• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 26684

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It might be a bit expensive for what it actually is, but everything I've heard about the remake seems sound enough.

Igarashi was asked why Bloodstained wasn't pixel based, and he explained that since most Japanese developers have moved on from spritework due to technical advancements. So finding people who still know this art form is harder and more expensive, and also puts restrictions on what the company can do with the final product later down the road without bringing those people back in again. He also said there's issues with scaling and resolution, that porting a polygon based game between so many different platforms is easier and more cost efficient.

Japanese developers have always been interested in polygons over pixels, thinking of the former as a way of moving forward. There doesn't seem to be a retro movement or much love for old-school pixel graphics in Japan like there is in the west.
This post is important and everyone should read it.

Deleted member 26462

Oct 30, 2017
I don't expect a good reception for the game.

The remake is faithful to the original but it seems lazy as fuck.

Also, the gameplay aged very bad in comparison to other arpgs from SNES, like Terranigma or even Secret of Evermore, which by the way is better than SoM imho, both gameplay and content.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It might be a bit expensive for what it actually is, but everything I've heard about the remake seems sound enough.

This post is important and everyone should read it.

It's an interesting post but it's not like Japan has abandoned pixel art. Look at Octopath. Or even Mario Odyssey.

Deleted member 26684

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Odyssey, and the vast majority of jabs at pixel art in high-profile Japanese games, usually come from long-running series that look back over years and years of specific designs such as Super Mario Bros. sprites or Final Fantasy job sprites.

Octopath Traveler is a very rare and dangerous attempt at attempting to appeal to a love of old-style graphics directly, western-style, rather than something like the above or just a port of an older game. I'm personally excited, but I don't know if it'll work... anywhere, actually. That aside, the premise reminds me slightly of Unlimited Saga.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I heard :).

I think the way you can recruit Primm was maybe part of the choices you have to do to get a different ending.

Secret of Mana with time travel elements would have been awesome. There's a dungeon where you randomly stumbles into the ruins of a subway with zombies and stuff. I wonder if the plan was to be able to see that lost city in the past, before the Mana war destroyed it.