• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point? Do we need new consoles now? We just had the mid gen console updates released, and now we're already talking about a new generation? I could wait a few years, no problem. If they do release PS5 within a year+, it better have full bc though, or I'm not gonna even consider it for a long time.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Sony feels sales are about to peak for PS4, and we'll start to see some decline next year, so they're getting out ahead of that with PS5? Also, many in and outside of the industry felt 7 years was too long, and so maybe Sony wants to avoid that again? Additionally, given X just launched, ME probably won't have a new Xbox ready next year. If PS5 gets up to a year headstart, it will dominate next-gen without question.

I think it will dominate regardless of when MS launch their next-gen system simply because of the brand power they possess, but I don't think MS are unable to launch their next box alongside PS5 just because they launched the X like 6 months ago. I'm sure they have R&D working on it as we speak and they've most likely worked on it for years. 2019 seems like it's a year too early even for Sony though IMO. As much as long generations were disliked, they seem to be a tad necessary given the long development cycles in the industry today, and they're only going to get longer as hardware power increases and consumer expectations rise. Bring on a 2019 launch though, I'm done with the current gen personally.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Then Sony shouldn't have bothered to release the PS4 Pro. What exactly what the point again? Because, honestly that's not very trustworthy and not a very good look of a market leader. This would be reckless and not something a company that values their customers would do.

The idea of a successful company is put the people that buy your product first and basically they are saying well, now that you wasted $400 with a PS4 Pro, you will now have to pay $500 for a PS5 a couple of years later. Not a good look. Oh and that we lied about 4K on the PS4 Pro as well.

Sony's greatest trick this gen was letting people assume that the PS4 Pro somehow meant a longer lifespan for the console. They never said that at any point. It doesn't, and it was just a product for people who wanted 4K output to stop new TV owners defecting to high end PCs. It will no more extend the PS4's lifespan than the PS2 slim or PS3 slim did.

A few people on this board will kick off about it but ultimately that won't make a jot of difference to the mass market; it will sell mega numbers at launch and the rest will be history

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's greatest trick this gen was convincing people the PS4 Pro somehow meant a longer lifespan for the console.

Here's the thing though, they explicitly denied that it'd extend the generation. They also denied that generations are over. People are convincing themselves based on absolutely nothing.

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
Both Sony and MS will be crucified if they drop the next-gen so soon after the half step consoles. We will see next-gen (either unveilings or on shelves) in 2020 at the soonest.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I thougnt it was made clear the pro wasn't a new generation but people here are acting like it was? It was never marketed as a next gen console it was still attached to the ps4 family. It was a test to see if how console gamers would adopt a mobile like upgrade cycle with a new model coming every year. Or in this case 3 years in. It was an experiment that worked and as a result i think console generations sre going to get shorter. Maybe it won't be called ps5 maybe it will be another ps4 pro 2.0. Sony did kind of hint this might be the route they go.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Next year is Demon's Souls 10 anniversary, maybe this is why Sony wants the PS5 out by then

:-O

PS5 and Demons 8K remake

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
2019 Q3 sounds good to me. And very plausible.

Side note: TLOU released in Q1/2 of 2013, and we got the PS4 in the same year. TLOU part 2 will likely release in Q1/2 of 2019 so we will see a repeat of history with the PS5 releasing in the same year? I'd bet on it since it worked well before.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Here's the thing though, they explicitly denied that it'd extend the generation. They also denied that generations are over. People are convincing themselves based on absolutely nothing.

Yeah but even when we were all on the old site, when did that stop us? :P

You only need to look at the Dark Souls Remastered thread to see people expressing utter disappointment at things they imagined but Bamco never even said or suggested.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
2019 for the PS5 is what im betting on. Few years of cross gen games to fill in the gaps for a bit. I wonder when MS would launch...the next year?

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
The PS4 had a cutting edge apu when it launched.

The apu in the PS4 was years ahead of anything available to the pc market.

Semi accurate guessed a Feb/Mar 2014 launch for the PS4 but it actually launched Nov 2013 (5 months ahead of their educated guess.)

I fully expect a e3 reveal and a Feb 2019 launch at the latest. They are correct about the dev kits and I think they are ready.

The bit about the VR is by far the most exciting. I fully expect to see a 4K vr headset and updated motion controls at a minimum.

—————

2018 is realistic.

Mark Cerney pretty much confirmed as such when he stated 4k will require 8tf and their next console will be 4k.

Two years ago, everyone at gaf was guessing that the next gen will start 2018, 5 years after the last one. That was likely Sony's timetable as well.

Sony was likely feeling heat from the XB1 back when it got announced in 2016 so they probably aimed for 2018.

Vr desperately needs the upgrade and Sony wants to get vr working properly ASAP.

————
The PS5 launching 2018 means that it will be built on 10-14nm, ie. It won't be that powerful. It likely will just have crossgen games for the first two years.

An XB2 in 2020 could be built on 3-5nm, feature HBM2 ram and be significantly more powerful.

Microsoft's biggest screw up is not making the XB1 compatible with the Oculus, the Vice or their own VR headsets. VR is going to be big next gen and MS allowed Sony to get a solid foothold completely unopposed (though the current PSVR headset and motion controllers are of very poor quality imo, the next ones won't be).

2018 PS5 means most likely 14nm, 2019 PS5 means limbo 14-7nm. Mass volume production of 7nm is expected for 2019 . Based on Navi? plausible. wont be that powerful? I digress. Lets not forget 1- what Sony-AMD did with the Pro chip (duplication will be the key. As you can see with ryzen, and mainly on EPIC), 2- AMD-INTEL with their SOC chip for next gen laptops, 3- what GG and ND can achieve using a under powered jaguar chip.

XB2 on 3-5nm? I dont see it happening at all. 7-10nm finfet or Lpp most likely. Even for 10nm that would mean subsiding the fabs mainly from Intel. Samsung, GoFlo, TSMC are jumping from 14 to 7nm. Side note: N7 from TSMC will enter risk production in Q1 2019 meaning Apple will get the first ones.

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/7252-tsmc-5nm-euv-update-2018-a.html

Now returning on the main subject of the thread. A E3 Reveal would be good but if you need to wait until 2019 announce it in April E3 2019 and release it at the same time.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
#team2019 since the pro launch in 2016

as for software. I think games will be backward/forward compatible meaning the PS5 wont have an issue with a weak launch lineup and PS4 can continue to be relevant after the new console ships.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yes indeed. I agree with you. I just tweaked that sentence to say 'let people assume' instead of convince. They did let people assume on forums like this that it would extend the gen even though they never said so. And people lapped it up.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Between the PS5 almost certainly having PS4 BC, and the future price drops the PS4 will get ($199, $149, maybe even the magic $99), the PS4 will continue to sell and be supported for a long-ass time, likely until 2025 or so.

But what will that support look like? If it's anything like the last years of support for the PS3 or the 3DS, no thanks.

There are going to be /so many/ cross-gen games in the first couple of years that it won't even matter.

Devs are not stupid. PS5 is undoubtedly gonna be backwards compatible, and PS4 install base's amazingly huge and keeps growing, so in my opinion it's safe to say that even with PS5 in 2020 we'll see lots of cross-gen games until, like, 2022.

Cross gen games are so problematic. First, does anyone ever want the inferior version if they could avoid it? You'll just be settling and it's hard to enjoy an inferior product when you know the better experience is available. Second, the superior version will just be held back for the worse. Look at MLB the Show. Once PS3 support ended, the game took a much bigger leap for the better. Also, I don't know how you can be so sure BC will be part of PS5.

Also, I picked up PSVR as well. Really don't want that to be replaced so soon and have all developers jump ship.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just want to greet KindaFunny Team if there reading now...
Cant wait on todays KindafunnyGamesDaily... Just saw Andycortez like Nibels Twitter Post

Last edited:

Wololo

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Would a launch this year do more harm than good?

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew Sony was going to get all arrogant and do something crazy like this. So this is what they've slowly been seducing us to with their services like PS+ and PS Now. A $1000 subscription just to be able to read things on your console.

*ducks*

your inability to read or comprehend and readiness to pop in and make a troll post is something else.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be 2020. 2018 is wishful thinking. Why would they even want to release it in 2018? Even 2019 is ridiculous. They'll pimp it at the E3 after next. And it'll hit the shelves in 2020

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
2018 lol? Not a chance.

The sooner we will see a PS5 is in 2019, but the most realistic launch year is 2020.

Wololo

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think 2020 is stretching the wait to far a bit we would be entering 360/ps3 territory with the generation dragging out. 2019 is the sweet spot imo.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I like how the last weeks thread was all like "2019? You are out of your mind! 2020 at the earliest!"

And a week later "2018? You are out of your mind! 2019 at the earliest!"

Anyway, 2018 is not happening but 2019 does seem more and more likely if the reports on dev kit tsunami keep on coming. E3 should be telling.

Wololo

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Depends how long they've been working on it specs can still change at this point. When would they have to lock down specs for a 2019 launch? A few months from now at the latest?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is the good things. If 2018 would be true, the console will be unveiled at E3. No change it's later.

If this rumors of mass dev kits are true, we'll here something from other outlets, parties, individuals soon.

The biggest unknown: Chipsize and Power. Zen and Navi means nothing without that.
That will make or break a feasible 14/16 or 7nm SOC and release window.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
What if it is just another PS4 upgrade? The PS4 Advanced or something. Just for Sony to say they own the most powerful console once again....
I could see that releasing this year. And I would sigh hard if it does..

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damian Thong might end up being right with the 2018 (haven't read shit you guys wrote but I'm seeing 2018's in some posts).
Also you don't need to pay for a subscription to come to the conclusion they did with those bullet points, I did it ages ago just by following AMD roadmap and using logic + timeframe.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
2018 would be quite a shocker. Hell, up until yesterday I would have been surprised with a release in 2019.

Would be a good change of pace though to release a new console without this grand hype for 2 years or so. Always like this about Apple because usually when they announce a new product it's released only weeks later.

Wololo

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
What if it is just another PS4 upgrade? The PS4 Advanced or something. Just for Sony to say they own the most powerful console once again....

That's what I was thinking what if they just keep upgrading the ps4? Kinda like Windows 10 supposedly being the last os which Ms will just keep updating what if Sony just keep upgrading the ps4?

Oct 27, 2017

Phase out the base model, make the Pro the 'base' and introduce a newer pimped out version.

Not sure if that would require a new devkit though...

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can believe Sony giving out devkits early, but I don't think it's because the console is to be released in 2018.

In Jason Schreiber's book some devs said that they were taken aback by PS4's success because their analysts told them it wouldn't be that big of a hit so they were scrambling to develop games for the console(s) late.

Maybe this time they decide to get in as early as possible. The PS5 will most probably be released in 2019 but at least the devs will have an earlier time to develop games for the system.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Its still 2020 for me. They have exclusives for the next 2 years laid out. The PS4 is absolutely in its prime right now. Last of Us 2, DeathStranding and Ghost being the tentpoles from 2019 - March 2020 with a reveal and build up to release that November.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
2020 for PS5 please. By then they should have fantastic launch titles and good mix of things like 360/XB1 cross gen releases.
IMO, I think those of us with a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X feel like we have some runway left.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4K baby and still without UHD drive :P, underwhelming here we come once again?
If Sony want the most powerful console then they are going completely wrong about it because won't last long if they go with 2018 or early 2019.
Hopefully Semi-Accurate claiming dev-kits being sent out is just speculation and nothing concrete is happening just yet.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want PSVR 2 with a much higher fidelity for RE8. It's time for VR to get mainstream.

emmerrei

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
For sure the new consoles are lickely to get released in the Q4 2019 or Q1 2020, so i don't really believe this "leaks". It's pretty obvious the new console is going to use the newer amd hardware, and avalaible out there there is only the ryzen series, so 100% mount something like a ryzen 5 2400g or better with a better Vega graphics. (56-64). System memory? Would say 16gb? With the price of today, it's unlikely, but for sure for do the "jump" theny need to pump that number a bit. Let say 12gb of ram. SSD?hybrid? Nah, 7200 (hopeful)/5400rpm hdd as always, and everygo, the new console.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 for PS5 please. By then they should have fantastic launch titles and good mix of things like 360/XB1 cross gen releases.
IMO, I think those of us with a PS4 Pro/Xbox One X feel like we have some runway left.

Even the base PS4 looks pretty good. I hope the next consoles will deliver more grunt and shows a significant increase to visual fidelity.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
2018 doesn't seem plausible because nothing resembling Navi will be ready this year. 2019 on other hand is a lock, Ryzen 2, Navi and 7nm process are all expected next year.

Can't wait for consoles to step out of the dark ages of 30fps gaming.