• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
i beat phase two a bit differently than most folks - instead of staying back, I got right under him for the scream using the umbrella - even the basic one makes you immune. Then I'd hit him with the umbrella (projected force I think it's called?) and hack away at his legs. The trick is that means you can't use many firecrackers in phase 1.

I'm really glad you mentioned this about the Ape because I took on
the 2 Apes last night and the umbrella made life much easier not having to worry about the AOE terror. Not sure I would have beaten them without that approach and hell yes this is a much faster way to beat Guardian the first time easily I'm sure. I think it probably still took me about an hour to get it done, was difficult because I felt like I knew I needed to take care of the female first in the 2nd phase- and really headless was easy by himself - but its just really difficult to get them separated and I found just perusing her usually got me killed. I was so excited when I finally broke her posture because I knew it was over then and headless would be cake.

Somebody complained about the repeated use of this encounter in a recent thread about moments where you drop games, but I like that there was a story-based reason that he kept coming back, and each of these encounters was pretty unique.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I just beat
Owl @ Hirata Estates
I never even got past half of his health on the first phase and to do it just then was sweet.

I guess the question is - where do I go now?

I haven't done FHP and I haven't killed the snake. I think I need to do Guardian Ape (again) and Demon of Hatred.

What else am I missing? Where should I go next?

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
I can't believe I just beat
Owl @ Hirata Estates
I never even got past half of his health on the first phase and to do it just then was sweet.

I guess the question is - where do I go now?

I haven't done FHP and I haven't killed the snake. I think I need to do Guardian Ape (again) and Demon of Hatred.

What else am I missing? Where should I go next?

Not sure you are missing anything. Keep in mind
after 2nd ape a purple warrior spawns in that same spot
. Make sure you got all headless/warriors/minibosses

Jan 10, 2018
How does Sekiro even fit into the events of this game? Who has given the order to have him killed when Isshin is in charge? Or is he in charge? It's so confusing at times. You're just some random ninja guy who runs around and assassinates half the kingdom in order to fulfill the wishes of a small boy. I guess this is what happens when FromSoftware tries to create more conventional storytelling. It seems to be at odds with the gameplay most of the time.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
i cant watch the video, but i do got her stuck in a rock and chip away her health and posture

NO SHAME

FUCK THAT FIGHT

i guess i arrived there on a point where iwas not using confetti when needed

I just did the same thing yesterday, I don't really have the time to play right now, so I gotta do the most with what I have.

NO SHAME

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How does Sekiro even fit into the events of this game? Who has given the order to have him killed when Isshin is in charge? Or is he in charge? It's so confusing at times. You're just some random ninja guy who runs around and assassinates half the kingdom in order to fulfill the wishes of a small boy. I guess this is what happens when FromSoftware tries to create more conventional storytelling. It seems to be at odds with the gameplay most of the time.

nah it doesn't.

you owe your loyalty to Kuro as he is your Lord.

a shinobi lives and dies by his lord.

nothing else matters.

Isshin its too old and sick to put order to his troops and so genichiro is the one running things.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My expression when playing a new boss in this game: One eyebrow raised, the other furrowed, top lip lifted on one side, long exhaled sigh, eyes widened, hands shrugged.

I'm on Red-eyed Ashina Elite and I'm just lost. You lose HP even if you deflect, or am I not deflecting? I can't even tell even at this late stage. The colour of the sparks makes no difference when it's all so repeatedly fast and in your face - it's too quick for me to process and react to. I've tried the umbrella for the first time, I can't even time that right and I've ran out of spirit emblems before even the first deathblow - If I can't handle this guy I'm fucked for what comes next!

I'm going to go as far as I can, I've been pushing through this far - but I will more than likely have to bow out with my tail between my legs sooner or later. I was starting to crumble with Friede and Gael, but Sekiro has really pushed me to my From Soft limits, they're out of my league here.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure you are missing anything. Keep in mind
after 2nd ape a purple warrior spawns in that same spot
. Make sure you got all headless/warriors/minibosses

Is the purple warrior a miniboss? I totally forgot I haven't done headless (or the other terror related monster) - when do I get access to more divine confetti?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
im trying to decide if I should spend carp scales on lapis lazuli or on mask fragments. In your opinions, which are more useful (buying attack power with skills, or highest level prosthetics)?
Depends.
Are you going for achievements/trophies?
you need lapis lazuli to upgrade the prosthetics but you wont have enough in one playthrough. I have played to NG+3 and never used the mask. i don't think it's worth it because skill farming is insane the more skill points you get. At the same time the last upgrade for prosthetic that need lapis lazuli are not that useful either because they come too late

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone wish the grapple was used more in battle? I wonder if they could balance that. Batman sort of did it with his hookshot by pulling guys in. Like if they allowed you to grapple over to any enemy to close gaps like you do with Gyoubu. Or would that be too OP?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure what you mean by "order to have him killed".
Sekiro follows Kuro because he is Kuro's shinobi and strongly believes in protecting him. Genichiro wants to use him for his own gains and is the one the soldiers of Ashina are following right now because they think Isshin is old and sickly.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
My expression when playing a new boss in this game: One eyebrow raised, the other furrowed, top lip lifted on one side, long exhaled sigh, eyes widened, hands shrugged.

I'm on Red-eyed Ashina Elite and I'm just lost. You lose HP even if you deflect, or am I not deflecting? I can't even tell even at this late stage. The colour of the sparks makes no difference when it's all so repeatedly fast and in your face - it's too quick for me to process and react to. I've tried the umbrella for the first time, I can't even time that right and I've ran out of spirit emblems before even the first deathblow - If I can't handle this guy I'm fucked for what comes next!

I'm going to go as far as I can, I've been pushing through this far - but I will more than likely have to bow out with my tail between my legs sooner or later. I was starting to crumble with Friede and Gael, but Sekiro has really pushed me to my From Soft limits, they're out of my league here.

If you're taking chip damage that means you're not deflecting. There's an almost fail proof way to do it. As soon as the second spark goes up when he's about to unseath tap L1 twice. His posture will almost fill up. This is great practice that will come in handy later.

You can do it! You've finished DS1 SL1. This is easy by comparison.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
I'm starting to like Flame Vent+Living weapon a whole lot. Canceling posture recovery is a very powerful debuff against mini-bosses and with all the oil enemies drop, it's extremely easy to set them ablaze.
The "OH GOD I'M ON FIRE" dance enemies do is a great chance to get some free hits in, as well.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Best lazuli weapon in your opinions?
Shuriken. Everything else is pure shit because it either uses too many emblems like the Axe and Fire which also get trumped by the lilac umbrella or the poison dagger which isn't as good as the piercing variant especially in NG+. With the Shuriken it only uses 1 emblem, can be charged for more damage, pierces through and hits multiple enemies, and gives you the ability to dash forward.

From's balancing of skills and prosthetics is fucking awful in this game.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Shuriken. Everything else is pure shit because it either uses too many emblems like the Axe and Fire which also get trumped by the lilac umbrella or the poison dagger which isn't as good as the piercing variant especially in NG+. With the Shuriken it only uses 1 emblem, can be charged for more damage, pierces through and hits multiple enemies, and gives you the ability to dash forward.

Ok ty!

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I went for Lazulite Sabimaru because it's cooler.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR

Had no idea you could charge the shuriken.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I really had a great time with Sekiro after the first 4-5 hours hating the game. Honestly, it just really took a long time to break my muscle memory and I still even at the end figured out ways to dodge many attacks. There were some very very cool moments and bosses in the game and like many others have said the last half of the game is easier than the first half imo as well.

I am looking forward to whatever they do in the DLC, I hope the next From game is not Sekiro 2 though. Ill buy it and love it if that is what is next I am sure, but I would prefer another IP, Bloodborne 2 or Souls 4 anything with the RPG elements back.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I swear
Genichiro is harder than Ishin's second and maybe even third phase. He's so random and can kill you super quickly since it's harder to close the gap against him.

It's also super dumb that you can fall off the cliff.

HE'S DOWN I REPEAT HE'S DOWN.

Best boss battle I've faced in 36 years of playing video games. Absolutely breathtaking. Sublime ending to a sublime game.

Last edited:

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Well, I fucked up. I decided to do something different and
picked the bad choice for once (follow the iron code), and now I'm stuck to the Shura ending... once I'm done with Isshin and the 10923th multi-phase fight in this fucking game, that is. It's like it's rubbing on my face the fact I've chosen to kill Emma. FML..

I don't know if I should even try to get other endings in NG+ or just start over for them, I didn't exactly cruise through the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I fucked up. I decided to do something different and
picked the bad choice for once (follow the iron code), and now I'm stuck to the Shura ending... once I'm done with Isshin and the 10923th multi-phase fight in this fucking game, that is. It's like it's rubbing on my face the fact I've chosen to kill Emma. FML..

I don't know if I should even try to get other endings in NG+ or just start over for them, I didn't exactly cruise through the game.
NG+ is easier than NG if you don't activate the optional hard mode, so I'd say go for it.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

I back off and let him come to me then I keep my eye on his weapon and watch out for that glint from his katana. Once I see it I double tap L1 then back away to evade his third follow up slash he likes to do sometimes but also to put some distance and get him to come to me again so I can repeat the process.

Jan 15, 2018
Well, I finally beat the game, the final boss was a real bastard and made me do something I've never done before, utilize a speed cheat.

After 4 or 5 days on him I couldn't get to his final phase, I had to up my character speed to 125% to beat him, just that little bump was all I needed for things to click. I don't doubt that after a few days more I probably would have beaten him, but I was at the point where I wasn't even enjoying myself anymore, I really just wanted to see the ending that I did all the extra legwork to get.

It's so weird, no other boss in this game gave me anywhere near the hard time that the final one did, not even
Demon of Hatred.

Now that i've beaten the game, I definitely want to jump back in now and beat him at normal character speed. I won't be nearly as annoyed now that i've gotten the ending and i'll just be playing to specifically beat this dude as opposed to having him stand in the way of my finishing the game.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I've just given up on this game and deleted it in frustration after trying to
overcome Genichiro
I got to the third form and just died. I've gotten to the third form a few times and thats after many many attempts - 90 minutes at least! I really didn't want to carry on playing because i knew i'd have to keep repeating his other forms again too which are very hard anyway... and its just an act of patience and extreme frustration having to fight him again and again making less than like 3 mistakes and not dying. Reached his third form a few times and each time I'm like nope, he pretty much killed me straight away hardly scratched him.... this isn't really my thing and I don't have the time to sit here making zero progress on a game after 90 minutes. My time is precious.

Fuck this game though I really wanted to like it as I love From Software games and I can see its a well designed game, its not a crap game by any means. I normally only delete a game if its bad... This is probably the first time I've actually given up on a game and I've been gaming since Megadrive days...but something about this just didn't click with me from the start unlike their other Soulsborne games. It felt extremely unforgiving in general compared to anything else. It requires you to play very specifically and theres very little room for error or other tactics. Make just a few mistakes in a boss fight and you're pretty much dead for the duration of the fight.

I've beaten all their previous games and I don't normally give up on games either if they're too hard for me. But this isn't for me. I try to persevere but with this game I just dont want to or have the patience. Knowing theres probably tons more bosses that are gonna be much worse than this one I reached a point with this boss where I thought...am I actually enjoying this game anymore? I died 40 times or more on this boss and I wasn't enjoying it. I was getting better bit by bit maybe but I don't want to play games that way. Not even other Souls games did this. I managed to defeat nearly every boss within ten tries with a few exceptions on their other games. I liked the variety. In here its just either block, dodge or attack for bosses and it requires perfect timing. The skills are useless and just get you killed in a boss fight. They're more useful outside of bosses. The game has three moves pretty much for most scenarios. Deflect, dodge or attack. Not much variety. I just decided to delete it off the PS4 hdd because i just kept dying and thought If im not gonna do it now after learning his patterns in his first two forms I'm never gonna do it as I'll just forget what I've learned if I come back to it. I don't have the patience to keep doing this.

Like its taken me since launch to even reach this boss and that isn't because its actually taken me ages because of its difficullty (although I had lots of problems with Butterfly boss too) its because i havent really been drawn into the game and I've mostly been playing other games so I've been chipping at this one but not really mega keen on it as I haven't been sucked into it. Like after work I think of this game and I'm like oh do i have to do this or have to kill this boss...i don't really want to as it just feels like constantly dying and punishing. Not really something I wanna play after work. Whereas Souls games and Bloodborne I played nonstop until I beat them.

I just couldnt get into this one. I admit defeat but it's not for me. I don't have all the time in the world to constantly keep dying on very punishing boss fights or learn their attack patterns fully after the 50th attempt. I'd rather spend that time where I've actually made progress. It doesn't feel satisfying playing this game more an act of attrition and endurance.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
Die in agony final boss you fucking piece of shit yeeeeeeees.

He wasn't to bad actually. Now still DOH left :'(

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to like Flame Vent+Living weapon a whole lot. Canceling posture recovery is a very powerful debuff against mini-bosses and with all the oil enemies drop, it's extremely easy to set them ablaze.
The "OH GOD I'M ON FIRE" dance enemies do is a great chance to get some free hits in, as well.

Burn is probably pretty great for the last boss as he builds (and loses) posture damage quickly.

If you're taking chip damage that means you're not deflecting. There's an almost fail proof way to do it. As soon as the second spark goes up when he's about to unseath tap L1 twice. His posture will almost fill up. This is great practice that will come in handy later.

Didn't even know it was hitting multiple times. I thought it was some weird attack that got through a block. Game changer. I used the step dodge method but sometimes he would delay the attack and it would screw up my timings.

Anyone else think they will add/change something to XP in an update or DLC? Like some item you can buy to convert excess sen into XP.

Jan 10, 2018
Not sure what you mean by "order to have him killed".
Sekiro follows Kuro because he is Kuro's shinobi and strongly believes in protecting him. Genichiro wants to use him for his own gains and is the one the soldiers of Ashina are following right now because they think Isshin is old and sickly.

Ok I didn't really understand that Genichiro was in charge, but it makes sense now when you say it.

It just seems a bit confusing when you run around that castle and people are attacking you everywhere and then Genichiro shows up in one building when Isshin is in a tower right next to it. But I guess we are supposed to believe that Sekiro sneaks around in order to meet with Kuro so he can fulfill his various requests.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
For those who finished the game, who's harder in your opinion?

Demon of Hatred, Father Owl or Sword Saint Isshin ?

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Isshin is down. As per usual, I had some really good runs today but always died in phase three or four. When did I actually beat him? On an incredibly messy run, with pure luck.
Overall, I died more often to this guy than to all Dark Souls bosses combined.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I've just given up on this game and deleted it in frustration after trying to
overcome Genichiro
I got to the third form and just died. I've gotten to the third form a few times and thats after many many attempts - 90 minutes at least! I really didn't want to carry on playing because i knew i'd have to keep repeating his other forms again too which are very hard anyway... and its just an act of patience and extreme frustration having to fight him again and again making less than like 3 mistakes and not dying. Reached his third form a few times and each time I'm like nope, he pretty much killed me straight away hardly scratched him.... this isn't really my thing and I don't have the time to sit here making zero progress on a game after 90 minutes. My time is precious.

Fuck this game though I really wanted to like it as I love From Software games and I can see its a well designed game, its not a crap game by any means. I normally only delete a game if its bad... This is probably the first time I've actually given up on a game and I've been gaming since Megadrive days...but something about this just didn't click with me from the start unlike their other Soulsborne games. It felt extremely unforgiving in general compared to anything else. It requires you to play very specifically and theres very little room for error or other tactics. Make just a few mistakes in a boss fight and you're pretty much dead for the duration of the fight.

I've beaten all their previous games and I don't normally give up on games either if they're too hard for me. But this isn't for me. I try to persevere but with this game I just dont want to or have the patience. Knowing theres probably tons more bosses that are gonna be much worse than this one I reached a point with this boss where I thought...am I actually enjoying this game anymore? I died 40 times or more on this boss and I wasn't enjoying it. I was getting better bit by bit maybe but I don't want to play games that way. Not even other Souls games did this. I managed to defeat nearly every boss within ten tries with a few exceptions on their other games. I liked the variety. In here its just either block, dodge or attack for bosses and it requires perfect timing. The skills are useless and just get you killed in a boss fight. They're more useful outside of bosses. The game has three moves pretty much for most scenarios. Deflect, dodge or attack. Not much variety. I just decided to delete it off the PS4 hdd because i just kept dying and thought If im not gonna do it now after learning his patterns in his first two forms I'm never gonna do it as I'll just forget what I've learned if I come back to it. I don't have the patience to keep doing this.

Like its taken me since launch to even reach this boss and that isn't because its actually taken me ages because of its difficullty (although I had lots of problems with Butterfly boss too) its because i havent really been drawn into the game and I've mostly been playing other games so I've been chipping at this one but not really mega keen on it as I haven't been sucked into it. Like after work I think of this game and I'm like oh do i have to do this or have to kill this boss...i don't really want to as it just feels like constantly dying and punishing. Not really something I wanna play after work. Whereas Souls games and Bloodborne I played nonstop until I beat them.

I just couldnt get into this one. I admit defeat but it's not for me. I don't have all the time in the world to constantly keep dying on very punishing boss fights or learn their attack patterns fully after the 50th attempt. I'd rather spend that time where I've actually made progress. It doesn't feel satisfying playing this game more an act of attrition and endurance.
Just come back to it at a later time. You are right, this game has a rigid style it wants you to play by and that can seem kinda limiting when coming from a Souls game and that can also partly affect how you approach the game as well.

Give it a few months and then try again. Now that you know what the game is about, you might be more willing to try and play it on its own terms instead of wondering why this game is not like that other game. This feeling I felt with DS2 and 3 as well and even with this game, if I am being honest. It took me months to get over the fact that I wanted to play the game my way instead of how the game wanted me to play but when I did, I had a much better experience.

SSI, I legit could not even read any of his moves and resorted to cheese strats.

Owl 1 was easy for me but never did Owl 2 and I cannot for the life of me understand why people have trouble with DOH.....he is just a Dark Souls boss.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So regarding the final boss, I think that we can all agree that a) he's fucking great, and b) he's fucking hard.

And the fact that he's fucking hard is interesting by itself, since this is sort of an anomaly in these games. I haven't played Demon's but all the final bosses in DS1, 2 and 3, as well as BB, are usually regarded as being pretty easy and more of an epilogue to the game than a real challenge. Maybe the exception would be Soul of Cinder since he does put up more of a fight but even he's not close to being as demanding as Sekiro's final boss. I mean, the first time I fought Gwyn I didn't even get a look at him since I just melted him with Crystal Soul Spear + Homing Crystal Soul Mass before he even had the chance to say hi.

This makes me wonder, did From really intend for all these final bosses to be so easy, or is it a consequence of the progression system allowing your character's power level to bloat to a degree that by that point the game is not challenging anymore? Sekiro unlike the other games enables them to create a final boss that is very finely tuned to the game's mechanics since they know what you'll be able to do at that point. No more arriving to the boss with a vitality bar that is so long it fills the screen.

I haven't fought Father Owl since I missed my window of opportunity in NG, but SSI was exponentially harder than DoH for me.

Didn't even know it was hitting multiple times. I thought it was some weird attack that got through a block. Game changer. I used the step dodge method but sometimes he would delay the attack and it would screw up my timings.

It's the Ashina Cross, so it's a horizontal slash and a vertical slash ;)

Anyone else think they will add/change something to XP in an update or DLC? Like some item you can buy to convert excess sen into XP.

My guess is we'll get a few more prosthetics (Moonlight greatsword!) and maybe a skill tree.

An item like that would be cool and useful, or even a new balloon to increase XP gained. Weird that we didn't get one at all.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Took off half of Owl (Father)'s HP bar on first try - seems doable.... after many hours to come of grinding out the fight of course! I did kill Owl on my second try, so I feel ok about that. Often human sized bosses I just can't read what they're doing because of their relative size but I don't mind this character because his model is of a decent size that you can actually see his actions clearly.
My brain is fried though after a couple of hours of play, I tried twice and that was enough for today.

It is absolutely not!!

I did cheese him out with the umbrella in the end, my fingers just can't react in time and I was getting chip damage constantly. I did the second Seven Spears fight afterwards, even with Ninjitsu on the first guy I barely scraped by, it wasn't right until the end that I started to remember his moveset from before and reacted a bit better. Took about 6 tries.

I find the bosses so mentally draining, I enjoy exploring the levels but I don't actually think most of the bosses are fun for me. They're the stop-gap I have to endure between the fun bits. I enjoyed GA, CM and that's about it. I'm kind of looking forward to DoH just because it's a big monster, but the final boss will almost definately be out of bounds for me, I don't hold up to the pressure of long fights.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
30 hours in and ive given up on this.

I just got to the boss that puts terror on you with each strike

I cannot do it. I just cannot get the parrying timing right. Its so frustrating. Trading it in once mortal kombat 11 comes out

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017

Without a doubt it is
Demon of Hatred. I got Father Owl down pretty fast after I memorized his formula and SSI was a breeze. The DoH was a mess and took me forever to the point I skipped him in my NG+'s.