• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! The firecrackers were an accident but ended up being effective and I pretty much never used tools during this encounter. As far as the cheese goes, i think i skipped his phase 2 earlier on by accident but thought nothing of it at the time. As im now watching video's online i've notice how standoffish everybody is with them taking allot of his health down. Where i was all up in there doing tons of deflects and parrys to widdle down his posture. Different Shinobi styles i guess lol. The final phase was just pure adrenaline with me not really having a game plan other than jumping in the air to catch the lightning.

That's how I like to fight him too, just sword on sword action. Feels amazing.

or just make an actually GOOD Samurai Champloo Game... :p

I mean... I wouldn't complain. :P

Oct 25, 2017
One week after getting the platinum I still can't get into any other game.

Dropped HZD after three hours, found the openworld way too tedious.
Thought Cuphead cured my post-game-depression, but there are some cheap deaths in this game that I am not in the mood to deal with.
Replayed a little of Persona 5, DQ11, FF12, soon quit since I didn't see myself finishing them anyway.
Now I am just running laps in GT Sport aimlessly.

Never thought I would say this, but Sekiro may have ruined gaming for me (temporarily).
tumblr_inline_pajvtrZYVr1t9lbv6_500.jpg

Conscience

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yes you need a specific item from that battle to get that ending.

Basically after the final boss, if you have the items required for multiple endings, it'll ask you which items you want to use.
No. You only have to defeat him for Purification ending.
You don't need to defeat Owl v2 for the Return Ending, but you can if you want to. Owl v2 is required for Purification only. For Return you need to get both serpent visceras and trade rice/persimmons with the Divine Child a few times.

Rad, thanks for the responses everyone.
Ended up leaving Owl for another run and ended up steamrolling through everything up to Ishiin. Demon of Hatred was a long fight but managed it first try. I feel like I've sequence broken the game because even Ishiin feels fairly easy after a few attempts not to mention the Dragon battle was over before it even began.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Killed the final boss on my first try this morning. It was tedious as hell, but the sense of accomplishment at the end was awesome.

Got the return ending.

symphonask

Oct 28, 2017

Thought Cuphead cured my post-game-depression, but there are some cheap deaths in this game that I am not in the mood to deal with.
Replayed a little of Persona 5, DQ11, FF12, soon quit since I didn't see myself finishing them anyway.

Never thought I would say this, but Sekiro may have ruined gaming for me (temporarily).

Lol this is me. I have DMC5 and RE2 to finish on deck but I'm watching Sekiro speedruns on Twitch.

Oct 28, 2017
It is a cool fight, but his 2nd phase is completely ruining me and I don't see me beating it. It's put a bit of a dampener on the game for me.
If a scrub like myself can get past it than any casual souls fan can do it. It just took studying his moves so that i can make way into his next phase and start studying those moves over. I inched my way through each time and with each death got me just a little closer. Much like most of the bosses leading up to this, theres no trick. Watch my video i posted if you dont mind spoilers. I attacked and defended with no tools. I still feel like parrys are the fastest way to bring down his posture.

Oct 26, 2017
California
After about two to three rounds of paying for info, I killed the peddler. Did I mess my run up? Should I just restart? I'm currently working through the 3 year flashback.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
After about two to three rounds of paying for info, I killed the peddler. Did I mess my run up? Should I just restart? I'm currently working through the 3 year flashback.
Why would you do that lol

You aren't "fucked", but you are missing out on a fairly useful, but non-essential merchant. Since you are so early, restarting could be an option, if you don't mind it, but I'd just suck it up and continue playing.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Let me introduce you to a little game that dropped on Xbox BC last week (even if you've played it before)

fXMsaec.jpg

Last edited:

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
OMG, did you read my mind! I was literally talking about this to my friend!! haha that's amazing. I said give me a fight against a blind samurai in a bamboo forest like Ninja Scroll and my dreams are made.

Amazing!
I had thought of that after just seeing some of the initial trailers for this game and also during the final boss fight where he'll sometimes run alongside you while looking at you - that immediately reminded me of the blind Samurai fight scene from Ninja Scroll.
Boooo! Gimmick boss! Waaaahhh!

j/k, I love gimmick bosses. I'd love an assassination boss myself, it was a bummer we never got any sidequests like that.
I would love a fast-paced Samurai duel in a bamboo forest ala Ninja Scroll.

Like, I would adore it!!

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. Finished NG+ and wondered how many skill points I need to get everything. Still need another 31...

Where's the best place to grind skill points late game? Want to know this so I can work out whether to go to NG+2 or hangaround in NG+ for a bit longer.

Oct 27, 2017
I finished up most of the trophies last night, with the only one left being the skill grind crap. I went back to asscreed odyssey and holy fuck, not a good idea. The combat is so clumsy and I died really easily, it was pathetic on my end :P

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This might be a weird suggestion, but did you played any MH game? Not that they are really similar, but both games are about mastering your enemies and their movesets. MH is definetly a slower more methodical game, but after playing Sekiro I went back to MH and for now is working as a substitute lol.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just can't bring myself to play anyother game. Im on playthrough three and going for the bad ending. Nealy done it in a couple of hours. I love this game but it has ruined everything for me. No interest in any other title.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The Ogre stairway idol on Ashina Outskirts seems the best run for end-game xp farming.

I've been giving that a go and the ministry enemies seem to net between 1100-2500 XP per kill depending on which type they are. You can do a run all the way to the bridge in 1-2 minutes which is decent. Sounds like that's what you're talking about so I think I'll stick to that then, thanks!

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Oh boy. Finished NG+ and wondered how many skill points I need to get everything. Still need another 31...

Where's the best place to grind skill points late game? Want to know this so I can work out whether to go to NG+2 or hangaround in NG+ for a bit longer.

The grind will be boring and time consuming no matter what you do. Depending on your abilities, you could get all skills grinding in endgame NG+ before the time you would make it through NG++.

The Ogre stairway idol on Ashina Outskirts seems the best run for end-game xp farming.

Outskirts Stairs is mentioned a lot and I even used it for a bit, but I've also seen others mention the Castle Antechamber, which ended up being my primary XP grinding spot. Backstab the purple ninja, rest, repeat. In NG+, that's roughly 2100XP every 10-15 seconds. I read a thread somewhere where someone mentioned that the Outskirts stairs ended up being less per minute despite more enemies due to the loading screen for homeward idol or something. Antechamber also provides less room to screw up.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's cuz you're playing the wrong games bruh.

You need to play character action games to scratch that itch.

Get on some DMC5, God Hand, Bayonetta 1, Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden etc.

Metal Gear Rising in particular is the game that Sekiro borrows from heavily for its combat. The stealth is similar too.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Antechamber grind is so incredibly mind numbing though, you can feel your soul being slowly sucked away.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't reload of Outskirts farming run just run back (console, so even slower loading times) - the last enemy I kill is a drop on the guy where the headless sign is, so I make a loop. The purple ninja in Anti-chamber is defintely more xp per minute, but I stick to the stairs because there's also a little bit of combat involved. Running in circles killing one enemy would drive me mad.

I've also used the few enemies around the broken bridge idol in FHP - grapple up, drop down on the spear guy, take out the 2 beard-octo-wizards on way back to idol. Not much better than the Anti-chamber grind though.

Deleted member 22422

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I liked this more. I like the setting. It just doesn't feel good to control. The character has no weight, jumping and clinging to ledges is finicky. Lock ons are unreliable, the camera is troublesome.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Anti-chamber is about 8200XP per minute if you sprint to deathblow the ninja. Though for the sake of not going insane I like switching it up here and there.

Common side effect produced by playing FromSoft games.

May I suggest Nioh as a temporary cure.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I finally beat DoH. Finally! I feel so great. Sucker was hard as stone. Now the final boss is waiting.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very ashamed to admit that after getting to O'rin in NG+ and dying to what I felt was some cheap ass shit, I ragequit by shutting the PS4 off without menu-quitting, and came back to a corrupted save. The bad news is that I turned off auto-uploading saves to the cloud in order to save scum all the endings, and never turned it back on, meaning my most recent recoverable save was at the end of NG.

I gave it a day, loaded it back up, and I'm back into NG+. No ragequitting, though I'm not excited to fight O'rin again. Fuck that goddamn fight. More annoying than DOH or any of the last boss' phases in my opinion.

That said, I'm still enjoying my NG+ run. Skipping minibosses I don't care about, but hitting all the big bosses. Can't wait to fight
Owl (father)
and DOH again. And the last fight.

Did the patch that just came out change anything noticeable or was it just bug fixes?

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about to face
Guardian Ape.
I beat him on my first time through the game, but with the new patch, anyone have anything that might prove useful against him this time?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm very ashamed to admit that after getting to O'rin in NG+ and dying to what I felt was some cheap ass shit, I ragequit by shutting the PS4 off without menu-quitting, and came back to a corrupted save. The bad news is that I turned off auto-uploading saves to the cloud in order to save scum all the endings, and never turned it back on, meaning my most recent recoverable save was at the end of NG.

I gave it a day, loaded it back up, and I'm back into NG+. No ragequitting, though I'm not excited to fight O'rin again. Fuck that goddamn fight. More annoying than DOH or any of the last boss' phases in my opinion.

That said, I'm still enjoying my NG+ run. Skipping minibosses I don't care about, but hitting all the big bosses. Can't wait to fight
Owl (father)

Did the patch that just came out change anything noticeable or was it just bug fixes?

The Sabimaru destroys O'Rin. Not only does it poison it super quickly, it also stuns her temporarily. Also, confetti.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Owl (father)

You know you can skip O'Rin right?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Owl (father)

Run up to her and attack (instead of talking), you'll get a red deathblow prompt just for a split second. Take that one free deathblow lol.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Finally got all the combat arts. Still never intend to equip anything but Ichimonji Double. :|

Now to get the rest of whatever trophies are left. It feels like a really long platinum run, but I don't think I've ever gone for all trophies on a first run before so that's made it feel like forever.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been giving that a go and the ministry enemies seem to net between 1100-2500 XP per kill depending on which type they are. You can do a run all the way to the bridge in 1-2 minutes which is decent. Sounds like that's what you're talking about so I think I'll stick to that then, thanks!

If you want a brain numbing one, do the upper floor in the ashina castle. not kuros room. The one that you jump through window to get too. in the final act theres one of those purple ninjas behind the screen doors at the top of the small stairs. run up around the back of the screen doors and assassinate, run back tot he idol and rinse and repeat. its pretty mind numbing but its sure to get you a lot of XP.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Not terribly. It's not an essential NPC but there's a minor questline related to that NPC. He's also the only one who sells a specific tool, but you can buy this tool via the chest in Dilapidated Temple albeit at a higher price.

does anyone know how big the patch was on ps4?

It was ~90MB on Steam at least.

I uninstalled the game in an attempt to try other games...

Now I'm here doing HUDless runs lol

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is it not possible to get all the achievements by doing the Purification ending in NG and the Shura ending on NG+?...the Shura ending doesn't give you enough Lapis Lazuli so I'm assuming it can't be done this way correct?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
is it not possible to get all the achievements by doing the Purification ending in NG and the Shura ending on NG+?...the Shura ending doesn't give you enough Lapis Lazuli so I'm assuming it can't be done this way correct?
Correct. You'll have to get to the stuff beyond Shura twice to get enough LL to fully upgrade all of your prosthetics. Maybe even three times depending on how many you got your first time through (if you got at least 4 on NG, you're good).

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin

You're playing on PS4? Go for the 3 other endings. Save after final boss. Get ending 1-3. Start ng+ and save before O. Go for Shura ending. Reload. Get 4 Lapis. Win.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland

Correct. Shura ending locks you out of the final area which has Lapis Lazuli. You need 10 total for prosthetic upgrades, but each NG cycle only provides 6. With save scumming, you can get all achievements in at least two playthroughs.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on PC but yeah that sounds like a good way to do it and get all the achievements without having to replay the entire game
Also, there are good videos that show how to get fulminated mercury quickly and relatively fast skill point farming, the latter of which was the biggest chore of them all.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's cuz you're playing the wrong games bruh.

You need to play character action games to scratch that itch.

Get on some DMC5, God Hand, Bayonetta 1, Metal Gear Rising, Ninja Gaiden etc.

Metal Gear Rising in particular is the game that Sekiro borrows from heavily for its combat. The stealth is similar too.
I couldn't imagine going from sekiro to DMC5. I'm glad it was the other way around for me. I think I died like 3 times on the hardest difficulty it let me select. Its was Kh3 levels of easy.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Okay on my first play through and got to the first consequential decision point
I went against Father Owl and now am on that boss fight

My question is about getting multiple endings
I assume if I want to get all 4 endings I would need to preserve the save just prior to that decision. But what about if say I wanted to do just two playthroughs for 4 endings - what are the save points I would need to preserve to get the two endings associated with siding with and against owl father