signal

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif
lol

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yeah, Romney's not proposing $1K/month flat, he's proposing $1K followed by playing it by ear (which isn't unreasonable.)

This is again, cash stimulus, not UBI. We've done it before.

Thank you! Finally someone who is actually reading this instead of jumping to conclusions. THIS IS NOT UBI.

People see $1000 and immediately assume it's per month. Crazy.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like my thousand dollars please

I feel selfish accepting it since my life isn't changed by the virus but fuck it

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
exactly.

he's basically persona non grata in terms of the GOP right now. He probably said this knowing nothing will come of it, but knows it will look good.

It probably won't happen, but Mitt Romney getting out there for it at least gives cover for Dems to embrace it without fear, and I hope for at least a significant wing of the party to move towards UBI as a permanent idea instead of just a crisis-time one.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I feel like doing this for a few months would have been better than just blowing that 1.5T like we did last week.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you give me $1000 a month I promise to stimulate the economy by immediately spending it on consumer goods.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'd be fine if this even was limited to people working in jobs/industries that would be hard effected by this type of thing like restaurants, bars, gyms, etc and I'm someone who this definitely does not apply to

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
If we get that they would eliminate unemployment insurance or something like that. I'd rather just get an unemployment check.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's to stimulate the economy, but I expect people will save it, not spend it.
Anyone working in the hospitality industry is NOT going to be saving it.
I feel like doing this for a few months would have been better than just blowing that 1.5T like we did last week.
.... we didn't blow 1.5T. The Fed does not have the power to spend money and write checks. That's Congress's job.

The "1.5T" was in overnight lending to increase liquidity in banking markets. It's an increase in the money supply, not an increase in government expenditures.

Oct 27, 2017
Italy has just adopted this measure. Tomorrow we'll see if Spain does the same.

It's fucking obvious that people will need money. We can't go out to work because our governments are telling us not to. Saving up is extremely difficult these days. We will need the money. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Podemos (left-left) puts enough pressure on the Labor Party (PSOE, center-left) to implement a similar measure here.

On topic, good luck with that USA. Your Commander-in-Shit doesn't give two turds about the people.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if it took a real national crisis to push the country to be in at least the same sports complex as modern nations and fractured Trump's base.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, that money is going mostly towards paying bills for a lot of us instead of saving or spending. But this is still a good gesture, especially for those who don't have the luxury of working from home.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't complain if they sent a 1 thousand dollar check out to everyone, but no way would the Trump led Senate pass such a bill. I will say we could use it. We're behind on a couple of bills.

Last edited:

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
This happened in '01 and '08? I don't remember getting that at all and I was an adult American at that time.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Anyone working in the hospitality industry is NOT going to be saving it.

You might as well say most people who fall under the poverty line wont be able to save it. They'll likely spend it on rent/utilities/food because thats mostly all they can do with their existing income. Honestly it may not do much for the economy but people will feel a hell of a lot better having a little more breathing room even if its for a short while.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Nevermind, I thought this was monthly