• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
image04.jpg

How will you develop Sonic in the future?

Simply put, I want to surpass Mario. Sonic is a game that was originally developed to compete with Mario, and it still hasn't achieved that goal. Our goal is to catch up and surpass Mario because we respect Mario.
I want people to play it all over the world, including Japan, like Mario, and I want the movie to be a bigger hit than Mario. I would like USJ to create a ``Sonic Area'' as well. That's our goal for those of us who love Sonic.

Google Translate used

From their Japanese recruitment page: https://www.sega.co.jp/recruit/episode/episode09/

I appreciate the commitment, and that's all it should be taken as. Game development is tough and even if you have a strong desire and goal in mind...hitting that target will never happen, some things are just out of your control.

EDIT: Wrong use of the word cringe. I thought of reactions to that quote tbh

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
of all things sonic to call cringe this is one of the least deserving ones

its ambition with respect. what did you find wrong about it

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Well, Mario is the King. Striving for something like that is great đź‘Ť

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the cringe you brought up. This is just pure honesty and drive to be better. No different to like athletes compared to others. Always will take honesty over hot air like so many put out.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I see the issue with the quote. They know Mario is the top dog, and they want to be the scrappy underdog (which nowadays is…an interestinf angle).

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Then please give Sonic games more time in the oven. You'll never surpass Mario by rushing every game.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it cringe? Wasn't Sonic main competition Mario in the SNES and Genesis days? What's wrong with wanting to reach that level of competitiveness again and dethrone their main rival?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, it does not seem cringe at all.

It was a respectful message acknowledging Mario's brand strength while admitting that strength is what moves you forward.

Reminds me of the best humble athletes when they talk about other top athletes.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Development teams determined to excel by using competition to drive themselves is cringe these days

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I don't think it's cringe.

A good goal and probably only really achievable by Mario dropping quality than Sonic raising it, if I'm being realistic.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's cringe about respecting the top of the game and striving to become better? That's exactly how things improve.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
It's not a bad thing to recognize the leading product in their competitive space. I really enjoyed Sonic 2, 3, Knuckles, Adventure 1, Adventure 2, and Mania. But the rest of the catalogue (with some exceptions) is just not up to par. Sega and the sonic team really need to take a hard look at the scope of their projects, the budget allocated, their talent, and take steps to figure out what the problem is. It should be unacceptable to have a backslide in quality like we got between Mania and Sonic Superstars.

I hope they keep the lofty goals and get their house in order to make the game they want to.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
image04.jpg

Google Translate used

From their Japanese recruitment page: https://www.sega.co.jp/recruit/episode/episode09/

Very cringe, and I don't use that word often. But I appreciate the commitment, and that's all it should be taken as. Game development is tough and even if you have a strong desire and goal in mind...hitting that target will never happen, some things are just out of your control.
I don't get it. What about this is cringe?

Oct 27, 2017
are all these "cringe" posts meant to be ironic and cringy themselves??? because i don't understand how they're actual reactions to what he said

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Sonic as a game at its core is never going to be able to compete with Mario, realistically. But it's good to have high ambitions for what Sonic *can* be, I guess.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing cringe about wanting to surpass something you respect. They won't be able to do that unless they respect themselves more though.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i don't see what's cringe here. they respect mario and nintendo and what they've been able to achieve and want to be able to do that and better. it's not a statement saying they're going to be able to do it, probably no matter how hard they try, but they want to work and match the quality and respect that mario usually carries with it with sonic and honestly good on them.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I'm proud of them for thinking this way. It's level-headed and ambitious. I think Mario is too far gone as far as just taking over the world for Sonic to get there , but while it's not necessarily a realistic goal, establishing that goal means drawing a line in the sand about the quality of their franchise and what they want to achieve with it.

Apr 20, 2022
I don't think it's cringe. He clearly admires Mario and thinks the series is better. Mario is the goal to attain, the standard. That's extremely high praise coming from what used to be a strong rival, it's like 2 players having massive respect for one another

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Arzest are famously the team you go for when you want to go blow for blow with Nintendo's best.

Seriously, it's nice to want things. I'd love to own my own luxury mansion with dozens of rooms and an infinite budget to do whatever I want. I'd say that's significantly more likely than sonic ever being in the same ballpark of quality as mario ever again.

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I think the fact you don't use the word cringe often is why you have misused it here. I could be wrong, though.

I think the reactions I imagined on social media and on here are what make me cringe. I was ready for people to shit all over that quote, so I'm pleasantly surprised that people did not so far.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a good thing if they've understood what goes into a good Mario game and aren't just rushing Sonic games out anymore.