• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL

ox86Eit.png

• Release Date: 29th of May 2018

• Developer: D3T Limited

• Publisher: SEGA

• Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One, Steam (Windows, Mac, Linux), Nintendo Switch

• Price(s): $ 29.99, 29.99 €
Trailer:

Official website: https://megadriveclassics.sega.com/

Ak68B4W.png

About the console:

The Mega Drive (Genesis in the US) was a Sega 16-bit console released in 1988 in Japan. It was Sega's most successful home console, selling a total of 30.75 million units. Preceding the Super Nintendo's launch by 2 years, the Mega Drive released because of a desire by Sega to compete with the powerhouse that was Nintendo. By releasing quality arcade ports, as well as original games that are played even today, like Sonic The Hedgehog, the Mega Drive was part of the 90's pop culture worldwide, and was the only threat to Nintendo's market-share in the US.

This new Classics Collection brings you a selection of the best first party games that came out on that console. From legendary titles such as Sonic 1 & 2, visually impressive games like Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes and Vectorman, to co-op multiplayer classics such as the Streets of Rage and Golden Axe series, you're guaranteed to have lots of fun playing these excellent games!
All of it is presented in a beautiful interface, that recreates a virtual full 3D modelled 90's room, complete with a CRT TV and a game shelf.

VfJhSeB.png

The games included (50+):

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Columns III: Revenge of Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
  • Ristar
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • ToeJam& Earl
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

The Steam version has 6 additional exclusive games:

• Ecco the Dolphin
  • Ecco Jr.
  • Ecco: The Tides of Time
  • Eternal Champions
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  • Sonic CD (This one is not playable in the virtual hub)
These two Wonder Boy games are missing from the Switch version:

• Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

As you can see there's a huge variety of genres, single-player and multiplayer titles.

xclPD8v.png

Some features of this new collection:

Interactive 3D room UI
vKXO9cO.jpg

Online multiplayer/couch co-op

Multi-region select

Some games have multiple versions available. For example, in Streets of Rage 3 you can play the Japanese version, called Bare Knuckle 3, which is a heavily modified version of the game. Different playable characters, altered colour schemes for the heroes and a different story-line are some of the changes.

Various screen filters
BIuPbnj.jpg

Save states

Horizontal flip mode

If you want an additional challenge you can flip the screen from right to left.

VR support with the PlayStation VR, HTC Vive and Oculus Rift

Mod support through Steam Workshop (Steam exclusive)

Q3YptrU.png

Some frequently asked questions:

Why isn't this game on Switch, 3DS or Vita??

The game is now available on the Switch, since December 7th.

I have some of these games on Steam, will they be updated with these new features?

Yes, they will.

Are there trophies/achievements?

Yes. Trophy list

Where is Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles?

Not available in the console versions. Steam only.
There are rumours that Sega might have some problems with the music copyrights on Sonic 3. There is the possibility that the game could appear later as DLC. See question below.

Will there be additional games in the future?

This is all speculation on my part, but on the European stores official description of this compilation it states "In-game purchases optional", so hopefully more games will be added later on.

Is there a physical version?

Yes and apparently it includes a double-sided poster.

YBkqBjH.jpg

OO1Lk5M.png

Tips for some of the games included:

Sonic 1
xS3lF7s.png

Streets of Rage

When an enemy throws you into the air, press and hold Up+Jump button. You will land on your feet and you won't take damage. Additionally, when an enemy grabs you from behind, tap the Jump button, then press forward+Attack button to throw the enemy.

The Revenge of Shinobi
wXcXaNs.png

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Set the amout of shurikens to 00 on the options menu, Set the sounds effects option to Shuriken. Highlight the shurikens option and keep it there and the 00 will change into the symbol for infinity.

Other ResetEra Sega-related OT's:

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive OT
Sega CD/Mega CD OT
Sega Master System OT

Have fun!!!

Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the same collection as that VR gameroom thingy they had a couple of years ago on Steam?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
All y'all should give Ristar a play. It's a charming and colorful game. The JP ver. has Ristar smiling more often and the story is pretty light that you don't need to worry about any text.

TwiztidElf

Oct 28, 2017
Where's all the shooters?
Zero Wing?
Gynoug / Wings of War?
Hellfire?
Thunderforce 3 and 4?
Truxton?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I cry for Ecco. Going to get loads of online time with ToeJam & Earl though so it's not entirely soul crushing.

More Golden Axe games than there are Sonic games.
Wow.
Hey buddy, you may not like Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball and Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, but they sure as heck count as Sonic games!

Where's all the shooters?
Zero Wing?
Gynoug / Wings of War?
Hellfire?
Thunderforce 3 and 4?
Truxton?
SEGA only owns the Thunder Force games of the titles you mentioned. Their omission is pretty weird though. The entire Technosoft Genesis library would have been insane on this collection.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Mostly getting this for the Treasure games.

Even though I have Mega Collection, still can't get over the fact that there's no Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Hey buddy, you may not like Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball and Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, but they sure as heck count as Sonic games!
They're on the list?
Whoa I really did manage to erase their existence from my memory, so much so that I can't even recognise their names anymore.

(I should fill this added space in my mind with the ability to count)

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
3ds had 3D versions of diverse classics and psvita can run the genesis collection released on psp.

So if you want to play on an handheld, you can!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I own everything on the PC version already so I'm happy to stick with that. Will check out the changes when the update hits though.

From what I've seen so far of the emulation quality though I think I'll be sticking with just using those roms in Retroarch unless those challenges are fun.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I own everything on the PC version already so I'm happy to stick with that. Will check out the changes when the update hits though.

From what I've seen so far of the emulation quality though I think I'll be sticking with just using those roms in Retroarch unless those challenges are fun.

Please lets us know if the extra games on the Steam version (Sonic 3, Eternal Champions) also have the online multiplayer feature.

Jan 11, 2018
Personally, the "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" is a better collection disc and it was release 7 years ago. Also it features some Master System (Phantasy Star I) and Arcade games as unlockables.

It also had ugly non-removable frames for each games.

PSA: The sound emulation is utterly awful

Let's not spread mis-information. This video only shows an issue with Bare Knuckle 3 and isn't representative of the entire collection. There are tons of videos on YouTube now to back it up. In fact, Streets of Rage 3 doesn't have any sound issues, nor do 99% of the games on this collection. From what I've seen and heard, only the goal post sound effect in Sonic is a bit off. Other than these two specific examples, there aren't any known instances of the sound being off.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
You guys know what scares me?

Is that Sega removes Sonic 3&K and the Ecco games from Steam, whenever it updates...
I hope this bad feeling I have turns out to be nothing...

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jan 11, 2018
Let's get really picky: the sound effect when you run by the goal sign in the Sonic games is also off.

I mentioned that in my post...

It's not misinformation. The sound is demonstrably inaccurate and there are stutters that affect gameplay.

Again with this? Why are you so determined to defend this?

You're presenting a dishonest argument. We have evidence of sound issues in two specific games, and one of them is a really minor case. They're still worth mentioning, but since there are currently no known sound issues in any of the other games, it's unfair to claim that the entire collection is "trash" or has sound issues.

Again... 2 games. Out of 50+.

There is also no stutter in the PS4 version based on YouTube footage. I haven't seen any Xbox One videos online apart from that one review, so it's either an Xbox exclusive issue or it's got something to do with the equipment that guy used for recording his footage.

So... to sum it all up - as far as we know, the PS4 runs perfectly minus the goal post sound in Sonic and sound issues unique to the first level of Bare Knuckle 3 (but not present in Streets of Rage 3). That is the extent of the issues with this port so far. Those are minor issues.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking closely this thread to see if any improvements/additional games lands in the next weeks or so. Sound inaccuracies means to me wait for some sales because I have all those titles on PC already.

I want to play Alien Soldier again though

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any word on unlockable games. I was hopeful that we would get some arcade unlockables like golden ax arcade or shadow dancer arcade version.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna hold off on this because of Switch's AGES stuff, but I have a 20% off code and goddamnit I need Mean Bean Machine on another console.

Whoa whoa, that's clearly a Puyopuyo game!

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered and Pre-loaded the game last night on PS4. Was gonna get the physical but think digital would be better for quick playing/loading while another game disc is there.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great OT, Piccoro. I will be picking up my PS4 disc tomorrow. PM me for PSN info if anyone wants to co-op.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
That thread title, damn.

Gonna dive into this once I'm done with Detroit (might take a while).

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
The UI is garbage.

Personally, the "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" is a better collection disc and it was release 7 years ago. Also it features some Master System (Phantasy Star I) and Arcade games as unlockables.

Not defending this awful release, but its hard to believe Ultimate Genesis Collection is better.
The game suffers from a bad imput lag. I could barely play the game without stressing myself. Couldn't beat Decap attack without save states...couldn't even get emeralds properlly on Sonic Knuckles special stages. Plus the music quality is not even good. Me and my brother prefer 1000 times playing pc emulators(which are extremelly good btw).

If anything, both are equally terrible.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Great job on the opening post, love Axel + Blaze says ha

Great OT, Piccoro. I will be picking up my PS4 disc tomorrow. PM me for PSN info if anyone wants to co-op.

That thread title, damn.

Gonna dive into this once I'm done with Detroit (might take a while).

Missed the title lol, not often do they come this brutal.

Thank you all!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mentioned that in my post...

You're presenting a dishonest argument. We have evidence of sound issues in two specific games, and one of them is a really minor case. They're still worth mentioning, but since there are currently no known sound issues in any of the other games, it's unfair to claim that the entire collection is "trash" or has sound issues.

Again... 2 games. Out of 50+.

There is also no stutter in the PS4 version based on YouTube footage. I haven't seen any Xbox One videos online apart from that one review, so it's either an Xbox exclusive issue or it's got something to do with the equipment that guy used for recording his footage.

So... to sum it all up - as far as we know, the PS4 runs perfectly minus the goal post sound in Sonic and sound issues unique to the first level of Bare Knuckle 3 (but not present in Streets of Rage 3). That is the extent of the issues with this port so far. Those are minor issues.
You're assuming the rest of the games run perfectly but we should probably wait to see a more thorough analysis than a handful of youtube previews. Seems like a really good opportunity for DF Retro actually.

MD audio emulation can be notoriously difficult to nail down, it can vary game to game and also by hardware model. Even M2 didn't totally ace it until Wii VC (compare Sega Ages PS2 Gunstar to the Wii VC version for example). I'd guess we'll probably see more issues pop up as the collection publically releases and people start digging in but we'll have to see. Hopefully Sega West and d3t plan on and budgeted for fixing any bugs and inconsistencies as they arise.

The slowdown and input lag issues evidently arise from the emu running in a Unity wrapper based on the Steam release. The stuttering seen on that Xbox One preview is probably consistent with that and I wouldn't assume PS4 runs any better given it has a slightly weaker CPU. Again, the best course is probably just to wait and see.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You guys know what scares me?

Is that Sega removes Sonic 3&K and the Ecco games from Steam, whenever it updates...
I hope this bad feeling I have turns out to be nothing...

The games on Steam are licensed individually. The worse thing they can do is remove the games to be sold from Steam. They won't remove them from peoples library that already own them.

No Ghouls 'N Ghosts? Fucking hell...

There aren't any 3rd party published games in this collection. You won't find Capcom or Konami games here.

Pretty much every game in the collection is published and licensed by Sega, including the Treasure developed titles too.

Jan 11, 2018
You're assuming the rest of the games run perfectly but we should probably wait to see a more thorough analysis than a handful of youtube previews. Seems like a really good opportunity for DF Retro actually.

For sure, but my point was that as far as we know it's just 2 games that are affected, at least on PS4, so it's just dishonest to claim that these issues affect the entire collection. There are a gazillion ports of Sonic around already, and I suspect that's not what most people are buying this collection for even if it's still sad that it's not 100% accurate (the goal post sound is not a big deal to me, at least). I'm more saddened by the fact that stage 1 of BK3 has bad sound emulation, but I can live with that if every other game plays just fine (and that seems to be the case - but if anyone has any other examples of issues they want to share, this is of course the place to do it).

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT by the way. Hope they fix this mess soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT! I love the slickness and the use of the classic SEGA fonts. Truly a work from the 90s.

That title kills me though. It broke my heart that we couldn't even get Sonics UGC on Wii U and it looks to be the same on Switch. Not a port beg folks; actually grabbing my PS4/XBO preorders tomorrow, but even with Sega Ages coming, there should be a choice for consumers (e.g. the barebones Sonic 1 in the Collection vs Taxman Sonic 1 which is rumored to be the SA version)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
For sure, but my point was that as far as we know it's just 2 games that are affected, at least on PS4, so it's just dishonest to claim that these issues affect the entire collection. There are a gazillion ports of Sonic around already, so that's not what most people are buying this collection for even if it's still sad that it's not 100% accurate (that being said, the goal post sound is not a big deal to me by any means). I'm more sad by the fact that stage 1 of BK3 has bad sound emulation, but I can live with that if every other game plays just fine (and that seems to be the case - but if anyone has any other examples of issues they want to share, this is of course the place to do it).
Given the way MD audio emulation tends to go I'd say it's more dishonest to claim these are the only two instances of inaccuracy and nothing else is affected. It's almost guaranteed more issues will be found, that was my point in that we need to wait and see before we can say if the collection's worth it for those who value this sort of thing.