• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Games:
(Thanks Danthrax !)

Alright, here are the updated lists. Fun fact: So far, there are 71 different games announced across the three versions of the Mini, counting Game no Kanzume Otokuyou as 10 games and counting Puyo Puyo/Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine as the same game. M2 must be burning the midnight oil.

Full NA/EU list (games not in the Japanese Mini are in orange bold italics):

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Contra: Hard Corps (aka Probotector)
  • Darius
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (localization of the first Puyo Puyo)
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Earthworm Jim
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Eternal Champions
  • Ghouls & Ghosts
  • Golden Axe
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Megaman: The Wily Wars
  • Monster World IV
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Road Rash II
  • Shining Force
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition
  • Strider
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Tetris
  • Thunder Force III
  • Toejam & Earl
  • VectorMan
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World
  • World of Illusion
---

Full Japanese list (games not in the NA/EU Mini are in orange bold italics):

• Alisia Dragoon
  • Assault Suit Leynos (Target Earth)
  • Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Darius
  • Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Game no Kanzume Otokuyou*
  • Ghouls & Ghosts
  • Golden Axe
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Landstalker
  • Langrisser 2
  • Lord Monarch
  • Madō Monogatari
  • Monster World IV
  • MUSHA Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
  • Party Quiz Mega Q
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Puyo Puyo Tsu
  • Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
  • Rent a Hero
  • Road Rash 2
  • Rockman Megaworld
  • Shining Force
  • Slap Fight MD
  • Snow Bros.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Street Fighter II' Champion Edition
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Tetris
  • The Hybrid Front
  • The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis)
  • The Super Shinobi (aka The Revenge of Shinobi)
  • Thunder Force III
  • World of Illusion
  • Wrestleball
  • Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen
----

Asian (games not in either Japanese or NA/EU Minis are in orange bold italics):

• Alien Soldier
  • Alisa Dragoon
  • Assault Suit Leynos (Target Earth)
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Darius
  • Ghouls & Ghosts
  • Golden Axe
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Landstalker
  • Langrisser 2
  • Mega Man: The Wily Wars
  • Monster World IV
  • MUSHA Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
  • OutRun 2019
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
  • Puyo Puyo (from which Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is derived)
  • Puyo Puyo Tsu
  • Road Rash 2
  • SEGA Game Series Value Edition (Game no Kanzume Otokuyou)*
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Slap Fight
  • Snow Bros.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Strider
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • Tetris
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis)
  • Thunder Force III
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World
  • World of Illusion
  • Wrestleball
---

*Games included in Game no Kanzume Otokuyou/SEGA Game Series Value Edition are:
  • 16t
  • Flicky
  • Putter Golf
  • Hyper Marbles
  • Shi no Meikyuu
  • Medal City
  • Paddle Fighter
  • Ikazuse! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD
  • Pyramid Magic
  • Robot Battler
  • Teddy Boy Blues
  • Aworg
Comparison Chart
(Thanks Sixfortyfive !)

DHpMtdf.png

----------------------
Tidbits:

Darius is a completely new port made by fan modder, Hidecade released last year.
Tetris for MD is among the rarest on the system. Only 10 copies on Earth, apparently.

---------------------

Main Menu:
DHhBAGZ.jpg

Side View:
aWTmgFr.jpg

Carrying Case and Mega Drive Add-On props:
LOYq9fo.png

7RZMyi8.png

dAmWArT.jpg

Yes, the add-ons do nothing. They are cosmetic. Yes, they still have my money.

No word if either of these things is coming west-side.

Preorder them here:

Controller Reminders:

As a reminder:
The Japanese and Asian MD Mini will come with official 6 Button Controllers in their package.

The NA/PAL version will come with only 3 Button Controllers.

RetroBit will release officially licensed 6 Button for the Mini for 20 USD.
SEGA_NA_SGM_6BtnUSB.png

You can also buy the 8 button USB controller from RetroBit, which are compatible, officially licensed by SEGA and already available.

7100KOnmSUL._SL1500_.jpg

Reviews are apparently really positive but still, proceed with care and all that.

Last edited:

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I need the tower addons. Someone please find a place where I can throw my money to make this happen.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Should've added Skitchin'.

Also, what is with Sega and the Genesis port of VF2? I don't remember it being good at all, but it's on every compilation they put out.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
This will be the first Sega console I own actually (was always Nintendo growing up). Can't wait for this thing.

So no Sonic 3? Is it due to the music rights?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Should've added Skitchin'.

Also, what is with Sega and the Genesis port of VF2? I don't remember it being good at all, but it's on every compilation they put out.

easy filler. Virtua Fighter sounds better than another random shit game, even if the port is indeed bad.

Oct 29, 2017
Come on SEGA Asia... don't let me down! Give us the right combo of both! (And Rocket Knight Adventures while you're at it!)

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Preordered the second I saw they announced Road Rash II, they hit the lineup out of the park as far as I'm concerned. Good show Sega, I thought my Raspberry Pi was all the emulation power I needed but I've been thoroughly convinced otherwise

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
That is one amazing lineup. Hope this thing becomes a huge success and they make a hybrid system with Sega CD games next, and then a Saturn Mini.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
Man I can't wait for SEGA Mega Drive Mini / Genesis Mini Hacking |OT| more games, even more blast processing

Sonic 3 & Knuckles here I come

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I still can't believe Alisia Dragoon got announced.
Right in the feels, my childhood!

Sep 28, 2018
IMPORTANT: The original Darius never released on console. It was ported to the Genesis/Megadrive by a fan, a Japanese woman I believe, who learned videogame coding just for this feat. SEGA/M2 were evidently impressed, reached out to her and as a result of her dedication they included it in the Mini. (If any of this information is wrong someone feel free to correct me.)

I just want to say how absolutely awesome SEGA are to their fans, it's commendable and a lot of other companies could learn a lot from their actions.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
The last 12 games are a little bit dull, by my tastes, but there's enough gold in the complete list that I'm happy with my pre-order.

A bit weird that Sega didn't go the extra mile to get S3&K on the system when they went the extra mile on so many of the third party games. I don't get why they can't just use the alternate soundtrack from the original PC release. M2 could easily do it and add in the ability to latch & Knuckles to the other 2 sonic games like they did in the Wii VC version.

Oh well, doesn't actually bother me that much, since I picked up the steam version recently to play Sonic 3 AIR anyway. Just explaining why I find it weird.

Last edited:

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed in no Sonic 3, but I've still got my preorder for this thing. I have to support Sega/M2 doing an amazing job.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Wow...I'm surprised that Light Crusader made it in. That's one of my favorite Genesis games, but I fully expected it to not be included because there are so many other games that're probably more core to the Genesis experience for other people.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I love the add-ons but it hurts that they don't actually add games. Imagine if we got an extra 20 MCD games, 10 32X games and S3K with them.

Still waiting to hear the final lineup but I think I'm going for the Asian unit. So far it's the best from Japan plus some interesting english friendly alternates.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The last 12 games are a little bit dull, by my tastes, but there's enough gold in the complete list that I'm happy with my pre-order.

A bit weird that Sega didn't go the extra mile to get S3&K on the system when they went the extra mile on so many of the third party games. I don't get why they can't just use the same Rom they used for the Wii VC and Steam versions, with the alternate soundtrack. Hell the Wii VC was handled by M2 themselves back in the day and even included a custom menu for latching Sonic & Knuckles to all three compatible Sonic games. This clearly isn't beyond their ability.

Oh well, doesn't actually bother me that much, since I picked up the steam version recently to play Sonic 3 AIR anyway. Just explaining why I find it weird.

the Wii/Steam version is different?

Nov 23, 2017
The hand wringing about sonic 3 has gotten a little tiresome...just play it in any other genesis complication for a dollar if you care so much. It doesn't take away from the fact this line up is great.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Of S3&K? There's no difference.

There is a fan hack (Sonic 3 Complete) that offers the PC soundtrack as an alternative.

The hand wringing about sonic 3 has gotten a little tiresome...just play it in any other genesis complication for a dollar if you care so much. It doesn't take away from the fact this line up is great.
The only current legal ways of buying Sonic 3 are through Steam or XBLA, and neither is particularly ideal due to shoddy emulation. It would have been nice for it to get the M2 treatment.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Well I could be mistaken, I'm not an expert, but I remember a lot of people complaining about the soundtrack in the Wii VC version at the time, claiming it was the alternate soundtrack from the original Windows version (Sonic & Knuckles Collection) that explicitly removed all the Michael Jackson sound-a-like tunes. I'm assuming all versions released around the same time included the same alternate soundtrack, but again I could be wrong on that.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Well I could be mistaken, I'm not an expert, but I remember a lot of people complaining about the soundtrack in the Wii VC version at the time, claiming it was the alternate soundtrack from the original Windows version (Sonic & Knuckles Collection) that explicitly removed all the Michael Jackson sound-a-like tunes. I'm assuming all versions released around the same time included the same alternate soundtrack, but again I could be wrong on that.
Nope, I have the Wii version. The music is exactly the same as it was on the Genesis.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

i think it had the original soundtrack? it's been years since i played the VC version since it is now officially easier for me to use a real cart with my Mega SG lol

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
The only current legal ways of buying Sonic 3 are through Steam or XBLA, and neither is particularly ideal due to shoddy emulation. It would have been nice for it to get the M2 treatment.
The nice thing about the Steam version of Genesis Classics is that it includes uncompressed roms (in a folder simply called 'uncompressed roms') so you can use them with other emulators or even on real hardware with a flash cart.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Nope, I have the Wii version. The music is exactly the same as it was on the Genesis.
i think it had the original soundtrack? it's been years since i played the VC version since it is now officially easier for me to use a real cart with my Mega SG lol
Fair enough. I think my memory was playing tricks on me or I misunderstood the conversation I was reading at the time. I edited my original post to be a bit more accurate.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OMG must own stupid MEGA TOWER! Please post Amazon JP link the moment it goes up, ERA!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Really wanted to see Crusader of Centy but if the emulation is on the I'm in.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The nice thing about the Steam version of Genesis Classics is that it includes uncompressed roms (in a folder simply called 'uncompressed roms') so you can use them with other emulators or even on real hardware with a flash cart.
Yeah, I don't know how much hacking I'll do with this thing but as soon as it's cracked, loading S3&K in there is the first thing I'm doing.

Hell I think I have the Steam Genesis collection, I might just import all of them.

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
This is a nitpick and I know the OP clarifies this to a degree, but I wouldn't count Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (or Kirby's Avalanche, a SNES reskin of the same game, for that matter) as the same game as Puyo Puyo Tsuu, they're extremely different in playability.

DRMBM forces you to play in 5-color Puyo, and doesn't have garbage canceling (if you send 10 garbage and your opponent sends 5 before it resolves, you're both getting those amounts of garbage. In every Puyo since, including Tsuu, your opponent would get 5 garbage and you would get zero). These two differences basically turn DRMBM into a contest of which player can make and resolve a 4-5 chain the fastest to automatically win on the spot, while Puyo Puyo Tsuu's ruleset (4-color Puyo, garbage canceling) is still in use today.

Additionally, as a single player game, the AI for Tsuu is fairly competent on its hardest settings. In DRMBM, most opponents resort to random gimmicks with only the last two (a 2-chain spammer and Robotnik himself) given any real AI.

It would be like calling Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 the same game, when they really don't play that much alike. Its enough of a difference to make me want the Japanese Mini over having an English interface.