• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Problem is that even if they make games as good as the classic ones people love, it wouldnt fly the same heights as it would in the 90's because of how the game is based on arcade game design. It demands mastery and replaying levels to learn how to keep momentum in each one is taken as a given, and that is just not how games are made nowadays, besides fighting games. The reason i dont like these games anymore despite growing up with them is because i hate how sonic moves when you dont know the layout of the leven and have to do platforming, it simply is not fun. When i was a kid the character design and music was enough to keep me engaged, but its not enough nowadays, and i would bet it is that way for most people. Mania sold well, but it would never sell odyssey or wonder well, even if it was only original levels and they were all good.

Anyway, they should aim for donkey kong instead of mario, because the country trilogy are better games than any of the other two have to offer, and that series actually have more in common with sonic than mario.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
If Sega respected Sonic and gave the team enough time and budget, it could eventually be possible for them to match Mario... maybe. But Sega does not respect Sonic nor cares enough, so the games will not be matching Mario anytime soon or ever. It's nice to aspire to big things though.