Cry 5 next week, that would be impressive!