Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That 1.5 billion number for Sonic is probably 30% mobile games. Just taking a quick search on the Google Play store on Android, and the downloads of the first 4 Sonic games combined alone add up to 300 million+. Probably fair to assume iOS would have similar numbers.
30% is probably lowballing it even. For reference, Sonic Dash alone has 500 million users.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic has had a bunch of mobile games, hasn't it? I'd guess most of the sold is actually just downloads.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Bring back mainline Phantasy Star. At least do a remake or remaster for gods sakes!

Give the US the Ages version at least.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Uh, but Puyo Puyo was also an acquired IP?
It specifies that they only count the titles they fully own. It is a bit of a mess though.

I am all for SEGA continuing to license out IPs to anyone passionate or willing to back their games but I wonder if it will impact the longterm perspective of them. For example I think it is fair to assume the Streets of Rage franchise is around Sakura Taisen numbers but they would not include SoR4's 2.5 million if they were to ever have it in a list like this. Maybe it does not matter much as it would take several releases just for something like this to catch up to where Persona is now.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. I just downloaded the mobile Sonic 1 last night. Pretty good port.

Sega your missing out on tons of extra ££££$$$$ etc by not doing your beloved older IPS like Nights, Rally, OUTRUN!! etc etc. just hopefully they have some of this in development in the background and Sega is not just going to be a Sonic/Persona/Yakuza stable.
A mobile Outrun would be amazing to have.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Yakuza number is a lot lower than I expected. Does that include the Judgment games? Even without those you have:

Yakuza
Yakuza 2
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 5
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza: Like A Dragon
Yakuza Kenzan
Yakuza Ishin
Yakuza Dead Souls
Yakuza 1+2 Remastered

Is 0 the best-seliing game in the series? It's frequently under $5/£5 on PC and has racked up millions of sales there alone.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Count me in as someone else who's surprised that Football Manager isn't higher. I know it's pretty niche but still, with all the people who buy it every year or even every other year I would expect a higher number. I guess the real takeaway here is I have no sense for sales numbers. The same goes for Yakuza but I could see those numbers jumping up in the near future since it seems to only be getting bigger and bigger right now.

Also, haters bow down to the ever-present hedgehog.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The Sonic console sales are probably around the 100 million range (up to a very generous maximum of 150 million). The rest is definitely mobile downloads and ps+ downloads. Still, it shows that the series has potential to sell if the quality is there.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
There were also some quite exciting slides in the presentation which clearly indecate that most if not all Sega and Atlus releases going forward will be released day 1 WW and on mutliple plattforms.

unknown.png

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Imagine a Sega Smash Bros headlined by Sonic, Total War, Football Manager, and Puyo Puyo. Also it's always nice to see Puyo on top.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Biggest surprise for me was SMT having such high sales when I thought Persona sold more by a fair margin. Older IP by over a decade helps, I guess. If combined into one 'MegaTen' umbrella that'd be a very good figure.

Really? SMT is pretty niche.. And generally have a lot less releases.
Yakuza have had like 6/7 games available.

Also hi my first post here glad to be here

Yakuza has had a lot more than 6/7 releases.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Virtua Fighter being that high up, but not having a new game until recently is astonishing. AM2 just must have been stumped.

Megustaelmate

Sep 4, 2022
jesus at the sonic numbers...amazing to see total war up there, i mean, its a PC game right? football manager too but tahts a given.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised how low the football manager and yakuza numbers are
In Yakuza's case, going by memory (so real events may indeed vary), but Yakuza 1&2 sold around 1mil each in Japan (and almost nothing outside of Japan), then the series steadily declined sales wise on the PS3 (none were reaching that 1mil point that I saw) and again series further declined on PS4 until the series got a kick up the ass with 0 being a surprise localisation success. Then 6 did even better (0 and 6 have since hit around 1 mil sold), likewise 7 ended up selling the best in series history.

While there's a lot of games in the series, sales werent amazing (as pointed out above, good sales were just 1mil each). And now that the series is doing way better outside of Japan, its really started to sell well again (which I love to see). Basically Sega got lucky (sorta) in that the sudden interest for the series overseas has offset the long declining sales of the series in Japan. Then again them being so anti Nintendo with the series sure doesnt help Japanese sales any...

Yakuza number is a lot lower than I expected. Does that include the Judgment games? Even without those you have:

Yakuza
Yakuza 2
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 5
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza Kenzan
Yakuza Ishin
Yakuza Dead Souls
Yakuza 1+2 Remastered

Is 0 the best-seliing game in the series? It's frequently under $5/£5 on PC and has racked up millions of sales there alone.

See above point. 1 and 2 in Japan sold well. Everything after that declined in sales, though 5 did have a pretty hefty launch (at least for PS3 entry standards) in Japan. No idea how that did outside of Japan since it launched 2 years after the PS4 launched.

The remaster of 1&2 only did modest sales. The remakes and remasters never did big numbers in Japan. And of course the Wii U port is still the worst selling game in the series.

Kenzan's sales were pretty soft from what I remember. Certainly a drop from 1&2. You missed both PSP games - those only did modestly well as well. I seem to recall Kurohyou 2 being quite the disappointment sales wise.

Dead Souls actually did pretty decently in Japan (for PS3 sales standards) but fucking torpedoed the series in the West for years. So yeah... very bad.

You also missed Judge Eyes and Lost Judgment (solid sales, and with PC ports finally a thing, should continue to do well), Hokuto Ga Gotoku (FOTNS, which again... meh sales), technically the remasters as well are a thing independant of the originals if you wanna break down sales further (Id imagine the majority of remaster sales go to everywhere outside of Japan, they never seemed to be big sellers in Japan, likewise for Kiwami 1&2).

As for biggest sellers. 6 for a while was the best seller, but now its 7 which RGGS confirmed has managed to sell better than all previous games (heh, and people said the combat shift would doom the series...)
Also, there's no way 0 has racked up "millions of sales". That doesnt add up at all. Its done well for sure, as have most of the post 0 releases, but I think your vastly over estimating how well that or any of the other games in the series have sold. Honestly, Id be impressed if its 2mil sold.

Last edited:

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
You also missed Judge Eyes and Lost Judgment (solid sales, and with PC ports finally a thing, should continue to do well), Hokuto Ga Gotoku (FOTNS, which again... meh sales), technically the remasters as well are a thing independant of the originals if you wanna break down sales further (Id imagine the majority of remaster sales go to everywhere outside of Japan, they never seemed to be big sellers in Japan, likewise for Kiwami 1&2).

As for biggest sellers. 6 for a while was the best seller, but now its 7 which RGGS confirmed has managed to sell better than all previous games (heh, and people said the combat shift would doom the series...)
Also, there's no way 0 has racked up "millions of sales". That doesnt add up at all. Its done well for sure, as have most of the post 0 releases, but I think your vastly over estimating how well that or any of the other games in the series have sold. Honestly, Id be impressed if its 2mil sold.

I did say "Does that include the Judgment games?" :P Wasn't sure about FotNS, would be interesting if that was included as well.

Regarding Yakuza 0's sales, I'm going by the estimates from here: https://steamdb.info/app/638970/graphs/

It's always the cheapest in the series and the one which seems to have the widest appeal. The PC release was how I got into the series and its frequent sub $5 price is tempting for newcomers. The estimated sales far exceed any of the other games in the series on Steam. The lowest estimated sales are ~1.5 million for Steam, and we know 0 sold 500,000 copies in Asia/Japan by June 2015 so I think it's safe to say it's sold more than 2 million at this point, I would think probably closer to 3 once you include the western PS4 release (and a handful of copies on Xbox :P ).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I did say "Does that include the Judgment games?" :P Wasn't sure about FotNS, would be interesting if that was included as well.

Regarding Yakuza 0's sales, I'm going by the estimates from here: https://steamdb.info/app/638970/graphs/

It's always the cheapest in the series and the one which seems to have the widest appeal. The PC release was how I got into the series and its frequent sub $5 price is tempting for newcomers. The estimated sales far exceed any of the other games in the series on Steam. The lowest estimated sales are ~1.5 million for Steam, and we know 0 sold 500,000 copies in Asia/Japan by June 2015 so I think it's safe to say it's sold more than 2 million at this point, I would think probably closer to 3 once you include the western PS4 release (and a handful of copies on Xbox :P ).
So going by the range that sales data lists, 1.5mil sales seems believeable. In terms of sales - as you mentioned 500K was the Asian PS4 sales number I saw reported a while back, with RGGS saying likewise the game had managed to do similar on the PS4 in the West (the quote was basically saying sales in Asia and the West were 50/50). So that'd give them 1mil(ish) sales, and yeah going by the more conservative Steam estimate, another 1mil AT LEAST would have been sold via Steam.
Granted that the 1mil number for PS4 alone is woefully outdated, that's likewise been on sale tons over the years so its probably higher these days (who knows by how much though).

Still makes me wonder how well 7 has done though... seeing as it was only last year that RGGS confirmed it was the best selling game in the series. I have doubts that's around 3mil though, I was assuming it was closer to 1.5 mil lol. Im probably just low balling the sales, after all, after years of seeing the series slowly decline Im not exactly predisposed to assume it sells amazingly well, does make you wonder though...

Either way, its good to see the series in more recent years selling much better. Its really given it the shot in the arm it needed.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, Puyo Puyo is that big. Probably also thanks to Puyo Quest.

I mean, how can you go wrong when this is their portrayal of Satan?

puyo-puyo-satan.png

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Really Impressive Total War being 2nd on there..

Have you played it? Total War Warhammer III is one of the best games of all time. The amount of content in the game is staggering. Each army has all unique units and a unique gameplay system and win conditions that are different from every other army. It's completely insane that it even works so well.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
No Valkyria Chronicles on the list :(

Yakuza
Yakuza 2
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 5
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza Kenzan
Yakuza Ishin
Yakuza Dead Souls
Yakuza 1+2 Remastered

You also forgot:

Kurohyou
Kurohyou 2
Yakuza Remastered Collection

There has been a ton of Yakuza games overall, but only recently they've become a bit more mainstream so it makes sense that they are not that big of a seller.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Sega isn't trying to pretend that Sakura Wars doesn't exist. That's a win in my book. Valkyria Chronicles and Shining are doomed though.

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
There were also some quite exciting slides in the presentation which clearly indecate that most if not all Sega and Atlus releases going forward will be released day 1 WW and on mutliple plattforms.

unknown.png
Unless they had a deal in place with Sony before committing to this Persona 6 is practically guaranteed to be multiplatform. I know we all love to be pessimistic about Atlus and they often deserve it, but Sega keep reiterating their plan to increase the popularity of series like Persona and Yakuza through multiplatform and simultaneous worldwide releases so it's looking pretty likely at this point.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is VF that successful but can't get a new game or at least a PC port?

Explain.

Basically Sega ( Japan ) mismanaged the franchise betting on arcades as the main profit source, considering console ports as an afterthought ( neclecting online play & not embracing multiplatform releases when it should ).

The truth is that Sega has never known how to properly handle VF on consoles. VF has always been their flashgip arcade title, every new entry has aimed to push graphics, network & services beyond what was available on arcades at that time.

On consoles, only VF4 & Evo can be considered competent ports aimed specifically to the console market, these ports made the franchise justice on consoles but when It finally seemed like Sega got it right…VF5 came along, too early, only for PS3 with a barebones port & no online play… arcades were already on decline and while Capcom, Netherealm & Namco were already fostering their franchises on consoles/PC to grow their respective playerbases Sega found themselves unable to fund a new VF because it was almost entirely dependant on arcade revenue to become profitable.

Today seems like Sega finally understands that VF needs the consumer/domestic market as much the arcade one in order to keep the franchise alive & thriving in the future, so hopefully the next installment will be multiplatform ( PC included ).

But this is Sega we are talking about after all so you never know lol.

Last edited:

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic hasn't sold 1.5 billion games. Come on now. You'd have already known. That's, like, 75 mainline pokemon games.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Total War and Football Manager are HUGE.

I remember some people complaining about them being in All Star Racing Transformed, when they're some of the biggest franchises they have lol