OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
This boss made me quit the game before I even got to him because it sounds like a total waste of time.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
It's sick how he has all the Ashina style moves and you could instantly recognize most of what he was doing.

I let out a battle cry after i killed him for the first time.

Nov 13, 2017
The design philosophy behind Sekiro was to make a game about clashing swords. This final boss fight absolutely personifies that. What a rush.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
im weak, its where i gave up :(

had a blast with the rest of the game and bosses but for some reason i couldnt get the timing right on the second stage, and it took me a hell of a lot to even get to that part. just got exhausted. would love to revisit it some day

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
I'm not even gonna lie I cheesed Sword Saint by skipping his second form. By got was that skip super hard and specific though

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Four. Goddamn. Hours.

I'll never not respect the sheer guts of From, making a game this hard with a final boss this brutal, being published by Activision and a projected multi million seller. The absolute madmen.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I still haven't beat the final boss. I put the game down for a while expecting to go back to it but now I'm fearful of trying to get through Isshin while being rusty af.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Best final boss of any modern FROM game. The 4 phases, the need to master parry (2nd phase punishes dodging/running a lot) the boss moveset... it's perfection. The best thing is that the game doesn't allow to farm levels/power (well technically you can buy power levels 5 Exp points a level, but it's farming hell), so all players will face the final boss with more or less the same chances.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I thought Genichiro was harder, but Owl 2 and Isshin each took me a solid hour of attempts to beat. It was rough stuff, but both bosses were amazing. I loved both Owl fights and Isshin is just.....

chefkiss.jpg

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It was the hardest part of the game and a major test of patience, but I felt like a god after beating him.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
It's the best dueling boss they have ever made. But personally,I would have liked them to ditch the first phase of Genichiro. Felt like a slog

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Hated this boss like almost every other boss in the game. Took be four days to beat him and after I did, I felt like I wasted four days of my life. Usually I feel some sense of accomplishment when playing FROM games, but Sekiro felt like a colossal waste of time sprinkled with the occasional cool moment.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
3 hours, 5 hours, 8 hours, 10 hours, 3 days...

It's just baffling to me the kind of mindset one would have to find themselves in to put up with that shit for so long, for one single boss fight. That sounds like nothing short of tedious, frustrating bullshit and were it coming from any other developer it would probably be labeled as such but Miyazaki worship is a helluva thing. I respect my time and my sanity much more than that.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
I've beaten every Souls game. I love Sekiro. I played it forever ago. I am still, to this day, at that final boss because it was just a roadblock for me. I always wanted to go back and finish it but I just can't get past the lightning form.

If you got to that form, then you can go back and easily kick his ass. You want him to use his lightning so you can throw it back at him. It takes off a ton of health and does posture damage in addition to giving you a chance to get some attacks in.

Oct 31, 2017
Possibly my favorite boss battle in any game ever.
Also, I remember reading horror stories about how it took "forever" to fight ("tens of minutes") and it was incredibly unforgiving but luckily both claims turned out to be complete bullshit.

Here's the video of my first kill, not a smooth one and as it's plain to see I made plenty of mistakes (more than in some of the previous attempts in fact, including some very stupid ones like completely failing to execute the move I was attempting) and despise all these errors I went through all the four phases in 6 minute, averaging 1:30 for each life bar.

I've seen plenty of videos of people taking less than half that time to kill the guy, like this one:

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
He isn't the hardest boss in the game, but it is probably the most fun fight in the entire game.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
2 and a half hours it took me - the longest it's taken me to kill any boss in a FROM game.

The best feeling I've had killing a boss, feeling my progression to finally getting the kill.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely fantastic fight, and easily From Soft's best final boss in these types of games.
Unlike most people, I struggled with the first Isshin form with the sword most. The spear and glock phases were way easier for me to deal with.

Murman

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah i'd say its roughly 15% about will. Then you got 20% skill but with about 10% luck you can make it. Most importantly you gotta realise there's 50% pain involved and when you pull through, 5% pleasure awaits.

This boss was great. One of the things I love most in any action game is when the person you're fighting is the same as you, like Dante vs Vergil levels. Really fun fight.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This boss made me quit the game before I even got to him because it sounds like a total waste of time.

video games in general are a waste of time

can´t understand how someone plays a game and quits at the final boss tbh

and yes, it is one of the best final bosses i´ve played in 30 years of gaming

It's just baffling to me the kind of mindset one would have to find themselves in to put up with that shit for so long, for one single boss fight. That sounds like nothing short of tedious, frustrating bullshit

because some people like to beat their games/overcome a challenge, doesn´t matter how long it takes. might be an alien concept to you but it exists.

Aug 10, 2019
I love that he's fighting you out of respect for Genichiro's sacrifice even though he's not completely onboard with Genichiro's ideals. It's such a Samurai mentality that perfectly fits within the character and the story. It's truly a beautiful fight..

Last edited:

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great boss, but as a test of will I had far more difficulty with castle Genichiro. By the time I reached ISS I felt I'd mastered anything the game could throw at me.

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It took me 8 hours, I was so exhausted that I didn't feel any joy / sense of accomplishment, I was just glad it was over :(

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's just baffling to me the kind of mindset one would have to find themselves in to put up with that shit for so long, for one single boss fight. That sounds like nothing short of tedious, frustrating bullshit and were it coming from any other developer it would probably be labeled as such but Miyazaki worship is a helluva thing. I respect my time and my sanity much more than that.

Stockholm Syndrome the thread

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
Didn't find the fight hard at all. Took me a couple of tries to learn his patterns. The two apes were the hardest for me and the lady looking for her lost lover but she's optional.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I still believe Genichiro is still the game's most notable boss, even if many others are more difficult or spectacular. It served as the ideal milestone to cap off the first act, both in the narrative (now Kuro's been saved and you can work on his real objective) and gameplay-wise (you'll need to use everything you've learned up to this point), all from a relatively simple sword duel in an open space. Stylistically it was exactly the kind of fight I bought the game for.

I felt my skill at the game change from pre-Genichiro to post-Genichiro far more than any other fight in the game.

Last edited:

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Hated it at first, but when you finally understand the dance between you and Isshin, it's up there with some of the best boss fights in the industry.

Hesitation is Defeat

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The thing is that even if it's an insanely hard fight (or, at least, for me it was that hard), it always feels like a fair challenge. Even if you lose tens of times, you still feel that you can do it just improving a little bit. The boss doesn't pull any strange tricks, he's just ruthless and makes you pay for every mistake.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
It was a great fight, probably my favorite From Software boss fight. The amazing thing is that he telegraphs many of his hits, but it's still a challenge to learn to deal with them, and when you get the hang of it, it feels good.

Then he just goes off the rails in his later forms. But even then, there is a pretty clear path to victory, and you can see through the chaos. It's a great, thrilling fight.

It helps that Isshin is also an interesting character in the game, and you're facing him in one of those "don't hate you, but it's inevitable" encounters.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic boss. Don't know how many tries it took me (within 2 hours though cause I remember it taking only a small sitting). I had a harder time with the Demon fight but Sword Saint Isshin is more memorable.

Here is my first kill against him, so excuse the slop, but I'll post it since a few others posted theirs (It was also the first time I hit phase 3 so that was a rush in and of itself):

Oct 31, 2017
Stockholm Syndrome the thread
Imagine being this bitter about someone having fun with a challenge.

The thing is that even if it's an insanely hard fight (or, at least, for me it was that hard), it always feels like a fair challenge. Even if you lose tens of times, you still feel that you can do it just improving a little bit. The boss doesn't pull any strange tricks, he's just ruthless and makes you pay for every mistake.
Not to mention I'm fairly sure some of these claims about "triing it for ten hours straight" were more than a bit hyperbolic.
I'm very far from being a particularly skilled player (as my video in the previous post clearly shows) and I think it took me something like a hour and half of repeated attempts to beat him AT MOST (which means something in the 15-20 tries ballpark).

And every single time despise cursing like a madman I could see where I was making mistakes and what I needed to do better.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
The boss wasn't even hard?
It's a constant with the From Software games for some reason: people love to paint them as "insanely hard" when they are typically just on the challenging side of things.
I recently replayed both the first two Darksiders games and let me tell you that at their hardest setting, at least in the first hours before you start gathering power ups, they can be far harder (and way more frustrating) than anything Sekiro had to offer.
They are just an example among many.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im still stuck at the boss where you have a branch to which ending to get. I was so stressed with school that i had to stop for both physicaly and mentaly sake

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thoroughly get off on beating a boss that tests the living shit out of you (as in, forces you to up your game), and this one most definitely did. The rush of joy when you finally beat them is something I fucking love about games.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It took me a lot of tries to get past Phase 1 only to find out Phase 2 and i stood there even longer, but i got to beat Phase 3 on my first try out of luck lol.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Lies. Everyone knows that I had to teach you how to beat it.

And that's why I apparently took 3 weeks to beat it, because you taught me.

40325.jpg

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

Your loss. He is an amazing boss. You shouldn't take examples in here like "I took weeks to learn him" serious because everybody is different. When I reached him I died a couple of times and went to sleep. Next evening I beat him after an hour. Not much of a timewaste, every try was amazing.