• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

It's called the

• Genesis

Votes: 348 46.5%
  • Mega Drive

Votes: 401 53.5%

• Total voters

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
As far as I know, SoJ wanted to release the Mini with the 6-Button controller.

It was the American/European branches that insisted on the 3-Button controller.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I really like it so far. Tons of games I would've wished were on it, but hey. 42 isn't bad, and there are som really good ones. Great design too.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
The controller thing really is a shame. I lean more towards it being a deal between them and retrobit and less about nostalgia. I mean Street Fighter II is on there. Why the fuck would you do that to people? If you want to argue about the nostalgia of the 3 button controller okay, but the Mega Drive released a few years earlier in Japan so their nostalgia for the 3 button controller should be just as rabid as any American, right? It is what it is.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The controller thing really is a shame. I lean more towards it being a deal between them and retrobit and less about nostalgia. I mean Street Fighter II is on there. Why the fuck would you do that to people? If you want to argue about the nostalgia of the 3 button controller okay, but the Mega Drive released a few years earlier in Japan so their nostalgia for the 3 button controller should be just as rabid as any American, right? It is what it is.

The guys putting together the system had two difference audiences in mind--the Genesis/Mega Drive was a mainstream success overseas so that version pushed hard on popular/nostalgic choices, whereas the Mega Drive had a more niche audience in Japan so they made decisions with the hardcore audience in mind.

The Japanese producers also seem surprised that overseas reviews keep singling out the 3-button controller as a point of contention, so I think they genuinely believed people were going to prefer the 3-button pad. (There was enough demand for it in Japan that they got their own 3-button pad, even.)

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
There isn't an excuse that I can think of for the 3-button controller that doesn't involve the desire to sell more 6-button controllers separately.

Any producer who genuinely believes that anyone would prefer the former on a system that includes Street Fighter II, while also crippling its use as a general purpose USB PC controller, should not be making major decisions for these products.

Like... I think I'd prefer that this decision be made out of a motivation to sell more peripherals. That's cynical, but it at least also makes some business sense.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
There isn't an excuse that I can think of for the 3-button controller that doesn't involve the desire to sell more 6-button controllers separately.

Any producer who genuinely believes that anyone would prefer the former on a system that includes Street Fighter II, while also crippling its use as a general purpose USB PC controller, should not be making major decisions for these products.

Like... I think I'd prefer that this decision be made out of a motivation to sell more peripherals. That's cynical, but it at least also makes some business sense.

Well when I say "genuinely believe" I think they were convinced of its popularity by the overseas branches and are surprised to find out it wasn't the case, but that's not to say the overseas branches didn't have an ulterior motive, or that everyone involved isn't just bullshitting.

shallone

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
The nes and snes are much better than this and were handled better. They are better more robust packages.

1. Heavy input lag on the menu
2. Audio lag unacceptable
3. Sold with a controller that doesn't properly support everything.
4. Replacement controllers from retrobit dont fully support game button combinations.

Sega doesnt do better here and have messed it up badly that only hacking can save it. More games doesnt mean better if they cant be played to an acceptable level as other sources.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
We played with ours a fair bit at the weekend and came to the conclusion that the games list looked better on paper than it does in action. There's a lot of umming and ahhhing on the title screen until we pick one of the few games that are really stand out. VF2 will never not be a wasnted slot on these compilations - it's terrible and looks like a Master System game. Tetris is a cute idea, but it's hardly the best version and it's value is surely in the physical cart itself not a ROM. The Mega Man game also sticks out like a sore thumb - I would've preferred Quackshot or Rocket Knight Adventures just off the top of my head. Gain Ground is a sore exclusion for me too.

I also thought the menus were kind of big and ugly - I think they could've stuck to the same design but made the overall UI niftier and with a better use of space - a way to make the box art smaller and fit more on the screen would've been nice (something like how the 3DS menu works). It irks me to press A to confirm everything, my fingers always want to use C or start.

The two Wonder Boy games are still fantastic, it's a joy to play MW4 officially. I recently completed PS4 so will not be hoping back in to that just yet, but it's also a great inclusion. I didn't experience any lag or anything, but maybe I'm just not perceptive enough to that kind of thing, I was happy with responsiveness of the controllers in game.

As far as I know, SoJ wanted to release the Mini with the 6-Button controller.

It was the American/European branches that insisted on the 3-Button controller.
This seems nuts to me. SF2 is unplayable.

Apr 21, 2018
We played with ours a fair bit at the weekend and came to the conclusion that the games list looked better on paper than it does in action
Well, many people on this thread warned gamers that the western mini was just good, not as excellent as asian or Japanese mini: Bad inclusions like Alex Kid, Altered Beast, Virtua Fighter 2 are switched into Treasure's masterpieces like Yuyu Hakusho, MUSHA(compile)...

Definitely Asians mini games list play as good as it looks on the paper. Especially for those who thought Street Fighter was the top of Snes/Genesis fighting games...

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Am I correct in assuming that the official Sega six-button controllers are sold separately in Japan?
They are.

Well, many people on this thread warned gamers that the western mini was just good, not as excellent as asian or Japanese mini: Bad inclusions like Alex Kid, Altered Beast, Virtua Fighter 2 are switched into Treasure's masterpieces like Yuyu Hakusho, MUSHA(compile)...

Definitely Asians mini games list play as good as it looks on the paper. Especially for those who thought Street Fighter was the top of Snes/Genesis fighting games...
I got the JP version out of convenience though I prefer the Asian version game list (gotta put Alien Soldier on mine ASAP).

And I'd previously only played SFIICE on a 3-button pad in the states. Playing it for the first time on the 6-button pad was sweet and plays so smoothly.

Fudo Myo

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone managed to get any other USB controllers to work with the Mini? I don't mean hacking, just out-of-the-box plug-and-play. I tried some d-input generic 6-button Mega Drive USB controllers that I use for PC; didn't work.

I tried my Mayflash F500 Elite in all modes: X-input, D-input, and pass through. Didn't work. Pass through showed some signs of life, but I think it's more of a power issue than compatibility. It seemed the the Mini couldn't give up enough juice to power the fight stick.

Anyone try anything else?

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I tried my Dualshock 4 and Xbox 360 controllers and they were no good.

I think somebody in this thread (or somewhere else?) said the Mini can technically read input from any HID-compliant controllers, but there's a special whitelist built in to the console so it only really works with the select few (the ones that came with the system, and the Retrobit controllers)

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone managed to get any other USB controllers to work with the Mini? I don't mean hacking, just out-of-the-box plug-and-play. I tried some d-input generic 6-button Mega Drive USB controllers that I use for PC; didn't work.

I tried my Mayflash F500 Elite in all modes: X-input, D-input, and pass through. Didn't work. Pass through showed some signs of life, but I think it's more of a power issue than compatibility. It seemed the the Mini couldn't give up enough juice to power the fight stick.

Anything not included with the genesis mini or from Retrobit won't work. They are blocking generic controllers from working. Your best bet is buying the 8bitdo adapter when they upgrade it to support the genesis mini.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's a retro system selling on nostalgia. Many, many, many more people remember the 3 button Genesis controller than the 6-button. It's how most people played games on the Genesis. While the 6 button can replicate the functionality of the 3-button, the large size of those 3 buttons makes it quite a different experience.

They didn't choose the better controller for playing games, they chose the one people will have nostalgia for.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It irks me to press A to confirm everything, my fingers always want to use C or start.
The confirm button in Genesis games was always all over the place, so I find it strange that anyone would have any expectations for that going into a product like this. Doesn't the confirm button change continually in Contra: Hard Corps? As much as I prefer the three-button or six-button layout of Sega's controller's, I have to say that it's a flawed layout in the sense that it doesn't encourage consistency in certain regards. For example, in Contra: Hard Corps, I definitely prefer to shoot with B and jump with C, since having the A button so close to the shoot button is important to how that game plays. That said, I prefer to attack with A and jump with B in Castlevania: Bloodlines, since it's easier to access your sub-weapons with the C button.

This seems nuts to me. SF2 is unplayable.
Yeah, honestly, this is my main gripe with the same selection. Aside from the Genesis version of any given Street Fighter game not being the ideal means of playing it now, it just seems like a bad decision to include any game that makes proper use of the six-button controller.

It's a retro system selling on nostalgia. Many, many, many more people remember the 3 button Genesis controller than the 6-button. It's how most people played games on the Genesis. While the 6 button can replicate the functionality of the 3-button, the large size of those 3 buttons makes it quite a different experience.

They didn't choose the better controller for playing games, they chose the one people will have nostalgia for.
The three-button Genesis controller is one of my all-time favorite controllers. I feel as though people seem to forget that it works perfectly with 99% of the games released on Genesis, and I agree that the choice in games on the Mini is a bit unfortunate in that regard. The size of the buttons on the three-button controller and their close proximity to one another makes the three-button Genesis controller very versatile. I wish developers had a better handle on this earlier in the system's life, as I think it could've changed the way the three-button controller was viewed after a certain point. Look at Mortal Kombat 3 or Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, for example. Both of those games play really well on the three-button controller, thanks to the proximity of the buttons to one another. I don't even mind playing Mortal Kombat II on a three-button controller, though it's a bit of a bummer that you can't do Kung Lao's fatality in which he slices his opponent down the middle with his hat.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

The 8bitdo wireless adapter works when you upgrade to the latest beta firmware. I use it with the M30 controller, works like a charm.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I would have loved to see Samurai Shodown make it in here instead of Street Fighter II. That game actually plays perfectly with the three button controller.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Better, but accurate Sega arcade Tetris isn't going to be noteworthy or even particularly fun to anyone who's not nostalgic for it.

Considering that it was the direct inspiration, it's probably the closest thing to a home port of Arika's Tetris TGM we'll see this side of that one ill-fated X360 game or Tetris 99

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I know this might not be what some of you want, but if you're patient the lag issue will be resolved once Project Lunar is released. I haven't opened mine yet because I don't want to be disappointed so I'm just waiting for the official release.
That's not the lag issue people are annoyed with though. I thought people were annoyed with things like audio lag across all titles, not occasional choking points in a handful of games.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
The guys putting together the system had two difference audiences in mind--the Genesis/Mega Drive was a mainstream success overseas so that version pushed hard on popular/nostalgic choices, whereas the Mega Drive had a more niche audience in Japan so they made decisions with the hardcore audience in mind.

The Japanese producers also seem surprised that overseas reviews keep singling out the 3-button controller as a point of contention, so I think they genuinely believed people were going to prefer the 3-button pad. (There was enough demand for it in Japan that they got their own 3-button pad, even.)
What's this now?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

Sega's directly selling the import Genesis Mini and 3-button pads in Japan now, and their 3-button pads have the JP Mega Drive design rather than the Genesis design--it's just a cosmetic difference but it is a difference.

Considering that it was the direct inspiration, it's probably the closest thing to a home port of Arika's Tetris TGM we'll see this side of that one ill-fated X360 game or Tetris 99

I think that's overstating it a little, but I guess you could spin it that way.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Sega's directly selling the import Genesis Mini and 3-button pads in Japan now, and their 3-button pads have the JP Mega Drive design rather than the Genesis design--it's just a cosmetic difference but it is a difference.
Do you have a link to where they can be purchased (the 3 button Mega Drive controller)?

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
wait what? Which 8bitdo wireless adapter works on the genesis mini with the m30? Thanks in advance:)
This one works. They made specially for the genesis mini (black adapter):

It comes with the 2.4G version of their M30 controller.

Somebody said that there will be a firmware update for the bluetooth adapters, too (grey and orange adapters). I don't know when that will happen because the latest firmware on their site is from August and doesn't support it yet. If you have the bluetooth M30, you'll have to get a bluetooth adapter and wait for the update.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Somebody said that there will be a firmware update for the bluetooth adapters, too (grey and orange adapters). I don't know when that will happen because the latest firmware on their site is from August and doesn't support it yet. If you have the bluetooth M30, you'll have to get a bluetooth adapter and wait for the update.

Ooooooh I thought the gray and orange ones. Unfortunately the black one doesn't ship to Canada :( Do you have the black one already? I thought it was not out until next week.

sorry I'm a bit confused by Ogni-XR21 post. I was under the impression they had a gray one or an orange one and updated that to work with their current M30 2.4 GHz?

Last edited:

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Ooooooh I thought the gray and orange ones. Unfortunately the black one doesn't ship to Canada :( Do you have the black one already? I thought it was not out until next week.

sorry I'm a bit confused by your post. I was under the impression you had a gray one or an orange one and updated that to work with your current M30 2.4 GHz?
Sorry, I meant that the black one will work. You can pre-order it now and it ships on October 18.
Some other user in a previous page said that an 8bitdo representative confirmed that they will release a firmware upgrade for the bluetooth adapters. I don't know where it was confirmed but it makes sense because the M30 that was first released is bluetooth and it won't work with the black adapter.
User Ogni-XR21 said that there is already a beta firmware that supports the genesis mini but I don't know where to download it.

Edit: found the posts:

I reached out to 8bitdo support regarding the bluetooth M30's. It sounds like they are going to push a firmware update to the bluetooth receiver to support the Genesis mini. Though, it's $24.99 for the 2.4GHZ M30 and receiver vs. 19.99 for the bluetooth receiver alone.
Just a heads up for all 8bitdo wireless adapter owners, you can use it on the mini with the beta firmware which can be updated if you use the manual update option in the update-software. I use it with my M30, will probably work with PS4 and all the other supported controllers but haven't tested it yet...

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I meant that the black one will work. You can pre-order it now and it ships on October 18.
Some other user in a previous page said that an 8bitdo representative confirmed that they will release a firmware upgrade for the bluetooth adapters. I don't know where it was confirmed but it makes sense because the M30 that was first released is bluetooth and it won't work with the black adapter.
User Ogni-XR21 said that there is already a beta firmware that supports the genesis mini but I don't know where to download it.

Edit: found the posts:

my sincere thanks to you for quoting those posts, I clearly missed them. Much appreciated! Guess I'll be picking up a M30 with the receiver from a local store in case it doesn't work I can return it.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Bluetooth or 2.4ghz?

sorry I'm a bit confused by Ogni-XR21 post. I was under the impression they had a gray one or an orange one and updated that to work with their current M30 2.4 GHz?
I have a gray adapter (PS classic version) and use that adapter with my M30 Bluetooth controller.
You have to update the firmware of the adapter manually and then press left+up+select (the middle button of the 3 buttons below the start button) to switch the controller to MDmini mode. This took me a few tries to work, but once I did that it remembers the setting.

Here is the email I got from 8bitdo support:

Thanks for the e-mail. I'm here to help you.

The development team is working on this.

Try to update the USB Adapter's BETA firmware instead of the latest version.
http://support.8bitdo.com/firmware-updater.html

*TOP LEFT ICON.
Check the BETA option in the ABOUT interface.
Then manually select the product for update.
You have to select an option to include beta builds somewhere in the software first, otherwise they won't show.

I hope this helps.

Only downside to this is that you cannot fit a second controller into the 2nd port because the adapter is a bit too wide.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I have a gray adapter (PS classic version) and use that adapter with my M30 Bluetooth controller.
You have to update the firmware of the adapter manually and then press left+up+select (the middle button of the 3 buttons below the start button) to switch the controller to MDmini mode. This took me a few tries to work, but once I did that it remembers the setting.

Here is the email I got from 8bitdo support:

You have to select an option to include beta builds somewhere in the software first, otherwise they won't show.

I hope this helps.

Only downside to this is that you cannot fit a second controller into the 2nd port because the adapter is a bit too wide.

Fantastic!!! Thanks for the detail!!! Will pick up bluetooth m30 and a gray adapter.

was hoping it was the Bluetooth version so I can also use it on PC :)

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
One of the teams trying to hack it has managed to add games to the stock UI, for those worried they would have to resort to other methods. Nice.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Good news. Reclock cpu to reduce lag and then if I can add about 20 more games im set.
Removing the underclock doesn't reduce lag, it just reduces hitches and slowdown. Any sound/display lag is caused by the emulator and not the speed of the CPU.

I imagine the only way to reduce lag is to go outside of M2's emulator and use the read-ahead function in Retroarch to reduce latency, if the system is capable of pulling that off successfully.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
One of the teams trying to hack it has managed to add games to the stock UI, for those worried they would have to resort to other methods. Nice.
It would be great to have this as an option instead of always RA.
Good news. Reclock cpu to reduce lag and then if I can add about 20 more games im set.
I'd want about the same number (but I'd also like to remove some of the included games if possible).

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Removing the underclock doesn't reduce lag, it just reduces hitches and slowdown. Any sound/display lag is caused by the emulator and not the speed of the CPU.

I imagine the only way to reduce lag is to go outside of M2's emulator and use the read-ahead function in Retroarch to reduce latency, if the system is capable of pulling that off successfully.

That is not strictly true. More CPU is required to increase the polling. One of the big sources of latency in emulation. More CPU is also good for other stuff like slowdown, of course. It is why it is important to manage expectations with low resource devices such as these. The technical proficiency of the team or emulator only goes so far when you hit limits. Now why M2 went with an underclocked SOC one can only guess. Maybe it was part of the contract for the SOC that the manufacturer would guarantee a certain performance benchmark at a certain price and it isn't like M2 is going to break contract to make weirdos on a forum happy who wants to improve lag by like 2 frames or whatever. Just a guess, who knows what the story was.

It's possible to increase USB polling rates. I've seen it pushed as high as 1000Hz. The tradeoff is that it uses more CPU power, and thus, more battery life.

M2 on the subject. (Turn on CC)
It takes a ton of CPU power to reduce the input lag. And if you go too far, it causes all sorts of weird bugs and mistakes. Right now 1-2 frames of lag is the limit of what we can reduce. [I assume this is meant to be 'reduce to']

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
It just released and has good reviews compared to the PS Classic. It might be a long time before you see discounts.
For Canadian folks with a Shopper's Drug Mart around (not all have videogames stuff available), EVERYTHING in store is 20% off today if you have a Shopper's card and check your email for the 20% off coupon. I finally snagged a Genesis mini for $79.99 Cdn. This thing is neat to play with the Six button controller for SF2.

BTW is SF2 supposed to sound this terrible? The voices are so garbled. I never played the original so I have no reference.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
BTW is SF2 supposed to sound this terrible? The voices are so garbled. I never played the original so I have no reference.
Sound quality of SFII on Genesis is notoriously bad (although I do prefer some of the tracks to the SNES counterparts). There was actually a fan patched version of the game which improved all the audio.