• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How is there 167 total editions of Yakuza since 2005? I'd like to know what they mean by "editions". lol

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
are they counting downloads for subscription services like PS+ and GP?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Not to complement Sonic, but whenever people say he's irrelevant they're from the flippin' moon.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
PSO2 just reached 10 mil users a month ago.

Are those numbers really all PSO2?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think the things that are more interesting to me are things like Chain Chronicle, which I feel that I don't hear a lot of talk about. Aside from the mobile game, is there anything else currently going on with that IP?

The fuck is Aladdin. It says pachislot and I can see that they've released pachinko games with that name going back to at least 2007. Is there anything special about their pachislot lines?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Wonder how Alex Kidd stacks up….

A little surprised to see Yakuza under 20 million in total but it makes sense, just wild to think about how many entries the series has.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I think the things that are more interesting to me are things like Chain Chronicle, which I feel that I don't hear a lot of talk about. Aside from the mobile game, is there anything else currently going on with that IP?

The fuck is Aladdin. It says pachislot and I can see that they've released pachinko games with that name going back to at least 2007. Is there anything special about their pachislot lines?

They include those homegrown pachislot and pachinko IP that are usually licensed because its SegaSammy lol. But yeah Chain Chronicle is their big mobile hit and it got a sequel with Sin Chronicle.

There is other big sellers that people don't talk about, which is limited to arcades. Those long running arcade games either with trading card and/or online game functions (Border Break, Sangokushi Taisen, World Club Champion Football etc.) made lots of money over the years.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Look at football manager holy shit

Edit: and damn total war. I don't even know anyone who plays these games.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
That 1.5 billion number for Sonic is probably 30% mobile games. Just taking a quick search on the Google Play store on Android, and the downloads of the first 4 Sonic games combined alone add up to 300 million+. Probably fair to assume iOS would have similar numbers.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
That 1.5 billion number for Sonic is probably 30% mobile games. Just taking a quick search on the Google Play store on Android, and the downloads of the first 4 Sonic games combined alone add up to 300 million+. Probably fair to assume iOS would have similar numbers.
A couple years back there actually has been a thread about the way Sega inflates the Sonic numbers massively by including F2P downloads.

www.resetera.com

The fact about Sega's IP sales data a.k.a Sonic series is at <100M units not ~800M

There has been some misinformation because people have been looking at SegaSammy's recent integrated report and overlooked what data Sega uses to count as sales for their IP. So I will go through this step-by-step showing the data without context and then filling in the blanks so that you'll...

It appears that a good 90% of the Sonic "sales" are just free downloads. Which still shows the appeal the brand has, but it's also somewhat misleading considering how little engagement or commitment is needed to download a F2P game.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Nice to have more direct numbers out there even if they are a bit outdated. I wish we had more IPs listed, but they probably do not care to list ones that are not currently active.

I am expecting this time next year that Persona number might pass Miku. The real question now is if Football Manager or Like a Dragon surpasses Puyo first.

PSO2 just reached 10 mil users a month ago.

Are those numbers really all PSO2?
Yeah I am really extremely confused by the Phantasy Star numbers. I could understand that being lifetime sales of individual games but they say users here.

And people here swear up and down that Sega should give up on the Sonic IP, it's dead, etc.

lol
Once had a group of people on Era tell me 500 million downloads wasnt a big deal for a phone game because its free. Then they completely avoided the question when I listed off how rare that genuinely is for games.

The $450m Bayonetta juggernaut is clearly omitted spitefully here.
Even if the number were true I imagine SEGA's earnings on it would be heavily split between Nintendo and Platinum. It would be listed a similar way to Puyo with an asterisk. I do think Bayonetta is a stronger IP than many people imagine though.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Yeah I would much rather have just the unit sales without the F2P downloads; those are basically meaningless for the console side of things, outside of brand awareness.

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
True but also the Sekai game must bring a good bunch or revenue with the gacha system they have there.
Yeah. It's possibly Sega's highest grossing game to date

Yeah I would much rather have just the unit sales without the F2P downloads; those are basically meaningless for the console side of things, outside of brand awareness.

I don't know, nowadays I think it doesn't make much sense to separate them when many f2p games are released on consoles. Surely they also include games that came out on Gamepass and so on, so they probably don't see the need to separate them either.

Aki-at

Oct 25, 2017
I think over a billion F2P downloads for Sonic, which I suspect is the bulk of the number, is still fairly impressive. I'm trying to think of any other titles that have that number of downloads and there's only a few I imagine that have done it like Clash of Clans or Candy Crush. The bulk of those downloads are probably from a single series of mobile titles too, since Sonic Dash was reported to have over half a billion total downloads last year.

I am so happy to see Yakuza just picking up speed and just increasing it's accumulated sales. I remember when it increasing by 600,000 a year was a big deal, now it's doing well over 2 million despite having similar number of titles released.

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
SEGA has so many more dormant IPs, it is excrutiating to see. A new Nights, SEGA Rally, Super Monaco, Altered Beast, Kid Chameleon, Power Stone. If SEGA had more studios to do that it would be amazing.

Oct 31, 2017
Sega your missing out on tons of extra ££££$$$$ etc by not doing your beloved older IPS like Nights, Rally, OUTRUN!! etc etc. just hopefully they have some of this in development in the background and Sega is not just going to be a Sonic/Persona/Yakuza stable.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
25 millions for FM seems low? Thought it's way bigger. I'd have guessed closer to 100 millions.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
25 millions for FM seems low? Thought it's way bigger. I'd have guessed closer to 100 millions.

It sells like 1/2 million each year, and that's with it growing a lot more recently. It's still a management game which is going to be a more niche market, at least relative to something like FIFA.