• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
DEMOCRATIC SEN. BEN Cardin is making a behind-the-scenes push to slip an anti-boycott law into a last-minute spending bill being finalized during the lame-duck session, according to four sources familiar with the negotiations.

The measure, known as the Israel Anti-Boycott Act, was shelved earlier amid concerns about the infringement of free speech, after civil liberties groups argued that the original version would have allowed criminal penalties for Americans who participate in a political boycott of Israel. Some of the more aggressive elements of the provision have been removed under pressure, but the American Civil Liberties Union, which spearheaded the initial opposition to the bill, is still strongly opposed.

In a letter to Congress, the ACLU warned that the amended version still creates unconstitutional restrictions on free speech. "We understand the Senate is considering attaching a revised version of S. 720 to the end-of-the-year omnibus spending bill, and we urge you to oppose its inclusion," reads a letter dated December 3.

On Monday, incoming Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., became the second member of Congress to publicly endorse the Boycott, Sanctions, and Divestment movement, or BDS, which Cardin's measure is meant to combat. She joined incoming Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., who had become the first to publicly endorse it. Neither would be able to vote on the measure, as they won't be sworn in until January.

The Senate measure, which has a House companion, is part of a broad push to undermine support of BDS in both the U.S. and Europe, often conflating the boycott with anti-Semitism. According to the activist group Palestine Legal, which monitors anti-BDS legislation across the country, as of June 2018, 25 states had enacted laws punishing businesses that choose to boycott Israel. In 2017, one city in Texas even required businesses to certify that they would not boycott Israel before receiving hurricane aid.

The Israel Anti-Boycott Act, which was introduced last year by Cardin and Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, would amend the 1979 Export Administration Act to allow penalties for companies who join boycotts of Israel called for by international institutions — like the United Nations or the European Union. The new version clarifies that people cannot face jail time for participating in a boycott, but the ACLU has argued that it still leaves the door open for criminal financial penalties. Defenders of the bill say that it is strictly aimed at preventing companies from facing pressure to boycott Israel and that it is not meant to restrict an individual's free speech.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/04/israel-anti-boycott-act-lame-duck/

There is going to continue to be bipartisan support for Israel apartheid....until we have an actual mainstream conversation in America about apartheid.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgusting. Members in both parties tripping over themselves to see who can undermine democratic values for Israel and Benjamin.

Oct 27, 2017
At least this article led to me researching which major exports to boycott from Israel.

Seems that us on the individual level have to do our best to send Israel a message until our government can grow morals and establish some sense of justice.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb/bad regardless of your feelings on the actual BDS stuff. Reaching out to your local rep in addition to a Senator on this might be useful because the short-term spending bill is going to have to go through the House as well, and Pelosi's been a veto point on that due to Ryan's inability to whip his votes leading them to keep making compromises with the Dems.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
This is blatantly unconstitutional.
Lobbying needs to be banned ASAP.

Call your reps.
I mean, lobbying as a whole is just any attempts to influence a politician. For example, last week when I met with a Texas State House Rep to advocate for specific legislation to improve voting rights, I was lobbying. Politics would honestly be significantly less representative and we'd be in an even worse place without those sort of interactions

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As of now,there are only 2 senators who support BDS on the record, and those two are the Justice Democrats who just won. Even Bernie occasionally waffles despite taking a stronger stand in instances of Israeli violence than pretty much anyone else in the senate. People gotta stay woke

I mean, lobbying as a whole is just any attempts to influence a politician. For example, last week when I met with a Texas State House Rep to advocate for specific legislation to improve voting rights, I was lobbying. Politics would honestly be significantly less representative without those sort of interactions

I think what he means is lobbying for things that are regressive, and/or corrupt. Like big corporations lobbying or things like this. In general, foreign governments lobbying American congressmen for preferential treatment should be a pretty big deal considering Trump's corruption with his personal stakes in certain countries based on his businesses

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is bullshit. Masochists deserve inclusion just as much as anyone else.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those times where actually writing and calling your Democratic Senators and Members of Congress can make actually make difference.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck AIPAC and fuck everyone pushing this unconstitutional trash. No one should be supporting this even if you're not a supporter of BDS

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so stupid. Even if it wasn't heinously unjust as a concept, how the fuck does anybody implement this. Some federal prosecutor's gunna... check your credit card statements and then charge you if you've never bought a soda stream?

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Originally, the bill said that you could face harsh jailtime sentences for it, but it was knocked down to being able to be charged in terms of monetary crack down

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anybody remember the comedian in Germany who was going to get prosecuted for criticizing Erdogan? Can you imagine if the US was like that? Like getting jailed or fined for not supporting some foreign nation. What are freedoms good for if some other nation can demand that you be jailed or fined and it actually happens? What the hell is going on

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
For you free speech concern trolls who pop up in every thread about deplatforming neo-nazis from private websites, here we actually have a true attack on free speech by the government for ya'll to go ham in. Have at it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is it about Isreal
Depends on who you are talking about.

Conservatives? Many of them have an evangelical christian bent, which teaches that the Jewish people must be in Jerusalem for Jesus to return and cause the Rapture.

Liberals? Some people buy into the "all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitism" crap.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Bernie Sanders is part of the group who oppose the BDS movement.

He lost me there.

I understand your anger.

I still support him generally and and am optimistic on his ability to be moved on the subject of BDS when push comes to shove, as he has been very critical of Israeli settlements and Netty's government previously. But yeah, not taking a stand on BDS is just sad. We need as many people as possible on the BDS train, and there are only a handful in the congress as of now.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
The stranglehold Israel has on so many of our politicians is fucking puzzling and infuriating.

Jan 31, 2018
It's honestly weird how subservient the US is towards Israel. So many politicians like Schumer, Cuomo, 99% of republicans, etc., openly favour Israel's interests over the States'.

Yeah, yeah, rapture, lobbying, military complex, bla bla bla. It's still incredibly weird.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think what he means is lobbying for things that are regressive, and/or corrupt

Correct. Plus I think only individual citizens should be able to donate to politicians. This BDS ban is proof that corporations aren't the only groups that will use their resource to make this country worse.

Yeah, that's going straight to the courts for being highly unconstitutional.

Rob Portman doesn't get a flying fuck what I think. God fuck this state.

It won't hurt to call. The worst they can do is ignore you.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

Conservatives? Many of them have an evangelical christian bent, which teaches that the Jewish people must be in Jerusalem for Jesus to return and cause the Rapture.

Liberals? Some people buy into the "all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitism" crap.
Yeah, it's their "Christian duty" to protect the "Holy Land"... or some BULLSHIT like that.

Deleted member 20603

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Can't an all-powerful deity just...cause the rapture regardless of where people are? If people believe a god is omnipotent, why do they insist on placing these arbitrary limitations on a being capable of bringing back the dead, creating the universe, etc.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Fuck this noise. Incoming democratic members? These people need to be better than just "anti-Trump."

Will we ever have real progressive politicians in office?!

Is there a list of every democrat who signed or would agree to sign this?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand your anger.

I still support him generally and and am optimistic on his ability to be moved on the subject of BDS when push comes to shove, as he has been very critical of Israeli settlements and Netty's government previously. But yeah, not taking a stand on BDS is just sad. We need as many people as possible on the BDS train, and there are only a handful in the congress as of now.
Setting aside policy, the symbolism of BDS being very close to the same approaches led by many of the same countries in the region that were used to attempt to stop Israel from existing is something that can cause people (myself included) being very uncomfortable with endorsing wholesale because of the possibility of an unintended implication.

I absolutely think the US should be leveraging its relationship to pressure reforms and such. And you don't need BDS to do that, there's plenty the US can do on its own or in concert with others outside that framework.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't an all-powerful deity just...cause the rapture regardless of where people are? If people believe a god is omnipotent, why do they insist on placing these arbitrary limitations on a being capable of bringing back the dead, creating the universe, etc.
You are applying logic to something that is not based in logic. People believe that because it's what's in the Bible.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Most evangelicals ignore the part of revelations where it says only the father knows when the end will come.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Setting aside policy, the symbolism of BDS being very close to the same approaches led by many of the same countries in the region that were used to attempt to stop Israel from existing is something that can cause people (myself included) being very uncomfortable with endorsing wholesale because of the possibility of an unintended implication.

I absolutely think the US should be leveraging its relationship to pressure reforms and such. And you don't need BDS to do that, there's plenty the US can do on its own or in concert with others outside that framework.

A fair point as usual Kirb. We just need more people critical of Israel's policy and are willing to fight back against it in general. But BDS has become synonymous with that kind of struggle because of how much it is maligned unfairly by people wishing to shut down all criticism of Israel's government as anti semetic.

Although he has not really be supportive of BDS, he has signaled that when push came to shove, the taxpayer money the US goverment funnels to Israel through joint military exercises, weapons contracts and plain givaways should be atleast partially contested to get the government of Israel to play ball on the peace process and settlements.

And that disassociated with BDS is something i think should be some sort of litmus test for 2020 if there was some sense

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Jail time, the fact that this thread is in the bottom of Eras thread is depressing.

Your politicians are actively trying to take away your rights and jail you for em, even those "good guys" the Democrats.

But barely anyone cares, they rather have a 10 page thread over a Trump tweet.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jail time, the fact that this thread is in the bottom of Eras thread is depressing.

Your politicians are actively trying to take away your rights and jail you for em, even those "good guys" the Democrats.

But barely anyone cares, they rather have a 10 page thread over a Trump tweet.

Most Democratic politicians dont want to criticize Israel.

I think the subject of Israel is a serious test of people and their thoughts on morality.. we dont back politicians who will go against Israel, instead we back politicians who are Israel friendly. This being the case on Era considering Era's strong criticism of Israel is odd to me. Oh, well.

It took Obama a long time to realize Israel dont care what U.S thinks and he still refused to allow UN binding resolutions through.

I think Bernie is the only potential presidential candidate that would do anything meaningful there. Dont need the Senate or House, just let legally binding rules through the Security Council.

He could also use it as leverage to get meaningful legislation through too.

As for this legislation, it will likely be challenged and ruled unconstitutional if passed even by a conservative court in my view, so I'm not too worried.