MadeMan

Dec 3, 2017
Sydney, Australia
The other way around. Shining the Holy Ark takes place twenty years before Shining Force 3. It explains in more detail the whole Vandal/Innovator thing, takes place in Enrich, introduces Galm, and has this.

Ah, interesting! It plays like Shining in the Darkness, right? I never got into SitD, but if StHA is a lot better i might try it. I couldn't get into the dungeon crawler pen & paper grid map gameplay of Darkness.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Ah, interesting! It plays like Shining in the Darkness, right? I never got into SitD, but if StHA is a lot better i might try it. I couldn't get into the dungeon crawler pen & paper grid map gameplay of Darkness.
Shining the Holy Ark provides a map function (although it took me almost the entire game to figure it out my first time). It's excellent. I love replaying it.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
some old StHA pics. The atmosphere in this game... some of those dungeons are creepy..

ZVZ4Znp.jpg

VqozwQ8.jpg

FeIFhG6.jpg

HwFjLlD.jpg

b2YsWcI.jpg

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i don't even play etrian or a lot of dungeon crawlers, but again, i loved darkness as a kid, and holy ark was the finest in that sub-genre that i've played. i loved the music, atmosphere, story, just all of it.

The other way around. Shining the Holy Ark takes place twenty years before Shining Force 3. It explains in more detail the whole Vandal/Innovator thing, takes place in Enrich, introduces Galm, and has this.

398-shining_the_holy_ark_u-1.jpg

yeah, the ties are deep! this one stood out for me towards the end of scenario 3 as well

bsVbvLU.png

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
It took a little while to get the OSSC, RGB cables, and to find these games in great condition (spine and registration card included), but it's all here at last.

img_05y0rk7.png

I'm really impressed with the OSSC. So far I've tested it with the Sega Saturn and Genesis, and both look incredible. The scan lines look very good too.

img_04u0obc.png

There are a few other relatively cheap games I still need to pick up (Panzer Dragoon and Dynamite Deka), but the rest will have to come slowly.

img_02soumg.png
img_01j7uc7.png

Pictures from a phone that have to be resized doesn't quite do it justice, but the OSSC does an amazing job. Vampire Savior also has some incredible artwork.

I have a PVM which I love the look of, but persistent geometry/aging/physical space issues are pushing me reeeaally close to just getting an OSSC.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey Saturn peeps, i just order a bunch of Saturn games off ebay.

i didn't get 1 title but wanted to ask how come outrun is so pricey for Saturn?

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
...it is? damn, i was thinking about going back & getting more of the JP AGES releases (no hurry since i have the US one for now) but i'm guessing enough YT people told everyone about the greatest racing game of all time™

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how come outrun is so pricey for Saturn?

The Sega Ages version had a pretty low print run in the US. But really it's down to idiots overpaying and then other sellers / scalpers adjusting their pricing to match. Rinse and repeat for a decade and you now have a lot of games going for 5-6 times what they used to.

It's bordering on Neo Geo levels of absurdity

Not at all. Even a title like Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru in great condition is chump change compared to AES collecting.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was looking at the JYP version figuring it was cheap but it's pretty high. like 50 bucks. i was expecting sega rally prices.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
About game prices, is there a resource available that gives you some idea what you should be paying for games, specifically Japanese games?

I know there's pricecharting.com, but I think they only do US prices.

Deleted member 5956

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was looking at the JYP version figuring it was cheap but it's pretty high. like 50 bucks. i was expecting sega rally prices.

The Japanese version is common as hell and really should be around the same price as Sega Rally. But unfortunately any real pricing logic around this stuff went out of the window 4 or 5 years ago. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone trying to build a collection in the current market.

About game prices, is there a resource available that gives you some idea what you should be paying for games, specifically Japanese games?

https://www.satakore.com/ gives you a loose rarity and price rating for each game but it looks pretty outdated now. Unfortunately eBay's sold listings is about the only way you can gauge what people are willing to pay on the JP stuff.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not sure why you feel sorry, i got a bunch of titles for 10-30 bucks each, Saturn JYP are mostly cheap. it's the US Saturn prices that are crazy.

Deleted member 5956

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not sure why you feel sorry, i got a bunch of titles for 10-30 bucks each, Saturn JYP are mostly cheap. it's the US Saturn prices that are crazy.

Depends what you collect, every system has common titles that remain pretty static in price. The really cool and in demand Japanese exclusives have exploded in price over the last few years and I do feel sorry for people paying £100+ for games that used to cost £20 in the same condition.

But you are right that the US library seems to have seen more of a price hike across the board compared to the Japanese titles.

Deleted member 5956

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing it for years with no issues, but I forget about intermediaries. I just have friends ship it to me.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Currently trying to see how I can survive in Nobunaga no Yabou - Tenshouki. My first attempt failed and I didn't expect much from the 2nd, but it's roped me in and it looks like I may have a way forward.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
god, if i go back to finish it up, i definitely need one - i think i have a sega arcade stick, not sure what other saturn options i have that may support turbo?

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
^that's cool, gonna be great to finally have an option to play backups on real hardware! took me a while to find the right modchip for my model 2 & someone to install it, that's infinitely easier and the only drawback seems to be the same as the AR, which is your memory card slot is taken up (does that thing work as a memory cart too?)

Oct 25, 2017
^that's cool, gonna be great to finally have an option to play backups on real hardware! took me a while to find the right modchip for my model 2 & someone to install it, that's infinitely easier and the only drawback seems to be the same as the AR, which is your memory card slot is taken up (does that thing work as a memory cart too?)

I'm not sure. It plugs into the mpeg card slot, not the cart slot.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, yeah i really haven't looked into this at all - any chance it also handles the MPEG card duties?
reading the comments: first post on that Armouredpriest linked, ProdAbrasive: "It won't support MPEG decoding, either directly or through a passthrough. It's just too hard for a case that is not much used. I'm disappointed not to be able to do everything, but that's how it has to be."

man, i'm looking into getting another action replay cart to play backups. maybe i should wait for this.

tuglaw

Oct 27, 2017
Shining the Holy Ark then the Shining Force 3 titles.

Shining Wisdom is just a simple, fun Zelda clone and barely has anything to do with the Shining universe. If you do play it, try to get a turbo controller.

Thanks!

reading the comments: first post on that Armouredpriest linked, ProdAbrasive: "It won't support MPEG decoding, either directly or through a passthrough. It's just too hard for a case that is not much used. I'm disappointed not to be able to do everything, but that's how it has to be."

man, i'm looking into getting another action replay cart to play backups. maybe i should wait for this.

Understandable, not many games use it.
But perhaps someone can make a homebrew MPEG decoding software that runs along any game, since the console will be constantly reading the game from the sd card/usb.

In case someone still wants a Cartridge-based solution, the "Gamer's Cart" will probably be on stock next month: http://ppcenter.webou.net/satcart/
(Edit: Forgot that this one doesn't work for games that require RAM expansion.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty excited more Saturn mod options are coming down the pipe.

thanks to Piggychan 's amazing streetfighter vs. x-men pics, i ordered myself a copy with a bunch of other fighting games this morning. might take a few weeks or a month, but i'll post them when arrive =)

tuglaw

Oct 27, 2017
Could anyone tell me if the Japanese version of Burning Rangers has an English option for voice and text, in-game or by changing the language settings in the console?

I have a small Saturn collection which hasn't changed in years, but it never feels complete without that game. Sadly the other versions are too expensive.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I googled the answer and found some people recommending it anyway. Maybe it'll be fine? I hope so, because I just ordered a copy for myself.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
some old StHA pics. The atmosphere in this game... some of those dungeons are creepy..
Nostalgia! I was extremely happy when my brother got us this game for the Saturn because I was longing for an RPG after seeing friends with their Playstations and Final Fantasies.

I must say though, I was extremely proud of my very young self being able to recruit that ninja wolf guy without any guides (by accident too lol)

MadeMan

Dec 3, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I googled the answer and found some people recommending it anyway. Maybe it'll be fine? I hope so, because I just ordered a copy for myself.
I think you'll be fine, if anything you could use a FAQ probably.

Yep, you can probably get by with an FAQ.

One of the really cool things that impressed me about BR when it came out was that the navigation and tips were all done verbally, not through text or map updates. You could hit a button to talk to dispatch and they'd tell you 'Go straight ahead', 'Look for the second level balcony' etc over the intercom.

Really cool little system that seemed so ahead of it's time. Having said that, from memory you shouldn't have TOO much trouble making your own way around and then using an FAQ for anything too obscure.

tuglaw

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info on Burning Rangers.

I love those games. I'm so glad I have a CRT to keep playing them.
HotD is a bit of a shit port, but still worth playing imo. Especially since there's no other port of 1.

My flat screen CRT died a while ago. There are some solutions to use light guns on LED TVs, but no one has made something that you could just buy and enjoy.

There's a PC port of the first House of the Dead, I remember it being okay back in the day.

funny, i'm actually bidding on House of the dead =)

Wait, is HotD another rare Saturn game?

MadeMan

Dec 3, 2017
Sydney, Australia

My flat screen CRT died a while ago. There are some solutions to use light guns on LED TVs, but no one has made something that you could just buy and enjoy.

There's a PC port of the first House of the Dead, I remember it being okay back in the day.

I forgot about the PC port. Was it light gun compatible?

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

nah, i see it for about 10-20 bucks.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
The Japanese version is not rare. It is a little gimped, though (only green blood), but for most people that should be an acceptable compromise.

The US version is one of the last Saturn games produced in the region, so CIB can go up to around $200 at the moment. Disc-only can shave half of that off, but that's still $100 or so.

buxtoc

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Does anyone have any experience with the wireless IR controllers?

It is my dream to play my Saturn without wires, but I'm not sure if the IR unit is up to the job or if the new retrobit controllers will connect to the console by a Bluetooth dongle

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did Saturn have any 3p wireless controller solutions?

Started playing Shining Holy Ark tonight, right at the beginning: been a while since i setup the Saturn so i took some snaps at boot up.
CVY8OPah.jpg

6wZGSLrh.jpg

jSpHGPXh.jpg

cTCkrTgh.jpg

4KTjBFKh.jpg

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
your CRTs are multiplying since you last had a JVC model :o

the battle music in STHA is superb!

gonna paste some screens on Silhouette Mirage. A strange but cool game. Not a game you can pick up and play.

yBs6JzM.jpg

C7dJr2m.jpg

971CkKR.jpg

XDZpKa0.jpg

wWDI9Kq.jpg

with debug mode enabled
XI9dh5S.jpg

v0dlLQ8.jpg