• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
My 7 year old had a go before crashed into a rock then sailed off without patching.

20 mins later she hops on this sloop thats parked i tell her to raise the sails and anchor and it drives into the beach. The owner starts swimming after it while it does circles and slowly sinks.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny to me, and I hate to be that guy, I always dislike when people do this, but I have to say:

This game is locked in the top 10 of Twitch since launch
Has over a million players in the first 48 hours
And is #2 on Top Paid games on XBL

Despite all the negativity on the forums (Crowbcat, review thread), we have a nice community here in the OT who genuinely love the game, despite its shortcomings, who also ACCEPT its faults, and just continues to enjoy the game. Kind of an interesting thing.

I cant wait till the first content drop and I hope Phil and team realize the potential, DESPITE THE METACRITIC, and give Rare the resources they need to drop content faster than initially intended.

Yeah, yet another thread that seems to shoot a flair in the air calling all anti-MS/Xbox/Sea of Thieves people. I am sick of people telling me and others that it is a waste of money, not worth the $60.00 etc. I have already gotten more hours into SoT that many single player games I have played over the last 2-3 years. I already got my entertainment value out of the game and I am still playing and I don't see that stopping anytime soon.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I am thankful they are being upfront with their customers but I already knew this going in. I only say that cause people keep comparing it to no mans sky but I don't see the relation at all. They never took features out or claimed you could do things that were false. This game was advertised appropriately, so much so it's funny how people serm to be confused about the game in it's current state.

Excuse me?

d0u5qlK.png

Or this video:

In which they showed the following things that never made it into the game:

16:29 - violin
26:52 - Joanna Dark and Banjo figureheads
29:26 - gold hoarder skeleton boss
30:00 - merpeople
31:25 - ghost pirates
33:05 - ghost ship

Oct 26, 2017
I am thankful they are being upfront with their customers but I already knew this going in. I only say that cause people keep comparing it to no mans sky but I don't see the relation at all. They never took features out or claimed you could do things that were false. This game was advertised appropriately, so much so it's funny how people serm to be confused about the game in it's current state.

I look forward to them nurturing this ip moving forward and giving me reasons to always come back. The foundation is incredible and even as is me, my wife, and many other friends have been hooked since launch night.

Well, yesterday someone posted an IGN article where they apparently had talked about several features that are not in the game right now. But for the most part I agree, they have been clear about their goal.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is the saddest part. But i bet my Game Pass copy, they'll include him at a later point.
Or maybe you need a Pirate Legend voyage.

Servers laggy for anyone else?

Also, anybody noticing a massive increase in PvP lately?
Yes, and loving it.
Well more other ship encounters. Some re friendly, tho.

The video's a stronger argument than the AMA answer. They were never gonna admit the kraken was as disappointing as it actually is, and instead of admitting--or denying--they tried to downplay it and pass it off as mysterious (which it is, but for that glitch that revealed the truth). They should have completely ignored the question, but still, as someone who professionally trades in the veracity of statements, this is barely a blip on the evidentiary radar.
100% agreed!

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me?

d0u5qlK.png

Or this video:

The video's a stronger argument than the AMA answer. They were never gonna admit the kraken was as disappointing as it actually is, and instead of admitting--or denying--they tried to downplay it and pass it off as mysterious (which it is, but for that glitch that revealed the truth). They should have completely ignored the question, but still, as someone who professionally trades in the veracity of statements, this is barely a blip on the evidentiary radar.

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am still really unsure if I will be sold on this when the game pass trial runs out. It's cool, but I don't think I'm going to be willing to drop $80 CAD on it.

I hope they are not losing too many sales because I'm sure there are people in the same situation.
The obvious allure to game pass is that you have access to multiple games. With games in Australia costing $100 a pop paying $120 a year for at the very least two triple A games is well worth it for me.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My whole crew got a message on screen:
"The world is changing, new dangers there be
Between boundless sky and treacherous sea
On rolling waves with sails unfurled
Ships come to plunder this new world"

What does it mean?

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Excuse me?

d0u5qlK.png

Or this video:

This isn't me making excuses cause obviously none of us know for fact, but being this is gaas isn't it likely most of that stuff is post launch or late game stuff?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

What does it mean?

I don't know, but when I was on Shipwreck bay I saw a Ghost Skeleton. I heard a sound behind be like a Skeleton coming out the ground. I turned around and it was a ghostly skeleton and then he slowly disappeared. He did not move around, he just disappeared in a slow manner. It was weird and I am not tripping. With that wording you and your team received, is it possible they can just add stuff like that on the fly?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Question...If I buy cosmetics for my Sloop, but then start a game with a Galleon, does the cosmetics move over to the Galleon as well?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This isn't me making excuses cause obviously none of us know for fact, but being this is gaas isn't it likely most of that stuff is post launch or late game stuff?

Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that AT LEAST this stuff, that was already shown, should be in the release version in the first place, there is no excuse in not having that there. They showed this stuff 2 freaking years ago and it isn't like the final version is packed with stuff....

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017

What does it mean?

You're changing server. Usually happens if there's no ships on your current one or if there are, they're too far away from you.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Was finally able to play a bunch today without the servers giving me an issue. My god this game is great. Can't stand the people I have run into so far though. Just constantly getting killed and people hovering around outposts. But, when I'm able to go on voyages and sail around it really is quite a relaxing and enjoyable game. This and Ni No Kuni 2 have made for a great weekend.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that AT LEAST this stuff, that was already shown, should be in the release version in the first place, there is no excuse in not having that there. They showed this stuff 2 freaking years ago and it isn't like the final version is packed with stuff....

They had priorities for launch. I think one of the producers said the goal was to get everything from the E3 2016 trailer in for launch. Pets and dinghies didn't make it, but I think everything else did.

If it wasn't ready for launch it wasn't ready for launch. As someone who was in the alpha since April of last year and in the pioneer sessions I can say they added and tweaked stuff pretty regularly, and sometimes they added stuff that made the game unstable and it would show up a few weeks later working properly, so I have no fear more stuff is coming soon.

Assume good intentions.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, but when I was on Shipwreck bay I saw a Ghost Skeleton. I heard a sound behind be like a Skeleton coming out the ground. I turned around and it was a ghostly skeleton and then he slowly disappeared. He did not move around, he just disappeared in a slow manner. It was weird and I am not tripping. With that wording you and your team received, is it possible they can just add stuff like that on the fly?

Dude same!
no one else on my crew saw it, thought it mighta been a bug

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a interesting video

https://youtu.be/xxZifyMexFk

Seems to be some cool stuff coming up. But he talks about gold skeletons as if they are already in the game. Are they? So far I've only seen normal ones.
I turned it off halfway, he's trying but he goes over stuff that is already in the game as if its coming later (like snake traps) Never mentions plant skeletons so his video is solely on prelaunch.

Here's what I know.

There have been figureheads, sails, and ship colors in the alphas that we have not seen yet. Meaning this assets exist, but aren't in. So they are either holding them off for legends, or they will be rotating in and out

There are more outfits we don't have either. The mysterious stranger one. The ones on the mannequins. One of the mannequin one looks to be tied to skeleton forts as it is decked out in bones and has a fort key looking skeleton head on it. I think this is gonna be endgame

They are planning live campaigns, which are time exclusives (aka this week or weekend only type deal) where events happen in the world or a new vendor appears, or something. They've said they can do a lot with these, such as change wind direction to funnel players somewhere, generate more storms, krakens, etc. Basically the world will change, there will be something new to do with rewards to get.

Speaking of vendors, they did tease a mysterious NPC that will come to the world. People assume this is blind bob. One of the current NPC's mentions something about him and keys and gates around wanderers refuge. In case you didn't know there are uncharted islands around the world (they tend to be in the middleish of the map) and they have strange altars and ruins. These were in the betas too. Nothing is in them right now... but they obviously are there for a reason. It's either endgame or live campaign themed.

Also, they have said that trading companies will "come and go" so we can expect more companies with more mission types to come in, and others to leave.

Ship captaincy is gonna be tailored around customizing your ship even further. Early on they toyed with a screenshot feature in the game where it would "paintify" the screenshot so you could "hang" it in your captain quarters. This is meant as a way to show players cool adventures or things you've done. The plaque above your ship will also allow you to NAME it.

The design director, mike, had a post on NPC's here are some choice quotes

"While the world itself will pose dangers to players on these kinds of Voyages, the shared nature of the game also provides a great deal of potential challenge. Players aware of the active trade routes may very well decide to sail in those waters, on the lookout for a prize to seize, whereas players carrying merchant cargo may avoid the known routes all together and keep a low profile."

(I wish merchant voyages felt like this...)

"Also, much like players, NPCs will come and go and rise and fall in influence as part of an ever changing world. As the origin of our Voyages, players will encounter groups of NPCs that represent different ways of play. Whether longer term you want to play Sea of Thieves as a lone explorer, a merchant, a black market smuggler or whatever else feels appropriate for this world, our aspiration to continue building Sea of Thieves with the community means that we can add additional content and areas of progression in an order that ensures maximum value to players. Even if you're a crew that favours predominantly PVP or PVE, our NPC's will be the gateway to progressing in these areas as part of the future progression plans."

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/7714/the-world-of-sea-of-thieves-and-an-npc-s-place-in-it/2

Honestly the tl;dr is... there should be more content and new ways to play, but its either being developed or in the wings. It's a controversial approach for sure, because some just want anything done to be put in the game right away. We'll have to see if the stream of content is fast enough.

It's nice to have a steady stream keeping the game fresh. And not something where you feel like you are waiting on major expansions for new content. But if the content isn't frequent enough then... game will struggle

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7 hours straight tonight and muscled our way into a Skull Fort with just two waves to go. Finished it off but the crew we sank came back and an epic battle took place once we had the loot out of the building. We eventually finished them off after losing our ship and one shipmate bringing it back. We made off with the loot but we were chased for ages, doing drive by drop offs at outposts. Fucking crazy game. It's so much fun, I just don't get how it's reviewing so badly!

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017

Rare can continue to add content but if they never address the question "why" (why am i doing this?) once the new factor wears off you're left with a bored player complaining online.

And you see that first hand with a lot of the reviews/streamers/players.

Normally games offset this feeling with a sense of power progression, which makes grindyness more tolerable.

I'd like to see Rare add more incentive for doing things in game, then continue to add more varied experiences.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
If i could get an invite to the SoT discord too id love it. Also feel free to add me if you want on Xbox (i play on PC too) Kayotix is tag in both spots #8046 (discord number).

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the lore book talks about cooking recipes. I can see that being added after different types of foods and animals are added.
Fishing has to be in..... I mean come on...
Darts, cards/ dice
Lots of other enemies

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Rare can continue to add content but if they never address the question "why" (why am i doing this?) once the new factor wears off you're left with a bored player complaining online.

And you see that first hand with a lot of the reviews/streamers/players.

Normally games offset this feeling with a sense of power progression, which makes grindyness more tolerable.

I'd like to see Rare add more incentive for doing things in game, then continue to add more varied experiences.
If i sit and think to myself...Okay would power progression help or hurt this game? They can't make it too powerful because the open nature of PvP in this game means newbies would just constantly be annihilated by players with stronger guns, ships etc. Would PvE really be better with the existing enemies being bullet sponges you need to level up to be able to one shot? I just don't see it adding anything more than "need to chase have to hit harder" I guess the fact that i have always chased fashion in game made this type of progression appealing to me but I just think they need more ways to get it. Have enemies drop cosmetics directly, or gold or xp when you kill them, different types of missions with more types of npc interactions and enemies etc.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I just streamed a chase with that lasted for over 2 hours, it was absolutely incredible. we chased them through storms, ship invasions, off the map and taking serious damage. we finally got them and managed to steal some of their loot. They had been jumping off the boat and cashing chests in over the 2 hours but we still managed to get a few grands worth and it was completely worth it. I don't think i've ever had an experience like that in any other game.

I adore it!

Before someone questions my "fun" - it should be 30 dollars / £25

7 hours straight tonight and muscled our way into a Skull Fort with just two waves to go. Finished it off but the crew we sank came back and an epic battle took place once we had the loot out of the building. We eventually finished them off after losing our ship and one shipmate bringing it back. We made off with the loot but we were chased for ages, doing drive by drop offs at outposts. Fucking crazy game. It's so much fun, I just don't get how it's reviewing so badly!

Hunter, meet the hunted.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost made off with someones Stronghold loot from under their noses but the fucking mermaid gave me away

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that we find is just kill on site...it stinks but was to be expected. We always try and interact with them prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.