• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40053

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 17, 2018
To those of you complaining about being spawn killed over and over again, scuttle your ships & you will spawn in an outpost away from bad guys with a new ship

Oct 27, 2017
I love the fucking around in this game and am enjoying it. I can't wait to see where they go with it.

Everyone has an opinion, I don't give two fucks either way for everyone else's.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
To add to this to be fair. The idea is to try and mitigate risky behavior, griefing etc. Like what they did with property destruction in GTA online. What we find, is that often it doesn't matter as if there aren't purchases to work towards and money to be spent (or of someone has already bought everything of interest) they become the ones who are effectively given a free ticket to terrorize or do risky behavior at will. In the theory the idea of monetary penalty is nice. In reality it's a short term solve at best. But early on in the game, I don't personally mind this. Later as I said it will likely not matter, at all. The problem is then later on, how do you address this and try other methods to prevent devolvement of the title into another KOS title. I truly believe that the only way around that, is having dangerous and unpredictable enough PVE elements that can interfere with your predictable gameplay loops. Things that interject in your experiences and throw off what would be rote. PVE is just as integral to emergent PVP type gameplay as other players are.

Elements like lots of cannons fire for instance might bring AI pirate ships into your area, as they are scouting for targets as well. So in addition to your 1v1 ship battle you tack on that element of sporadic kind of unknown element to battles. So if you're someone who's very aggressive, there's a stronger likely hood of being attacked by AI. (Maybe have Privateer bounty Hunter AI) or add Bounties to players that consistently hunt other pirates etc. Those are all better balancing practices that just monetary punishment and would make the game much more interesting.

I have a looooot of ideas for these kinds of games having played so many survival type totals with friends. And how you can improve the emergent gameplay an add an element of persistence and important to your character beyond the loot that's on your character and your temporary life.
That's just it. It's a system that will penalise those trying to engage with the game, and only serves to give the griefers an added inner glow because they know it is costing you, no matter how little.

It sets a completely different tone to the game, and not one I'm prepared to sink time into when I was planning to relax with it.

Like, if I've offloaded my chests and want to make a cup of tea and use the toilet before starting another quest, I'll actually have to leave the game and re-join afterwards to avoid being ganked, instead of just going AFK for 5 mins. Losing any bottle quests I've found on the way, and any knowledge I had of what was going on in the map around me. It's a terrible, terrible idea.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm a bad pirate.

Met a Galleon last night in my little sloop and pulled anchor before giving them a wave to see if they were friendly. And they didn't shoot, so i assumed they were.

When i was pulling out my instrument i heard a gun shot, so i quickly got on my cannon and fired at them with everything.

Looking back at the capture this morning i realized that i was the one that fired, i must have accidentally pressed the trigger button while going to the selection wheel. So i destroyed some friendly pirates :-(

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
That's just it. It's a system that will penalise those trying to engage with the game, and only serves to give the griefers an added inner glow because they know it is costing you, no matter how little.

It sets a completely different tone to the game, and not one I'm prepared to sink time into when I was planning to relax with it.

Like, if I've offloaded my chests and want to make a cup of tea and use the toilet before starting another quest, I'll actually have to leave the game and re-join afterwards to avoid being ganked, instead of just going AFK for 5 mins. Losing any bottle quests I've found on the way, and any knowledge I had of what was going on in the map around me. It's a terrible, terrible idea.

I don't think it's a terrible idea. I think it's an idea that needs to have a lot of conditions to implement. We will see if it's good/bad when we know what "avoidable" means.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "Phil Spencer is all talk" memes only get brought up in relation to Phil Spencer quotes, and it's a meme that carries some weight and credibility. He genuinely has over promised and under delivered several times, so of course many people are now skeptical of him or the things he has to say.

Also, in reference to the lack of Skull variety, there IS a lack of enemy variety in SoT. You getting hung up on semantics with respect to the different types of Skull enemies doesn't change that.

Again, it really does boil down to persecution complex analysis. Go in to the recent leaked God of War b roll footage thread. There were people saying the game was a copy of Last of Us, of Uncharted (plus references to these games being "walking simulators"), of Dark Souls, For Honor, saying the combat had no depth, that it was basically a game for people who just wanted to play a movie and didn't care about gameplay and all sorts.

This type of stuff happens with all platforms and games, you're likely seeing more of it with Microsoft centric games because that is your platform of choice, and because Microsoft generally or recently has had games that are sometimes rooted at a lower barometer of success and acclaim, thus are more privy to negativity.

Probably off topic but this is mostly bias not scepticism, any rational gamer cannot ignore how Phil has delivered on his big goals, his leadership has transitioned Xbox into a service geared for changes in attitudes currently taking place, generation-less machines, subscription based gaming, id argue Xbox is well ahead of its competition in that regard. Nitpicking on odd tweets here and there whilst dismissing real evidence of progress isnt what id call credible id call that tone-deaf. The fans wanted power, what does he do? He gave them the most powerful machine on the market that plays previous generation of games better then ever, that trumps any odd tweet about some special case partnership.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
The thing with Phil Spencer is that he talked much about things other people started at the beginningt of the generation, and now he deliver without talking any. Game Pass, Xbox One X, Exclusives arriving to game pass, all of this are things that he revelead by surprise, or not talked much till near the release.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The doom and gloom have already take all things related to the game, It's sad. Even if the game have some positive reviews and surely more to come, people are only to the negative ones right now.

Not really sure anyone cares what people on here who have never played the game or have any intention of playing it think. There are lots of people seemingly desperate to criticise any MS 1st party game. Not sure why. But it happens.

However it has absolutely no effect. The people doing it aren't interested in actual gaming and enjoying whatever games float their boat. They are just heavily invested in console wars. I actually feel sorry for them.

Oct 25, 2017
If they give you another penalty for dying on top of losing your ship or your collected treasure this game will die within three weeks. Random players or other players who don't want to be part of a crew will drop this game instantly.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I understand what you mean. You should keep complaining then, these changes are also the result of people voicing their discontent. I'm sure the base design decisions are going to be in flux for a while, until they manage to come up with systems that most people are comfortable with. Quitting the game over the first balancing acts, and recommending others to do so is a reaction that's a bit too harsh and premature, I would say.
I'll send some proper feedback to them, but the best they can see is that players stop playing when a change happens. As I said, it runs entirely counter to the relaxed atmosphere which has drawn me to the game thus far.

ShadowkillXNA

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably off topic but this is mostly bias not scepticism, any rational gamer cannot ignore how Phil has delivered on his big goals, his leadership has transitioned Xbox into a service geared for changes in attitudes currently taking place, generation-less machines, id argue Xbox is well ahead of its competition in that regard. Nitpicking on odd tweets here and there whilst dismissing real evidence of progress isnt what id call credible at all.

Except for the rational gamers who feel Spencer hasnt delivered anything meaningful. For me personally, ms hasn't done anything at all to make the xbox one a platform I want to play on.
Not a slam on the platform, it just doesn't hold anymore appeal than it did a few years ago for me.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Except for the rational gamers who feel Spencer hasnt delivered anything meaningful. For me personally, ms hasn't done anything at all to make the xbox one a platform I want to play on.
Not a slam on the platform, it just doesn't hold anymore appeal than it did a few years ago for me.

This is all off topic.

I'll send some proper feedback to them, but the best they can see is that players stop playing when a change happens. As I said, it runs entirely counter to the relaxed atmosphere which has drawn me to the game thus far.

How would they know the players are quitting due to the change? If they don't know, it won't matter.

The tax exists because a ton of people asked for it. It'll need to be balanced and they'll need feedback to do that, even if that balancing means the eventual removal of it. A random person or 3 quitting in the launch period when a ton of others are likely to do the same won't give them that feedback.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Really sad to see the completely negative vibe around this game. I've been having a lot of fun with it and I would hate for it to die before it can come to its full potential. It's maybe be a little bare bones but the foundation is really really good.

The world is amazing and it's has a great atmosphere. The ship and al the mechanic are flawless,responsive and satisfying.

I've got 20/18/15 and I'm not bored with it at all.

The world dus beg for more interaction. The crafting someone mentioned would be perfect and make exploring more rewarding and make the world feel a life. More animals like monkeys and colorful fish near the islands.

I hear Rare wants to deliver a big update in 3 months but that's is to far away. Maybe they should ditch the update roadmap and drop something when it's finished right away and keep people interested. They have to make a good start.

Ms should not give up on the game, and show that they are willing to give the game a fair chance.

What do you guys think. I thought i read some pioneers had acces to the potion store. What was it like. Should they bring it in.

What would you guys like to see rare doing?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I know it's a priate game but some sort of crime system would be neat. Like there are outposts for non-criminal (killing people) pirates and outposts for criminal pirates where no one is safe. Criminal pirate then would be attacked by NPC's and stuff like that.

MMOs did this already.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Had a situation yesterday that actually made me feel a bit guilty.

Buddy and I had just turned in our sweet skeleton fortress lot as we saw another boat coming towards the outpost. We waited in a building to ambush them and as we did the one carrying a captains chest, obviously some 10 year old kid, was screaming as if he was being tortured. He screamed and screamed as he ran, and just before he reached his boat again I finished him with a sniper shot...

Got a nice 1200 gold for it, but damn. Hope that kid keeps playing and returns the favor some day.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Random quests found in bottles and books should pay significantly more than quests purchased at islands.

And some quests should reward with cosmetics. Like skeleton hats and bone peg legs.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England

Buddy and I had just turned in our sweet skeleton fortress lot as we saw another boat coming towards the outpost. We waited in a building to ambush them and as we did the one carrying a captains chest, obviously some 10 year old kid, was screaming as if he was being tortured. He screamed and screamed as he ran, and just before he reached his boat again I finished him with a sniper shot...

Got a nice 1200 gold for it, but damn. Hope that kid keeps playing and returns the favor some day.

You just turned that kid to the darkside. Congratulations

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
In the context of a riddle, it's just one of the possible requirements to go to the next step. A riddle is usually several verses long, but at first you can only read the first one (usually telling you to which island to go), and each verse unlocks after completing the requirements of the previous one.

I see. Thanks.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've had message in a bottle quests that paid significantly more than regular ones. I don't know how the game determines the difficulty of those quests to be honest. Will you get level 25+ quests as a first time player?

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018

You monster ;) Damaging a little kid like that.

Played with a little kid yesterday,same age, like 10 years old an we had a good voyage. I helped him a lot and it was really funny to hear a kids reaction to the game.

You on the other hand. Just kiddin.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The game isn't dying within 3 weeks.
No, it'll probably be even more popular, because ganking random people in PvP is a popular thing.

Won't do anything at all for a healthy and fun community though. Why team up with randoms you meet on a server for some piratey fun when all it takes is an itchy trigger finger and you've lost your gold?
Sailing round solo between quests I've been actively approaching others to say hello, because death was only a time-penalty so it wasn't a problem if they turned out to be arseholes.

Namko

Oct 27, 2017

I know the feeling.. did it once(on day 1) and promised myself not to do it again for a while(I didn't find it funny enough). However, he will learn from it and I also learned to watch out for mermaids/other ships at the outpost before delivering my treasure.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
No, it'll probably be even more popular, because ganking random people in PvP is a popular thing.

Won't do anything at all for a healthy and fun community though. Why team up with randoms you meet on a server for some piratey fun when all it takes is an itchy trigger finger and you've lost your gold?
Sailing round solo between quests I've been actively approaching others to say hello, because death was only a time-penalty so it wasn't a problem if they turned out to be arseholes.

I think it's way too premature to forecast it either way without seeing the context and amounts. And I certainly don't see Rare cutting off solos for the sake of incentivizing PVP. So again, it'll need balancing.

I'll die when the servers are up and report back!

Last edited:

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Do the Skull clouds disappear once a fort has been completed? I had a situation before the break where i saw a ship sailing away from a fort, and the skull cloud remained. I didn't get chance to take a look to see if the vault had been looted.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Yoooo, when you get a good group going this game is amazing. I rolled with a PUG and one of the guys took the lead, voice chatting and typing out orders and everyone followed his command.
Using the d-pad commands worked really well in this situation.

So we ended up raiding people occupying a skeleton fortress and after a 20 minute battle we took off with looooads of booty. Back at the outpost I went from 0 to like 7 with most factions and went from broke to 10k gold. Loads of fun.

Then I tried my luck again with another group and was instantly thrown into the brig.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Really sad to see the completely negative vibe around this game. I've been having a lot of fun with it and I would hate for it to die before it can come to its full potential. It's maybe be a little bare bones but the foundation is really really good.

The world is amazing and it's has a great atmosphere. The ship and al the mechanic are flawless,responsive and satisfying.

The world dus beg for more interaction. The crafting someone mentioned would be perfect and make exploring more rewarding and make the world feel a life. More animals like monkeys and colorful fish near the islands.

I hear Rare wants to deliver a big update in 3 months but that's is to far away. Maybe they should ditch the update roadmap and drop something when it's finished right away and keep people interested. They have to make a good start.

Ms should not give up on the game, and show that they are willing to give the game a fair chance.

What do you guys think. I thought i read some pioneers had acces to the potion store. What was it like. Should they bring it in.

Are you really surprised an MS game has a negative vibe around here? Just enjoy the game man and don't let others bring you down.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
As a general reminder, the OT is used to discuss the game. If you had any other opinions regarding the platform, feel free to create a new thread.

OP
OP

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is this about a death penalty? I'm hesitant on it because the whole point of why this is so divisive is that the game is so open to your interpretation and there isn't a large degree of hand holding. By putting death penalties in that are too heavy handed you instantly kill PvP and putting in something too light is just a waste of resources. The current death penalty is only frustrating when camped because of the fact some still don't realise they can scuttle their ship to respawn it, thus removing the griefers ability to grief. If they do not get off that ship they are sinking with it, meaning its more annoyance for them then you.

The idea behind the PvP in this game is that you are "punished" by not being vigilant. The tools are there to keep your eyes peeled so if you fill your ship up to the brim with treasure but then refuse to keep an eye on it, well what pirate wouldn't steal that? Your penalty for dying is losing your treasure or ship. That is pretty damn significant and still enjoyable because it feels exhilarating being in combat and doing the action of PvP. Of course griefing is not fun, and to discourage that maybe we will see specific flag codes in the future to further improve that evolving landscape dialogue that is present in the game now. But a death penalty is something you have to be incredibly careful with, and I seriously think what we have right now is fine.

My only real issue with the current state of death is the obvious griefing element but I'm not sure introducing a death penalty will fix griefing as it will just happen in a different way. What I do think is more context sensitive elements could be introduced like the aforementioned flags or something that can socially show "hey I want to parlay" or something along those lines.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Do the Skull clouds disappear once a fort has been completed? I had a situation before the break where i saw a ship sailing away from a fort, and the skull cloud remained. I didn't get chance to take a look to see if the vault had been looted.

I don't remember exactly, but it either goes away when the boss is killed or when the key is used.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't really get how a death penalty does anything in this.
gold is entirely useless. it does nothing. whether you lose gold or not, what does it matter?
I guess people who care about sails or hats might cry when you kill them, no idea

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What is this about a death penalty? I'm hesitant on it because the whole point of why this is so divisive is that the game is so open to your interpretation and there isn't a large degree of hand holding. By putting death penalties in that are too heavy handed you instantly kill PvP and putting in something too light is just a waste of resources. The current death penalty is only frustrating when camped because of the fact some still don't realise they can scuttle their ship to respawn it, thus removing the griefers ability to grief. If they do not get off that ship they are sinking with it, meaning its more annoyance for them then you.

The idea behind the PvP in this game is that you are "punished" by not being vigilant. The tools are there to keep your eyes peeled so if you fill your ship up to the brim with treasure but then refuse to keep an eye on it, well what pirate wouldn't steal that? Your penalty for dying is losing your treasure or ship. That is pretty damn significant and still enjoyable because it feels exhilarating being in combat and doing the action of PvP. Of course griefing is not fun, and to discourage that maybe we will see specific flag codes in the future to further improve that evolving landscape dialogue that is present in the game now. But a death penalty is something you have to be incredibly careful with, and I seriously think what we have right now is fine.

My only real issue with the current state of death is the obvious griefing element but I'm not sure introducing a death penalty will fix griefing as it will just happen in a different way. What I do think is more context sensitive elements could be introduced like the aforementioned flags or something that can socially show "hey I want to parlay" or something along those lines.

It's mentioned at the bottom of some dev update. The more avoidable the death, the higher the penalty. No idea what the actual amounts are or how avoidable is defined. I think it's a good idea, but one that needs a ton of vigilance and balancing.

I don't really get how a death penalty does anything in this.
gold is entirely useless. it does nothing. whether you lose gold or not, what does it matter?
I guess people who care about sails or hats might cry when you kill them, no idea

Gold purchases the company unlocks necessary to get to legend. So if you care about that, it might matter.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
By the way, this happened to me yesterday.

I believe it's some weird server issue, and not a bug, since at the end of that second video I got booted off the server, and couldn't reconnect for a while. Last night I've also had my sloop turn over and sink out of the blue. I don't think it's been leaking, I checked for leaks a couple of times, and I couldn't find any that haven't been boarded up. At first I thought it was the Kraken, but there was no sign of it anywhere around. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Agree. They should've tried to give the scuttle ship option some more attention. I can't think of a way to punish death without punishing solo players too much. Interested to see what they come up with.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
What I do think is more context sensitive elements could be introduced like the aforementioned flags or something that can socially show "hey I want to parlay" or something along those lines.
It's just like my mom always told me: "are those bullies picking on you? You should wear your Barney shirt so they know you love them and just want to be their friend"

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think the white flag above the sails could change depending on how frequently you kill other pirates. At least then i'll know if you're a higher risk or not before encountering you.

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Why is it sad?

If you enjoy it, good for you. But the game clearly is very divisive and people who don't like it really don't like it, and figure out that they don't like it fast.

I'm usually on the same wavelength as most of the giant bomb crew and they put it best - " the majority of this game is walking to and from your ship to move objects or items around". The game just feels incredibly shallow and gives no real incentive to continue or any feeling of mystery about what can be found.

I get that the game is about emergent gameplay between groups of players but it feels so, so, so limited when you look at it even in comparison to a single player game like breath of the wild that aims to have emergent "not designed" games play moments created in it's world and sandbox.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
First Update point detailed - death will have a more impactful meaning soon:
Ooo nice.
The biggest thing I'm taking from this is that the game has been out 2 days and we're already seeing updated changes to the game. Rare need to keep this up.

Id really like to see more ship options in the future. Cannon skins, wheel skins, lantern skins, barrel skins. For a game that focuses on sideways progression they need to have lots of options.
expect weekly updates, that's how it was in the alpha.

I have actually already seen changes in the first 2 days. Notification on where to get a crate for a Merchant Alliance Voyage for instance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.