• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
No turn-based strategy Shining Force, no buy.

Also stop hiring Tony Taka to design the characters. They're horrendous.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
For what it's worth, I think it's really neat that a legit fighting game happened with the IP because of its desire to do anything but something resembling classic strategy, so that's something.

What's the name of the game? I'd like to check it out.

If you aren't familiar with Shining, are you at least familiar with Valkyria Chronicles? If so then imagine instead of getting Valkyria Chronicles 4, we got two decades of Valkyria Revolution style spinoffs. That's what Sega's done to the Shining series.

I think the only announcement I'd actually get excited over is a Shining Force 3 remaster but I don't think there's any chance it'd happen.

Fair enough; I actually only started looking into the series fairly recently, so I'm not aware of anything past Shining Force 3 or Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn. But if that's what they've doing....ouch.

Why Atlus over Relic and Creative Assembly? People who have experience with Strategy games?

Maybe they can get Atlus + Relic or even all three of them on it together. Atlus for the visual style, general story and soundtrack/general scenario direction, Relic and Creative Assembly for the core game mechanics, all three of them on structuring out the missions and plot beats etc.

It'd possibly also leave all three of them free to work on other stuff alongside it as well.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the name of the game? I'd like to check it out.

Blade Arcus from Shining EX, released in the west only on Steam as Blade Arcus from Shining: Battle Arena. I haven't played it yet but it seems like a very middle of the road anime fighter with characters from the 6 Tony Taka games as well as two or three original characters. And like literally every Shining game since Shining Force 3 it wasn't primarily developed in-house but instead by Studio Saizensen (who also developed Shining Hearts).

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
We will see how this turns out.

would be interesting if we got a new attempt at a classic Shining Force style game

Artstyle wise Tony Taka is a fantastic artist but I do think a visual shake up wouldn't be bad either.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Also people don't like the new shining games because sega did some stupid things to promote like deleting shining force 3 videos on YouTube lol.

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of new Shinning game , I would like if they fund another Resonance of Fate

Yes! Heck, I'd settle for a port to PC/New consoles.

We may not have gotten VP3, but I did really enjoy RoF.

Artstyle wise Tony Taka is a fantastic artist

Man I just cannot agree with that. Like, even ignoring the creep-factor I just really dislike his character designs. I'd be more interested in these games even as B-grade ARPGs, because I love B-grade ARPGs, if the characters weren't so.... blegh.

Last edited:

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
I hope fire emblems revival, and echoes baby steps into shining territory (semi explore towns, actually go through dungeons instead of just board after board) gives Sega courage to think there's an audience for a good shining force.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Please no more Tony Taka Shining age.

I want back the theme of Shining Force with strategy.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's bizarre how stubbornly they've avoided making a shining game that is either a first person dungeon crawler or strategy rpg. It's like they looked at the original slate of games and out of the first ten decided, "you know, Shining Wisdom was clearly the best. Let's just go that way."

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's bizarre how stubbornly they've avoided making a shining game that is either a first person dungeon crawler or strategy rpg. It's like they looked at the original slate of games and out of the first ten decided, "you know, Shining Wisdom was clearly the best. Let's just go that way."

They have no problem putting Shining Force 1 and 2 in their Classic game collections though! What a bizarre company.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
They have no problem putting Shining Force 1 and 2 in their Classic game collections though! What a bizarre company.

You forgot about the Shining Force 1 remake and the rereleases on phones. They also released some of the game gear games on the 3DS' VC.

"They exist! ...we barely care."

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
If this IS a new shining game, I wonder if it's being developed by Media vision again. I heard good things about the last one, but i'd prefer Media Vision went back to wild arms and made a new mainline entry on consoles, but this could be cool too I guess.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
The modern Shining games are more like the Tales of games then even Shining at this point. The new lead behind the Shining games does seem interested in reviving the series in the west (which is one reason were getting Shining Resonance) so maybe we'll get surprised and they are actually going to make a new Shining Force game and it won't be terrible. I'd think saying that is nuts just a few months ago but a few months ago I never thought we'd ever get another Shining game in the west either so.... we'll see I guess? I'm not saying have hope or get excited at all, this is Sega still but it seems a lot more possible then it did a few months ago at least.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The modern Shining games are more like the Tales of games then even Shining at this point. The new lead behind the Shining games does seem interested in reviving the series in the west (which is one reason were getting Shining Resonance) so maybe we'll get surprised and they are actually going to make a new Shining Force game and it won't be terrible. I'd think saying that is nuts just a few months ago but a few months ago I never thought we'd ever get another Shining game in the west either so.... we'll see I guess? I'm not saying have hope or get excited at all, this is Sega still but it seems a lot more possible then it did a few months ago at least.

Oh for sure. Sega has been open about trying to give western fans more of what they want. And Sonic Mania and their push for Valkyrie Chronicles 4 makes me think they might actually try giving fans what they've been asking for.

...but I don't think either of us should reach a real consensus until Synbios chimes in. :p

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Oh for sure. Sega has been open about trying to give western fans more of what they want. And Sonic Mania and their push for Valkyrie Chronicles 4 makes me think they might actually try giving fans what they've been asking for.

...but I don't think either of us should reach a real consensus until Synbios chimes in. :p

Camelot did express their interest in making Shining Force 4. It hurt to read because Sega won't fund it. :'( https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...and-other-camelot-and-treasures-tidbits.2030/

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The original Shining games all did quite bad in Japan. After Camelot left they SEGA to make Shining games in the original style for awhile but they all did poorly everywhere. I do not blame them for sticking with what they found to work for them, but I am way beyond disappointed with how it turned out.

Camelot's still the best choice for the ones to save the series, but SEGA has quite a few studios that could handle quality strategy games in a similar enough style. Silky's suggestions for Creative Assembly or Relic handling the games is pretty cool (Personally I want to see Relic at least tackle a followup to Herzog Zwei), but they work independently and would have to pitch the ideas themselves I think.

Not to rain on the parade of anyone who actually likes the modern Shining games though. If nothing else I hope Refrain does well enough to get the future games localized too, and I love that it is coming to all major viable platforms instead of just a handful of them arbitrarily.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I'll only be on board with a Tony Shining if it's a self-parody with stupid characters making stupid faces a la Konosuba.

Edit: With the recent success of Fire Emblem, Sega's gotta be crazy to not to deliver something that fans of the former will eat up.

Last edited:

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018

Blade Arcus from Shining EX, released in the west only on Steam as Blade Arcus from Shining: Battle Arena. I haven't played it yet but it seems like a very middle of the road anime fighter with characters from the 6 Tony Taka games as well as two or three original characters. And like literally every Shining game since Shining Force 3 it wasn't primarily developed in-house but instead by Studio Saizensen (who also developed Shining Hearts).

Interesting; appreciate the heads-up, thanks! I don't mess with Steam tho, so it might be a while before I look further into this one.

The original Shining games all did quite bad in Japan. After Camelot left they SEGA to make Shining games in the original style for awhile but they all did poorly everywhere. I do not blame them for sticking with what they found to work for them, but I am way beyond disappointed with how it turned out.

Camelot's still the best choice for the ones to save the series, but SEGA has quite a few studios that could handle quality strategy games in a similar enough style. Silky's suggestions for Creative Assembly or Relic handling the games is pretty cool (Personally I want to see Relic at least tackle a followup to Herzog Zwei), but they work independently and would have to pitch the ideas themselves I think.

Not to rain on the parade of anyone who actually likes the modern Shining games though. If nothing else I hope Refrain does well enough to get the future games localized too, and I love that it is coming to all major viable platforms instead of just a handful of them arbitrarily.

Let's just say Japan had some..."questionable" tastes w/ JRPGs and SRPGs during a large chunk of that era if they ignored quality games like Shining III and Holy xD

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Is that Shining Resonance game that's coming out here any good or is it just another cookie-cutter rpg?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying so hard not to hope for a proper, new Shining Force game. But I'm a bitch that always let's his heart her broken.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't have a problem with Tony Takas art, but rather Shinings shitty gameplay mechanics. It's like a poor man so Tales.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sega and Nintendo could share rights and help Camelot make a more traditional Shining game again, like they did with Bayonetta. I know Camelot is technically a third party and could work with Sega directly but I think Nintendo is the only company at this point that'd pony up the cash. Even then they'd probably just make a new Golden Sun instead, but maybe not if Sega agrees to invest in it too.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
I'd kill for remakes of Shining Force I and II, or even just a complete localised release of III (doesn't even have to be a remake!). Hell, I'd be happy with a Shining Soul III.

I doubt any of these things will come to pass, though.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I'm a big Total War fan but what on earth would CA or Relic know about creating a RPG?

Indeed, the RPG part is what sets Shining Force apart from games like Tactics Ogre. There are plenty of games like that which consist of nothing but battles, cutscenes and wading through menus, but very few which attempt to meld that with actual exploration. Arc the Lad is only other series at all close, but that's also dead in the water.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Count me in the camp that's a fan of the original Shining Force games, but couldn't care less about the other titles that have come out since. It's especially odd IMO that Sega hasn't tried going back to the SRPG playstyle of the originals in the wake of Nintendo successfully reviving Fire Emblem to a larger audience via Awakening (which I ended up buying and enjoying since it--for me--scratched the SRPG itch I hadn't received in years).

If they're not going to bother with a proper SFIV (not to be confused with Street Fighter :v) then the least they could do is make a proper port / remake of SF III. One of the more egregious examples of circulating the tapes since Sega didn't even bother releasing all three parts outside Japan.

Given their recent track record I'td be a Shining turd.

ayyyyyyyyyyy

Why Atlus over Relic and Creative Assembly?

IIRC Atlus remade the original Shining Force for the GBA....although that was admittedly over a decade ago. They are a pretty talented studio nonetheless, I wouldn't mind giving them a shot at it.

Also people don't like the new shining games because sega did some stupid things to promote like deleting shining force 3 videos on YouTube lol.

Oh yeah, I actually forgot about that happening lmao. That was a really stupid and bizarrely spiteful move on Sega's part. I remember reading something to the effect that TotalBiscuit (who got hit the hardest by the videos being taken down) stopped making videos about Sega games because of that incident.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough; I actually only started looking into the series fairly recently, so I'm not aware of anything past Shining Force 3 or Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn. But if that's what they've doing....ouch.
One way of looking at it is that since Shining force 3 the subsequent games in the series have been Shining games in the same way that Metal gear Survive is a Metal Gear game. The IP holder still releases games in the series but the original creators are long gone.
There was a time when the Shining series stood shoulder to shoulder with other series like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in terms of well regarded console jrpgs.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Oh yeah, I actually forgot about that happening lmao. That was a really stupid and bizarrely spiteful move on Sega's part. I remember reading something to the effect that TotalBiscuit (who got hit the hardest by the videos being taken down) stopped making videos about Sega games because of that incident.
It stings because TotalBiscuit made a whole Let's Play of Shining Force III for SomethingAwful, back before he blew up on YouTube. Maybe it's still possible to find and watch those videos, but all the effort he put into the series has gone to waste. I really enjoyed it and hoped that he would one day restart the LP, but so it goes.

Sega of Japan's mix of apathy and misdirection with Shining as a franchise continues to disappoint me. I expect Resonance will sell well enough for the current serious producers to feel vindicated by history, if only because certain players will unknowingly (or knowingly...as if they lack waifus elsewhere) bankroll more games like this at the expense of something interesting.