SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the final boss. The only really tricky phase for me was the second. For the first phase I just kept a somewhat healthy distance and punished his leap attacks. Loaded umbrella + projected force + maintaining distance made the last two phases a cakewalk tbh as the gun attacks were pretty predictable and easy to punish. Incredibly satisfying to beat, and I usually hate gruelling, overly hard bosses.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
He can be cheesed so hard. I really didn't like his pattern much. He was a chore to fight and not the least bit of fun.

They should have either skipped phase 1 or combined phase 2/3 into one.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah uh I'm watching a video of the final boss because this thread intrigued my interest. This game looks insanely hard, it makes Bloodborne look like Knack.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Just watch videos of people beating him and learn to recognize his patterns from a less stressful environment lol.

Took me an hour and a half I think.

Either I've become stronger or he's not as bad as the Chalice bosses from BB.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Slowly figuring out each phase and it getting more and more and more intense. What a final boss.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's kind of whatever you've already learned with the previous bosses, but his first 2 phases have different rhythm that throws you off when he change it up on his final one, I'm surprised some people got stuck on him for so long.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First time to kill him took me about 15-20 tries.One of the best feelings in gaming.Funny how after that i can beat him almost easily now.It;s still super fun and satisying to fight him though.Same for other tough bosses like Owl

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Sensational boss. Although I think Owl 2 is harder overall because of the smaller arena and less cheese opportunities.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Exceptional final boss for an exceptional game. By time I beat him, I felt like a god.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The second phase is the hardest with his variety and range. Third phase is easy cause of lightning spam. I still had more trouble with a certain second fight against an owl.

edit: scratch that, Isshin's fight in another ending was the hardest for me.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
First time was a nightmare I thought I would never get through. It gets easier once you beat it and you "get" the game. I've finish the game multiple times since then and can pretty much one shot him now. That's what I love about FromSoft games. Once it clicks the impossible challenges becomes normal.

the Sekiro experience as made me a better all round gamer I think.

I went back to AC: Odyssey afterwards and was parrying multiple enemies like it was nothing. It definitely refined my reflex.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably my favorite boss of all time and easily the best final boss of any miyazaki game. He was brutal and I loved every single attempt. OP if you havent done a second playthrough to get a different ending you should give it another go. Because old man Isshin might be pretty close to this boss as well (he has some of the most insane moves in the game).

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck at the last boss for the last 2 months. :/
1st phase. easy genchiro fight. practice your mikiri counter and deflect.

2nd phase. tricky. very tricky. deflect everything, he has 3 hit combos, dont bother attacking until he lands all three hits. use umbrella to block his special attacks and projected force to attack after a block. this should be the longest and toughest phase of the fight.

3rd phase. learn to deflect and then mikiri counter his spear attack. its always going to be 3 hits to deflect and then a simple mikiri counter. do that 4 times and get some hits in and you go into the 4th and easiest phase.

4th phase. jump and use lightning reversal to do 20-25% damage per hit. easy peasy.

fight him away from the grass in the patchy middle area to read his attacks better. use umbrella to deflect any special attacks without taking any damage and getting some easy free hits in with the umbrella attack.

edit; use sugar or divine confetti at the start of each phase to give yourself some attack boost.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Owl 2 > Demon of Hatred > Isshin in terms of difficulty

by the time I got to Isshin I felt so attuned with the game's mechanics that it made the entire fight very cathartic after struggling with many other bosses

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Such an awesome fight, struggled a little at first but naturally over time, once more used to the attack patterns and such it became much easier, loved it.

C6sUfDC.gif

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Amazing boss fight, though I've had a harder time with other boss fights in the game (a test of patience for me was Owl 2nd encounter and of course the freaking demon of hatred). It's so amazing with these games how once you get in the rhythm of the fight it honestly feels like a perfectly choreographed dance.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the final boss was actually the easiest for me. at that point all the mechanics had really set in. was a really nice way to drive that feeling of "getting" this game down

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
"IKUZO
SEKIROOOO !"

One of the best final boss ever. Killing the final optional boss of God of War was cathartic, but Isshin ? Orgasmic !

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Took me long enough that I would bully the hell out of Genichiro and first phase Isshin without getting hit

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah uh I'm watching a video of the final boss because this thread intrigued my interest. This game looks insanely hard, it makes Bloodborne look like Knack.
It is a hard game, and very different from Souls games.

But it's not impossible (I'm hardly the best player out there, and I was able to do it with a little struggle and a lot of fun), and once you get in the rhythm of the fights, there's little else like it. A superb game.

2nd phase. tricky. very tricky. deflect everything, he has 3 hit combos, dont bother attacking until he lands all three hits. use umbrella to block his special attacks and projected force to attack after a block. this should be the longest and toughest phase of the fight.
I disagree. I wanted this phase to last longer.

His Ashina cross is ridiculously easy to counter: if you get in his face, he'll switch to a short jab (it's almost impossible to fail deflecting this) followed by a perilous sweep (and he will do this every single time if you get too close when he's holding the stance). (Countering both hits of the cross does a ton of posture damage on him, but it's so easy to get clipped by bad timing that it's not worth it IMO.) And his shockwave attacks are just pick a direction and run (if you're strafing, none of it will ever hit you).

The third and fourth phases were hardest to me, mainly because of his whirlwind attack (you can jump through it, but it's tricky to pull off) and how you can get clipped by some of his combos if you make a mistake.

Last edited:

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
These people that beat him in 2 or 3 tries...how in the actual f#%$. I've platinum'ed every Souls game, beat Nioh on Way of the Nioh, solo'd every chalice dungeon type in Bloodborne. Isshin still took me over 30 tries.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Owl (Father) was more difficult but Isshin is my favorite. Spectacular atmosphere suited for the challenge, it felt like the finale of Lone Wolf and Cub. I played Bloodborne and DS1 for the first time afterwards, few bosses compared to him and none gave me the same satisfaction. I overleveled a lot in those games, which really made me appreciate how Sekiro forced you to beat Isshin on their terms. I still haven't fought his alternate, bad ending version, but this thread has me itching to give it a shot.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
I'm with you OP. I felt so alive when I finally defeat him. And I get the complains about the difficulty spike, but it is so much fun. Sekiro is the ultimate rhythm game.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With all the hype I was expecting to be stuck here for a while but I downed him after 10 tries.

The Owl memory boss on the other hand... must have died 50 times lol

Jun 26, 2018
I loves the isshin fight, but my personal favourite were owl, with all the bullshit he would try to use.

Overall I think Sekiro's bosses are some of the best bosses FromSoft has ever done.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best boss fights I've ever played

Phase 1 & 2 are actually pretty easy, the third and fourth one are more complicated but once you understand his moveset, it becomes doable with a bit of patience.

I'm playing the game now and I'm currently at the third playthrough. This was me at the second playthrough against final boss

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Isshin Sword Saint definitely is a really rough one. Owl Father was the absolute worst though. He's essentially a superboss in my mind. Orphan of KOS from Bloodborne takes the cake though.
I certainly feel better about Genichiro than Orphan. Geni started with me thinking "this is where I quit" and 2 hours later made me feel like a god. Kos started with me thinking "this won't take too long, let's run that back" and 4 hours later made me question if I even enjoy my main hobby.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Second Owl was waaaaay harder for me but Saint it's one of the best final bosses ever.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Amazing fight.

Only thing I would say is that its just a bit too long with the four phases. I would have preferred if the Genichiro phase as removed, but then again by the end I would absolutely destroy him, so it really did make me feel like I improves substantially.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I spent several hours trying and never even got past the second phase. I loved the game, I'm happy for those of you who got to feel accomplished, that fight is bullshit. In a game where every single boss encounter can be a grueling test of endurance and skill, to lock out the ending behind three consecutive fights is just cruel.

Edit: wait are there four phases?!

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but I actually found the last boss fairly beatable and relatively easy compared to other bosses in the game like Guardian Ape or Owl the first time you fight him.

It's a ton of fun that fight though