• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Ugh I wish they would just flip the switch and allow all PS5 players access now dang it!

Also the OP might need cleaning up since it still lists and mentions the Arena mode and whatnot 😆

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Just did the maiden voyage. I'm a first timer swabby :) Going to do a few tall tales etc in safer seas to get my sea legs.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Great to see this on the main page, I can't wait to here stories from the new PS5 additions.

I finally finshed the last Monkey Island tall tale with a couple of buds this weekend, loved it, can't wait for the new toys in the new season.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Tips for new players:

-If you're going directly into the wind your sails should be horizontal with your ship.
-Into the wind the smaller the ship the faster it goes.
-Wind to the back the bigger the ship the faster it goes.

ie if you're in a sloop and a brig/galleon is targeting you, go into the wind with your sails horizontal and you'll outrun them.

-When you first join, check the ship map for any reapers or ships flying pirate flag this may influence if you want to fly an emissary flag (lvl 5 reapers can see emissary flag ships on their map). Also at each emissary npc, there will be a small map that might have ship figures on it indicating how many ships are running emmisary flags for it. It's a good way to see what players running non-reaper flags which means less chance of PvP.
-On that note, always try to run emmisary flags. Even with the chance of being seen on the map, the amount you make from reaching lvl 5 emmisary is worth it, try not to cash in until you get lvl 5.
-Gold Hoarders emmisary is great way to start learning how to do quests.
-Chainshot is OP, always make sure to get as much as you can and learn to aim for their masts.
-With cannonballs aim as low as their bow as possible, especially against galleons. Putting holes in their upper deck can do very little unless the seas are rough.
-Learn the swordlunge/dive technique. It propels you through the water very quickly. Basically you charge you sword lunge attack before hopping into the water and let go as you hit the water.
-Buy a storage chest from the merchant quest giver, use this to "loot" supplies from barrels on islands the fastest. Feel free to buy wood/cannonball/food chests too, but the storage chest is the most important. I'll say wood chests are a must for a galleon to put them on the bottom deck.
-Blunderbombs have a pushback effect, they're great for getting boarders off your ship.
-Lastly, don't get attached to loot or your current objective. Realize whatever objective you start you begin your session with is only the catalyst for your adventure, and the unexpected and emergant gameplay is where the game really shines. Don't be afraid to deviate from whatever mission/quest you're on.

Last edited:

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Tips for new players:

-If you're going directly into the wind your sails should be horizontal with your ship.

ie if you're in a sloop and a brig/galleon is targeting you go into the wind with your sails horizontal. You'll outrun them.

-When you first join, check the map for any reapers or ships flying pirate flag. Also at each emissary npc, there will be a small map that might have ship figures on it indicating how many ships are running emmisary flags for it. It's a good way to see what players running non-reaper flags means less chance of PvP.
-On that note, always try to run emmisary flags. Even with the chance of being seen on the map, the amount you make from reaching lvl 5 emmisary is worth it, try not to cash in until you get lvl 5.
-Chainshot is OP, always make sure to get as much as you can and learn to aim for their masts.
-Aim as low as their bow as possible, especially against galleons. Putting holes in their upper deck can do very little unless the seas are rough.
-Learn the swordlunge/dive technique. It propels you through the water very quickly. Basically you charge you sword lunge attack before hopping into the water and let go as you hit the water.
-Blunderbombs have a pushback effect, they're great for getting boarders off your ship.
-Lastly, don't get attached to loot or your current objective. Realize whatever objective you start you begin your session with is only the catalyst for your adventure, and the unexpected and emergant gameplay is where the game really shines. Don't be afraid to deviate from whatever mission/quest you're on.
I've been playing since day 1…these are excellent tips for new players!!

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Open Crew is not available on any platform on ps5 during the early access period. Odd choice that also means there will be a lot of solo PS pirates on the seas this weekend before the S12 update.

EDIT: Open Crew not on any platform.

Last edited:

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Tips for new players:

ie if you're in a sloop and a brig/galleon is targeting you, go into the wind with your sails horizontal and you'll outrun them.

-When you first join, check the ship map for any reapers or ships flying pirate flag this may influence if you want to fly an emissary flag (lvl 5 reapers can see emissary flag ships on their map). Also at each emissary npc, there will be a small map that might have ship figures on it indicating how many ships are running emmisary flags for it. It's a good way to see what players running non-reaper flags which means less chance of PvP.
-With cannonballs aim as low as their bow as possible, especially against galleons. Putting holes in their upper deck can do very little unless the seas are rough.
-Buy a storage chest from the merchant quest giver, use this to "loot" supplies from barrels on islands the fastest. Feel free to buy wood/cannonball/food chests too, but the storage chest is the most important. I'll say wood chests are a must for a galleon to put them on the bottom deck.

Great tips, especially don't get attached to your loot. Everyone sinks, loses loot, takes the L sometimes. Get comfortable with that and shrug it off. There's always more gold in the sea.

On that note, if you get attacked, fight back! It'll be good practice even if you lose. Don't just run off the map.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was last playing, they were talking about doing some stuff to make shorter game sessions more viable... did anything happen with that? With Arena gone, is there an under-an-hour play session that's worth it these days?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by "sails horizontal to your ship?"

Your sails are always horizontal. Do you mean rotate the sails to match the wind streaks direction?

The top-left diagram. It was really counter-intuitive, atleast to me when I first started playing, that you'd adjust the sails like that into the wind for the fastest speed.

t9lCQ0JCqw5M5HSMSaWtR7ZE0Y0UmcWAzfCYu1ShkZw.jpg

I remember when I was last playing, they were talking about doing some stuff to make shorter game sessions more viable... did anything happen with that? With Arena gone, is there an under-an-hour play session that's worth it these days?

Don't know when you last played, but last time I did they introduced a lot of things to make the start-up and end of the journey a lot faster. Being able to buy a storage chest, buying prefilled food/cannonball/wood chests then the ability to drop off loot at a place that accepts all emissaries and has a harpoon.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know when you last played, but last time I did they introduced a lot of things to make the start-up and end of the journey a lot faster. Being able to buy a storage chest, buying prefilled food/cannonball/wood chests then the ability to drop off loot at a place that accepts all emissaries and has a harpoon.

Some of that was what I remember as coming soon! Sounds like all that could help a lot especially on Galleons. Hmmmm

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Not home to check and hopefully it's a reddit joke I'm missing but...they really didn't take a cannon away from the sloop to just 1 right? 😂

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this today with a friend, it's a fun enough game and I think we can find some fun in it but we already have had 3 occasions of someone just using a canon to shoot themselves onto our ship and it's boring as fuck. Like I get it, there's ways to "counter it" but it's absolutely boring as fuck when we haven't encountered a single player on a ship who starts a fight and actually wants to have a ship battle which honestly was one of the few things we thought would make for a fun time on this game playing together. If it's going to be endless just boarding ships instead that's a drag that's going to make us not even bother with trying any actual pvp stuff and probably limit our entire playtime of the game overall.

Still, willing to give it some time and see if things get better because it seems like there's fun to be had.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Started playing this today with a friend, it's a fun enough game and I think we can find some fun in it but we already have had 3 occasions of someone just using a canon to shoot themselves onto our ship and it's boring as fuck. Like I get it, there's ways to "counter it" but it's absolutely boring as fuck when we haven't encountered a single player on a ship who starts a fight and actually wants to have a ship battle which honestly was one of the few things we thought would make for a fun time on this game playing together. If it's going to be endless just boarding ships instead that's a drag that's going to make us not even bother with trying any actual pvp stuff and probably limit our entire playtime of the game overall.

Still, willing to give it some time and see if things get better because it seems like there's fun to be had.
like just blasting cannons at each other until someone wins or loses? The odds of that happening are slim because then it's just a war of attrition on who has more planks and cannonballs. I feel like that would be more boring than anything.

But I understand getting annoyed/bored if someone boards and just spawn camps you as you sink. But some kind of boarding and disruption is almost necessary to win a battle in order to drop an anchor or disrupt repairs.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
like just blasting cannons at each other until someone wins or loses? The odds of that happening are slim because then it's just a war of attrition on who has more planks and cannonballs. I feel like that would be more boring than anything.

But I understand getting annoyed/bored if someone boards and just spawn camps you as you sink. But some kind of boarding and disruption is almost necessary to win a battle in order to drop an anchor or disrupt repairs.

That would be fine if they fired even a single canon, they don't, it's just board and that's it. It's boring in the exact same way, it's a war of attrition of how long they can burn your ship and just spawn kill you over and over while your ship burns to nothing. I just feel that the aim should be a mixture of both and as it is, that doesn't seem to have any incentive to happen when boarding ends it instantly without the need for canons and stuff. Hey if that's how they want it, that's fine, they are welcome to design the game how they wish, it just isn't something we are going to play long term and that's fine, we'll hop off and play other games instead after a few weeks.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Think of every encounter as practice to better know how to deal with that situation in the future. As you play more you'll recognize the signs you're about to be boarded. You'll see mermaids in the water or hear swimmers swimming/grabbing the ladder, and you can shoot/blunderball them off or blunderbuss them once they reach the top. Boarders are top priority—if you were on cannons, repairing, or doing anything else, it is vital to deal with a boarder first. Water can get up to the map table before you sink so even any holes are secondary to removing a boarding player.

Always have a weather eye on the horizon because once a ship gets close enough for someone to board and your ship isn't already moving and you're ready to take on boarding attempts or disable the other boat... that's on you.

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
Do Xbox achievements also unlock on PS5 at the same time as trophies since a Microsoft account is required? On Steam, both Steam and Xbox achievements unlock at the same time.

edit- Looks like Xbox achievements do unlock on PS5.

Last edited:

Repealing boarders is not that hard once you know what to look out for, and once you do that you get a good crew advantage for a good moment to keep on pressing with cannonballs, firebombs and blunderbombs can give you the win. If you get the hang of your weapons, harponing an opponent to your boat to kill them is a great strategy, good enough that crews stack crates around their cannons to avoid the cannoner that have to be static while loading and shotting from being yoinked.

So I get it's not the most fun style to play for some people, but it is a risk that your opponents are taking by playing it, so you just need to press your advantage.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just installed this on my PS5, ready to do some PS sailing with my regular crew this weekend!

So happy to see so many new pirates hitting the seas. It's the best game.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for all the fresh sailors joining in.

I even double dipped on PS5 (own Steam version)

Hyped for the double flintlock pistol and throwing knives as well

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I forgot how many cosmetics there are to purchase with gold, let alone with the premium currency. I have to resist and save up for a sloop.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Repealing boarders is not that hard once you know what to look out for, and once you do that you get a good crew advantage for a good moment to keep on pressing with cannonballs, firebombs and blunderbombs can give you the win. If you get the hang of your weapons, harponing an opponent to your boat to kill them is a great strategy, good enough that crews stack crates around their cannons to avoid the cannoner that have to be static while loading and shotting from being yoinked.

So I get it's not the most fun style to play for some people, but it is a risk that your opponents are taking by playing it, so you just need to press your advantage.

I was actually thinking of capturing some snakes and putting them near my ladder to shoot venom at them when they try and board just for laughs haha, but yeah while I wish it was more of a boat battling focus the rest of the games loop is fun so we are enjoying the game even if we are battling less :) I had the random kraken encounter last night and that was a fun time.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Did anyone else have issues with the trophies auto popping when you first logged in with existing Xbox progress? I have the achievements for all the tall tales and commendations completed, plus A Pirate's Life. Only about two thirds of those achievements popped as trophies though. I also have a couple trophies related to commendations and reputation that didn't unlock. Some of them are definitely repeatable, like just redoing tall tales. Some however, like say, being awarded the commendation for completing 250 Gold Hoarders voyages, I don't know if I can repeat?

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Did anyone else have issues with the trophies auto popping when you first logged in with existing Xbox progress? I have the achievements for all the tall tales and commendations completed, plus A Pirate's Life. Only about two thirds of those achievements popped as trophies though. I also have a couple trophies related to commendations and reputation that didn't unlock. Some of them are definitely repeatable, like just redoing tall tales. Some however, like say, being awarded the commendation for completing 250 Gold Hoarders voyages, I don't know if I can repeat?
I haven't been able to go through all of them but yeah the trophy stuff seems really sporadic. I didn't do a ton on the Xbox version though and I haven't wrapped my head around how the new quest system works yet so I'm sure if I should have trophies that I don't or not.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I was actually thinking of capturing some snakes and putting them near my ladder to shoot venom at them when they try and board just for laughs haha, but yeah while I wish it was more of a boat battling focus the rest of the games loop is fun so we are enjoying the game even if we are battling less :) I had the random kraken encounter last night and that was a fun time.
Naval battles are ultimately "cause enough micromanagement for the other ship so they cant easily deal with the water rushing in" Ideally people would be trying to get your masts down with a chain shot, used curse cannonballs or firebombs if they have them all in an effort to cause extra problems on your boat to distract from the holes they're making with either cannonfire or kegs in addition to boarding. Its just for some people, the boarding is the fun part so thats all they try to do.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Naval battles are ultimately "cause enough micromanagement for the other ship so they cant easily deal with the water rushing in" Ideally people would be trying to get your masts down with a chain shot, used curse cannonballs or firebombs if they have them all in an effort to cause extra problems on your boat to distract from the holes they're making with either cannonfire or kegs in addition to boarding. Its just for some people, the boarding is the fun part so thats all they try to do.

Yeah I get that some folks enjoy that rush style, it is what it is. Ideally for me it would have some way of forcing it to be a mixture of both, like maybe boarding other people's boats isn't possible until enough damage has been done first via naval combat, though that obviously raises its own issues. At the end of the day, it is what it is, the game seems to be a lot more about making your own fun than a set way of playing and for those who enjoy just getting off the boat and onto others boats asap that's what they enjoy.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Can't wait to play when I get home. Excited to play on PS5 this weekend. Didn't try the early access so this will be my first real time with the game.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
The top-left diagram. It was really counter-intuitive, atleast to me when I first started playing, that you'd adjust the sails like that into the wind for the fastest speed.

t9lCQ0JCqw5M5HSMSaWtR7ZE0Y0UmcWAzfCYu1ShkZw.jpg

That is really weird and it doesn't make any sense. If you're with square sails having them horizontal with wind forward-facing would never work.
Ive been putting them to the side all this time!

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
If I'm going north and the wind is blowing south, how does that not create drag when the sails can fully catch that push in the opposite direction?
They're not catching cuz they don't curve that way, so wind goes around the convex sails

I dunno if real life physics work like that lol, it's just how I interpret what happens in the game

gholas

Nov 13, 2020
Really enjoying the game but none of my friends have gotten it. If anyone on here is ever looking to group up for some newer player shenanigans let me know.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Why do i have to permanently tie my PSN to a microsoft account? Why cant i link an account and then be able to easily unlink it after?

I guess because if the game was a mixture of different account types it'd be an absolute mess when it came to anything social in the game (chatting, inviting friends, guild invites etc).

The sensible thing is to have everyone using the same account type so it's completely universal. It keeps everything in sync and means that everyone has full cross-play, cross-save and cross-progression, plus access to every social interaction.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So I'm just jumping in again after having not touched the game since months after it first launched. Why is open sailing or whatever it's called disabled until the new season begins?

I don't have friends that play Sea of Thieves so I guess I'm just SOL?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So I'm just jumping in again after having not touched the game since months after it first launched. Why is open sailing or whatever it's called disabled until the new season begins?

I don't have friends that play Sea of Thieves so I guess I'm just SOL?
Due to a bug with Open Crew matchmaking. It'll be back in 4 days. If you're on Xbox you can use Xbox LFG and get invitations that way as inviting for crews still works

Oct 25, 2017
My friends like open chat so they can talk to other players.(why I don't know, it's mostly slurs and racist comments from other people) I prefer party chat so if we sneak aboard or anchor them no one can hear us. Is there a way to do both? Does push to talk let you freely talk to friends but you gotta push to talk to everyone? Or is it push for everyone? Xbox

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My friends like open chat so they can talk to other players.(why I don't know, it's mostly slurs and racist comments from other people) I prefer party chat so if we sneak aboard or anchor them no one can hear us. Is there a way to do both? Does push to talk let you freely talk to friends but you gotta push to talk to everyone? Or is it push for everyone? Xbox
Unsure, but in case you didn't know you can use the megaphone to talk far away but alt-fire it to turn it around and basically whisper.

beebop

May 30, 2023
No. This is a bugbear of mine, where the game needs a button bind to switch between crew chat and open chat on consoles that isn't dependent on proximity. PC players have way more flexibility with other audio tools, which console players don't have.

But that's more for strategic play, where I don't want the other crews to hear us chat while we're tucking or communicating in a fight. I'd absolutely disagree with "mostly open slurs". You definitely have some toxic players, but like all these things it's probably a minority that lingers in the memory more than regular people. I've had more really great experiences with other crew chat than not.

Oct 25, 2017
No. This is a bugbear of mine, where the game needs a button bind to switch between crew chat and open chat on consoles that isn't dependent on proximity. PC players have way more flexibility with other audio tools, which console players don't have.

But that's more for strategic play, where I don't want the other crews to hear us chat while we're tucking or communicating in a fight. I'd absolutely disagree with "mostly open slurs". You definitely have some toxic players, but like all these things it's probably a minority that lingers in the memory more than regular people. I've had more really great experiences with other crew chat than not.
Yeah that is annoying with not being able to swap talking. I prefer sneak and just to make sure no one else can hear me. Oh well

You must have way better luck than us with nice people. I say we get a nice crew 1 outta 8 times. Last week we played music with a few guys after we sunk them but 20 min later a crew called us dickhead assholes .

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah that is annoying with not being able to swap talking. I prefer sneak and just to make sure no one else can hear me. Oh well

You must have way better luck than us with nice people. I say we get a nice crew 1 outta 8 times. Last week we played music with a few guys after we sunk them but 20 min later a crew called us dickhead assholes .

Yep, that's Sea of Thieves! At least on PlayStation you can hear game chat while you're in a Discord call (not sure about a party but I would imagine it's the same). I prefer to be nice until a crew gives me a reason not to.