• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
In case someone didn't see this in the other thread... Some fun facts about the various Genesis/Mega Drive Minis compared with the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 360/PS3) and the Sega Genesis Classics (XBO/PS4/Switch):

• 20 games in the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection that aren't in any Genesis/Mega Drive Mini (Alien Storm, Bonanza Bros., Decap Attack, Ecco: The Tides of Time, ESWAT: City Under Siege, Gain Ground, Golden Axe II, Golden Axe III, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, Shining Force II, Shining in the Darkness, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 3, Super Thunder Blade and VectorMan 2)
  • 3 games in the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection that aren't in any Genesis/Mega Drive Mini or in Sega Genesis Classics (Ecco: The Tides of Time, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles)
  • 40 Mega Drive/Genesis games in total are in the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

• 24 games in the Sega Genesis Classics that aren't in any Genesis/Mega Drive Mini (Alien Storm, Bio-Hazard Battle, Bonanza Bros., Columns III, Crack Down, Decap Attack, ESWAT: City Under Siege, Gain Ground, Golden Axe II, Golden Axe III, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, Ristar, Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi, Sonic 3D Blast, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 3, Super Thunder Blade, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron and Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair)
  • 7 games in the Sega Genesis Classics that aren't in any Genesis/Mega Drive Mini or in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Bio-Hazard Battle, Columns III, Crack Down, Galaxy Force II, Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron and Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair)
  • 53 Mega Drive/Genesis games in total are in the Sega Genesis Classics

• 43 games in all the Genesis/Mega Drive Minis that aren't in the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection or the Sega Genesis Classics (Alisia Dragoon, Castle of Illusion, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra: Hard Corps, Darius, Earthworm Jim, Eternal Champions, Ghouls & Ghosts, Megaman: The Wily Wars, Monster World IV, Road Rash II, Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition, Strider, Super Fantasy Zone, Tetris, Thunder Force III, World of Illusion, Assault Suit Leynos, Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special, 16t, Putter Golf, Hyper Marbles, Medal City, Paddle Fighter, Ikazuse! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD, Pyramid Magic, Robot Battler, Teddy Boy Blues, Aworg, Langrisser 2, Lord Monarch, Mado Monogatari, MUSHA Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor, Party Quiz Mega Q, Puyo Puyo Tsu, Puzzle & ActionL Tant-R, Rent a Hero, Slap Fight MD, Snow Bros., The Hybrid Front, Wrestleball, Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen and OutRun 2019)

• If you only have the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, there are 22 games in the U.S. Genesis Mini that you don't have (Alisia Dragoon, Castle of Illusion, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra: Hard Corps, Darius, Earthworm Jim, Eternal Champions, Ghouls & Ghosts, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, Megaman: The Wily Wars, Monster World IV, Road Rash II, Space Harrier II, Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition, Strider, Super Fantasy Zone, Tetris, Thunder Force III, Toejam & Earl, Wonder Boy in Monster World and World of Illusion)

• If you only have the Sega Genesis Classics on a console, there are 18 games in the U.S. Genesis Mini that you don't have (Alisia Dragoon, Castle of Illusion, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra: Hard Corps, Darius, Earthworm Jim, Eternal Champions, Ecco the Dolphin, Ghouls & Ghosts, Megaman: The Wily Wars, Monster World IV, Road Rash II, Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition, Strider, Super Fantasy Zone, Tetris, Thunder Force III and World of Illusion)

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
From the stream, it looks like you can order the games in release date order, which means we are thankfully spared from Alex Kidd being on the top of the western console's list as it would have been alphabetically. This is a very important factor in my purchasing decision.

Wow...I'm surprised that Light Crusader made it in. That's one of my favorite Genesis games, but I fully expected it to not be included because there are so many other games that're probably more core to the Genesis experience for other people.

Interestingly enough, save McDonald's Treasure Land (for obvious reasons), all of Treasure's Genesis output is represented here, just not all on one region. Each region has a Treasure exclusive (Yu Yu for JPN, Alien Soldier for Asia, Light Crusader for NA/EU).

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This is a nitpick and I know the OP clarifies this to a degree, but I wouldn't count Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (or Kirby's Avalanche, a SNES reskin of the same game, for that matter) as the same game as Puyo Puyo Tsuu, they're extremely different in playability.

DRMBM forces you to play in 5-color Puyo, and doesn't have garbage canceling (if you send 10 garbage and your opponent sends 5 before it resolves, you're both getting those amounts of garbage. In every Puyo since, including Tsuu, your opponent would get 5 garbage and you would get zero). These two differences basically turn DRMBM into a contest of which player can make and resolve a 4-5 chain the fastest to automatically win on the spot, while Puyo Puyo Tsuu's ruleset (4-color Puyo, garbage canceling) is still in use today.

Additionally, as a single player game, the AI for Tsuu is fairly competent on its hardest settings. In DRMBM, most opponents resort to random gimmicks with only the last two (a 2-chain spammer and Robotnik himself) given any real AI.

It would be like calling Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 the same game, when they really don't play that much alike. Its enough of a difference to make me want the Japanese Mini over having an English interface.
I think they're counting it as Puyo Puyo 1, which MBM is a direct hack of.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Holy crap. Monster World IV.

What were the final 10 games revealed? I can't remember what was revealed already and what wasn't.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dat tower. I want all the megazords!!

Pretty happy with list in the end. Best mini console till now.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Phantasy Star II is the only omission that really disappoints me. A lot actually. Phantasy Star IV is good, but to have an M2 accurate emulation of PSII is far more interesting and more appealing in the context of historical game preservation. It's a shame.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Aww man, the Japanese list has Snow Bros. and the Asian list has Alien Soldier and Outrun 2019 (a very appropriate year lol).

Those three are pretty much my favorite games on the Genesis, but oh well.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I think they're counting it as Puyo Puyo 1, which MBM is a direct hack of.

Yep. Puyo Puyo 1 is in the Asian Mini while Dr. Robotnik's MBM is in the North American/European Mini, and in my count of 71 games, I count those as the same game.

Japan gets Puyo Puyo 2 (as does Asia) and that is a separate game.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
What an amazingly diverse lineup, Sega and M2 have just been hitting it out of the park with their handling of the Genesis Mini.

IMPORTANT: The original Darius never released on console. It was ported to the Genesis/Megadrive by a fan, a Japanese woman I believe, who learned videogame coding just for this feat. SEGA/M2 were evidently impressed, reached out to her and as a result of her dedication they included it in the Mini. (If any of this information is wrong someone feel free to correct me.)

This is just fantastic. No other company but M2 would include a fan made Genesis port of the original Darius.

I just want to say how absolutely awesome SEGA are to their fans, it's commendable and a lot of other companies could learn a lot from their actions.

This so much.

OP
OP
yap

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a nitpick and I know the OP clarifies this to a degree, but I wouldn't count Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (or Kirby's Avalanche, a SNES reskin of the same game, for that matter) as the same game as Puyo Puyo Tsuu, they're extremely different in playability.

I think you're getting mixed up. Danthrax, who the made list, said MBM is the same game as the first Puyo Puyo, not Puyo Puyo Tsuu.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Holy crap. Monster World IV.

What were the final 10 games revealed? I can't remember what was revealed already and what wasn't.
The final 12 games were:

Tetris
Darius
Road Rash II
Strider
Virtua Fighter 2
Alisia Dragoon
Columns
Dynamite Headdy
Kid Chameleon
Monster World IV
Light Crusader
Eternal Champions

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Alright, now that I'm done bitching about RKA, I think Alisia Dragoon and Road Rash 2 are probably my favorite left field picks in this batch. I really didn't think Sega would bother with getting EA on board at all, considering their history from the late 90s onwards.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Phantasy Star II is the only omission that really disappoints me. A lot actually. Phantasy Star IV is good, but to have an M2 accurate emulation of PSII is far more interesting and more appealing in the context of historical game preservation. It's a shame.

I'm hoping we see PSII in the Sega Ages line on the Switch, personally. I'd like to see them give it basically the same treatment as PSI got (even the automapping, which would still be useful in PSII despite the overhead perspective).

If it was down to one game per franchise here (more or less, I know there are exceptions) I'm okay with PSIV over PSII. But yeah, it still kinda sucks. I would've gladly taken all three Genesis Shining games on here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if the 6 button controller will be released to purchase separately in the US?

Oct 27, 2017
Man I am still not sure which version to get. The Japanese version has the superior controller and some games I want, while the western version is easier to get and cheaper.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
I'm hoping we see PSII in the Sega Ages line on the Switch, personally. I'd like to see them give it basically the same treatment as PSI got (even the automapping, which would still be useful in PSII despite the overhead perspective).

If it was down to one game per franchise here (more or less, I know there are exceptions) I'm okay with PSIV over PSII. But yeah, it still kinda sucks. I would've gladly taken all three Genesis Shining games on here.

I don't play on the Switch and it's the least appealing to me for retrogaming for various reasons, although more M2 ports is always a good thing, especially for this game in particular.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
the Wii/Steam version is different?
Both Wii and Steam version build off their regular MD emulation platforms, so there's obviously differences on that level.

The big difference, I guess, is that on Wii you could buy Sonic & Knuckles, and it would detect if you had also bought (and probably installed) Sonic 1/2/3 and allow you to lock them on in the emulator pause menu. On Steam you can buy Sonic 3 & Knuckles, or Sonic 3 locked onto Sonic & Knuckles. Sega doesn't seem to mind people putting up the other versions on Steam Workshop though.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I want the CD addon and will throw the 32x one right in the trash where it belongs.

Overall a good list. A number of misses and games I feel are left out but it would be hard to really get everything. Only a couple of games I think are actually bad on it and for some of them I can see why they were included so that's good.

As for the region differences, think MUSHA and Revenge of Shinobi are the only ones I feel bad about. Well and Alien Soldier.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Great selection - thread title had me hyped that there was somehow 32X, Sega CD game integration but... that's also neat, I guess

Also, what is with Sega and the Genesis port of VF2? I don't remember it being good at all, but it's on every compilation they put out.

lol I was just going to say the same thing - it's a pretty awful game, I have no idea why they're so obsessed with it. Maybe just name recognition

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Selling the 6-button controllers separately in the EU/NA is pretty lame, considering inclusions like Street Fighter rely on them. For an all-in-one system, I consider that a strike against it, and one that honestly seems like it costs more on the supply-side than just having the one controller design for all regions.

Everything else sounds amazing. There's a lotta love put into this.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love the reveal of the add-ons from the stream.

(1:44:44)

Last edited:

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
People still gonna get mad that S3&K isn't on here... I think given the lengths they've went to get certain games on here, they simply CAN'T put it on here.

Yeah, whatever might be going on behind the scenes with the game currently, knowing how M2 always goes above and beyond there's no way they wouldn't have included S3&K if they were able to. Was S3&K included in the most recent Genesis compilation?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Selling the 6-button controllers separately in the EU/NA is pretty lame, considering inclusions like Street Fighter rely on them. For an all-in-one system, I consider that a strike against it, and one that honestly seems like it costs more on the supply-side than just having the one controller design for all regions.

Everything else sounds amazing. There's a lotta love put into this.
Yeah it's pretty crappy. But the product seems otherwise pretty dang solid.