colonyoo

Oct 27, 2017
Hopping into the thread with some recent pickups! Apologies in advance for large bad photos.

c7db95b3ce.jpg

d246df4814.jpg

e1ae60878d.jpg

I saw V-Force and for the price it was sitting at, couldn't resist having a limited edition VHS + Jigsaw Puzzle Saturn release on my shelf.

Here's some bad pics of my steadily-growing-out-of-control Saturn collection as a whole! I tend to only pick up cheaper titles so there aren't too many special titles (ie, the shmups) to look for in there. The Cyberbots limited edition is probably the most I've spent on a single game here. I've got an extra handful of the dirt cheap Capcom fighters and early 1st party Sega titles coming in too so I'm gonna have to overhaul this shelf veeeerry soon.

90aed8d13e.jpg

b1bcd25718.jpg

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Yay I see a Lina Inverse fan there !

EDIT

Just got VF2 in the post and although somehow it looks a bit better than I remember I find it way to floaty and slightly limited now. Fighters Megamix is just the leader play wise.

Last edited:

colonyoo

Oct 27, 2017
I got into it recently and it's great! More on topic though, that copy of Slayers Royale was my cheapest pickup, someone happily threw it into an order I was getting for $1 extra.

Megamix is all kinds of goofy fun, the kind of stuff I break out the Saturn for to begin with. If I was looking to play something super refined I'd probably have another system hooked up, lmao

Also, I saw some OSSC related posts in here and I wanted to ask in case there was anyone more knowledgeable than me; is it normal for line5x to cut off the left and right as well as the top and bottom? All the documentation pointed out the latter but it took me a while to notice the sides getting chopped a little bit. It's all fine if I step back to line3x, though.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think I like Megamix more than VF2. Personally I've always liked VF3 the best of the Virtua Fighter games.

My AR save file for Christmas Nights appears to be gone. No Sonic!

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I'm still shocked so few Saturn games have not been rereleased digitally. I've have a Saturn since 96 and simply can't afford the great gems that I missed buying when they came out.
I want the shining games and pds.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still shocked so few Saturn games have not been rereleased digitally. I've have a Saturn since 96 and simply can't afford the great gems that I missed buying when they came out.
I want the shining games and pds.

It's tough, Saturn architecture is so wildly different than everything else, plus you factor in rendering quads instead of triangles. I have to imagine there are issues like with PDS where the source is missing. Also the nostalgia factor, Saturn doesn't have a lot of love in the West.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's tough, Saturn architecture is so wildly different than everything else, plus you factor in rendering quads instead of triangles. I have to imagine there are issues like with PDS where the source is missing. Also the nostalgia factor, Saturn doesn't have a lot of love in the West.

Agreed. Also, some of what used to be the best arcade ports on the system are now available in better or more convenient forms. For example, the Capcom 2D arcade games are now available in arcade compilations on PS3. There are better ports of the SNK games on the PS2 that even run at 240p.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New arrival!

I've been waiting for a long time for some of those :)

X-Men vs Street Fighter
Battle Garegga
Capcom Generation vol.1 (1942, 1943, 1943 kai)
Dodonpachi
Kyukyoku tiger II Plus
Sonic Wing Special

I know last time I said I was only waiting for 3 more (Kyukyoku, Sonic Wing and CGV1) but I found such a good deal for the rest that I couldn't skip them.

I'm waiting for 3 more (Gun Frontier, Gekirindan and Shienryu) then I should be good for a while lol!

20171207_185402qes1d.jpg

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice haul, Pal. XvSF is my favorite versus series game and Garegga is just legendary.

Thanks! I have XvSF on PS1 but it's just not the same game with all the compromise they had to come with to make it work. Back in the days, with my previous saturn collection (long story...), I had Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter and liked the game very much but always regretted not purchasing XvSF instead. The regret is no more :)

As for Battle Garegga, I know about the legend. I'll definitely spend time understanding its complex score system.

Still, the game I was the most excited for is Dodonpachi. It's another one I had before back then and it's the game that made me start collecting shmup :)

I know the saturn version isn't that great but the gameplay is pretty much intact still!

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! Any tips for this guy that wants to start his collection? I have no clue where to buy (other than ebay) and what prices are right and what is a ripoff.

Also, should I be worried about disc rot or malfunctioning lenses?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
New arrival!

Kyukyoku tiger II Plus

I had no idea this existed!

Finally managed to unlock all the presents on Christmas Nights
rLK2e6Q.jpg

byJOk1Z.jpg

Wished the original Nights into dreams had a Nightopian option
L0Dm2pm.jpg

Hey guys! Any tips for this guy that wants to start his collection? I have no clue where to buy (other than ebay) and what prices are right and what is a ripoff.

Also, should I be worried about disc rot or malfunctioning lenses?

What games do you like? japanese or USA releases? spending budget?

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
These should be still somewhat cheap and just a few:

3D games / 3D fighting:
Dead or Aliver
Virtua Fighter 2
Fighters Megamix
Virtual On
Fighting Vipers
Nights into Dreams
Christmas Nights
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Gundam Side Story 1,2, 3 - Can't forget these <.<
Magical Hoppers
Winter Heat
DecAthlete/Athlete Kings

Driving:
Sega Rally
shutokou battle 97 drift king
Nissan Drivin' GT-R (which is basically Need for speed but with nissan cars)

Puzzle:
Puyo Puyo Sun
Hanagumi Taisen Columns
Baku Baku Animal
Memorial Taisen Tokkaedama puzzle

2D:
Street Fighter Zero II
Vampire Hunter Darkstalkers
guardian heroes
Saturn bomberman
Bomberman fight
X-men children of the Atom
pocket fighters
king of fighters - require 1meg RAM cart
samurai showdown's - require 1meg RAM cart
Fatal Fury 3 - requires 1meg RAM cart
Xmen vs Street Fighter - requires 4meg RAM cart
Marvel vs Street Fighter - requires 4meg RAM cart
Vampire Savior - requires 4meg RAM cart
Goldenaxe the Duel
Silhouette Mirage
Astal
Darius Gaiden
Fantastic pinball Kyuutenkai

Shootemups:
Gokujo Parodius Deluxe pack
Sexy Parodius
Layer Section
soukyugurentai
Detana twinbee deluxe pack
gradius deluxe pack
salamander deluxe pack
MSX collection
Metal Black
Thunderforce V

Last edited:

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd say the essential ones are:
-Nights into Dreams
-Panzer Dragoon I & II
-Sega Rally
-Virtua Cop
-Virtua Fighter 2 & Fighters Megamix

Those seem to be the famous ones and they are still pretty cheap, especially if you import.

Two other favourites of mine are Die Hard Arcade and Darius Gaiden, which might be worth a look if you like beat em up or schump.

EDIT You have Nights and Panzer listed as 3D Fighters piggy.

Oct 27, 2017
These should be still somewhat cheap and just a few:

3D fighting:
Dead or Aliver
Virtua Fighter 2
Fighters Megamix
Virtual On
Fighting Vipers
Nights into Dreams
Christmas Nights
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Gundam Side Story 1,2, 3 - Can't forget these <.<

Driving:
Sega Rally
shutokou battle 97 drift king
Nissan Drivin' GT-R (which is basically Need for speed but with nissan cars)

Puzzle:
Puyo Puyo Sun
Hanagumi Taisen Columns
Baku Baku Animal
Memorial Taisen Tokkaedama puzzle

2D:
Street Fighter Zero II
Vampire Hunter Darkstalkers
guardian heroes
Saturn bomberman
Bomberman fight
X-men children of the Atom
pocket fighters
king of fighters - require 1meg RAM cart
samurai showdown's - require 1meg RAM cart
Fatal Fury 3 - requires 1meg RAM cart
Xmen vs Street Fighter - requires 4meg RAM cart
Marvel vs Street Fighter - requires 4meg RAM cart
Vampire Savior - requires 4meg RAM cart
Goldenaxe the Duel
Silhouette Mirage
Astal
Darius Gaiden
Fantastic pinball Kyuutenkai

Shootemups:
Gokujo Parodius Deluxe pack
Sexy Parodius
Layer Section
soukyugurentai
Detana twinbee deluxe pack
gradius deluxe pack
salamander deluxe pack
MSX collection
Metal Black
Thunderforce V

Thank you veryu much!

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the essential ones are:

Those seem to be the famous ones and they are still pretty cheap, especially if you import.

Two other favourites of mine are Die Hard Arcade and Darius Gaiden, which might be worth a look if you like beat em up or schump.

EDIT You have Nights and Panzer listed as 3D Fighters piggy.

I forget about die hard arcade a lot..
should have been 3D games/3D fighters. ah well gonna edit and add some extras.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
JXrOEra.jpg

scenario 2 down!
goddamn, that 2nd to last fight where i had literally 4 dudes fighting everyone inside the tank has gotta be the hardest fight yet

you grow to love prince median & crew but man are they all his dad's bitches. it's hard to root for them at the end when they opt to be chumps at every turn & surprised when the emperor continues being a huge dick because "fate" or whatever.

again, when Julian dipped halfway through to actually focus on Vandals rather than this petty war, i wanted to go with him - can't wait to get into ep 3 soon!

related: still gotta find a deal on Premium Disc one day

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
JXrOEra.jpg

scenario 2 down!
goddamn, that 2nd to last fight where i had literally 4 dudes fighting everyone inside the tank has gotta be the hardest fight yet

you grow to love prince median & crew but man are they all his dad's bitches. it's hard to root for them at the end when they opt to be chumps at every turn & surprised when the emperor continues being a huge dick because "fate" or whatever.

again, when Julian dipped halfway through to actually focus on Vandals rather than this petty war, i wanted to go with him - can't wait to get into ep 3 soon!

related: still gotta find a deal on Premium Disc one day

Congrats man. Did you spend some time in the secret dungeon? The tank battle is a little easier if you got Pappets and enslave some monsters.

You're 100% right about Medion. It's interesting seeing him struggle to gain independence only to have it taken from him towards the end of Scenario 2. I really enjoy how it ends up being resolved and I can't wait to hear your opinion on it.

I think the Empire is inspired heavily from Japan's Shogunate. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be a person with decent morals in a military dictatorship.

By the way, did you rescue General Rogan?

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
thanks dave!

Congrats man. Did you spend some time in the secret dungeon? The tank battle is a little easier if you got Pappets and enslave some monsters.

You're 100% right about Medion. It's interesting seeing him struggle to gain independence only to have it taken from him towards the end of Scenario 2. I really enjoy how it ends up being resolved and I can't wait to hear your opinion on it.

I think the Empire is inspired heavily from Japan's Shogunate. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be a person with decent morals in a military dictatorship.

By the way, did you rescue General Rogan?

i did not spend time in the secret dungeon, im reading that would've really helped haha...never even tried out the new guys abilities!

oh my god yes, that really does fit - at times it was like a bit from lone wolf & cub, watching the corruption up top push the more noble into doing awful things that they hate, because of duty. it was tragic watching everyone rationalize tow the line, regardless of how much i had medion shake his head. watching the centaurs egg each other on was something, but symbios noting how medion's heart wasn't it in was brutal too

and yeah, i totally saved rogan...his input towards the end was likewise heartbreaking.

also, that twist...how the fuck is that guy julian?! how many double agent ninjas were there?! looks like im going back in soon...

buxtoc

Oct 29, 2017
UK
OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get into Shining Force III.

I have the US version of Ep 1, are the two others properly fan-translated? Will order on Ebay and apply a patch if that's the case!

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
they are indeed, that's how i'm playing them! it's really easy to use shining force central's ISO patcher as well, and i think i'm on version 1.8 or something? there's not been a single hiccup. tags at the very beginning aside, you'd not know you weren't playing an official release.

diving back into Scenario 3 chapter 3 tonight, i can't wait!

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I don't know. I'm resisting because I'll be spending a ton in a few weeks but I imagine you get both: people needing money and selling stuff off and people buying more than they would. It's probably cheaper now but it's a lot more competitive. With ebay blasting me with "15 dollars off" "10 % off" etc it's gotten be hard to resist buying things that I've had my eyes on.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does stuff usually spike around now? id heard somewhere dudes sell old shit to get crhistmas money too so i wasnt sure

I don't know. I'm resisting because I'll be spending a ton in a few weeks but I imagine you get both: people needing money and selling stuff off and people buying more than they would. It's probably cheaper now but it's a lot more competitive. With ebay blasting me with "15 dollars off" "10 % off" etc it's gotten be hard to resist buying things that I've had my eyes on.
yeah i was shopping around with those coupons =)

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
SHINING FORCE III: SCENARIO 3 UPDATE (for Laevateinn & others)

in chapter 5 now, and shit's getting real!

godamn, that first battle in floaty town should've been easy but it was one of my closest ones yet! so, i'd read that i could just make a beeline for our HQ & take out the boss, right? which since i was hoping to tie this up in the next few days (plus there's so many goddamn enemies on the map the game had slowdown, haha) sounded good, but was off to a rough start: just coming around the first bend, we had Katie (our badass archer), Isa (princess healer) and whats-her-name badass mage wiped out with a quickness. it's okay, right? ive got a squad of badasses now, we'll make it!

...only, the boss & his buddies stay on the roof of HQ and don't budge. so now we turn & face the hordes, wipe them out (without losing anyone else! well. a red dragon we'd recruited but that was gonna happen) and...they still don't budge.

we veer off to the side to take out a barrel (they hide goodies!), wipe out another team that shows up, losing Thousand (our mighty white dragon) and...still nothing! so we head back to the start to pick off the remaining forces, thinking that's gotta trigger them, right?

big mistake

like twice as many baddies appear out of nowhere - numerous blue dragons & chimeras and such - and half the team is now in a pincer while lo and behold, the fucking boss & co decide now's the time to wake up. godchild-but-otherwise-not-super-useful-so-far Gracia is hit twice and is now paralyzed with less than 10 HP, a particular problem since this scenario forces him to share Julian (main character)'s trait of having the whole team lose if he loses (editor's note: Julian is a badass who never loses so this is only a concern for Gracia).

things are looking really bad here - one character can reach gracia but again, he's about to die, can't move, and has 2 tough enemies around him. do i:
a) heal gracia? i have one item that heals 30 HP, but that's not gonna be enough
b) wake him & hope he gets a turn to escape before dying?
c) attack one of the monsters and hope the other one misses?
these are all shitty options!

fortunately, there's a d): Spirel - who i busted my ass to not kill during Scenario 1 - can just barely reach the newly descended boss, who has like 70 HP...but she comes through with the clutch FATAL ATTACK or whatever shit she'd used on poor Symbios' team 2 games ago and kills said boss in 1 move, literally saving the day

goddamn are fights like that stressful but rewarding

onto the 1st trail tonight! and also figuring out if Primula is worth benching someone.

ps were those game devs i saw with their pictures as shopkeepers?

Last edited:

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
SF3? That wasn't on the Saturn and you can find it on reasonably modern systems like the X360 and PS3.

SFA3? That's coming out as part of a collection pack in 2018 for PC, Xbox, PS4 and (I think) Switch. It also comes with all three revisions of SF3.

Edit: disregard all of the above. SF is Street Fighter for me in any conversation regardless of context.

Last edited:

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
I think at this point I've decided that the Saturn is a superior console to the Dreamcast, if you take the Japanese library into account.

Library of good shmups and fighters is more robust IMHO, and the controller is light-years ahead.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Yup
certain decisions you make throughout each one could have an effect on the story in scenario 2 and 3

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i'm sorta confused with Shining force III. so the US version is just scenario 1?

yup! which is literally one side of a trilogy/war. it's so upsetting, though i'm still unclear as to stuff i'd read that said it was made to be more self-contained, cause the ending i got in the US one clearly pointed to more to come.

thanks to the excellent fan translation from shining force central, you can play scenarios 2 & 3 on emulator or a modded saturn (i'm doing the latter)

Yup
certain decisions you make throughout each one could have an effect on the story in scenario 2 and 3

also this! actions have consequences, and can greatly affect who's around in later chapters too
it was so far ahead of its time